News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minmiminime

I'm glad they've gone for this original version, and not the one with the oversized head they previewed. I'll wait until I see clear shots of the finished model, but right now they have a keen customer ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

It looks really good. It could almost be mistaken for a Chronic Collectibles item.

I'm always puzzled why folks who are JP fans hate on products made by REBOR/Papo, in favor of Kenner, Hasbro or Mattel. Without a doubt the dinosaurs produced by REBOR or Papo are closer approximations to the JP films. I suspect it may be a price issue. Either that or enthusiasts secretly enjoy playing with their toys (or their kids' toys)....

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 15, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
It looks really good. It could almost be mistaken for a Chronic Collectibles item.

I'm always puzzled why folks who are JP fans hate on products made by REBOR/Papo, in favor of Kenner, Hasbro or Mattel. Without a doubt the dinosaurs produced by REBOR or Papo are closer approximations to the JP films. I suspect it may be a price issue. Either that or enthusiasts secretly enjoy playing with their toys (or their kids' toys)....
I don't think very many members here are secretive about enjoying figures with articulation or play features, and for the record I do take a bit of offense to the implication that that makes us lesser than someone who doesn't.

You're also not taking into account the convenience of having figures in a consistent scale and art-style, which is something Mattel should absolutely be applauded for. REBOR and Papo products are wildly out of scale, and REBOR products are done with varying degrees of stylization, though Kenner and Hasbro are also guilty of both of these.

Some people are also uncomfortable buying what are in practice stolen designs when there are licensed versions available. When there is no reasonably priced or current version of a design available from licensed companies that is one thing, but licensed JP figures are everywhere, including collector oriented figures.

mgaguilar

Posting from the W-Dragon thread for prototype comparisons.

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 16, 2018, 06:35:49 AM
Hey guys, I made a comparison of the anticipated Spinosaurus figures (their Z-Brush prototypes) and added the Jurassic Park III Spinosaurus render.
JPIII at top, obviously, with W-Dragon at the middle, and Rebor at the bottom.
W-Dragon seems to be skin and folds, and Rebor's seems to be scaly.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 16, 2018, 03:40:25 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 15, 2018, 03:21:46 PM

I don't think very many members here are secretive about enjoying figures with articulation or play features, and for the record I do take a bit of offense to the implication that that makes us lesser than someone who doesn't.

You're also not taking into account the convenience of having figures in a consistent scale and art-style, which is something Mattel should absolutely be applauded for. REBOR and Papo products are wildly out of scale, and REBOR products are done with varying degrees of stylization, though Kenner and Hasbro are also guilty of both of these.

Some people are also uncomfortable buying what are in practice stolen designs when there are licensed versions available. When there is no reasonably priced or current version of a design available from licensed companies that is one thing, but licensed JP figures are everywhere, including collector oriented figures.

I agree. This line of thought seems to come from someone who perhaps did not grow up with the Kenner Jurassic Park toy lines. There's a lot of nostalgia there for many of us who did, and the quality and playability of those lines are still highly regarded. That's why it's so great to see Mattel doing what they're doing. Even though I collect both Papo and Rebor, the fact that they're unlicensed and not produced as toys alongside coinciding vehicles and human figures (nor with mass produced availability at Walmart or Target) keeps Papo and Rebor in a different category of collectible.

Shonisaurus

I am not a fan at all of the dinosaurs and prehistoric articulated animals and I also have to affirm that scientific figures of other companies are much more liked. But I have to affirm that the figures based on JP / JW are the most sold in the public and obviously both Papo and Rebor (on the other hand magnificent companies) a considerable part of their figures of prehistoric animals are based as is logical in that successful saga of Hollywood and I do not blame them for their aptitude. I understand them, they move by the law of supply and demand.

However the figures of Papo and Rebor are finely sculpted and detailed figures and there is one aspect that I have to emphasize I like them above all because most of their figures are painted with conservative and realistic colors that at the same time are attractive and not boring.

The positive thing that Rebor has is that according to their facebook page they are going to make a scientific model of this spinosaurus figure, if that is the case, it will satisfy the demands of both consumers of those who admire the "pop" art of dinosaurs and that we are followers of scientific figures.

The truth is that unfortunately most of the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are speculative, that is to say their paleontological remains are deficient, so it is very difficult to determine what would be the true real aspect of these imposing and beautiful creatures.

Minmiminime

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar that's pretty interesting! The Rebor model is almost identical to the JP one in form, but the skin detail is more akin to the Papo version. As they are apparent admirers of Papo, I wonder if they have done this almost as a companion piece? 🤔 Great news for JP Spinosaurus fans (but not for me, not even that beautiful Wan Long Tang version 😉)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

"Rejoice! We are 4 years old!

We would like to express our gratitude and appreciation to all fans and collectors out there, you guys are truly amazing and we couldn't have come this far without your constant love and support! Now to celebrate - how about a 1:35 scale scientifically accurate T-rex under 15 quid? Introducing the very first figure from the REBOR GRAB N GO line, no fuss no muss no wallet breaker, just your favourite dinosaurs designed in the prefect vinyl format!"

Dyscrasia

I also saw this in Rebor's facebook page, and I think they did a decent job.

It would be pretty great if Rebor focuses more on representing their models based on up to date scientific information

because they really do have the talent to pull it off.

Dobber

I really like that! I don't understand the "Grab n Go" line. How will it be different from their standard fare?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

Great, I see they're back to their old tricks. This is about as scientifically accurate as what Mattel's been making these days.

That being said, vinyl, so I can't say I'm not excited for what else they'll be doing! I assume "Grab and Go!" is in reference to vinyl being significantly cheaper material to use and these toys being solid pieces with no articulation.

Come on REBOR, give me that giant JP Compy that somehow hasn't been made already, please.

I love vinyl. It's cheaper with essentially no downsides versus "stronger" traditional plastic mixtures. It's more flexible when thin, so arguably more durable in that sense, but when thick you won't even notice the difference. Only reason not to use it is consistency for smaller segments of plastic.

Shonisaurus

Of course I will be a sure buyer of that vinyl beauty. This philosophy seems very good to me on the part of Rebor. They have made a scientifically precise tyrannnosaurus rex and being a vinyl figure is much cheaper than solid PVC dinosaurs.

My congratulations to Rebor plor another part thanks IrritatorRaji for sending these photographs and facebook links. They have done a good job, nice and cheap and most importantly accurate.

Flaffy

Oh look, another T. rex. Something we definitely needed.
Like the concept, don't care for the actual figure itself, easy pass.

empire3569

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 18, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
Great, I see they're back to their old tricks. This is about as scientifically accurate as what Mattel's been making these days.

That being said, vinyl, so I can't say I'm not excited for what else they'll be doing! I assume "Grab and Go!" is in reference to vinyl being significantly cheaper material to use and these toys being solid pieces with no articulation.

Come on REBOR, give me that giant JP Compy that somehow hasn't been made already, please.

I love vinyl. It's cheaper with essentially no downsides versus "stronger" traditional plastic mixtures. It's more flexible when thin, so arguably more durable in that sense, but when thick you won't even notice the difference. Only reason not to use it is consistency for smaller segments of plastic.

Would you mind if I asked what some of the differences are between vinyl and PVC? Is there a difference in quality at all between the two? Are vinyl figures hollow vs solid PVC?

stargatedalek

Quote from: empire3569 on September 18, 2018, 04:16:48 PM

Would you mind if I asked what some of the differences are between vinyl and PVC? Is there a difference in quality at all between the two? Are vinyl figures hollow vs solid PVC?
The only major difference is that vinyl is more flexible, but it's not so flexible that you would notice if it wasn't thin or hollow. It's the material of choice for large plastic figures since it's lightweight, and if you stuff it with polyester etc. you can make a plastic figure that basically functions as a plush.

Minmiminime

I can't wait to see how this one turns out 😁 Despite having a load of rexes I just can't get enough of 'em, and this has the binocular vision and also appears to have lips. It could be a very good modern counterpart for Invicta!

tanystropheus

I think you are exaggerating a bit. It looks similar to Sideshow's T-rex.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dinosauria-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-sideshow-collectibles-2002091/

tanystropheus

Quote from: Flaffy on September 18, 2018, 03:54:28 PM

It would only seem like a pass if you are not a fan of T-rex or theropods...or out of space.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2018, 05:59:15 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on September 18, 2018, 03:54:28 PM

It would only seem like a pass if you are not a fan of T-rex or theropods...or out of space.

To be honest, being someone who's not the biggest Rex fan, even I find it difficult to just pass up on this figure. I mean, it's making an attempt to be scientifically accurate (it's Rebor, I'm never going to expect 100% accuracy), it's a decent size at 1:35 scale, and it's only £15. Say what you want about Rebor but that's not bad!

Halichoeres

I have to say I like this development from Rebor, although I'll probably skip this first one. It's definitely their best rex yet, but I really don't need more rexes.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: