News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Philosophical Question:

Are Hot Toys "high end toys" or something more?

petebuster1

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 16, 2015, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: ARUL on January 16, 2015, 07:43:16 AM
Quote from: sauroid on January 16, 2015, 06:19:57 AM
by making a figure with articulated parts, Rebor is contradicting their "non-toy" claim for their figures.

Yes agree, please bring rebor trex back to top 10 best trex toys

I agree. The fact that you can through the Tyrannosaurus from one corner of the sandbox to the other without breaking makes it a toy ;D.
A bit ridiculous comments imo, anything can be a toy if you want to play with it,articulated parts is irrelevant that doesn't mean anything (so does a car or a house would you buy a five year old one?), would i buy a Rebor for my grandson -NO but i would get a papo,collecta etc then yes.
If some want to play with them fine,  how they'd hold up as a toy i've no idea but i personally could only see these as display peices. I'll leave it to someone to play with one and see how long it lasts ;D All a bit of a pointless topic either way.

Arul

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 16, 2015, 10:44:11 AM
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 16, 2015, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: ARUL on January 16, 2015, 07:43:16 AM
Quote from: sauroid on January 16, 2015, 06:19:57 AM
by making a figure with articulated parts, Rebor is contradicting their "non-toy" claim for their figures.

Yes agree, please bring rebor trex back to top 10 best trex toys

I agree. The fact that you can through the Tyrannosaurus from one corner of the sandbox to the other without breaking makes it a toy ;D.

Out of curiosity, would you then argue for the Rebor T. rex to be excluded from the 'best T. rex statue' poll when we run that? Or do you think it should appear in both toy and statue polls?

In my opinion rebor is a toy sir...Statue cant move at all, rebor have articulated parts, just like other toy brand but rebor have a stunning sculp that make them look like a statue quality maybe i can call it "high caliber toy". But actually its up to the author and the dominant opinion from the forum member

petebuster1

I would have thought it was up to the person buying it, its an opinion that doesn't make it a fact, dominant? someone superior? :)) or not, I don't think rebor see them as toys and i doubt very few people who buy them will.unless they're under 12, nothing on them will move unless you move it ;D. Its a statue if you do nothing with it, a toy if you want to play with it, either way Still a silly pointless topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Went at the toy vs statue question via the dictionary method...consider !!!

Statue-

a three-dimensional work of art, as arepresentational or abstract form, carved in stoneor wood, molded in a plastic material, cast inbronze, or the like.

Toy-
1.an object, often a small representation ofsomething familiar, as an animal or person, forchildren or others to play with; plaything.
2.a thing or matter of little or no value orimportance; a trifle.
3.something that serves for or as if for diversion,rather than for serious pratical use.
4.a small article of little value but prized as asouvenir or for some other special reason;trinket; knickknack; bauble.
5.something diminutive, especially in comparisonwith like objects.
6.an animal of a breed or variety noted forsmallness of size:
The winning terrier at the dog show was a toy.
7.a close-fitting cap of linen or wool, with flapscoming down to the shoulders, formerly worn bywomen in Scotland.

Based on definitions it states several times in different was a toy should have little or small value....given Rebors prices I think given the definitions that their products are not qualified as toys based on the practical definitions
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Something to bear in mind- in one of their previous posts they said that their models were suitable for adults and children. If they are suitable for a child to play with, are they not considered toys?

If they are not, then why are the labelling their toys as okay for kids to play around with in the first place?

Tallin

When they say that, I imagine them meaning that their product could feature in a child's collection, but not to be used as a toy - when I was a kid I used to collect figurines, but I knew they were valuable so I didn't use them as conventional toys.

To me, a product is a toy is it is primarily marketed at children. A model/figurine/statue is marketed at adults/serious collectors. Who the actual end user turns out to be is irrelevant; I think it's the company's intentions for the product that dictate whether it is a toy or 'statue'.

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt's also been stated what exactly does museum class mean (another thread) but as I stated it's a very widely used term which doesn't mean a lot and nowhere do rebor actually say their models are accurate, using museum class is a term  open to interpretation but is not Rebor stating any of their models are accurate, as already said it's an over used term that really is for marketing rather than having a real meaning.
I'm not referring to their "museum class" claims. If you read the quote in my post, I was pointing out they they do claim a degree of accuracy. They claimed that their Yutyrannus was based on the "latest research". If that does not imply some measure of accuracy, what else does it mean??

And "museum class" can mean different things to each person. To an average joe, it does indicate that something belongs in a museum. And that is misleading in my opinion.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 16, 2015, 07:58:34 PM
QuoteIt's also been stated what exactly does museum class mean (another thread) but as I stated it's a very widely used term which doesn't mean a lot and nowhere do rebor actually say their models are accurate, using museum class is a term  open to interpretation but is not Rebor stating any of their models are accurate, as already said it's an over used term that really is for marketing rather than having a real meaning.
I'm not referring to their "museum class" claims. If you read the quote in my post, I was pointing out they they do claim a degree of accuracy. They claimed that their Yutyrannus was based on the "latest research". If that does not imply some measure of accuracy, what else does it mean??

And "museum class" can mean different things to each person. To an average joe, it does indicate that something belongs in a museum. And that is misleading in my opinion.
She just said exactly what I was going to....I agree
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

petebuster1

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 16, 2015, 07:06:55 PM

Statue-

a three-dimensional work of art, as arepresentational or abstract form, carved in stoneor wood, molded in a plastic material, cast inbronze, or the like.

Toy-
1.an object, often a small representation ofsomething familiar, as an animal or person, forchildren or others to play with; plaything.
3.something that serves for or as if for diversion,rather than for serious pratical use.
4.a small article of little value but prized as asouvenir or for some other special reason;trinket; knickknack; bauble.
7.a close-fitting cap of linen or wool, with flapscoming down to the shoulders, formerly worn bywomen in Scotland.

Based on definitions it states several times in different was a toy should have little or small value....given Rebors prices I think given the definitions that their products are not qualified as toys based on the practical definitions

:-\ who really cares ::) display them or play with  them, what ever turns you on. If you need definitions help you think good luck, i tend to go for common sense

Arul

I really want to answer that dictionary method in the first but you know that my english isnt very well and google translate didnt very helping, but i get the meaning. I think rebor trex which have the highest price from other rebor figure is actually not so expensive if we compare it with other toy from another "genre" like transformable transformers figures leader class (optimus prime).

@petebuster1 you are just like me when the first time im join the forum, first i dont really care about scientific accuracy, someone who doesn't agree with what i like, etcetera. But here we are dino lover, we love the same thing. So im trying to be more taking the positive, give a respect to each other,  for a better "brotherhood"

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 16, 2015, 08:38:07 PM

And I also agree. I was the other poster who brought this subject up. But, I'm starting to understand now that we can keep making our point till we're blue in the face. But petebuster1 will only see what he wants to see, much like the toys/statues he defends. So I guess it always boils down to... to each their own, and the other famous line.... art is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

Federreptil

I'm a little bored about the discussion is'it a 'toy' or not and what means 'museum class' ... because I think: it's all just pure marketing.
First: you like it or not. Second: you buy it or not. And if you want to collect them all, the company is happy.

But ... because of a fresh arrival after a long waiting: This is the real better impression of a Dromaeosaur, because it looks like a birdish animal and not like a cinematic old-fashioned beast:

Thanks to Rebecca L. Groom, the courageous creator of 'Palaeoplushies' for this Velociraptor and Dan's Dinosaurs who offered this worldwide.

Bucklander

I agree with Federeptil. The truth is, Rebor want to cover all their bases. They simply want to sell as many units as possible. Last thing they want is to be cornered into a position where they have to pick one and only one target market. Is it a toy or is it a statue? Depends on who they're selling it to. If it's a kid, it's a toy, if a serious collector, a statue. It's only natural for people to want to classify and to pin things down, but as we all know, reality resists our attempts at simplification.

amanda

Sure, sure. Except for when that company sends you a pm stating quite clearly that they are not toys, are NOT to be compared to Papo, and that their manufacturing makes their prices realistic. When the company engages me directly, and questions my position that I openly posted, then I feel I can take any liberties to question theirs.

That said, those who like them, buy thewm. Good on you. In the end, REBOR is only using this forum to sell their wares. And not in the classifieds section, or the kits section. They are using the general forum to basically advertise their stuff. They never answer direct questions about choices made or accuracy issues. They only want our money and really do not care about any other factors. Unless of course you compare them to another, cheaper, just as detailed yet inaccurate competitor......

Bucklander

Also, if I may add, different people come to this forum for different reasons. I have been blown away by the serious and dedicated study many of the members have obviously given the subjects of paleontology and the history of figures. I've only been a member for a short while but I've learned so much in that short time, often, ironically through discussions about a figures inaccuracies. Such discussions often highlight aspects of anatomy or the contentious nature of certain ideas that I otherwise might have missed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this particular figure. But I am hoping that Rebor will grow into a great company. Or I did, I am beginning to fear they may be already on a downward spiral, which is sad, given their promise.

One thing that does concern me... their figures seem to be selling well. Is it not possible that other companies (Papo say) begin to ask themselves whether they should charge more? We should beware lest the "snob factor" drive prices up at a time when technological advances should see them falling.

tyrantqueen

I honestly don't see their sculpts as anything above Papo's level. They seem to have tapped into a market which Papo has overlooked. They market themselves to collectors with their fancy packaging. That's not necessarily a bad thing. High end collectibles are very enjoyable to buy (I would know, I collect Masterpiece Transformers :P)

Bucklander

I agree with those who question Rebor's methods from an ethical perspective, and I (and I hope nobody else!) am trying to silence those criticisms. But I think it's a waste of energy. They have shown themselves to be arrogant, ignorant and aggressive. Their figures (whether you want to call them statues or toys - I really don't think it matters) are (accuracy aside) exquisitely beautiful. Their PR methodology is decidedly ugly. I simply can't see either of those changing. If anyone wants to suggest they should not be allowed to post here, that's a separate issue but if you start saying that, the same has to apply to Battat and various other companies and individuals who have their own threads outside the classifieds section.

petebuster1

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 16, 2015, 11:35:06 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 16, 2015, 08:38:07 PM

And I also agree. I was the other poster who brought this subject up. But, I'm starting to understand now that we can keep making our point till we're blue in the face. But petebuster1 will only see what he wants to see, much like the toys/statues he defends. So I guess it always boils down to... to each their own, and the other famous line.... art is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)
[/quote
I see what others are saying I just don't happen to agree but at the end of the day we all see things differently, there is no right or wrong, I'm actually very open minded but I fail to see how anyone can really class rebor as toys, would you really want to risk damaging something of such good quality? They aren't marketing them at children either so toys? Really?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 16, 2015, 10:42:56 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 16, 2015, 07:06:55 PM

Statue-

Toy-

:-\ who really cares ::) display them or play with  them, what ever turns you on. If you need definitions help you think good luck, i tend to go for common sense

Please stop with the insults.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: