You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petebuster1

Quote from: Patrx on January 13, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
Quote from: Tallin on January 13, 2015, 04:10:34 PM
But shouldn't a company - any company - that calls its products museum quality strive for accuracy?

You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you?  :-\

That's the problem with the phrase "museum-quality". It sets high expectations, but doesn't really mean very much in the end. I've seen some awful reconstructions at museums. Based on their first few products, I don't think REBOR is out to educate anyone  :(
Not sure what museum quality really means although they say museum class, would it look out of place in a museum? No but does it really mean anything? At the same time i dont see that they've used the word accurate anywhere ? They do say to create realistic and natural looking animals which they are doing very well indeed but nowhere on their facebook page can i see where they claim to be accurate so i'm not sure where people are getting this from? Maybe when their website comes along they may explain their aim.

DinoLord

petebuster1

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 13, 2015, 04:42:46 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: sauroid on January 13, 2015, 01:02:30 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 13, 2015, 12:50:39 PM
see the feather brigade are at it already ^-^, it looks fully feathered to me though i suppose its the wrong kind of feathers now ::) Think its a stunning model and it looks far better than a chicken with teeth ;D
http://www.theguardian.com/science/lost-worlds/2013/jun/10/dinosaurs-fossils an interesting peice
what are you whining about? we just complimented your favorite company, didnt we? save the wise-*ss retort when the real feather brigade starts swarming on this thread.
Oh stay in your pram  ::)i was referring to feather brigade reply 2  ^-^ if you bothered to read it

C:-) Warning to both of you. @Petebuster1, this is your last warning. "feather brigade" is intentionally provocative, "stay in your pram" is downright rude. Thank you for understanding that this is a polite forum where we respect each others opinions, even if we disagree with them.
wont happen again :-X

DinoToyForum

I split the off topic discussion about museum quality into a new thread :)

DinoToyForum

Horridus

Not sold on this one. It essentially has the look of a '90s dromaeosaur restoration with feathers glued on - it doesn't look especially natural (without mentioning the missing primaries, something the new Carnegie Velociraptor is also guilty of). The head in particular is pretty horrible - it looks like a JP 'raptor'. Whatever the case, they'd have been better off plumping for a better-known dromaeosaur - Utahraptor's image is going to shift quite dramatically in the near future.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Well here goes. I think it's awful, sorry. I guess it's good that it's at least not naked and its wrists are orientated correctly. So good work there. It really bothers me how the integument "stops" around the belly and underside of the tail, and then turns to scales.

The issue is discussed pretty well here: http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/youre-doing-it-wrong-cgi-feathered.html

I'm not keen on dromaeosaurids with "protofuzz". I would have preferred feathers. But it's still early days, right? Maybe we'll see something better in time.

Tallin

Whilst I won't comment on the accuracy, I do like how the pose is dynamic and fluid, that seems to be missing from many models. I do have an issue with the mouth though. It seems they've left a huge space in the lower jaw for the upper teeth to fit in. Now, I'm not expert on raptors, but when they shut their mouths, is it likely there could have been this amount of space with a 'lip' on the outer edge? Most therapod reconstructions I've seen feather the upper teeth overlapping the side of the jaw and visible when the mouth is closed. It makes it look as if it has large lip like structures on this model. This is probably just to accommodate the articulated jaw though...

tyrantqueen

QuoteNot sure what museum quality really means although they say museum class, would it look out of place in a museum?
I would say yes, it would, but that's a matter of opinion.

QuoteAt the same time i dont see that they've used the word accurate anywhere ? They do say to create realistic and natural looking animals which they are doing very well indeed but nowhere on their facebook page can i see where they claim to be accurate so i'm not sure where people are getting this from?

They stated with their Yutyrannus:

QuoteThe model is a 1:35 scale replica of Yutyrannus based on the result of the latest research

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tallin on January 13, 2015, 06:37:04 PM
Whilst I won't comment on the accuracy, I do like how the pose is dynamic and fluid, that seems to be missing from many models. I do have an issue with the mouth though. It seems they've left a huge space in the lower jaw for the upper teeth to fit in. Now, I'm not expert on raptors, but when they shut their mouths, is it likely there could have been this amount of space with a 'lip' on the outer edge? Most therapod reconstructions I've seen feather the upper teeth overlapping the side of the jaw and visible when the mouth is closed. It makes it look as if it has large lip like structures on this model. This is probably just to accommodate the articulated jaw though...

It probably helps the jaw feature but look at the JP Raptors :

They have very similar lips..it might help the animatronic to close it's mouth too though.  I don't think any existing dromeosaurs now have a skull like this so it's hard to say.

Quote from: darth daniel on January 13, 2015, 04:54:22 PM
The sculpt is nice, but the third thropod in a row? :-\

The photo indicates that the area around the eye is very dark, just as on the Tyrannosaurus. I wonder if it´s really necessary to make an animal look especially "evil" just because it´s a carnivore?

I've actually done this myself in a few pieces, it makes the eye stand out more.  I also read that darker areas around the eyes help with glare from the sun..so could benefit a predator.

SpittersForEver

I wonder how much it will cost, It looks decent and I can't wait for the colours.

Federreptil

Thank you PeteBuster1 for your link to The Guardian. (one of the first replies made on side 1)
With two more clicks I got there this article from John Conway:
http://www.theguardian.com/science/lost-worlds/2014/dec/04/scientists-disappointed-jurassic-world-dinosaurs-movie-film
and this is also a perfect statement for the Rebor-way of making dinosaurs:
Fantastic beasts in very well done shape – but no win for our understanding of the nature.

petebuster1

Thanks enjoyed reading that, i think one thing is now clear. Rebor have not made any statements to say they are making accurate models but they are making very appealing ones. I personally would like to see them make some accurate one's and maybe that's something we may or may not see, i do feel you could make them just as or even more appealing and accurate but i guess its marketing and maybe a bit more time consuming and making money out making dinosaur models i doubt is that easy for anyone.

Sim

I look forward to seeing colour pictures of the Rebor Utahraptor.  I don't like the featherless head on feathered body feathering style though, it's something I don't like in the Wild Safari Yutyrannus and 2015 Carnegie Velociraptor too.

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 13, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 13, 2015, 03:17:25 PM
The problem is that Hadrosaurs seem to be the worst sellers among Dinosaurs. They seem to lack appeal for the broad masses...

That bugs me. Horse figures are among the top sellers for extant animal toys, and Hadrosaurs are like really big scaly horses. If dinosaurs were alive today all little girls would have rooms full of fluffy duck-bill plush. This is why Theropods annoy me - it's like it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized teeth. Ornithopods are graceful animals and should be appreciated more.
I must be getting annoying - I've brought this up a number of times ::)
Theropods are an extremely diverse dinosaur suborder, even excluding birds.  There's a great variety within carnivorous, as well as omnivorous and herbivorous theropods.  I would be surprised if anyone thinks "it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized (or sharp) teeth", as ceratopsians and sauropods, and therizinosaurs too, are very popular.  I'm not sure hadrosaurs are the worst sellers among dinosaurs...  Some dinosaur families have no toys/figures/models as far as I'm aware, like alvarezsaurs and scansoriopterygids (both of which are theropod families).

Manatee

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 13, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
That bugs me. Horse figures are among the top sellers for extant animal toys, and Hadrosaurs are like really big scaly horses. If dinosaurs were alive today all little girls would have rooms full of fluffy duck-bill plush. This is why Theropods annoy me - it's like it's not a DINOSAUR unless it has steak knife sized teeth. Ornithopods are graceful animals and should be appreciated more.
I must be getting annoying - I've brought this up a number of times ::)
Not annoying at all. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Ornithopods are a vastly underappreciated dinosaur group, and hadrosaurs are, in my opinion, one of the most interesting dinosaur groups. Their diverse headgear is, to me at least, just as cool as a Tyrannosaurus's gigantic teeth.

TJ_Terrorsaur

(insert fangirlish screaming here) Wow! Oh-My-Gosh! Wow!
Rebor you know how to please a guy! These greyscale pics came out 1 day before my 1st Year Anniversary, and the colored ones will be out the day after? Wow can I just say this feels like a small anniversary gift? (LOL)
Anyhow he looks fantastic and I love love his name. The feathers are nice and I won't lie I do like how they show scales on the belly, I don't know why but I like that sort of style...even if it isn't 100% accurate.
When will this guy be ready to buy? I'm already circling Everything Dinosaur and Dan's Dinosaurs pages like a hawk ready to pounce and buy one. I already have a Jolly being held for me now I gotta ask for one of these. :D

Horridus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 13, 2015, 06:33:16 PM
It really bothers me how the integument "stops" around the belly and underside of the tail, and then turns to scales.
I'm not keen on dromaeosaurids with "protofuzz". I would have preferred feathers. But it's still early days, right? Maybe we'll see something better in time.

I'm with Tyrantqueen on this - there's every indication that these animals (i.e. dromaeosaurs) had birdlike feathery pelts, not skin-hugging feathers applied to '90s style, scaly, 'badass' dromaeosaurs. And the 'mouth inside a mouth' is silly. All the same, Rebor show a great deal of potential, especially with their Tyrannosaurus. I'm still looking forward to their future output (although scaly beasts like Carnotaurus might be more their forté).
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Takama

I will be honest.   I find this one to be Ugly, and i knew this was coming. one look at the Yutyrannus they made predicted it for me that it would not be fully feathered, but at least that one looked decent. this one however is Horrendous.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 13, 2015, 06:11:37 PM
I split the off topic discussion about museum quality into a new thread :)
Not being rude but the last time rebor introed a dinosaur it began a huge discussion about museum acuracy quality that was split off the as well....so if I am understanding it we now have two threads about this caused by the same company. I only remember because I was the one from the start questioning what museum accurate and so forth meant
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Nebuloid

I like it, but I'm a nut for feathers so... Only thing I dont like is the lower jaw, which seems too massive. Let's hope the paintjob is good !

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: