You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Museum Class Replica “Wind Hunter” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, January 13, 2015, 08:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Quote from: Patrx on January 14, 2015, 03:15:50 AM
At the risk of going off-topic again, I like the point you're making, triceratops83. "Boring" and smaller dinosaurs get overlooked a lot , like we've discussed in other threads. However, I'm not sure the best solution is to try and make them more exciting, at the risk of deviating toward sensationalism. What I'd really like to see is for people to appreciate dinosaurs (or any animals really) on a more nuanced basis than their strangeness and assumed ferocity. After all, I can go out to a kitschy shop at a mall and find lots of little resin sparrows or larks. They're sort of boring little birds on the face of it, but people like them for what they are. Why should other dinosaurs be different?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It would be annoying to cheapen them with tackiness. I just think people are being spoon fed Awesombro movie monsters when they are normally happy to buy extant animal figurines in naturalistic poses. Dinosaurs are still animals. I'll drop the issue now. O:-)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 14, 2015, 03:13:40 AM
Well on the plus side since the arms are poseable you can raise them up in the panic mode and have it running around going I am naked...I am naked !!! Always look for the ray of sunshine.....

Well, not completely naked. Although, somehow running around yelling, "I'm scantily clad... I'm scantily clad!" doesn't work to well. 8)  Hehe!

Arul

Built like other toy company model (pvc, articulated, small-medium size), but sculpted like a sideshow. Bravo rebor !!

Dobber

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 14, 2015, 03:20:20 AM
Quote from: Patrx on January 14, 2015, 03:15:50 AM
At the risk of going off-topic again, I like the point you're making, triceratops83. "Boring" and smaller dinosaurs get overlooked a lot , like we've discussed in other threads. However, I'm not sure the best solution is to try and make them more exciting, at the risk of deviating toward sensationalism. What I'd really like to see is for people to appreciate dinosaurs (or any animals really) on a more nuanced basis than their strangeness and assumed ferocity. After all, I can go out to a kitschy shop at a mall and find lots of little resin sparrows or larks. They're sort of boring little birds on the face of it, but people like them for what they are. Why should other dinosaurs be different?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It would be annoying to cheapen them with tackiness. I just think people are being spoon fed Awesombro movie monsters when they are normally happy to buy extant animal figurines in naturalistic poses. Dinosaurs are still animals. I'll drop the issue now. O:-)

Isn't that what is happening with Spinosaurus, too. After reading many posts, not just here mind you, it seems to me that a lot of people learned of it from JP3, saw it kill the Rex and jumped on the bandwagon as "It's a T-rex killer!"  Sort of like they were sick of T-rex so they wanted to take it down a notch or something.  Now with new info about the animal comming out and a completely different look for it as well, there seems like there is the same reaction to the feather issue or movie monster look , ect...Resistance. Resistance to what they are use too.  People WANT Spino to be the the T-Rex killer, that will stalk both land and rivers. It just seems like the Awesomebro thing to me as well. Great term BTW.  :)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Paleogene Pals

My old paleontology professor called these types of folks, "flat earthers." I like Awesomebro too because it reflects so much of our current "Bro" society (cough, cough Bro country cough.)

triceratops83

Quote from: Dobber on January 14, 2015, 11:17:15 AM

Isn't that what is happening with Spinosaurus, too. After reading many posts, not just here mind you, it seems to me that a lot of people learned of it from JP3, saw it kill the Rex and jumped on the bandwagon as "It's a T-rex killer!"  Sort of like they were sick of T-rex so they wanted to take it down a notch or something.  Now with new info about the animal comming out and a completely different look for it as well, there seems like there is the same reaction to the feather issue or movie monster look , ect...Resistance. Resistance to what they are use too.  People WANT Spino to be the the T-Rex killer, that will stalk both land and rivers. It just seems like the Awesomebro thing to me as well. Great term BTW.  :)

Chris

Yep, good point. People love what they see in movies and television. Same thing with Dromaeosaurs - since Jurassic Park they've been the poster child for Super Cool Dinosaurs. I never could figure out people's obsession with Spinosaurus as a Super Villain - it has a gavial snout. You'd think people would be astounded that Spinosaurs were paving the way for aquatic dinosaurs. As for "Awesomebro" I think it was coined by Darren Naish? Anyone? A few people here use that term and I hope it makes its' way into the zeitgeist.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2015, 11:03:42 PM
This thing is downright ugly and the worst model from REBOR thus far. The feet, hands, head and even the feathering are all off putting. This looks like something you would get from GeoWorld but with the quality of Papo. And at the price they're going to ask for it? Forget it, you really are paying for the detail work here, nothing else about this is worth what I know it will cost.
I also find the Rebor Utahraptor ugly, mostly due to its head and forelimbs.  Hopefully it will look better in colour.

Quote from: Gwangi on January 13, 2015, 11:03:42 PM
Forget that they're related to Tyrannosaurus, Allosaurus, Triceratops...they're closest relatives extinct or extant were birds. Dromaeosaurs are literally more closely related to birds than they are to ANY other dinosaur.

This, this is how you feather a Dromaeosaur.

The consensus is dromaeosaurids are as closely related to troodontids as they are to birds.  More recent studies have been finding troodontids and birds are most closely related to each other, and then to dromaeosaurids.  I've always liked that picture of Deinonychus.

Quote from: Patrx on January 13, 2015, 11:13:25 PM
It's frustrating how few people want to understand how birdlike dromaeosaurs were. Even more frustrating is that there are nearly zero figures or models that even begin to approach the kinds of reconstructions we should be seeing by this point; reconstructions like the one you've posted.
I agree, the lack of good and up to date dromaeosaurid figures is frustrating.  I think two things hindering more people liking feathered dromaeosaurids are inadequate feathered reconstructions, and featherless dromaeosaurids still being considered an acceptable alternative to feathered ones.

Patrx

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 14, 2015, 01:55:13 PM
As for "Awesomebro" I think it was coined by Darren Naish? Anyone? A few people here use that term and I hope it makes its way into the zeitgeist.

Actually, it's from John Conway. It's a very useful and descriptive term, isn't it?

amargasaurus cazaui

Something I wonder if anyone else has picked up on at all...Rebor is not asking you if you like their toys or what you think of them, they are advertising them for sale here. Nothing you are saying will affect the toy they release now because....they are already making it once you see it here. Further they have shown they are ignoring any input you might be giving regarding accuracy, feathering, or even how the dinosaur looks. In short, they post their ads and wander off till they wish to sell something else. As I do not collect theropods and am not a huge feathered fan , none of it so far matters much to me. The one figure they have shown I might have purchased was made to look like a pram decoration, with its exaggerated features. So all the suggestions, advice and input you are offering is great but....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: Patrx on January 14, 2015, 03:22:40 PM
Actually, it's from John Conway. It's a very useful and descriptive term, isn't it?

Ah thanks. I couldn't remember where I read it.

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 14, 2015, 03:46:58 PM
Something I wonder if anyone else has picked up on at all...Rebor is not asking you if you like their toys or what you think of them, they are advertising them for sale here. Nothing you are saying will affect the toy they release now because....they are already making it once you see it here. Further they have shown they are ignoring any input you might be giving regarding accuracy, feathering, or even how the dinosaur looks. In short, they post their ads and wander off till they wish to sell something else.

That's a fair point, they're not at all communicative. Still, critique and assessment of new dinosaur products is a big part of what this forum does, whether the people that produce them listen or not. We've been privileged to be able to communicate with folks like Doug Watson and Dan LoRusso, sculptors for their respective companies, but I think a lot of us just want to discuss REBOR's strengths and weaknesses like we do with everyone else's.

When I first started collecting, I learned a lot about accuracy by reading reviews here and participating in discussions. Without that, my shelf would be full of bunny-handed tyrannosaurs and elephantine ceratopsians, and I'd go on thinking they were totally reasonable reconstructions. If somebody buys this new Utahraptor and doesn't mind its inaccuracy, that's great. But, if someone buys it thinking, "yeah, this is probably what this dinosaur could have looked like", then a good, critical discussion could be a useful resource for them.

Dobber

Quote from: Patrx on January 14, 2015, 04:50:33 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 14, 2015, 03:46:58 PM
Something I wonder if anyone else has picked up on at all...Rebor is not asking you if you like their toys or what you think of them, they are advertising them for sale here. Nothing you are saying will affect the toy they release now because....they are already making it once you see it here. Further they have shown they are ignoring any input you might be giving regarding accuracy, feathering, or even how the dinosaur looks. In short, they post their ads and wander off till they wish to sell something else.

That's a fair point, they're not at all communicative. Still, critique and assessment of new dinosaur products is a big part of what this forum does, whether the people that produce them listen or not. We've been privileged to be able to communicate with folks like Doug Watson and Dan LoRusso, sculptors for their respective companies, but I think a lot of us just want to discuss REBOR's strengths and weaknesses like we do with everyone else's.

When I first started collecting, I learned a lot about accuracy by reading reviews here and participating in discussions. Without that, my shelf would be full of bunny-handed tyrannosaurs and elephantine ceratopsians, and I'd go on thinking they were totally reasonable reconstructions. If somebody buys this new Utahraptor and doesn't mind its inaccuracy, that's great. But, if someone buys it thinking, "yeah, this is probably what this dinosaur could have looked like", then a good, critical discussion could be a useful resource for them.

Good post! I have some pieces that I know have some accuracy issues, but I still bought them because I love the quality and craftsmanship of the finished products presentation. Accuracy is important to me, though. I just won't get too hung up on it when there is still so much we don't know. Though I do understand the annoyance when said inaccuracies ARE known things.  8)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

petebuster1

Although i like what Rebor have produced they don't seem very responsive at all, they at the moment at least don't seem very interested in what anyone has to say either with direct contact or in any kind of response in here. whether that will change i'm not so sure. I do feel communication with buyers and potential buyers would benefit everyone but they don't seem to want to go down that route, so maybe they will produce what they produce and already decided everything. Seems strange for a new company and i hope will be proved wrong but...........

Arul

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 14, 2015, 07:36:16 PM
Although i like what Rebor have produced they don't seem very responsive at all, they at the moment at least don't seem very interested in what anyone has to say either with direct contact or in any kind of response in here. whether that will change i'm not so sure. I do feel communication with buyers and potential buyers would benefit everyone but they don't seem to want to go down that route, so maybe they will produce what they produce and already decided everything. Seems strange for a new company and i hope will be proved wrong but...........

If you means from a social media group , maybe you right. Based on my observe (from here, FB, website, especially with distributor in my country) , i think a group in social media isnt a really perfect place for a toy company (a big company) to helping them making a decission for their figures. a toy company doing a big scale of production, small power of argument will not touch them. A company will take the people opinion from real concrete evidence like marketing data. This is also become one of many reason why official distributor (not a personal buyer) from Asia region especially south-east asia always recieve the product very late. there is so many figure that come out in 2014 but the distributor from company official still cant stock it until now because of that reason, especially animal figures.

petebuster1

I'm not saying they have to make their decisions on what we say but we know very little about them, the one response I did get says they will have a website soon so hopefully that might reveal a bit more

Arul

Source : Everything Dinosaur FB, just wow. Perfect figure with awesome diorama base

nobunaga

criticism is ok but , every time is a shooting session on rebor ... I think there is always a tense atmosphere ... I guess you can already begin to fire on the upcoming Ceratosaurus

petebuster1

Lovely paint job and another carnivore on the way looks a good one, I did receive a reply, I get the impression they are not English or British for a british company? I think we will see a few models this, year, they certainly are bringing something different to the table and I welcome it.

Gwangi

The color choices are nice but still not enough to change my opinion of it. The head is just awful.

Arul

Articulated jaw and hands, very cool figure...and pic, they do move in herd

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: