News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I don't really think Rebor's "vaporware" habit is comparable to either Vitae or PNSO. Vitae had their first release at the end of last year, and revealed their future plans in January 2018. Several of those are already in people's hands.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6168.msg189923#msg189923

And PNSO kind of imploded and reconstituted themselves, which Rebor hasn't had to contend with, and nevertheless have shown production samples of new product in the last month.

Whereas, for example, Rebor announced their crocodiles back in May 2017 and we haven't really seen any hint that they'll release them soon.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg171704#msg171704
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

empire3569

So I messaged Rebor about the new Grab and Go line, and they stated the figures will be made hollow instead of solid vinyl, which I think is a bit of a shame. I'll probably stay away as I generally like more solid and sturdy models

However, as I have said before, that Stegosaurus continues to look great! A few minor inaccuracies (like the number of plates) but overall very well done, hoping this one gets expedited and released sooner rather than later

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 19, 2018, 03:53:53 PM
Is there any evidence to suggest that REBOR integrates forum feedback to improve the design of their prototypes?

I would imagine that any company would be ecstatic to hear the many ways they could potentially improve their design before it launches in the market.

I suppose the only real evidence of this is with their upcoming 'Killer Queen', where the size of the head was reduced. I did see that many forum members complained about the oversized head, though I doubt Rebor read feedback from here and I haven't checked their FB page for complaints by other people, so I can't say for certain whether the change was made as a response to customer feedback or done of their own accord.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: empire3569 on September 19, 2018, 04:20:08 PM
So I messaged Rebor about the new Grab and Go line, and they stated the figures will be made hollow instead of solid vinyl, which I think is a bit of a shame. I'll probably stay away as I generally like more solid and sturdy models

Well, the whole idea behind the line is to make it as cheap and affordable as possible, so I'm not at all surprised to learn that they'll be hollow.

stargatedalek

Quote from: empire3569 on September 19, 2018, 04:20:08 PM
Vinyl can be pretty sturdy even when hollow, the large PNSO figures and Kaiyodo Sofubi Toybox figures are two immediate examples that come to mind.

I wouldn't give up yet on that basis alone, these could end up being plenty sturdy (or indeed, they could end up something like the giant Favorite vinyl figures).

Minmiminime

Hollow vinyl sounds fine to me 😊 I've never had any durability issues with the Kaiyodo and PNSO ones I have, and I don't expect any to manifest themselves, plus they don't hurt as much if I drop them on my feet 😜 I suspect they'll have teething troubles, but this material should allow for them to continue producing figures in dynamic poses without sagging as much through weight load...

The Stego is huge. I'm totally sold on that one! 😁
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

MESOZOIC BEAST

Ok, my thoughts on Rebor's Spinosaurus:

I have never particularly liked the too-perfect (parabolic) shape of the sail/fin that is often illustrated (and modelled) for Spinosaurus, it just looks wrong to me. There is an interesting (and fairly recent) scientific publication, titled "Semiaquatic adaptations in a giant predatory dinosaur" by Ibrahim et al (2014). This is an article published in Science journal and can be freely downloaded from the ResearchGate website. There is actually quite a lot of the skeleton of Spinosaurus that has now been found, varying between juvenile and adult specimens. In this description they have managed to construct a virtually complete, adult skeleton by using size-adjusted scans for the juvenile/subadult fossil material. The sail/fin actually has a more saddle-shaped depression just in front of the hip area. This just seems much more likely than the "has-to-look-perfect" shape that modellers tend to use for Spinosaurus. If model makers are going to use terms such as "scientifically accurate/friendly", then perhaps they could just try to do a little more research, there's lots of (usually) freely available online descriptions

But, I must admit that I do like their new vinyl T. rex, this is much more like it

Shonisaurus

By the way the stegosaurus will be hollow vinyl or solid PVC?

With regard to the hollow figures I do not see what problem they have, they are more affordable and most importantly as consistent and durable as the solid PVC figures. I think it's good that Rebor has brought out a new line of hollow toys. I think it also does so because in this way at more attractive prices claim to have more acceptance among consumers and also because economic effects are a respite for them, I understand that these figures of hollow vinyl are cheaper for production purposes which causes who risk less in the commercial sense.

Although honestly I like solid dinosaurs more, but that's an appreciation of mine.

IrritatorRaji

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus The Stegosaurus will be solid PVC :) (Not sure if the tail will bend)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 19, 2018, 07:09:31 PM
avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus The Stegosaurus will be solid PVC :) (Not sure if the tail will bend)

That is very good news for me. Although I like vinyl dinosaurs (in fact I will buy the tyrannosaurus rex from Rebor vinyl model I like even more PVC models.) Thanks for the information, avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji  :)

jean

I've got a question to all rebor fans and collectors, i would like to know the stability of their dinos. To me , the Winston and blind box raptor hatchlings are considered totally not stable and Alex Delarge,Pete being extremely stable. How stable is Kind Rex, Hercules,Savage, Y-rex, and the carnotaurus compared to the two raptors i've mentioned?

Also, ive never had a vinyl figure before, is it something like the collecta deluxe acrocanthosaurus or carcharodontosaurus? (they both do feel hollow inside too)

Minmiminime

Hello, J @jean ! I collected Rebor dinosaurs right at the start, and have had stability issues with the Ceratosaurus, the King Rex and the Utahraptor, for which I had to fashion a prop to keep it upright. The issue with the King was largely eradicated with the addition of The Fallen Queen Triceratops base piece, and the Ceratosaurus I have to periodically treat with hot water to correct the warping it suffered in its box. The Acrocanthosaurus has remained stable throughout, as has the Y-Rex. As far as I'm aware, Rebor corrected the issues with the affected figures for later production runs. Also, their figures are very robust and have sustained very little damage from falls.

I have had no issues with vinyl figures warping at all and am increasingly fond of this material for model dinosaurs; it's tough, holds detail and paint apps very well, and is very lightweight. I don't think CollectA use vinyl for any models, but I may be wrong!

I hope this helps!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

J @jean It may be due to the climate of the area in which you live the reason that said figure (Winston's breeding is not stable). In my case, these figures are perfectly maintained.

In regard to Rebor's carcharodontosaurus and acrocanthosaurus are solid plastic. I do not have vinyl figures (I'm going to have them when I buy soutlands replicas the diprotodon) and in this case I can not give my opinion that the vinyl figures are lighter but I think they do not present any problems, they are cheaper than the figures of Solid PVC As for the vinyl figures in my case I can not advise you.

In my case in the locality in which I live for the reasons that my figures are fortunately perfectly maintained, these figures may not be maintained correctly due to manufacturing defects. I hope that at this point it has helped you.

And first of all Welcome to the forum!

Takama

The Grab and Go T.Rex may be my first product from them.

HOWEVER I wish to see what else they have planned for the Grab and Go Line before i shell out the cash. Because i dont want to waste money on the start to a potential collection if they are not going to expand upon it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on September 21, 2018, 10:51:39 PM
The Grab and Go T.Rex may be my first product from them.

HOWEVER I wish to see what else they have planned for the Grab and Go Line before i shell out the cash. Because i dont want to waste money on the start to a potential collection if they are not going to expand upon it.

I think it should also work well as a standalone product. It really depends on how you classify it in your mind.

jean

avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime thanks , did you get the y-Rex later ,or was it stable right from the start ?

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus thanks for the warm welcome , did you get your rebor dinos in recent years or right from their first production ? Coz I wanna know if they've solved the stability issue for later productions or was it a climate thing like you said .

Shonisaurus

Quote from: jean on September 22, 2018, 01:49:07 AM
avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime thanks , did you get the y-Rex later ,or was it stable right from the start ?

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus thanks for the warm welcome , did you get your rebor dinos in recent years or right from their first production ? Coz I wanna know if they've solved the stability issue for later productions or was it a climate thing like you said .

J @jean The Rebor dinosaurs I received during the first production, that is, metaphorically "taken out of the oven". I understand that your stability problem may be due to the climate in which you live. They are PVC figures and according to the weather I understand that it is the reason why your figures do not hold up.

However, there are ways (as members of the forum commented in their day) of keeping the figures upright. One of the ways is to use a hair dryer and apply them to the legs of the theropods for example.

Minmiminime

J @jean I have always bought their products as soon as they're released ^-^ For all its issues design-wise, I've honestly never had my Y-Rex fall over in the years I've had it, despite the dynamic pose

jean

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus  thanks for the tip!

avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime  the hercules too? ( i mean it didnt fall off even once?)

Shonisaurus

J @jean The acrocanthosaurus of Rebor nicknamed "Hercules" have never fallen to me. In my case it does not present any stability problem.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: