You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kes

Hi everyone, quick first post. Just received 'Wind Runner' and quite happy with it. I had a small issue though. The post for the supporting leg is slightly too loose in the foot. This makes the front heavy figure lean quite a bit forward as seen in the video. My solution was to fit an old 3mm drill bit shank into the foot (fits nice and snug) and then cut what sticks out to length to go into the base. I had to open the hole in the base to accomodate the 3mm drill bit and BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO TOO DEEP or the hole will ruin their nice new base design.
Hope this helps.
Anyway,  great site, lots of info and some interesting debates.
Regards,
Kes.
:)

tyrantqueen

kes

Well, the ankle area is quite thin and has to support a lot of weight. I suspect over time it may sag (hopefully not). I may apply a bit of heat and ease the leg back and then cool rapidly. Done this with plenty of other plastic toys, collectables etc and usually works. Its just the dynamic pose produces certain limitations. I probably would had the left leg straighter at the ankle and then the post could go straight up through this area and support the ankle from the inside.

tanystropheus

According to REBOR's Facebook page:

REBOR: such problem can be solved easily: the metal rod should be insert into the foot FIRST, push the other side of the rod against the ground until it cannot go any deeper, this should fill up the space inside the ankle and provide enough support to prevent plastic deformation; then insert the rest section into the base, this should solve the leaning problem

utd7

Hey guys I am very happy I just received my Utahraptor today just in time for my birthday. I have to say I am thrilled and very impressed with the level of detail it's got very PAPO-esque but it has something more and that's saying something from a big PAPO fan. I also like the packing and presentation which is nice to see on a high end model, mine hasn't got the lean problem and stays very stable actually my only problem is the mouth is very hard to open and I worry I could damage it.

Overall very well done by REBOR looking forward to future releases and hope they make a Cryolophosaurus and a Giganotosaurus as these two are seriously overlooked in my opinion.
We live in a Jurassic World

Blade-of-the-Moon

This was brought up in another thread, maybe try a hairdryer to warm up the mouth then try moving to "break it free".

Shadowknight1

Quote from: utd7 on February 21, 2015, 07:48:04 PM
Hey guys I am very happy I just received my Utahraptor today just in time for my birthday. I have to say I am thrilled and very impressed with the level of detail it's got very PAPO-esque but it has something more and that's saying something from a big PAPO fan. I also like the packing and presentation which is nice to see on a high end model, mine hasn't got the lean problem and stays very stable actually my only problem is the mouth is very hard to open and I worry I could damage it.

Overall very well done by REBOR looking forward to future releases and hope they make a Cryolophosaurus and a Giganotosaurus as these two are seriously overlooked in my opinion.
Give it time on the leaning problem and let us know.  It might seem fine for now, but it might sag later.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Wingrave27

I had this guy delivered yesterday,it is an awesome looking model but I can't help feel a little disappointed to be honest.I fitted mine as Rebor suggested and the peg does indeed slide quite far into the leg but I have been watching mine carefully over the last 24 hours and unfortunately it has started leaning regardless.The ankle is just too weak to support it and should have been made from stronger plastic.Also the jaw was seized on mine and I tried a hairdryer as well as hot water and when I was able to eventually open it a little the paint had come away on the fleshy parts at the jaw joins so I can't display him with jaws fully open only partially.
I've had little niggles with them all so far,my Yutyrannus feet are splayed in a way so that he won't stand on his stand properly and my T. rex's teeth weren't even painted!

Shonisaurus

To me it does not make me any grace is that the utahraptor must be mounted. For that I bought a figure of Sideshow or DinoStoreus to give two examples, the first I get more expensive and breakable, but at least it's a figure of quality and not tilted due to assembly.
Admittedly, the leaning utahraptor not worth buying. If you want to collectible figurines and quality, it is logical to do so in a more noble material such as resin.

tanystropheus

Considering the pose, it might have been better if the Utahraptor was permanently wedded to the base.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 21, 2015, 11:34:12 PM
If you want to collectible figurines and quality, it is logical to do so in a more noble material such as resin.

The regality and lineage of the source materials take precedence, first and foremost.

Wingrave27

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 21, 2015, 11:38:40 PM
Considering the pose, it might have been better if the Utahraptor was permanently wedded to the base.

This would only help if it were made of stronger material,the ankle is too soft and the weight of the model WILL eventually pull him down,I've just ordered some clear acrylic rod to hold mine in position.He may not be leaning to much at the moment but he inevitably will at some point!

Hathaway

Unfortunately mine is also leaning (mine is the one pictured on their facebook). Tried their suggestion but was only a temporary fix in the end and he's now leaning to the point of having his right hand on the floor. Shame really, it was an ambitious pose but obviously it needs a rethink if attempted again in the future. Will be interested to see if this is an issue for everyone and whether Rebor will respond on the issue.

Invicta Hunter

They should have put in a metal rod (separate to the one in the base) running the full length of the leg inside the plastic, this would have stopped any bending.
I really don't know why they didn't consider this when they were designing the figure.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to foresee that the figure was going to have issues in the future.
And just imagine if you live in a really hot country, the thing will be on it's belly within half an hour of being unboxed.
I like REBOR but it's just problems like this and some others i've found with their figures that make me think...
Are they really worth the money.  :-X

postsaurischian

I haven't seen one in reality yet, but I agree with the latest critics - the standing issue shouldn't happen. This would definitely degrade the figure  :(.

tyrantqueen

Maybe they will address this issue with a "V2" release of this model. They're still finding their feet as a company so it's not such a big deal in the long run.

Shadowknight1

We'll just have to wait and see, honestly.  It may be an issue with all of them, it may be an issue with some.  Honestly, a pose like that without making it odd(re:Wild Safari Velociraptor) is going to be difficult to engineer.  Make the ankle too soft, it droops.  Make it too hard and there's the possibility of it snapping.

Personally, I still can't wait for mine, though this issue makes me very happy that, from the skeletal tease, Acrocanthosaurus will be standing with both feet firmly on the ground.

@tyrantqueen Precisely!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

kes

Hi again. Sad to report that mine has also continued with the leaning issue. The problem is not the ankle or the post (I replaced mine anyway as it was way too undersized). It is the area of the leg just above the ankle. This part is really thin and cannot take the weight of the figure. I have tried heating and freezing the area to lock it into shape but it always starts to sag. The only solution I can see to this is that I am going to have to drill up through the back of the leg and into the thigh area and insert a metal rod to give it the strength and rigidity that it needs. A dab of filler and paint after will disguise the surgery and hopefully that will be that.

Dobber

Well, this is too bad for this figure. As TyrantQueen said they are still learning and many....if not most companies have some issues that need to be addressed early on....including leaning/drooping. Though, those other figures aren't $30 before shipping. That is where I am more disappointed....for the cost I would have expected better.  :-[. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Still very much looking forward to the Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus.  :)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

ChrisLikesDinosaurs

This is a fantastic piece! I'm working on a video review now, but I really like it. I'm using some new gear, so hopefully it works out. Anyways, here is a screengrab:

I really am loving what REBOR is doing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: