News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinier zwanink

Maybe a silly question
But no sauropodes?
What do all the theropodes need to eat then?

Roselaar

Quote from: reinier zwanink on February 15, 2015, 07:41:18 PM
Maybe a silly question
But no sauropodes?

Each other, as Alan Grant sort of explained in JP III. Or they could eat the genetically enhanced hybrids folks created for them.

Tyrannosauron

I've been thinking about the new toys as I prepare a lecture for a screening of the original movie and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the absence of the sickle claws on the velociraptors isn't inaccurate. The scientists of "Jurassic World" clearly go in for genetic manipulation, so what if they bred modified sickle-claw-less velociraptors in an attempt to make them less vicious? That might also explain how Star Lord is able to train them without getting ripped to shreds.

This is probably the point at which someone posts a still from one of the trailers that clearly shows a velociraptor with a sickle claw. Kudos to you, hypothetical disputant; if you exist then you're right and I'm wrong.

(Apologies if anyone has already posted a similar idea. I looked through six pages of the thread before giving up.)

stargatedalek

The thought had also crossed my mind, but one of the four raptors does have the sickle claw.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tyrannosauron on February 15, 2015, 09:45:35 PM
I've been thinking about the new toys as I prepare a lecture for a screening of the original movie and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the absence of the sickle claws on the velociraptors isn't inaccurate. The scientists of "Jurassic World" clearly go in for genetic manipulation, so what if they bred modified sickle-claw-less velociraptors in an attempt to make them less vicious? That might also explain how Star Lord is able to train them without getting ripped to shreds.

This is probably the point at which someone posts a still from one of the trailers that clearly shows a velociraptor with a sickle claw. Kudos to you, hypothetical disputant; if you exist then you're right and I'm wrong.

(Apologies if anyone has already posted a similar idea. I looked through six pages of the thread before giving up.)
Not the best screenshot, but...

They do have their claws.  As for training wild animals without getting ripped to shreds, people DO do that.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

CityRaptor

Interestingly enough, something like that is mentioned here:
http://news.toyark.com/2015/02/14/jurassic-world-toys-hasbro-toy-fair-2015-151695

QuoteAccording to the JP fan sites reporting at ToyFair, only the blue raptor has sickle claws. The other 3 don't. Pratt's raptor's have been genetically toned down by Dr. Wu so they can be tamed and used in wrangling escaped dinosaurs (Indominous Rex). This is how it will be in the movie (the trailers may still show them all with sickle claws). The toys are not incorrect. Only the prototypes had sickle claws because during that time, Hasbro did not yet know the tamed raptors would lack them.

So even though fans may be bummed about the lack of sickle claws, there is a reason for it in the actual film. Pretty much any dino-to-real world scientific errors in the Jurassic Park films are chalked up to genetic tampering (no feathers, large raptors, tiny acid-spitting frilled dilophosaurses, pterranodons with teeth). Even this new film's big theme IS genetic tampering gone wild. The villain dino is the result of such meddling. That's what makes Jurassic Park so great as a fictional story. Anytime they get something scientifically wrong, they just blame the geneticists.

Not sure how legit it is.

Quote from: reinier zwanink on February 15, 2015, 07:41:18 PM
Maybe a silly question
But no sauropodes?

The JP Toyline has always been bad with Sauropods. When they release them, it is usually as small figures and hatchlings. There is also an Electronic Brachio released for JPIII and the Amargospinus for Chaos Effect. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Aside from that..dromeosaurs have teeth and more claws that would do the job on a human without the sickle.

Now if all of the claws were rubber coated and the teeth had been removed and rubber dentures added...maybe drug em' a bit..yeah maybe they'd be safer.. lol

stargatedalek

As someone who in the past has handled both alligators and (young) tigers, I can safely say that any animal under the right training or circumstances can be tame and safe for handling.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 15, 2015, 11:30:36 PM
As someone who in the past has handled both alligators and (young) tigers, I can safely say that any animal under the right training or circumstances can be tame and safe for handling.

Even for the general public to handle? I've dealt with wolves and reptiles myself, and it's not the animals I don't trust..it's people who have no idea what they are doing I'm afraid of.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2015, 11:43:38 PMEven for the general public to handle? I've dealt with wolves and reptiles myself, and it's not the animals I don't trust..it's people who have no idea what they are doing I'm afraid of.
I couldn't agree with you more! Of course the disposition of the individual animal also matters as to how it will respond in a situation its not accustomed to, say an alligator is clambered all over by young children, most of the ones I've been around closely would try and hide (yes that is as comical as it sounds), but a few would try and roll them off, whereas simply imagining what a wild alligator would do, well that's near impossible to predict.

Back on topic, I do hope that's the case, not because it makes any particular sense to bother "de-clawing" them, but just because that does help set the figures aside as "characters" more or less.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 15, 2015, 11:17:37 PM
They do have their claws.  As for training wild animals without getting ripped to shreds, people DO do that.
Well, yeah, obviously. But the velociraptors in the movies have always been presented less as animals and more as bloodthirsty monsters; even in the original novel, Crichton described them as killing for pleasure, which is generally not a trait ascribed to any extant animal.

As for the picture: yep, there it is. Good catch.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 15, 2015, 11:22:28 PM
Interestingly enough, something like that is mentioned here:
http://news.toyark.com/2015/02/14/jurassic-world-toys-hasbro-toy-fair-2015-151695

QuoteAccording to the JP fan sites reporting at ToyFair, only the blue raptor has sickle claws. The other 3 don't. Pratt's raptor's have been genetically toned down by Dr. Wu so they can be tamed and used in wrangling escaped dinosaurs (Indominous Rex). This is how it will be in the movie (the trailers may still show them all with sickle claws). The toys are not incorrect. Only the prototypes had sickle claws because during that time, Hasbro did not yet know the tamed raptors would lack them.

So even though fans may be bummed about the lack of sickle claws, there is a reason for it in the actual film. Pretty much any dino-to-real world scientific errors in the Jurassic Park films are chalked up to genetic tampering (no feathers, large raptors, tiny acid-spitting frilled dilophosaurses, pterranodons with teeth). Even this new film's big theme IS genetic tampering gone wild. The villain dino is the result of such meddling. That's what makes Jurassic Park so great as a fictional story. Anytime they get something scientifically wrong, they just blame the geneticists.

Not sure how legit it is.
Cool! Great find, and very much in line with the message of the book: the animals in the park were never real dinosaurs in the first place, but instead theme park attractions that resemble what people expect from dinosaurs.

Maybe we'll also find out that Hasbro's toys are accurate insofar as the dinosaurs in the movie are suffering from a disease that dislocates their joints. The real twist in the movie is that Jurassic World is a horribly depressing experience for everyone involved.

Lusotitan

Part me finds the Stegoceratops (with Nasutoceratops head for.... reasons) oddly attracting in some deluded way. The others.... are stick with the old Jurassic Park toys thanks.

tyrantqueen

reinier zwanink

Meso-Cenozoic

That parody is hysterical! Every time I watch it, I see something new. LOL! And yes, it's very well done!

tyrantqueen

I know right? My favourite part has the be Goldblum headed gallimimus.

Lusotitan

The messed up music at the end might be my favorite.

Arul

Meso-Cenozoic

I don't know. Did you notice during that scene where he's standing upside down in the window telling her it's a bad idea to make a hybrid, in the background is the lawyer from the first movie, sitting on the toilet. Hahaha!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: