News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 20, 2015, 09:40:00 PM
REBOR's most recent FB post suggests a grander vision and plan. They want to slowly but methodically introduce the world to the the notion of feathered dinosaurs, namely, that feathered dinosaur models can maintain accuracy while concurrently being 'awesomebro'. If REBOR succeeds, they might be one of the first mainstream companies to have done so.

That might very well be true, but it isn't suggested by anything on their FB page. I gather that you mean this comment, posted in response to a fan who said Rebor's Utahraptor turned him on to the idea of feathered dinosaurs:

So it seems that we've done something good after all, taking baby steps and making more people accept feathered dinosaurs slowly

There isn't anything in there about a plan--nothing about future releases or new context for past releases--just their accepting the credit that was offered them for changing someone's mind, which is certainly justifiable. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be quite a leap to infer otherwise, especially since doing so would contradict more straightforward comments that the Rebor rep has made.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 21, 2015, 01:45:14 AM
REBOR's most recent FB post suggests a grander vision and plan. They want to slowly but methodically introduce the world to the the notion of feathered dinosaurs, namely, that feathered dinosaur models can maintain accuracy while concurrently being 'awesomebro'. If REBOR succeeds, they might be one of the first mainstream companies to have done so.

That might very well be true, but it isn't suggested by anything on their FB page. I gather that you mean this comment, posted in response to a fan who said Rebor's Utahraptor turned him on to the idea of feathered dinosaurs:

So it seems that we've done something good after all, taking baby steps and making more people accept feathered dinosaurs slowly

There isn't anything in there about a plan--nothing about future releases or new context for past releases--just their accepting the credit that was offered them for changing someone's mind, which is certainly justifiable. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it would be quite a leap to infer otherwise, especially since doing so would contradict more straightforward comments that the Rebor rep has made.

Yeah, that's the comment. The inference was made based on the poster's original comment and REBOR's response to that comment. It seems that REBOR was in overall agreement with the poster (as there was no rebuttals given in their response). Also, earlier, REBOR stated that they would move forward with scientifically oriented models since they have already built a prestige (industry reputation or installed base). Taking these comments together, I think REBOR will be moving in a more scientifically oriented direction (with occasional releases for pop cultural inspired products). I guess we have to wait for the updated Y-rex.

tyrantqueen

They should have taken a leaf out of Mojo's book. In my opinion this is a good way for a company representative to act:

QuoteHi Everyone.
Quick introduction, I am James and basically I take care of all product design at Mojo.
Just a couple of things that I want to say before we start, firstly I will not comment on any other companies replica's, I feel its just unprofessional and besides that's your job guys, not mine  :))
Secondly I am not here to shamelessly promote Mojo, so I have no interest in trying to gain any kudos or advantage, I just want to listen and I just want learn.
Finally you can say anything you like about Mojo products, that's fine with me, its open season on our replica's so don't mince your words just be honest
I am happy to discuss in detail anything concerning Mojo but outside of our replica's that's not possible, so i hope you understand and respect that.

Mojo are actually quite similar to Rebor in that they're fairly small and collector orientated.

But as they say, if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. It was a good thing that Rebor left. They can focus all their energy on making models instead of getting into spats with people.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 21, 2015, 03:19:23 AM
They should have taken a leaf out of Mojo's book. In my opinion this is a good way for a company representative to act:

QuoteHi Everyone.
Quick introduction, I am James and basically I take care of all product design at Mojo.
Just a couple of things that I want to say before we start, firstly I will not comment on any other companies replica's, I feel its just unprofessional and besides that's your job guys, not mine  :))
Secondly I am not here to shamelessly promote Mojo, so I have no interest in trying to gain any kudos or advantage, I just want to listen and I just want learn.
Finally you can say anything you like about Mojo products, that's fine with me, its open season on our replica's so don't mince your words just be honest
I am happy to discuss in detail anything concerning Mojo but outside of our replica's that's not possible, so i hope you understand and respect that.

Mojo are actually quite similar to Rebor in that they're fairly small and collector orientated.

But as they say, if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen. It was a good thing that Rebor left. They can focus all their energy on making models instead of getting into spats with people.

But if they keep insulting the Forum and Blog, should i Report it?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 21, 2015, 03:47:19 AM

QuoteHi Everyone.

But if they keep insulting the Forum and Blog, should i Report it?

It won't have any (meaningful) impact if they've already left, right?

tanystropheus

QuoteHi Everyone.

Mojo actually left the forums. I'm not sure if it was because we constantly made fun of their dinosaur products (and, justifiably so) or if they came to the realization that their dinosaur line was subpar. Mojo did make high-quality prehistoric mammals (a legendary tetrad) but made false promises about delivering a Basilosaurus. However, they were quite professional in their interactions here.

tyrantqueen

QuoteMojo actually left the forums.
How do you know? I don't expect a company representative to join a forum and become an active poster from then on. They may just join and be active for a short time and then never post again. That's fine by me. That may be the case also for Anthony Beeson.

I don't recall them posting anything to the effect of "we're leaving FOREVAR u gaiz are so mean" so maybe they just lost interest due to other things.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 21, 2015, 03:58:33 AM
QuoteMojo actually left the forums.
How do you know? I don't expect a company representative to join a forum and become an active poster from then on. They may just join and be active for a short time and then never post again. That's fine by me. That may be the case also for Anthony Beeson.

I don't recall them posting anything to the effect of "we're leaving FOREVAR u gaiz are so mean" so maybe they just lost interest due to other things.

That's possible. I can't read their mind or anything. Maybe they are still lurking on the forums. I assumed that they weren't particularly thrilled with our frank criticisms.

Shonisaurus

I agree with that, the last dinosaurs of this year's Mojo certainly what I've bought four alienated people.

I buy my desire to collecting granted it are horrible especially the velociraptor with blue feathers, is cartoonish. They remind me of the dinosaurs that sold in piperías in the 70s and 80s of last century, in fact they are the same.

As well mammalian Mojo contrast in their success with doing horrible dinosaurs say. It is a contradiction.

CityRaptor

REBOR's most recent FB post suggests a grander vision and plan. They want to slowly but methodically introduce the world to the the notion of feathered dinosaurs, namely, that feathered dinosaur models can maintain accuracy while concurrently being 'awesomebro'. If REBOR succeeds, they might be one of the first mainstream companies to have done so. As of now, Papo only has the Archeopteryx. The WS Guanlong and Carnegie Velociraptor's feathers are a bit lacking. Favorite seems to lack faith altogether in their obscure models (including their incredibly well-made feathered dinosaur, the Pelecanimimus) as they relegate them to the status of limited, local release.

Expect other companies beat them to it, as far as feathers go. So REBOR should not take credit where there is no credit for them to be taken.  The feathered Carnegie Theropods might not be perfect, but they are way more accurate than REBOR's plucked Yutyrannus ( molting does not work like that! ) and their Wind Hunter, which are also way more expensive. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

I would favor a company or other realizase Rebor dinosaurs and prehistoric animals only from a particular geographical area, for example in North America (USA,
Canada and Mexico) until all the prehistoric animals of that continent were represented.

Then start another geographic area for example South America, Asia (China, Mongolia) and so on. Ie each year were dedicated exclusively to prehistoric animals in a given geographical area.

The following year could be made recreations of prehistoric creatures from another area. I understand it is a good idea.

Furthermore I noticed in the tyrannosaurus Rebor and I've noticed that you have a previous arms too long type or Jurassic World Jurassic Park. So I is not strange that have voted so poorly this dinosaur apart from its huge stubborn. At least Papo being also an excellent factory dinosaurs do not presumed dinosaur museum kind of precise, we know their philosophy and do not presume so.

Halichoeres

That is SUCH a good impression. They flounced out of here. I wasn't around for when Mojo was on the boards, but the quote you shared was, I agree, exemplary. They invited merciless criticism, and I'm sure they got it--it's true that people are sometimes tactless on this forum (though not more so than elsewhere). But that's sort of par for the course when you deliberately engage the choosiest subset of dinosaur fans. If Rebor finds it difficult to respond to harsh comments with grace, yeah, it's probably best they stick to what they were doing before, marketing-wise.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

...I guess everyone wants to dwell on the negatives of Rebor's representatives rather than focusing on the important things, the dinosaurs.  Absolutely no interest in a possible Saurophagonax, if that is what Rebor meant when saying Allosaurus fragilis was too small and they were going bigger?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

According commented on the facebook page Rebor will make an allosaurus will be the same size as the tyrannosaurus running Papo, as the company responded that one of the members of facebook Rebor.

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 12:38:45 PM
REBOR's most recent FB post suggests a grander vision and plan. They want to slowly but methodically introduce the world to the the notion of feathered dinosaurs, namely, that feathered dinosaur models can maintain accuracy while concurrently being 'awesomebro'. If REBOR succeeds, they might be one of the first mainstream companies to have done so. As of now, Papo only has the Archeopteryx. The WS Guanlong and Carnegie Velociraptor's feathers are a bit lacking. Favorite seems to lack faith altogether in their obscure models (including their incredibly well-made feathered dinosaur, the Pelecanimimus) as they relegate them to the status of limited, local release.

Expect other companies beat them to it, as far as feathers go. So REBOR should not take credit where there is no credit for them to be taken.  The feathered Carnegie Theropods might not be perfect, but they are way more accurate than REBOR's plucked Yutyrannus ( molting does not work like that! ) and their Wind Hunter, which are also way more expensive.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear. REBOR may become the first company to combine scientific accuracy and 'awesomebro' with respect to future feathered dinosaur products.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 21, 2015, 02:25:52 PM

That is SUCH a good impression. They flounced out of here. I wasn't around for when Mojo was on the boards, but the quote you shared was, I agree, exemplary. They invited merciless criticism, and I'm sure they got it--it's true that people are sometimes tactless on this forum (though not more so than elsewhere). But that's sort of par for the course when you deliberately engage the choosiest subset of dinosaur fans. If Rebor finds it difficult to respond to harsh comments with grace, yeah, it's probably best they stick to what they were doing before, marketing-wise.

Some members of the forum were also aggressively critical when it came to 'reviewing' the Nanshiungosaurus, even after the artist explained his stance in full. Interestingly enough, it is the only Battat that I (currently) own.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 21, 2015, 05:24:35 PM
According commented on the facebook page Rebor will make an allosaurus will be the same size as the tyrannosaurus running Papo, as the company responded that one of the members of facebook Rebor.

Seems too big. Perhaps, they are making Saurophagonax.

CityRaptor

Depends on how much they care for scale and if the consider it a species of old Al or not.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 08:44:17 PM
Perhaps, I wasn't clear. REBOR may become the first company to combine scientific accuracy and 'awesomebro' with respect to future feathered dinosaur products.

I notice that you use a lot "what if" scenarios when defending REBOR. All those are worth nothing unless they actually happen.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

indominus rex

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 21, 2015, 05:24:35 PM

Seems too big. Perhaps, they are making Saurophagonax.

It would probably have to be a Saurophagonax because they said on there Facebook page that a Allosaurus Fragilis would be too small and that they are making something bigger.

tanystropheus

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2015, 09:03:24 PM

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 21, 2015, 08:44:17 PM

I notice that you use a lot "what if" scenarios when defending REBOR. All those are worth nothing unless they actually happen.

I only designate "what if" scenarios to situations that are "very likely". REBOR has the talent and the resources to make it happen (with relative ease). Don't be particularly surprised when REBOR delivers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: