News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tamiya Velociraptor diorama W.I.P.

Started by earth108, January 28, 2015, 04:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earth108

Hi guys,

I started a project on diorama with a Velociraptor kit from Tamiya. Thinking it'd be okay to share with you guys step by step :D.

Okay, Tamiya released this kit as a series of diorama many many years ago. My first kit back then was a T-rex ;D. Anyway, At 10 years old my painting and modelling skill were...yeah a 10 years old kid :P.
Couple of years ago, I got some more kits of this series in my stock but didn"t put my hand on them yet since I was focussing on miniature painting. Until I started to visit this forum and the dinofever came back to me again. I opened the box of the raptors and realized that the details of this vintage kit is awesome! Even it is an old plastic injection kit, Tamiya did a great job on this series.

Since this kit has no diorama base with it. I presume that Tamiya wants this kit to be an additional for others in the series. The box contains six raptors with variations of bodies, hands and legs. I decided to build a small diorama for them so I picked up just 2 raptors for my diorama.

I wanted to build them in a relax action. The always ferocious action of carnivore dinosuar is great but I need something more natural that carnivores were not roaring and running all the time. They might have a break, wandering around, etc.
    The theme was one raptor just walked up from the pond/swamp/lake bank and the another noticed something across the water then the first raptor turned his head to see at the same direction.The base was made of a plaster over a bunch of styrene to make a high ground. The tree was a plant's root from my garden. Sand and pebbles were scattered on the ground surface.

earth108

Next are painting the raptors. After builded and prepared them I painted them with a coat of acrylic.

Then I started to layer the color with tan yellow and orange brown.

A dark brown was add to the pattern then I spotted the spot with dark brown and black grey  The spots were randomly painted with a patience :P.
A dark brown and black wash were diluted with water then brushed over to blend the color on whole model.

Tallin

It looks wonderful, and your photographs really bring out the intricacy of your paintwork too!
I can't wait to see the finished diorama!

earth108

Nest step, I focused on the head part which took me a lot of time. I didn't think about the pattern of color on the head before I started to paint and when I was painting I was afraid that it would turn out bad. It okay for me when it finished. Fweewh... at least I got a master model for another raptor ;D.

The glossy surface came from a layer of washes. I'd apply the matt varnish all over the model later when both models are finished.

I'll update more pics when the project has a progress. Any comments welcome. Thank you guys!! ^-^

earth108

Quote from: Tallin on January 28, 2015, 05:16:19 PM
It looks wonderful, and your photographs really bring out the intricacy of your paintwork too!
I can't wait to see the finished diorama!

Thank you Tallin. I hope to finish it soon but there's a lot more to do in this diorama :)).

reinier zwanink

WOW nice one
What paint did u use? Tamiya
And did you do this with airbrush or pencil

Megalosaurus

This is an amazing post. Keep sharing this kind of work with the world.

I love the way you are painting and showing the detail in the tamiya models.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

amargasaurus cazaui

I in general do not care for theropods and especially raptors, but I really like the base you have made and the color patterning and paintwork you have done with these, they are really nice. The speckled effect seems to add a lot to the figures
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Arul

Paleogene Pals

Fantastic paintjob! I think you really brought out the best in those Tamiya kits.

Tyto_Theropod

Wow! This is a great build you're doing, and I envy your paint skills! The base also looks great, and you've given the figures real character. I really like how this is shaping up. Must say, despite generally being a stickler for accuracy, as someone who was growing up when feathers on dinosaurs were still a very new idea I still have a soft spot for the scaly retro raptors of my childhood :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

earth108

Thank you very much guys! I'm working on another raptor and the base. The pics would come in few days :).

Quote from: reinier zwanink on January 28, 2015, 05:45:58 PM
WOW nice one
What paint did u use? Tamiya
And did you do this with airbrush or pencil
I used fine paintbrush with artist acrylic paints, vallejo colours and washes.

Alexxitator

Wow, you clearly have either talent or experience (or both) doing this! It looks stunning!
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

bL00df0x

Very well done! Keep up the good work.  :)

earth108

Thank you very much guys. Here come more updates.

The first raptor was finished and waiting for a coat of varnish :).

The second raptor are at 90% only his nails and some minor details.

I used darker tones on this guy and added him more spots than the first one to make him "different" from his friend (or "mate"?) ::)

earth108

Also with the base!!! :))

I applied with several acrylic colours; different shades of brown, green , grey, orchre and washes.

The base isn't finished yet. I plan to add some scatters and also the water.
Feel free to comments guys ;).

A ground shot.

bL00df0x

Amazing! I really like the base a lot. Well done!

Arul

Very inspiring, nice i will keep the update on your diorama progress  :))

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Tyto_Theropod

Well done on this! The base looks appropriately desert-like, and I like how you've made the figures look like individuals and not clones.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: