News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucklander

Ok, one last comment then I shall pontificate on this subject no more. ;) If pressed I would have to agree that I do not see Rebor's figures as toys. But then the question arises, should they be here on a TOY forum? But, if not, then neither should SideShow or the high end resin models, surely. So should the forum be renamed "Dinosaur Figure Forum" to encompass both toys and statues? But if so, and we were strict about that, there should be no threads for books or DVDs. So, what to do?

It seems to me if we think more closely about the word toy, a solution appears. A toy is a triviality. Now, I propose that everything on this site is a triviality when you really break it down. What are the important things in life? Food, shelter, health, education, family and friends (in short, society), the environment in which we live (the Earth) and a sense of morality (and by this I include, for those of us inclined, religion). All else is, by comparison, trivial. All art, high or low, all learning not directly applicable to the betterment of ourselves and others, a luxury. A beautiful, possibly even (depending on how it is pursued) uplifting or ennobling luxury, but a luxury, and therefore a triviality, nonetheless. So Rebor figures are toys. But so are SideShow figures and all other nonessential creations of humanity. And, wonderfully, (I would argue) all toys are art! So the whole thing reduces to a question of semantics.

Fluffysaurus

Accurate or not, i like this one. I respect all opinions about the Rebors.
But if you dont like them. Dont buy them. Its as simple as that. I hope they Will make a pterosaurus in the near future too. Maybe i Will buy more then one Utahraptor. To recreate my old safari ltd Deinonychus pack. Would be awesome.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

petebuster1

You can think of them as you wish personally I class them as high quality models or statues ,whatever you want to call them they are great addition for any collection and I am one of many who will be buying them,as the post above if you dont like them don't buy them.No point discussing what you call them as  it really doesn't matter, they are what they are.
For those that think they are like papo I can see where they're coming from but they really need to buy both and have close comparison.They will then see the quality differences

DinoToyForum

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 17, 2015, 01:23:14 PM
No point discussing what you call them as  it really doesn't matter, they are what they are.

Of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it matters if the context of this discussion, i.e. whether or not they should feature in 'best toy' polls.

petebuster1

This wasn't about a poll it was meant to aboutabout the latest Rebor addition, but someone started to worry about weather it should be classed as a toy or not ::)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 17, 2015, 01:41:57 PM
This wasn't about a poll it was meant to aboutabout the latest Rebor addition, but someone started to worry about weather it should be classed as a toy or not ::)

My point is that is a legitimate topic for discussion. If you continue to be confrontational you will be banned.  C:-)

amanda

Peterbuster does have 1 valid point. From images, the Papo comparison seems reasonable but we all know that having the figure in hand changes our views a lot. So, I'd have to hold one, feel it's heft, quality of plastic etc. to really say they are just inflated Papos. That is a valid point. And true, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Seems simple. I think a lot of folks are just disappointed that we have a new manufacturer, which does higher end figures, that are incredibly sculpted and detailed, and yet we still do not get scientifically accurate representations. It is a huge feeling of missed opportunity. Of course REBOR is what it is, but we have been yearning for the best of both worlds for so long now.

And personally, I clasify any figure with articulated points as a toy. my opinion.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI think a lot of folks are just disappointed that we have a new manufacturer, which does higher end figures, that are incredibly sculpted and detailed, and yet we still do not get scientifically accurate representations. It is a huge feeling of missed opportunity. Of course REBOR is what it is, but we have been yearning for the best of both worlds for so long now.
We have Sideshow for that >:D

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2015, 07:34:14 PM
QuoteI think a lot of folks are just disappointed that we have a new manufacturer, which does higher end figures, that are incredibly sculpted and detailed, and yet we still do not get scientifically accurate representations. It is a huge feeling of missed opportunity. Of course REBOR is what it is, but we have been yearning for the best of both worlds for so long now.

Well how about we tack on a lower price range to the list provided above.

postsaurischian

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 17, 2015, 01:23:14 PM
For those that think they are like papo I can see where they're coming from but they really need to buy both and have close comparison.They will then see the quality differences

This is true! You can't really evaluate the differences before you have the figures in your hands (maybe with some experience).

Quote from: amanda on January 17, 2015, 06:46:57 PM
And personally, I clasify any figure with articulated points as a toy. my opinion.

I agree, articulated points = action figure = toy!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 17, 2015, 07:34:14 PM

... and some others as well ;). These are still great times for Dinosaur figure lovers ... the best ever :D!!!

> by the way: Dan lists the Utahraptor for USD $39.99 - http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/utahraptor-wind-hunter-by-rebor/.

petebuster1

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 17, 2015, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 17, 2015, 01:41:57 PM

My point is that is a legitimate topic for discussion. If you continue to be confrontational you will be banned.  C:-)
:-X

stargatedalek

I think that there are varying degrees of "non-toy-ness". For example I'd say that Kaiyodo CapsuleQ are definitely not toys, but they are a lot closer to being toys than Sideshow are. I'd put REBOR in a similar boat, alongside familiars like the Sega vinyl tyrannosaurus, or aforementioned Kaiyodo CapsuleQ. Actually I'd say REBOR are a lot closer to toys than my other examples are. Ultimately the difference between toy and statue boils down to marketing intent, and REBOR themselves seem to have indicated they are on the fence about this.

amanda

But, for the purposes of the poll, admin and mods ought to make an executive decision on what exactly these are. It makes a big difference for the poll. For personal uses, whatever a person feels. But for an official "Best Of", then they are either toys or they are not.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amanda on January 17, 2015, 11:30:09 PM
But, for the purposes of the poll, admin and mods ought to make an executive decision on what exactly these are. It makes a big difference for the poll. For personal uses, whatever a person feels. But for an official "Best Of", then they are either toys or they are not.
Unless the admins moved these threads , it bears noting that Rebor themselves placed each of the threads for their new offerings in the "Dinosaur TOYS" category........right?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

petebuster1

I'm sure Rebor don't mind where you classify them and nor do i, I doubt they're concerned who buys them or what for providing they're selling, leaving them open to be toys is good marketing. Personally i classify a toy as something i'd give a child to play with, it would be a waste of money and a waste of a high quality model to give a rebor to a child just to destroy, i believe an individual decides whats a toy, not a dictionary definition in my confrontational opinion :-\. To me thats just common sense, on that point i shall say no more on the subject
Like some others if the choice was there I'd rather them have gone for accurate models, who knows they might with future releases

Dobber

Alright......I have a question and I don't intend this as a bash on REBOR or anything, but is it possible for the lower jaw to be positioned the way it is on this peice? It looks like it is hanging off the bottom of the skull with little to no neck behind it. Is that anatomically possible? Maybe it is just an illusion from the angles the pictures were taken at.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tyrantqueen

Quotebut is it possible for the lower jaw to be positioned the way it is on this peice? It looks like it is hanging off the bottom of the skull with little to no neck behind it. Is that anatomically possible?

Yes, the Yutyrannus has the same problem. The jaw should blend smoothly into the neck but it doesn't. Most likely it's due to the fact that they have not gotten the hang of the whole moveable jaw thing. Let's hope they learn to do so in future.

Dobber

Thanks Tyrantqueen, though are you saying, "Yes" it is anatomically possible or "Yes" it is kind of hanging of the head as I thought? :-[

It just looks odd to me and want to know if a skull and Jaw could do that.....particularly on such aarge animal.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Dobber on January 24, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Thanks Tyrantqueen, though are you saying, "Yes" it is anatomically possible or "Yes" it is kind of hanging of the head as I thought? :-[

It just looks odd to me and want to know if a skull and Jaw could do that.....particularly on such aarge animal.

Chris
I cannot speak for TQ and her intent, but you are correct in stating the jaw and how it merges with the rest of the figure is not done correctly.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: