You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Albertosaurus on January 31, 2015, 02:06:53 PM
Hey Rebor! First of all, great job with those models, seriously,the quality is just amazing considering the price. Accurate or not, I dont see a reason to not praise your efforts if you compare your sculptures with others like Collecta, for example (it is weird how some people here praise Collecta theropods and then bitches against Rebor...).

Perhaps because CollectA isn't at all afraid to make feathered dinosaurs regardless of what the "general public" might or might not think? Because if they made a Yutyrannus, it wouldn't be the equivalent of a plucked Archaeopteryx or a hairless Smilodon?

I hope REBOR is sincere about improving the accuracy of their models. I still think they're being overcautious. For myself, their T. Rex is far too JP-ish, regardless of how impressively sculpted and detailed it is. Their Utahraptor has its flaws as well, but I will give them credit for not plucking it. Their Yutyrannus, however, is a failure in my book. I can't look past the deliberate omission of feathers, feathers proven by hard fossil evidence no less. Thank goodness for the Wild Safari Yutyrannus.

I will say this, however. If REBOR were to revisit their Yutyrannus a year or two down the line and give it proper plumage, I'd buy that in an instant. That's a promise.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Albertosaurus

What I was trying to say is that they probably are not accurate, but their sculptures are just amazing for the price and even more if you compare them with others (still far from Sideshow though). You have to consider that they are trying to appeal a wider audience,not only dinosaur enthusiasts. I hope that if they make some other dinosaur that appears in JP, they stay away from the movie style. Also talking about accuracy of figures (like Collecta) that have oversized feet to stand up, forced tripod poses, rounded teeth and claws, extra big scales and so on and so on.... ???

Tallin

Ah, but when Collectasaurs are £4 each and are not afraid to take risks (with most having reasonable feet actually) I don't think you can really compare the two companies. (not because I think one is drastically better than other, simply because they are very different in market and values)

I am very excited for the ceratosaurus and can't wait to see it, and may save up for it if I like it! I think being the first company to produce the new-look deinocheirus would be amazing!

And there are scores of people who support fully feathered dromies, they're just not as vocal as the awsesomebro crowd... ;)

suspsy

Oversized feet are unfortunately often necessary in order to avoid putting a bipedal dinosaur figure in the loathed tripod stance (which has long been Carnegie's style). And slightly rounded teeth and claws are usually necessary in order to meet existing toy regulations. As well, CollectA, Safari, and other toy companies have always aimed at the general public, yet they are not hesitating about covering certain of their dinosaurs with plumage.

CityRaptor

Here in Germany, I can get 8 Collectasaurs for the price of one Rebor Tyrannosaurus.

And the issue you mentioned are because they also follow safety regulations, as well as for stability issues. Therepods are not exactly the best suited when it comes to free standing models.  It's not just models: A lot skeletons in museums have a wider stance than they woould have had in life due to stabitily issues. Hence models either have larger feet, a tripod pose or a base. speaking of bases, I think all the REBOR Theropod Figures so far have it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Albertosaurus

I understand all the reasons involved....but with or without reasons, a figure with oversized feet is not accurate. There is a reason for it, but the real creature didn´t have feet that size,so it is not accurate. Same thing goes for the rest of the issues. Once again, I understand the reasons, but that automatically make those figures inaccurate.
That been said, I just posted in other topic praising the work of Doug Watson on the Safari Pachyrhinosaurus and Diabloceratops. I think that both figures are as accurate as they can be and awesome sculptures in my opinion. I am really impressed with those.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2015, 02:46:13 PM
Hey Rebor! First of all, great job with those models, seriously,the quality is just amazing considering the price. Accurate or not, I dont see a reason to not praise your efforts if you compare your sculptures with others like Collecta, for example (it is weird how some people here praise Collecta theropods and then bitches against Rebor...).

Perhaps because CollectA isn't at all afraid to make feathered dinosaurs regardless of what the "general public" might or might not think? Because if they made a Yutyrannus, it wouldn't be the equivalent of a plucked Archaeopteryx or a hairless Smilodon?

I hope REBOR is sincere about improving the accuracy of their models. I still think they're being overcautious. For myself, their T. Rex is far too JP-ish, regardless of how impressively sculpted and detailed it is. Their Utahraptor has its flaws as well, but I will give them credit for not plucking it. Their Yutyrannus, however, is a failure in my book. I can't look past the deliberate omission of feathers, feathers proven by hard fossil evidence no less. Thank goodness for the Wild Safari Yutyrannus.

I will say this, however. If REBOR were to revisit their Yutyrannus a year or two down the line and give it proper plumage, I'd buy that in an instant. That's a promise.

That, is part of our plan from the very beginning, how did you know ;) Although there is no evidence that suggests complete or partial moulting would take place among the Coelurosauria, however there is no evidence against this hypothesis either from phylogenetic point of view. A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

REBOR_STUDIO

Well, if you know CollectA, you should know that they don't really care about their retailers, as we know there are thousands of starving collectA stores out there which are struggling to sell those randomly decided products that people won't buy, yet they are still expanding their production lines blindly and expecting their retailers to pay the bills, so yes, in some ways they are "not afraid", resulting very unhealthy industry chains. Also we all know the difference between the official photos of CollectA's products and the actual things, completely two different stories. Sorry CollectA, but it's the truth.

Megalosaurus

@REBOR: Thank you. I'm so happy you are in this bussiness. I'm much more happy that you are listening to us. I have bought your Y-Rex, King, and have a Jolly reserved. And I like your summer yutyrannus a lot. I know you have many dinosaurs in your plans, but please extend your plans to non dinosaurs. My first suggestions are a ophiacodon, a estemmenosuchus and a Desmatosuchus.
And if you like, you can create a suggestions thread, or make some polls.
Thank you again for listening.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

sauroid

i also hope that Rebor would expand their line to prehistoric mammals, reptiles, birds
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Dobber

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:14:04 PM

That, is part of our plan from the very beginning, how did you know ;) Although there is no evidence that suggests complete or partial moulting would take place among the Coelurosauria, however there is no evidence against this hypothesis either from phylogenetic point of view. A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

REBOR, any chance of revisiting any of your other subjects also....like the Tyrannosaurus. I have your Current one and really like it it...though I would also prefer a less JP inspired sculpt.  Or possibly doing a feathered version similar to the Dinosaur Island Rex?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

CityRaptor

A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

Winter is coming!

Still, I don't think that a moulting Yutyrannus would look like that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

Winter is coming!

Indeed, it wouldn't. The plumage would simply be thinnner. It would not drop off altogether. After all, arctic foxes do not have large bald patches when they molt in the summer.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 31, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 05:00:56 PM

Winter is coming!

Indeed, it wouldn't. The plumage would simply be thinnner. It would not drop off altogether. After all, arctic foxes do not have large bald patches when they molt in the summer.

"Indeed" is the term to use when you are 100% positive about something, but how can you be so sure? Well it seems you have seen a real Yutyrannus, or even keeping one as a pet so that you can record your observations?So take a photo or publish some papers, either way prove your "indeed" to us with some direct evidence, please. You do understand what does "direct evidence" mean, right? ;)

Paleogene Pals

I agree. It is like winter fur on a dog or wolf. They are shaggier in the winter and lose much of it in the summer. Yet, they lack bald spots, unless they have mange.

Paleogene Pals

Uh, that sword is double-edged. You prove that you are right, then.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 31, 2015, 05:36:12 PM
Uh, that sword is double-edged. You prove that you are right, then.

We can't, and we never state this theory is 100% true, we know we could be wrong and we are not the ones with zero tolerance, that's why it's called hypothesis :) we just haven't get used to see someone who pretend to be God and decide what's right and wrong for others, seriously

Paleogene Pals

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Science.  :)  Kudos to the proper usage of the term 'hypothesis'. It irritates me when people use 'theory' and 'hypothesis' interchangeably. They don't really mean the same.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on January 31, 2015, 06:08:24 PM
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Science.  :)  Kudos to the proper usage of the term 'hypothesis'. It irritates me when people use 'theory' and 'hypothesis' interchangeably. They don't really mean the same.

We use term "theory" and it suppose to be ironic, we know the difference and we are not so new to Wonderful world of Science at all :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: