News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 20, 2015, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 20, 2015, 09:34:16 AM
It's something you have to learn to live with in the end. Freedom of speech and all that. Doesn't matter if it's you, me, or the odd guy down the street that yells at trees. If they work a computer with internet capabilities they can join a forum and have an opinion. Just the way it is you know?

::)  Tell me about it!

You should still consider if the nagging is counterproductive (which it is) and therefore bad for our forum.
Freedom of speech is very important (Edward Snowden says Hello!), taking care of others' feelings also is.

lol too true. 

I don't mind sitting on a the fence itself, I just wish it wasn't a picket one. ;)

tyrantqueen

Sorry for having an opinion and asking a question. But hey, I'd rather be "overeducated" than under educated.

Albertosaurus

Quote from: sauroid on February 20, 2015, 08:40:48 AM
i really hope that Rebor didnt decide to leave this forum for good...

I really hope they did. They were being attacked constantly by some members around here, and instead of ignoring those annoying "overeducated" attacks, they were fighting back and that wasn't helping their public image as a company. Maybe FB is a better platform for them to talk about their products than here.
Oh,and I wonder if some of you are expecting other companies to come here and share their plans with you after the Rebor case...I really doubt it.

Hathaway

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 20, 2015, 06:00:24 AM
I want to say that I am really becoming interested by this company! I really think Rebor is hitting its stride with the Ceratosaurus, and I can't wait for the chance to have it grace my desk. Awesome model and base. I like the Utahraptor as well. Inaccuracies aside, it works well as "Wind Hunter". I really like the presentation of each boxed and padded figure, too.

I also want to say that at times I am astonished by this place. Too many people seem to LIVE on this forum, and insist in getting into silly little debates that really, who cares about?? As others have said, you like Rebor, you buy 'em. You don't like 'em, don't buy 'em and leave it be! Anything else is borderline pompous. A talented and original new studio decides to share their wares with us, and everybody proceeds to dismember them in an effort to get their little typed-out thoughts seen.

I wholeheartedly agree with this as well. As a new member to these forums I must admit I've been more than a bit put off by some of the overt aggressiveness that's been demonstrated in these forums at times, particularly towards this company representative under the guise of "merely having an opinion". Coming from administrating a large star trek community with fans who are rather infamous for being vocal and passionate on their medium, it's important to maintain some perspective on what is and is not acceptable. Ultimately the forum owners are in charge and decide the kind of community they wish to foster. The free speech argument is one I've seen many a time in defence of certain rhetoric and while I have strong opinions on the subject, I digress...

So, on to the real topic at hand! I received both my utahraptor and hatchling triceratops this morning and boy am I impressed. The hatchling actually for me was the real surprise as originally I was going to stick to 1:35(ish) scale models but I'm glad I took the plunge. I hope rebor consider doing more of their work in polystone in the future. It's great to hold something with a bit of heft and the detail was far higher than I'd expected.
Had a couple of slight paint issues on the utahraptor but nothing major. Waiting to see if it has the standing issue that was reported, if that indeed has been fixed in the release version but otherwise it's an impressive model with an eye catching pose. I have no idea where I'm going to put all these things!
Greatly looking forward now to their Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. I hope they can maintain their aggressive pricing, sideshow while very impressive is just a little too rich for my blood.

Paleogene Pals

This is the price we pay for freedom of speech. Trust me, there are parts of this world where people would love to be overly critical about anything. I would rather have say their piece (within the obvious bounds of reason of course) than have to constantly watch what we say in fear of hurting a few feelings. As a budding paleo artist, I accept constructive criticism as part of the process of creation.

Dobber

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on February 20, 2015, 01:49:34 PM
This is the price we pay for freedom of speech. Trust me, there are parts of this world where people would love to be overly critical about anything. I would rather have say their piece (within the obvious bounds of reason of course) than have to constantly watch what we say in fear of hurting a few feelings. As a budding paleo artist, I accept constructive criticism as part of the process of creation.

I agree with what you are saying, but I feal there is a way things can be said, with some common courtecy. Too often I've heard people say, "not my fault you took it that way" or  "I don't have time to be nice" ....ect.

Also people usually can't just say their peace and move on. They instead have go on and on about it. This applies to both sides of the Rebor arguments that have happened here.

Lastly, people often feed into one another. One person will say their peace, but when another person agrees with it then they will start up again. Look what happened in the Battat thread. Not even a thread about Rebor and yet people who are supposedly tired of Rebor go on a several post long shchlock about Rebor. For people that are sick of Rebor they sure can't stop making fun of them.  :-\

I too hope that Rebor wasn't scared off of this forum. I myself, have criticized some of their choices but it's not the end of the world and think they are doing better with some of these later pieces. There is a difference between constructive criticism and just flat out bashing.

Chris

Edit: I refrenced the wrong thread originally
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

I agree with tyrantqueen I prefer super educational dinosaur replicas.

tanystropheus

Unfortunately, these forums are not particularly welcoming to newcomers. Representatives from CollectA and Mojo have left. We were also unreasonably hostile towards the Nanshiungosaurus. What we fail to realize is that these models and interpretations are always in a state of flux. A dogmatic perspective regarding how we would like to envision a dinosaur should not be superimposed (forcibly) onto the artists' underlying worldview (or marketing schema).

REBOR was being bombarded with criticisms. Some of the criticisms were constructive in nature, but the vast majority were not.  They were actually doing a bang up job for a company that was only beginning to release their 3rd product. Do you remember where Carnegie, Papo, or CollectA were when they released their third product?!?!...LOL...probably not.

It is always great to have the original designers on board. I love the fact that Dan and Doug are sharing their ideas and products with us here. And, I think they are integrating some of our suggestions in future models...either way, fans are happy...as long as if we are not being unreasonable about expectations. I personally believe that REBOR is taking a hiatus due to reasons outside of the forum (e.g. coordinating the shipments for the 'Wind Hunter') and they will return to showcase the Acro when they are ready.

Dobber

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 20, 2015, 03:28:18 PM
.......I prefer super educational dinosaur replicas.

As do I, but endless hounding a company that doesn't produce said products isn't helpful either. Nor is it fair giving other companies a pass.

Chris

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Tallin

I think one of the things that put people against Rebor a lot was their marketing techniques and their bold claims about their work, it seemed rather egotistical...

Then again, I love to see that their models have vastly improved and I am very interested in the ceratosaurus and will definitely buy one! I hope that they haven't left, It's wonderful to have industry input here and it should be appreciated that they're even taking the time to speak to us really...and they also did address the faults pointed out on their models and explained their reasons so after that I think bringing up the same old criticisms was beating a dead horse somewhat...

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 20, 2015, 10:40:26 AM
Sorry for having an opinion and asking a question. But hey, I'd rather be "overeducated" than under educated.
Quoted for truth, I couldn't agree enough.

I do admit I may have been overly harsh on REBOR, but the way they chose to market themselves and in particular their justifications for doing so offended me rather personally. I'd like to apologize to the other members and to the staff here for the part(s) I played in upsetting the peace numerous times over this issue, but my opinions on REBOR will likely remain the same.

tanystropheus

I don't believe that the perspectives expressed in the forum are particularly representative of the general population (with respect to REBOR models). There seems to be universal praise and near unanimous approval of the REBOR models on Youtube. At the very least, it seems that people that have had in-hand samples of the REBOR model are more likely to appreciate the overall quality (and/or subtleties involved in the design). The case is very similar to the Papo Apatosaurus. Multiple angles of the Apato appear to obscure (or potentially, divulge) relevant details. However, individuals that own the model are aware of the anatomical intricacies that may have been overlooked by initially glancing at a series of pictures. The Utahraptor looks fantastic. Based on video assessment (*video insert below), the model seems reasonably accurate as well. It is handsomely feathered and the eyes appear appropriately "predatorial". It could have benefited from fuller wings, though. Strangely enough, Wild Safari models like Guanlong seem to have escaped criticism altogether, despite being more conservatively feathered. There certainly exists a double standard when it comes to 'lifelike' models (e.g. Papo, REBOR etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTLt9ewCbl8

* According to REBORs Facebook page, the final product should not have leaning issues (or have minimized leaning problems).

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 20, 2015, 06:03:19 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 20, 2015, 10:40:26 AM
Quoted for truth, I couldn't agree enough.

I do admit I may have been overly harsh on REBOR, but the way they chose to market themselves and in particular their justifications for doing so offended me rather personally. I'd like to apologize to the other members and to the staff here for the part(s) I played in upsetting the peace numerous times over this issue, but my opinions on REBOR will likely remain the same.

Such arrogant comments really make us want to stay with the "awesomebro" crowd forever.

There is nothing to be proud of being "overeducated", please remember you are always under educated in some people's point of view.

There is no such thing as "overly harsh on someone", it just shows what kind of person you really are.

It's impossible to make everyone loves REBOR, we have the right to stay with our fans and ignore those unreasonable "constructive criticism".

As a private company, please don't expect us to respect everyone or stay silent forever, we CAN be unfriendly if you leave us with no choice.   :)

tyrantqueen

QuoteThere is nothing to be proud of being "overeducated", please remember you are always under educated in some people's point of view.
I didn't make the word up in the first place. I only used it in response to another member. So please don't throw me under the bus for it. It was meant to be a joke.

Tallin

I could criticise the safari guanlong for hours, honestly. Indeed, Rebor seem to attract a lot of nit-picky criticism for some reason...the only reason for which I can see is the rather extraverted and flamboyant way in which the products are introduced... ;)

I personally don't mind that at all as long as this trend in lovely quality continues! The bases also look better every time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That fence I'm on is getting prickly again..knock off the aggressive comments. That goes for both "sides".

Albertosaurus

I just want to see a rare ceratopsian from REBOR.

ladyferry

My Utahraptor & Triceratops hatchling arrived this afternoon and... I love them! Thank-you Rebor x.

Takama

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 20, 2015, 07:36:20 PM

Dont expect anything to Exotic from them. Dan (of Dans Dinosaurs) said they plan on sticking to popular species.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on February 20, 2015, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 20, 2015, 07:36:20 PM

Dont expect anything to Exotic from them. Dan (of Dans Dinosaurs) said they plan on sticking to popular species.

I can understand that..at least until they have finished all the popular ones.  I would guess Triceratops and/or Styracosaurus would be first then.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: