News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 19, 2018, 06:27:02 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on March 19, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
I have to agree with that. As much as I like the JP version (as a movie monster), I don't know if there are really any accurate models out there currently for this genus (that do it justice).

We have reasonably accurate Monolophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus. I wonder what went wrong with Dilo...
Jurassic Park went wrong.  Ever since that movie, people think of it in that fashion, as a tiny venom spitting lizard.  The closest I've seen to a good Dilophosaurus figure is Papo's, but they kinda let me down with the pose.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on March 19, 2018, 05:51:10 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 19, 2018, 03:15:08 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 19, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
I think when they Started Jurassic Park back in the 90s, they should've gone for the real king of the dinosaurs, Giganotosaurus!
At that time i hadn't even heard of Giganotosaurus.  I think i may have vaguely known what Amargasaurus  and Carnotaurus were in 93'.

Aye, Giganotosaurus wasn't described until 1995. I remember reading about it back then!

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 19, 2018, 06:16:53 AM
yea its fairly new compared to the t Rex which i forget how long ago was it now? like over a century ago or are getting close?

Geez you guys are making me feel old..

Depends what you go by but yeah i would say Tyrannosaurus is roughly a 100 years or more old now.

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 19, 2018, 11:03:51 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 19, 2018, 06:27:02 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on March 19, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
I have to agree with that. As much as I like the JP version (as a movie monster), I don't know if there are really any accurate models out there currently for this genus (that do it justice).

We have reasonably accurate Monolophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus. I wonder what went wrong with Dilo...
Jurassic Park went wrong.  Ever since that movie, people think of it in that fashion, as a tiny venom spitting lizard.  The closest I've seen to a good Dilophosaurus figure is Papo's, but they kinda let me down with the pose.

Papo roughly copied the Sideshow Dinosauria statue which is a pretty great pair of proper Dilophosaurus.

Shonisaurus

I think that this dilophosaurus is even better than others from other brands. However, I find him with a pretty blunt nose, which is an appreciation of mine, but I find the hozico little prominent.

That does not mean that it is detailed as all Rebor figures are and we must know what the figure will be like for now we only know two photographs. I hope it is as good or better than its carnotaurus Rebor whose figure is for me one of the best on the market.  :)

Reptilia

The actual Itoy Dilophosaurus is a far cry from what's shown in the promotional images, I would at least wait for the Rebor's to be released to say which one is superior.

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on March 20, 2018, 08:00:44 PM
The actual Itoy Dilophosaurus is a far cry from what's shown in the promotional images, I would at least wait for the Rebor's to be released to say which one is superior.

Oh? I was pretty happy with the one I bought, although I did expect it to have some means of attaching to to its base. But, it stays upright well enough even without that, and the base itself is fantastic.

I do like the concept of a poseable head and neck, which REBOR seem to be planning here, but doesn't that require the model to be perforated at intervals?

Reptilia

For what I've seen in video reviews the paint app is nothing like the promo, and honestly it looks as muscular and overtextured as the Rebor one. If we want to be that picky I think that none of the two replicate the agile body the creature shows on screen. I guess this is another case of "it's bad because it's Rebor"...?

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on March 20, 2018, 08:32:03 PMIf we want to be that picky I think that none of the two replicate the agile body the creature shows on screen. I guess this is another case of "it's bad because it's Rebor"...?

True, neither one is really that close to the JP version - too bulky and too scaly.  You're also correct on your second point, at least in my case. I feel better buying stuff from iToy than from REBOR. Personal opinion, no judgement, buy what you like, etc, etc.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Patrx on March 20, 2018, 08:08:26 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on March 20, 2018, 08:00:44 PM

Oh? I was pretty happy with the one I bought, although I did expect it to have some means of attaching to to its base. But, it stays upright well enough even without that, and the base itself is fantastic.

I do like the concept of a poseable head and neck, which REBOR seem to be planning here, but doesn't that require the model to be perforated at intervals?

I would be curious about that too, we know the old JP Kenner Coelophysis and Tanystropheus needed it.  I guess when they release any of those flexible figures they've been toting we'll see. 

Reptilia

Quote from: Patrx on March 20, 2018, 09:03:58 PM
You're also correct on your second point, at least in my case. I feel better buying stuff from iToy than from REBOR.

I wasn't referring to you in particular when I said "it's bad because it's Rebor", was talking in general. We only have a 3D prototype picture and we already decided that the figure is bad? Way too early, I'd say.

Syndicate Bias

not bashing anyone since i kinda do not like most of rebors creations or the way they handled in the past but to explain about it i mean, rebor has a bad reputation in this forum and some members will outright bash their prototypes without really giving them a second thought but that's just my two cents

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think it's bad because it's Rebor.. that fact just lowers my expectations.  What I don't like about it is, one it's not a scientifically accurate Dilophosaurus and two which is really on the same level, it's also not a film accurate "Spitter" which I would have have also liked. 

Syndicate Bias

i wadnt pointing anyone out my bad. I mean i was gonna finish my point with its kinda justifiable because the way rebor does their scales and how they dont care to even look at fossils or even a picture of what said animal looked like no, they just kinda piss on accuracy of most of their dinosaurs.

Which i can see why rebor isnt liked at all by many here

also because they handled feedback poorly

Flaffy

A real shame. Seems like they're the only ones willing to make a oversized anaconda Titanoboa, but yet their ruined it with angry eyebrows just because "real life is boring" and they wanted to make it "cooler", when the real anaconda is cool enough as is.
Even the b movie "Anaconda" doesn't have such extreme angry eyebrows

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 21, 2018, 02:06:09 AM
i wadnt pointing anyone out my bad. I mean i was gonna finish my point with its kinda justifiable because the way rebor does their scales and how they dont care to even look at fossils or even a picture of what said animal looked like no, they just kinda piss on accuracy of most of their dinosaurs.

Which i can see why rebor isnt liked at all by many here

also because they handled feedback poorly

Not at all, just voicing my opinion on the subject.   Everyone is inclined to like what they like. I detest Rebor's handling of feedback, but I still bought their JP Raptors.   

Again, my main complaint here is they seem to have just decided doing things half measure was good enough to get some sales.  :/

Shonisaurus

The truth is that in this year they are taking a long time to market their products. I do not know what happens to PNSO.

As for the dilophosaurus I would have liked without tail and flexible neck is my particular opinion I would have preferred that it had the same format as theropods such as carnotaurus or acrocanthosaurus to give two examples. As with the ankylosaurus, I will only buy it when it appears in a promotional video.

Syndicate Bias

i agree. i never cared for articulated jaws but flexible tails and necks and articulated arms and so on really put me off, whther its the limbs falling off or the paint getting rubbed out over time its kinda sad how rebor is doing these things when their target audience was adult collectors but with these things it starts to seem more lile for kids than anything

Paleodude

I think the biggest problem I have with this Dilophosaurus and a lot of REBOR figures as a whole is they try and go half Jurassic Park and half accurate which leads to the figure having too much screen inaccuracies for JP fans and too many anatomical mistakes for fans of accurate dinosaurs. It really does just lead to middle of the road figures that just become overly generic when compared to other figures. Had they gone full Jurassic Park with the frills and general anatomy or made an accurate representation I think all of us would be much happier.

Reptilia

I think their Velociraptors are pretty much perfect, and the compies quite good too. The T-Rex wasn't meant to be a proper JP replica, I believe. We'll see what this Dilophosaurus will look like when finished, at the moment I just can't see all those major discrepancies people are pointing out.

Shonisaurus

I understand, like you, that we must wait for them to reveal authentic and finished figures of that dilophosaurus, we need a number of photographs from various angles to judge that figure.

On the other hand (I always do that with Rebor) we have to wait for them to reveal a promotional video of that figure so that we can judge whether it is worthy of the collection I have of Rebor or not.

It is very premature to judge both the figures of the dilophosaurus and those of the ankylosaurus with photos of projects not yet finished.

We need the figure completely finished to judge.

That does not mean that I think it is outrageous from my point of view and I say it with all the affection of the world for Rebor and his paleo-sculptors who make excessively articulated figures of dinosaurs. Honestly I liked more moderately static figures such as acrocanthosaurus, yutyrannus, compsognathus, triceratops breeding, stegosaurus breeding or ceratosaurus (with all the manufacturing defects that these figures have). In any case I would like them to be at least like their velociraptors or carnotaurus (magnificent figures by the way).

I do not like overly articulated figures (except the Tyrannosaurus Kaiyodo from May-June 2018). I prefer in general terms the totally non-articulated figures as some toy companies still do, but it is a mere appreciation of mine. I understand that Rebor is bothering their manufacture without ceasing to be good figures.

But for articulated figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals we already have the excellent brands of Jurassic Park, Lego or Play Movil for putting three examples, which are great especially for children but in my case as a collector I am not an enthusiast regardless of whether they are sensational and very nice and cool figures, but I think they fit more for the smallest of the house and there are even many young children who are interested in static figures because in this way they are more profitable figures for the game and in a certain way they are much more educational

I respect the current artistic licenses of Rebor and its commercial philosophy but feeling very much I do not share them and I say this with all the respect of the world to this dinosaur company that for me seemed destined to more adult collectors.

Sim

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 19, 2018, 02:13:50 AM
I think when they Started Jurassic Park back in the 90s, they should've gone for the real king of the dinosaurs, Giganotosaurus!

Giganotosaurus hadn't been discovered yet at that point in time.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 20, 2018, 09:05:01 PM
Quote from: Patrx on March 20, 2018, 08:08:26 PM

I would be curious about that too, we know the old JP Kenner Coelophysis and Tanystropheus needed it.  I guess when they release any of those flexible figures they've been toting we'll see.

I think Rebor has already released some flexible figures, the Deinonychus?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: