You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:14:04 PMThat, is part of our plan from the very beginning, how did you know ;) Although there is no evidence that suggests complete or partial moulting would take place among the Coelurosauria, however there is no evidence against this hypothesis either from phylogenetic point of view. A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

If Yutyrannus and other feathered dinosaurs did undergo moulting, it would result a thinning of their plumage, but not actual feather loss like on the current model. No extant bird or mammal undergoes such a radical change and no dinosaur would either. But that is good news about creating a proper version.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:30:56 PM
Well, if you know CollectA, you should know that they don't really care about their retailers, as we know there are thousands of starving collectA stores out there which are struggling to sell those randomly decided products that people won't buy, yet they are still expanding their production lines blindly and expecting their retailers to pay the bills, so yes, in some ways they are "not afraid", resulting very unhealthy industry chains.

Irrelevant, even if what you say is true. Distribution problems are not the issue here.

QuoteAlso we all know the difference between the official photos of CollectA's products and the actual things, completely two different stories. Sorry CollectA, but it's the truth.

Aside from the occasional slight paint difference, no, I don't know that to be true at all.

I have to say, I'm disappointed that you see it fit to denigrate other companies in defence of your own. It strikes me as unnecessary and unprofessional.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2015, 07:26:24 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:30:56 PM
Well, if you know CollectA, you should know that they don't really care about their retailers, as we know there are thousands of starving collectA stores out there which are struggling to sell those randomly decided products that people won't buy, yet they are still expanding their production lines blindly and expecting their retailers to pay the bills, so yes, in some ways they are "not afraid", resulting very unhealthy industry chains.

Irrelevant, even if what you say is true. Distribution problems are not the issue here.

It does matter to manufactures like us and CollectA, we must keep retailers profitable therefore we have to plan each product carefully. We do hold great responsibilities to our distribution channels, otherwise if we can do anything we want to, of course we are capable of making 100% scientific accurate and flawless Utahraptor, and perhaps we could make such replicas as 100 worldwide limited edition in the future.

REBOR_STUDIO

QuoteAlso we all know the difference between the official photos of CollectA's products and the actual things, completely two different stories. Sorry CollectA, but it's the truth.

Aside from the occasional slight paint difference, no, I don't know that to be true at all.

I have to say, I'm disappointed that you see it fit to denigrate other companies in defence of your own. It strikes me as unnecessary and unprofessional.
[/quote]

We have a high standard, and as a manufacture, we see things a little bit different from collectors' point of view, in our eyes problems such as lack of quality control and didn't spend enough efforts on the colouration process are called being unprofessional for a manufacture. We actually want to be impressed and we believe they can do much better than that. Please don't take us in the wrong way, to be honest we are unhappy about our current products either, they are just not as good as we expected, that's why we are now working really hard and trying to improve ourselves. If collectA ever come to us, we will offer them our experiences and advises on the colouration techniques, because like we said, it will require the efforts of all manufactures and collectors to make the whole industry of dinosaur collectibles mean something again.

stargatedalek

CollectA are very high value for their price. Before you just dis a company for things like that price is something you need to take into account. And for those of us who put accuracy first CollectA have very high value for their cost.

pylraster

I actually agree with  you Rebor. A lot of companies don't seem have that "competitive" drive, resulting in really inferior products, like Schleich's dinos. I'm glad your company is striving to meet high standards.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 31, 2015, 08:43:56 PM
CollectA are very high value for their price. Before you just dis a company for things like that price is something you need to take into account. And for those of us who put accuracy first CollectA have very high value for their cost.

I believe REBOR made a valid (constructive) criticism regarding CollectA.  I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that CollectA could certainly benefit from a more elegant application of colors. CollectA offers excellent value for the price, but there is absolutely no way I am going to have a dozen or two figures commission/custom painted.

Also, while I admire CollectA's efforts to integrate the latest (occassionally, borderline speculative) scientific research into their products, I think they should aim to address issues concerning basic anatomy...I think there are problems regarding skull reconstructions on the theropods and ceratopsians.

CityRaptor

Quote from: pylraster on January 31, 2015, 09:16:52 PM
I actually agree with  you Rebor. A lot of companies don't seem have that "competitive" drive, resulting in really inferior products, like Schleich's dinos. I'm glad your company is striving to meet high standards.

Oh, with Schleich it is different. They are so agressive that they fear no rival and they have a name that stands for quality in the eyes of the customers. So they can actually afford it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Yutyrannus

By the way, Rebor, just a bit of advice concerning your new Utahraptor, you probably shouldn't make species when there is a new paper that is about to be published that reveals new information about that species. Some of this new information is already released and it shows that Utahraptor really looks completely different:
http://ewilloughby.deviantart.com/art/The-More-Accurate-Utahraptor-442020192

Also, where possible, you should refer to the excellent skeletals by artists such as Scott Hartman in order to make accurate models. After all, accuracy is one of the most important (if not the most important) aspects of models like yours.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 31, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
A winter version of Yutyrannus will happen, but we will also keep the summer version available :)

Winter is coming!

Still, I don't think that a moulting Yutyrannus would look like that.
Indeed, it wouldn't. The plumage would simply be thinnner. It would not drop off altogether. After all, arctic foxes do not have large bald patches when they molt in the summer.

"Indeed" is the term to use when you are 100% positive about something, but how can you be so sure? Well it seems you have seen a real Yutyrannus, or even keeping one as a pet so that you can record your observations?So take a photo or publish some papers, either way prove your "indeed" to us with some direct evidence, please. You do understand what does "direct evidence" mean, right? ;)
No, my "indeed" was confirmation of my agreement with Cityraptor. Nothing more and nothing less.

The fact is that no animal on the planet moults the way your figure has portrayed. Neither bird nor mammal. And the excuse that no-one has ever seen a real life Yutyrannus is a cop out. Using that excuse, you could make the most ridiculous claims.

postsaurischian

Can't wait for the Ceratosaurus pics :D!

Gwangi

I really don't care if the Rebor Yutyrannus is supposed to be molting or not, I'm just happy knowing that they plan to make a fully feathered "winter" version and will hold out for that one. I'm also happy to finally see Rebor becoming a part of the community here and addressing concerns. That's what I really wanted from them, not just a company marketing their product.

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 08:39:20 PMWe have a high standard, and as a manufacture, we see things a little bit different from collectors' point of view, in our eyes problems such as lack of quality control and didn't spend enough efforts on the colouration process are called being unprofessional for a manufacture. We actually want to be impressed and we believe they can do much better than that. Please don't take us in the wrong way, to be honest we are unhappy about our current products either, they are just not as good as we expected, that's why we are now working really hard and trying to improve ourselves. If collectA ever come to us, we will offer them our experiences and advises on the colouration techniques, because like we said, it will require the efforts of all manufactures and collectors to make the whole industry of dinosaur collectibles mean something again.

With all due respect, I seriously doubt CollectA would come to you for advice on colouration or anything else, not if you continue to go around publicly denigrating them on message boards the way you have here. Again, their issues are wholly irrelevant to those of your own products. As I and others have noted in previous posts, the sculpting and detail of your T. Rex, Yutyrannus, and Utahraptor are indeed impressive, but accuracy is wanting in all three. Are you consulting any paleontologists or paleoartists?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 31, 2015, 10:29:23 PM
I really don't care if the Rebor Yutyrannus is supposed to be molting or not, I'm just happy knowing that they plan to make a fully feathered "winter" version and will hold out for that one. I'm also happy to finally see Rebor becoming a part of the community here and addressing concerns. That's what I really wanted from them, not just a company marketing their product.
My thoughts exactly :).

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2015, 10:47:49 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on January 31, 2015, 08:39:20 PMWe have a high standard, and as a manufacture, we see things a little bit different from collectors' point of view, in our eyes problems such as lack of quality control and didn't spend enough efforts on the colouration process are called being unprofessional for a manufacture. We actually want to be impressed and we believe they can do much better than that. Please don't take us in the wrong way, to be honest we are unhappy about our current products either, they are just not as good as we expected, that's why we are now working really hard and trying to improve ourselves. If collectA ever come to us, we will offer them our experiences and advises on the colouration techniques, because like we said, it will require the efforts of all manufactures and collectors to make the whole industry of dinosaur collectibles mean something again.

With all due respect, I seriously doubt CollectA would come to you for advice on colouration or anything else, not if you continue to go around publicly denigrating them on message boards the way you have here. Again, their issues are wholly irrelevant to those of your own products. As I and others have noted in previous posts, the sculpting and detail of your T. Rex, Yutyrannus, and Utahraptor are indeed impressive, but accuracy is wanting in all three. Are you consulting any paleontologists or paleoartists?

We have explained the accuracy issue for so many times: We know exactly how Yutyrannus should look like and how Utahraptor should be feathered, however as a new company we also need to consider the public acceptance of these dinosaur replicas, therefore please consider the inaccuracy was the result of artistic embellishments. In other words, we can, we know how to, we just don't want to, for now. End of the question.

suspsy

You've made that statement several times now, but I would be curious and appreciative to see you elaborate on it further. Are you really that convinced that the general public would abstain from purchasing feathered dinosaur product?

CityRaptor

As I mentioned before, someone spending that much on a Dinosaur replica is someone who cares for accuracy.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Yutyrannus

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 31, 2015, 11:28:40 PM
As I mentioned before, someone spending that much on a Dinosaur replica is someone who cares for accuracy.
Thank you for saying that. Few people who just want a figure of a "Dinosaur" from Jurassic Park are going to spend between $40 and $80 on it. Anyone who is willing to spend that much on it is someone who truly in interested in high quality models of real dinosaurs which means that Rebor is actually limiting the number of people who will buy their figures by continuing to make inaccurate models. For example, I wouldn't buy their Utahraptor or Yutyrannus mainly because if I'm going to pay that much on a figure then I want it to be one that is a completely accurate and detailed rendition of the species, if it they were actually accurate I just might spend that much money on them. Until then, I'll stick to Safari, CollectA and Battat.

Anyway, Rebor I am still looking forward to your new Ceratosaurus, and by the sound of it that model actually will be accurate so I might actually get it :).

Gwangi

I tend to agree with this. I don't know too many people willing to shell out the money for these things that aren't concerned with accuracy. I would buy the Yutyrannus or Utahraptor if they were accurate...but they're not, so I won't. That's that much more money Rebor won't get. But maybe they'll get more money from those who want monster-saurs than they would from the likes of me or you? I don't know, I'm not a marketing major. I guess they'll find out in time when they see how much they ultimately make. All I know is that I just bought a $10 fully feathered Yutyrannus TOY for a fraction of the price of the plucked Yutyrannus statue presented by Rebor.

REBOR_STUDIO

That's not correct, most customers who purchased our products simply because they look good, people who care for accuracy are actually the minority. To some forum members our Utahraptor looks awful, however it's popular among fans and collectors. How do you call it, yes the "awesomebro" group, they are the majority, without them this industry won't even exist and we can all start to collect research papers in Palaeontology.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: