News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on January 24, 2015, 09:11:54 PM
Maybe it looks better when it's in the roaring position?
lol go back to the first page of the thread and have a look, now I cant unsee that ....but no roaring isnt helping it
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoLord

Ah, I had not seen the updated pictures. I wonder if the T. rex has this issue too? Hopefully the Ceratosaurus won't...

Dobber

I have the T-rex and ir doesn't do this, it's fine. Thanks for clearing this up for me everyone.

@amargasaurus, sorry I know how it is....once you notice it it kind of stands out doesn't it.  :P

I too hope the Ceratosaurus won't be like this, I feel confident it won't.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

Dobber

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 24, 2015, 11:29:23 PM
the yutyrannus also has the jaw issue

Yes, I suppose it does...you and TyrantQueen are correct. Though, it seems far more pronounced on the Utahraptor than it is on the Yutyrannus. It doesn't really stand out....TO ME.....on the Yutyrannus as it does on the Utahraptor.

Chris

stargatedalek

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dobber on January 24, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Thanks Tyrantqueen, though are you saying, "Yes" it is anatomically possible or "Yes" it is kind of hanging of the head as I thought? :-[

It just looks odd to me and want to know if a skull and Jaw could do that.....particularly on such aarge animal.

Chris
I mean "yes" as in I agree with what you're saying, and that I don't think it would be anatomically possible.

QuoteMaybe it looks better when it's in the roaring position?
Perhaps it will, but it looks so distracting to me that I would never display it with a closed mouth (hypothetically speaking- I have no plans to purchase this toy). The movable jaw feature is pretty pointless if it only looks good with its jaw open.

Dobber

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2015, 07:46:12 AM
Quote from: Dobber on January 24, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Thanks Tyrantqueen, though are you saying, "Yes" it is anatomically possible or "Yes" it is kind of hanging of the head as I thought? :-[

It just looks odd to me and want to know if a skull and Jaw could do that.....particularly on such aarge animal.

Chris
I mean "yes" as in I agree with what you're saying, and that I don't think it would be anatomically possible.

QuoteMaybe it looks better when it's in the roaring position?
Perhaps it will, but it looks so distracting to me that I would never display it with a closed mouth (hypothetically speaking- I have no plans to purchase this toy). The movable jaw feature is pretty pointless if it only looks good with its jaw open.

Agreed

suspsy

Wow, that lower jaw really does look awful. It's as though the skull is slowly peeling away from the neck like a poster attached to a wall with silly putty.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

A lot of these REBORS tend to look pretty impressive in person as opposed to still images:

Y-rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgCrIYjblRs

T-rex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkx_VULTiLI

I didn't even realize that the Y-rex had feathers (I thought it was completely naked) until I watched the videos. Also, you could see parts of the gum base on which the teeth are situated. The eyes appear to be painted gold, similar to some of the premier WS models. The overall level of detail is also somewhat higher than their Papo counterpart. Still images don't seem to pick up all these subtle details, though.

suspsy

Yeah, the Yutyrannus is extremely disappointing due to its near lack of feathers. Especially considering the fossil evidence.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on January 25, 2015, 02:29:33 PM
Yeah, the Yutyrannus is extremely disappointing due to its near lack of feathers. Especially considering the fossil evidence.

I originally thought that the REBOR was missing feathers altogether, but it seems that it does have a slight blanket of feathers enveloping the back and tail. Too bad the feathers are cropped a bit trim.

petebuster1

Back to the feathers again ::) We all know as its been repeated enough times there's not enough feathers for some people and its not going to grow any more, i would suggest living with it or buy the wild safari version which is full of feathers if you prefer something that doesn't look as realistic and more like a chicken with teeth ;D
Imo its the lifelike appearance of Rebor that sets them apart, compared to my other models they are more realistic, maybe not accurate but its all about whether you like a model or not and that's up to the individual, i certainly wouldn't buy a model just because its accurate, most people judge a model on the colour scheme, realism and pose. Accuracy with dinosaur models is an added bonus if you can find one

Tallin

But if tyrannosaurs DID look like chickens with teeth? You'd still run away I bet! Whatever better reflects the fossil evidence is the more accurate figure in my opinion...

Besides, imagine all those feather caked and stained with gore, dripping blood and goo everywhere...I think that's more gruesome and scary!

CityRaptor

Well, there is fossil evidence for Yutyrannus being a "chicken with teeth". And if I pay that much money for dinosaur figure, I want it to be accurate. So yes, I would rather buy Safari's Yutyrannus than the plucked chicken made by REBOR..not only more accurate, but also a lot cheaper.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 25, 2015, 03:55:10 PM
Back to the feathers again ::) We all know as its been repeated enough times there's not enough feathers for some people and its not going to grow any more, i would suggest living with it or buy the wild safari version which is full of feathers if you prefer something that doesn't look as realistic and more like a chicken with teeth ;D
Imo its the lifelike appearance of Rebor that sets them apart, compared to my other models they are more realistic, maybe not accurate but its all about whether you like a model or not and that's up to the individual, i certainly wouldn't buy a model just because its accurate, most people judge a model on the colour scheme, realism and pose. Accuracy with dinosaur models is an added bonus if you can find one
I would.

How is it lifelike or realistic? It doesn't look like the real animal. This is a model of a version of a creature that never existed. Just like the JP Tyrannosaurus.

And also...Wild Safari never made a Utahraptor...unless you're referring to this

suspsy

Sorry Petebuster1, but the REBOR Yutyrannus is considerably less realistic than the Wild Safari one due to its bare minimum of feathers, and there is fossil evidence to prove it:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutyrannus

QuoteThe feathers covered various parts of the body. With the holotype they were present on the pelvis and the foot. Specimen ZCDM V5000 had feathers on the tail pointing backwards under an angle of 30° with the tail axis. The smallest specimen showed 20 centimetre (7.9 inch)-long filaments on the neck and 16 centimetre (6.3 inch)-long feathers at the upper arm. Based on this distribution, they may have covered the whole body and served in regulating temperature, given the rather cold climate of the Yixian with an average annual temperature of 10°C (50°F). Alternatively, if they were restricted to the regions in which they were found, they may have served as display structures. In addition, the two adult specimens had distinctive, "wavy" crests on their snouts, on both sides of a high central crest, which were probably used for display.

This isn't to say that the REBOR Yutyrannus isn't well-sculpted. It definitely is. But it's not as realistic as Wild Safari's.

petebuster1

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2015, 04:11:53 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 25, 2015, 03:55:10 PM
I would.

How is it lifelike or realistic? It doesn't look like the real animal. This is a model of a version of a creature that never existed. Just like the JP Tyrannosaurus.

And also...Wild Safari never made a Utahraptor...unless you're referring to this

maybe you don't understand what i mean by lifelike your refering to accuracy again, i'm not

petebuster1

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 25, 2015, 04:10:09 PM
Well, there is fossil evidence for Yutyrannus being a "chicken with teeth". And if I pay that much money for dinosaur figure, I want it to be accurate. So yes, I would rather buy Safari's Yutyrannus than the plucked chicken made by REBOR..not only more accurate, but also a lot cheaper.

Thats your choice,accuracy isn't important to me though i'd prefer it, how it looks is more important for me. Now one question do they know how many feathers and where they were on the body?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: