News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 26, 2016, 02:39:25 PM
"Hazelnut" and "Melon" seem like cool ideas, but I hate the skin detailing. They look like they're covered in scars. Rebor's sculptor needs to improve on that.

Agreed, but I imagine it'd be hard to achieve finer detailing at that size

tanystropheus

In 2010, I created the thread, "Papo-like dinosaur toys". It can still be found in the (old) Dinosaur Toy Forum: Version 1 Archive

http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3234

It has given me great pleasure to witness the advent of REBOR as the fulfillment of the "Papo-like dinosaur toys" thread. Back in 2010, Schleich (and a handful of Safaris) was probably the closest thing to Papo  :-[
Six years later, I am still known for being the hardcore resident Papo apologist. I'm also happy to have witnessed newer "Papo-like" product lines emerging (e.g. PNSO) in the marketplace.

Is anyone else really pumped about this market of growing lifelike dinosaur products!!??

Viking Spawn

tanystropheus

Awesome, I love the fact that our numbers keep growing! I'm pretty sure that by 2017 even folks that do not find the REBOR style palatable will have at least 1 REBOR in their collection. This company seems to appeal to all tastes (unfortunately, not at the same time). Introduce a few obscure, anatomically accurate species and REBOR will have all the collector's attention.

suspsy

Count me out. Even if by some miracle REBOR did produce a dinosaur product that actually looked like a real animal as opposed to a tired old Jurassic Park clone, I still wouldn't buy it. I've seen way too many instances of inexcusable behaviour on REBOR's part to ever fork over any of my money to them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Sounds good. Being in the pharmaceutical industry, I gave up the notion of anthropomorphizing companies a long time ago.  >:D

suspsy

If you choose to ignore REBOR's record of rude and insulting comments here (that got them banned twice) and on their Facebook page, that's entirely your prerogative. But it's pretty presumptuous of you to try and claim that everyone should love their products.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2016, 05:25:25 PM
If you choose to ignore REBOR's record of rude and insulting comments here (that got them banned twice) and on their Facebook page, that's entirely your prerogative. But it's pretty presumptuous of you to try and claim that everyone should love their products.

I understand where you are coming from, but you have to admit that there will be an inbuilt bias on your part with respect to how you evaluate future REBOR products, regardless of the overall quality.

suspsy

Since I have already stated many times in the past that I will not deal with REBOR due to their repulsive behaviour, why should I have to admit it again?

Moreover, even before they started posting here and making inappropriate comments about other companies, scientific accuracy, and anyone who disagrees with them, their products were still clearly lacking. How many times must it be pointed out that their dinosaurs are little more than expensive Jurassic Park clones? That's not lifelike. That's no different from claiming that Jaws is a lifelike great white shark. Furthermore, REBOR has openly stated that they are not interested in trying to improve the accuracy of their products. They're far more concerned about being AWESOMEBRO.

If you still like their stuff, great. Have a ball. But just don't go around presuming that every single collector is going to want them. Can you do that?

Viking Spawn

I'm a little confused Suspsy?  I respect your opinion and have seen your reviews which seem pretty thorough.  But if you despise Rebor that much, why do you frequent this section of the forum?  Especially now that its in its own separate section?  I could understand your irritation before when there were multiple Rebor threads all over the place but now...?  If anything, I would think simply you coming here would put you in a bad mood?

Unless you're a moderator of this section?   

We've had our disagreements over models before but you were always respectful in that regard.  Just curious as to why you would frustrate yourself?  Or maybe not?  :-\

Shadowknight1

No one should say that other people should love a certain company's products and we shouldn't think less of people that do or don't like certain products.  We shouldn't look down on people for liking Rebor's dinosaurs any more than we should look down on people for disliking them.  I own three of their products, only one of which I absolutely love(three guesses which...), but I don't hate them either.  Same for Papo or CollectA or even Schleich(granted I only like their dragons, not their dinos).
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

suspsy

I like to keep abreast of what's going on with all the different companies, even if I don't buy the products. I wouldn't be posting at all in this thread normally, but I didn't care one bit for tanystropheus' presumption. And now that I've said all that I wanted to say, I'm done here.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Viking Spawn on May 28, 2016, 08:26:30 PM
I'm a little confused Suspsy?  I respect your opinion and have seen your reviews which seem pretty thorough.  But if you despise Rebor that much, why do you frequent this section of the forum?  Especially now that its in its own separate section?  I could understand your irritation before when there were multiple Rebor threads all over the place but now...?  If anything, I would think simply you coming here would put you in a bad mood?

We've had our disagreements over models before but you were always respectful in that regard.  Just curious as to why you would frustrate yourself?  Or maybe not?  :-\
Tanystropheus has been making many such posts claiming that REBOR's products are objectively superior, and even claiming that people who don't like them are in denial. For example in the RECUR thread (but I do recall other examples in the past). Suspy's comment seemed in reference specifically to Tanystropheus attitude and claims rather than about REBOR.

suspsy

Takama

Personally from what i can gather from the photos i saw online. Rebors models are nothing more then overpriced Papo models with a low species selection.    I find it funny how none of the latest Prehistoric Times magazines has brought this company up at all. its like they are not a True Dinosaur model company. Evan Geoworld has ads in that magazine.     I contemplated buying Rebor products, but i have to be super picky with there products as I only care about the animals and not the other crap that comes with them.  Also There species selection is very uninspiring. Evan Sideshow impresses me more then Rebor with there Tupaxura and new Gastonia, Granted, i will never have the room for one of them, but If Rebor had more then just Commonly made Herbivores and household name Theropods, i would be more then willing to make room for them because there smaller then Sideshows.  That Compy Really made me think they were going to impress me, but then they show off stupid stuff like a T.Rex in a tube, and force me to buy bases for models that should of came with them in the first place. 

Rain

Quote from: Takama on May 28, 2016, 11:07:23 PM
Personally from what i can gather from the photos i saw online. Rebors models are nothing more then overpriced Papo models with a low species selection.    I find it funny how none of the latest Prehistoric Times magazines has brought this company up at all. its like they are not a True Dinosaur model company. Evan Geoworld has ads in that magazine.     I contemplated buying Rebor products, but i have to be super picky with there products as I only care about the animals and not the other crap that comes with them.  Also There species selection is very uninspiring. Evan Sideshow impresses me more then Rebor with there Tupaxura and new Gastonia, Granted, i will never have the room for one of them, but If Rebor had more then just Commonly made Herbivores and household name Theropods, i would be more then willing to make room for them because there smaller then Sideshows.  That Compy Really made me think they were going to impress me, but then they show off stupid stuff like a T.Rex in a tube, and force me to buy bases for models that should of came with them in the first place.

I don't follow the Prehistoric Times magazines, but thats not how ads work lol.. Companies usually pay to have their products featured as ads. So not appearing as an advertisement doesn't mean much.

Takama

I stand corrected.    Still i dont think they been mentioned in the magazine at all. or at least in the relevant parts.   

Please correct me if im wrong, I buy them but I dont read everything in them. and may have missed a mention of Rebor in one of them if it was there at all.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on May 28, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
Since I have already stated many times in the past that I will not deal with REBOR due to their repulsive behaviour, why should I have to admit it again?

Moreover, even before they started posting here and making inappropriate comments about other companies, scientific accuracy, and anyone who disagrees with them, their products were still clearly lacking. How many times must it be pointed out that their dinosaurs are little more than expensive Jurassic Park clones? That's not lifelike. That's no different from claiming that Jaws is a lifelike great white shark. Furthermore, REBOR has openly stated that they are not interested in trying to improve the accuracy of their products. They're far more concerned about being AWESOMEBRO.

If you still like their stuff, great. Have a ball. But just don't go around presuming that every single collector is going to want them. Can you do that?

I don't think you understand the definition of 'lifelike'
'lifelike' is akin to photorealistic. It doesn't have to be accurate.
The Papo Kaprosuchus and the Safari Postosuchus are 'lifelike'. All the PNSOs are 'lifelike' despite the emaciated style.
JP is 'lifelike', 'breathable' but not accurate. 'Lifelike' is the opposite of cartoony. It is the product of meticulous texture detailing and paint job and does not need to correspond to anatomy. It can be altogether inaccurate as many 'Lifelike' models have oversized scales and scutes.
Stop conflating terms.

And, regarding REBOR accuracy. They've stated that they will make some models that cater to the awesomebro crowd and some models that cater to the accuracybro crowd.  Where do the Dimorphodon set fit in?

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 28, 2016, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on May 28, 2016, 08:26:30 PM

Tanystropheus has been making many such posts claiming that REBOR's products are objectively superior, and even claiming that people who don't like them are in denial. For example in the RECUR thread (but I do recall other examples in the past). Suspy's comment seemed in reference specifically to Tanystropheus attitude and claims rather than about REBOR.

I bet you can't find a single post where I state that the REBOR products are objectively superior.
You yourself even claimed to have liked a REBOR or two in your posts, but changed your stance within the past week. Generally, people who don't like the REBOR style have praised one or two models. Just an observation, and there are several, several posts to back up my statements regarding the fact that there are people on the forums that like a model or two. Not sure how you interpreted my posts to assume "that people who don't like them are in denial". I haven't stated anything more than the obvious, but for some reason or another you've been entering the uncanny valley territory.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on May 28, 2016, 11:07:23 PM

I thought the T-rex in the tube was pretty cool. It isn't part of their main line, though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: