News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2019, 04:15:30 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 04:11:37 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2019, 03:35:24 AM

I don't think misrepresenting what's happened to them and making lies is something worthy of praise. What is worthy of praise however, is how the ultimate production end response has been carried out in choosing to focus on more accessible materials and cost to widen their availability to consumers. I've already mentioned that I'm glad they've started this new line, as their products were simply not financially competitive.

Their Grab N' Go line has all the ingredients of success. Cheap enough to thwart counterfeit products. Aesthetic and Scientifically repurposed, as well.

I don't know....if it can be copied and offered cheaper someone will do it.  What's " Scientifically Repurposed " about it? They aren't all accurate as the Baby Raptor proves.

I thought their Grab N' Go line includes mostly accurate representations like their quadrupedal Spino, Deinosuchus or perhaps they've decided to move all their other product lines into the Grab N' Go...? REBOR is claiming that their Grab N' Go line will be close enough in price to knock-offs that it wouldn't be worth going for the fakes since for a few bucks more you can pick up the authentic version. They are claiming to reduce the price gap.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 05:00:12 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2019, 04:15:30 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 04:11:37 AM

I don't think misrepresenting what's happened to them and making lies is something worthy of praise. What is worthy of praise however, is how the ultimate production end response has been carried out in choosing to focus on more accessible materials and cost to widen their availability to consumers. I've already mentioned that I'm glad they've started this new line, as their products were simply not financially competitive.

Their Grab N' Go line has all the ingredients of success. Cheap enough to thwart counterfeit products. Aesthetic and Scientifically repurposed, as well.

I don't know....if it can be copied and offered cheaper someone will do it.  What's " Scientifically Repurposed " about it? They aren't all accurate as the Baby Raptor proves.

I thought their Grab N' Go line includes mostly accurate representations like their quadrupedal Spino, Deinosuchus or perhaps they've decided to move all their other product lines into the Grab N' Go...? REBOR is claiming that their Grab N' Go line will be close enough in price to knock-offs that it wouldn't be worth going for the fakes since for a few bucks more you can pick up the authentic version. They are claiming to reduce the price gap.

They said the little raptor at 1:2 scale would be added to the line. Not sure how big that is, but i did suggest they should just go 1:1 with it. 

I'll believe it when i see it heh if you make something for 10.00 you can bet someone will find a way to sell it for 8.00.   Has anyone copied PNSO yet? 

Syndicate Bias

Don't think so. I thought bootleggers are less likely to try with Chinese companies due to their reach in well...China lol

Im pretty sure the bootlegging for Rebor has mainly been the effect of their prices and also sculpts. Safari and CollectA and other companies don't get the attention Papo and Rebor get due to pricing and sculpting style.

I think if I am aware, I read the post again and Rebor said they spend tens of thousands of pounds on more than just sculpting and moulding. They listed alot of things there which essentially summarises that they meant the entire thing from start to finish costs alot. Makes sense considering Rebor makes more than just a few numbered models.

I'm wondering if the Medical Waste is true. After all rumours start from somewhere but most importantly we can't prove that those bootlegs aren't made of them or not until someone has actual evidence and offers to do research by buying several bootlegs and test them in a lab to check what kinds of contents they're made of.

I applaud their efforts to make themselves more affordable. I just wish they would make more unique dinosaurs

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 27, 2019, 07:22:53 AM

I'm wondering if the Medical Waste is true. After all rumours start from somewhere but most importantly we can't prove that those bootlegs aren't made of them or not until someone has actual evidence and offers to do research by buying several bootlegs and test them in a lab to check what kinds of contents they're made of.

Regardless, I would think twice about inhaling or putting bootlegs in my mouth as opposed to my more authentic models.

Shonisaurus

Honestly I think the message of Rebor is correct in that they are not going to market for now many of the expected figures, at least they have been honest about the deadlines.

Another thing is the excuse that prehistoric crocodiles do not commercialize due to the imitators of figures in China. Although they did not know the mold, the smugglers would make imitation figures of the sarcosuchus and the deinosuchus. In fact they make imitations of clothes, handbags, brand shoes, colognes, in short of everything and they skip the commercial secret they are experts. I think that the sarcosuchus and deinosuchus is a sincerely an excuse. But I respect the decision of Rebor, at least they have been sincere in relation to the revelation of figures and it is a point in their favor. We will have to wait for other companies to do sarcosuchus, deinosuchus and titanoboa in the near future. For me they were the most awaited figures for their rarity.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 27, 2019, 07:49:38 AM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 27, 2019, 07:22:53 AM

Regardless, I would think twice about inhaling or putting bootlegs in my mouth as opposed to my more authentic models.

I couldn't agree more nonetheless. Just wanted to throw it out there that we can't rule out either one unless there's scientific research going into it and evidence shown instead of just saying it's not true.

ITdactyl

Slightly out of topic, but related to some comments posted - here's an example of a news article talking about the use of recycled medical waste in plastic toys:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2056036/chinese-police-bust-plant-recycling-medical-waste-use-plastic

This doesn't prove that the Rebor bootlegs are made of recycled medical waste - just that such dubious recycling methods DO exist.

Back on topic, I really like the transparency of Rebor's last message.  At the very least, it sets the proper expectations.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2019, 06:04:29 AM
Has anyone copied PNSO yet?

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , sadly, bootlegs of the most recent set from vitae are starting to surface in my region - but I have yet to see a blatant copies of the big PNSO figures.  Their minis have been bootlegged though.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek , I'm inclined to agree that Rebor's sentiments about the whole bootlegging ordeal (while understandably emotional) seems misleading.  I do disagree with the argument that the JPsaurs were chum for bootleggers though.  I've seen bootlegs of almost all their products in local stores and regional online stores (even the yutyrannus and dimorphodon - though I have yet to see a bootleg of the Cerberus clan).  Variants of the bootlegs of Rebor's JPsaurs just seem more prevalent because, well, as you've mentioned they sell (a lot).

Based only on personal observation (and no hard data), Rebor is nearly tied with Schleich as the company with the most bootlegged/copied dinosaur figures in my region.  At the very least, I'm glad Rebor's trying to keep afloat and combat the situation.

Shonisaurus

Honestly I had fixed badly on the message of Rebor and prehistoric crocodiles are going to make hollow vinyl. For my part, I do not have the slightest inconvenience in buying these figures, although I like PVC figures more. I understand that Rebor's reasons are sincere and noble and I understand that they have problems in the elaboration of their products, triceratops and titanoboa among others.

I understand that your projects in absolute terms can not materialize. Rebor is a company I understand that quasi-family, so I share their position, they do not have the economic potential of other companies and the realization of their products is a titanic economic cost and logically they have to prioritize expenses when choosing the material more economical for the materialization of their figures.

What I honestly would find more logical is that Rebor announced the prototypes and novelties of dinosaurs that it has been planned to do in an acceptable term and whose project is revised and finished, otherwise it is giving false hopes to the consumers when it comes to announcing a product that it is delayed indefinitely.

BRONSON

I totally get Rebor and look forward to seeing what they bring out.

Silvanusaurus

What about just massaging them gently into a foamy lather on the skin, to be soaked in gradually by the pores? That's still safe, right? ...right?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 27, 2019, 09:16:19 PM

What about just massaging them gently into a foamy lather on the skin, to be soaked in gradually by the pores? That's still safe, right? ...right?

Oh man, you're giving me ideas ;D

POP of FAN

I 100% agree with stargatedalek. Trying to be a victim of everything they are.  :-\

This statement is frankly near comically unaware.

For one, they have no one to blame but themselves for being such a target for bootleggers. If you don't want someone to copy your sculpt and sell it as "JURASSIC WORLD T-REX DINO FUN TOY CHEAP!!" than maybe don't make products that are glorified Jurassic Park IP theft in the first place? There is a reason REBOR stuff gets copied so quickly meanwhile bootleggers are 3 years behind on Safari ltd. and CollectA, and it's because REBOR products are the plastic equivalent of clickbait. There, I said it, and I stand by it.

Want proof? Their Deinonychus, which are pseudo-accurate, have yet to be widely bootlegged. Even the Yutyrannus and Dimorphodon have barely been touched in comparison to their JP models.

Secondly, tens of thousands of pounds for sculpting costs? Molds? Maybe, I genuinely wouldn't know, but there is no way REBOR is contracting their sculpts when they're all so stylistically similar and have been so from the start. I would be surprised if more than one sculptor works for them, let alone if any of the sculpts are done on a contract basis.

They are a niche company that makes collectibles, and perhaps they aren't realizing this. Bootleg companies selling cheap toy copies are going to make more money yes, but there is no reason to assume this would cut into REBORs original profits. Other than people buying them for customization, it's hard to picture serious collectors buying these bootleg products if they had access to the real article. This feels a lot more like "we see other people wrongly making more money than us, and it hurts our feelings" than "these people are stealing our business".

And its fine to be upset about that, it's a completely justified thing to have hurt feelings over, but what's not fine is to just assume those profits would have gone to you, and then act out and blame your consumers for that. Kids buying $5 REBOR bootlegs would never have bought the $100 original, and to assume otherwise is frankly petty. If they've lost business over time it's probably because they turned away more generalized collectors when they doubled down on JP theft, and the JP crowd has finally had good licensed merchandise to turn to lately.

There is no evidence for any of these bootlegs being made of discarded medical waste. Yes, bootlegging is bad, but such a boldfaced accusation with absolutely no evidence to back it up is worth calling out. If we accept lies about things we already think are bad, that sets a dangerous precedent.

As for the Titanoboa, that's both a shame as it's their only model I was really looking forward to that had any chance of releasing this decade, and a bit hard to believe. I can walk to the nearest dollar store and buy some cheap bendable plastic whatever, and it's not going to be spectacular, but it's sure not going to crack in mild heat. And lets not forget every line from Jurassic Park to Safari ltd. has done some bendy figure at one point or another, surely it can't be that hard to find what material they're made from?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: POP of FAN on February 28, 2019, 11:09:21 AM

I 100% agree with stargatedalek. Trying to be a victim of everything they are.  :-\

For one, they have no one to blame but themselves for being such a target for bootleggers. If you don't want someone to copy your sculpt and sell it as "JURASSIC WORLD T-REX DINO FUN TOY CHEAP!!" than maybe don't make products that are glorified Jurassic Park IP theft in the first place? There is a reason REBOR stuff gets copied so quickly meanwhile bootleggers are 3 years behind on Safari ltd. and CollectA, and it's because REBOR products are the plastic equivalent of clickbait. There, I said it, and I stand by it.

Want proof? Their Deinonychus, which are pseudo-accurate, have yet to be widely bootlegged. Even the Yutyrannus and Dimorphodon have barely been touched in comparison to their JP models.

Secondly, tens of thousands of pounds for sculpting costs? Molds? Maybe, I genuinely wouldn't know, but there is no way REBOR is contracting their sculpts when they're all so stylistically similar and have been so from the start. I would be surprised if more than one sculptor works for them, let alone if any of the sculpts are done on a contract basis.

They are a niche company that makes collectibles, and perhaps they aren't realizing this. Bootleg companies selling cheap toy copies are going to make more money yes, but there is no reason to assume this would cut into REBORs original profits. Other than people buying them for customization, it's hard to picture serious collectors buying these bootleg products if they had access to the real article. This feels a lot more like "we see other people wrongly making more money than us, and it hurts our feelings" than "these people are stealing our business".

And its fine to be upset about that, it's a completely justified thing to have hurt feelings over, but what's not fine is to just assume those profits would have gone to you, and then act out and blame your consumers for that. Kids buying $5 REBOR bootlegs would never have bought the $100 original, and to assume otherwise is frankly petty. If they've lost business over time it's probably because they turned away more generalized collectors when they doubled down on JP theft, and the JP crowd has finally had good licensed merchandise to turn to lately.

There is no evidence for any of these bootlegs being made of discarded medical waste. Yes, bootlegging is bad, but such a boldfaced accusation with absolutely no evidence to back it up is worth calling out. If we accept lies about things we already think are bad, that sets a dangerous precedent.

As for the Titanoboa, that's both a shame as it's their only model I was really looking forward to that had any chance of releasing this decade, and a bit hard to believe. I can walk to the nearest dollar store and buy some cheap bendable plastic whatever, and it's not going to be spectacular, but it's sure not going to crack in mild heat. And lets not forget every line from Jurassic Park to Safari ltd. has done some bendy figure at one point or another, surely it can't be that hard to find what material they're made from?

Trying? They are victims of bootleggers without trying

POP of FAN

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 28, 2019, 03:53:42 PM
Quote from: POP of FAN on February 28, 2019, 11:09:21 AM

Trying? They are victims of bootleggers without trying

'Of everything', mind you. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Keep it civil and on topic guys..

REBOR_STUDIO

Hi stargatedalek we'd love to answer some of your questions :)

QuoteFor one, they have no one to blame but themselves for being such a target for bootleggers. If you don't want someone to copy your sculpt and sell it as "JURASSIC WORLD T-REX DINO FUN TOY CHEAP!!" than maybe don't make products that are glorified Jurassic Park IP theft in the first place? There is a reason REBOR stuff gets copied so quickly meanwhile bootleggers are 3 years behind on Safari ltd. and CollectA, and it's because REBOR products are the plastic equivalent of clickbait. There, I said it, and I stand by it.

The most bootlegged REBOR products are REBOR Acrocanthosaurus and Tenontosaurus corpse which aren't related to the Jurassic Park franchise.

REBOR Yutyrannus and Dimorphodon have been bootlegged to the death, you can find these figures being sold under more than 4 different bootleg brands.

Deinoychus haven't been bootlegged because of the bendy wire design which is why we are adding bendy wires to all of our current releases.

QuoteSecondly, tens of thousands of pounds for sculpting costs? Molds? Maybe, I genuinely wouldn't know, but there is no way REBOR is contracting their sculpts when they're all so stylistically similar and have been so from the start. I would be surprised if more than one sculptor works for them, let alone if any of the sculpts are done on a contract basis.

We are telling the truth, our original comment was "We'll have to spend tens of thousands of pounds on design& developments, well constructed steel moulds, CE standard materials and complex manufacturing process to deliver high quality products, nothing comes for free, even packagings cost a fortune", we didn't say sculpting alone costs tens of thousands of pounds.

QuoteThey are a niche company that makes collectibles, and perhaps they aren't realizing this. Bootleg companies selling cheap toy copies are going to make more money yes, but there is no reason to assume this would cut into REBORs original profits. Other than people buying them for customization, it's hard to picture serious collectors buying these bootleg products if they had access to the real article. This feels a lot more like "we see other people wrongly making more money than us, and it hurts our feelings" than "these people are stealing our business".

Unfortunately things don't work this way because our real customers are distributors&retailers rather than collectors, for so many times we've tired to introduce our products to new sellers but found out that they've already got a whole line of bootleg REBOR products.

There is no $100 REBOR product, the most expensive REBOR product till this day was Lourinhanosaurus antunesi "Bony Bonnie" originally listed for $74.99 at Bigbadtoystore, 50% of the amount went to the seller, 6% went to FedEx, 30% went to the factory, 6% were paid to Eofauna for the prototype sculpt. We earn around $6 each piece and $6000 or £4500 for the whole project, not even enough to cover two of our teammates' monthly paychecks.

QuoteThere is no evidence for any of these bootlegs being made of discarded medical waste. Yes, bootlegging is bad, but such a boldfaced accusation with absolutely no evidence to back it up is worth calling out. If we accept lies about things we already think are bad, that sets a dangerous precedent.

Yes there are evidences and we've posted photos on our Facebook before. We've asked our factory why those bootleg products are so cheap and whether we can figure out a way to reduce our own costs, agents of our factory traced those cheap materials back to suppliers in Shantou, China and found out that recycled medical wastes were added into materials they produced. We even found out the price difference, CE standard PVC used by us and most European manufactures are around £1.46/Kg while materials used by bootleggers are around £0.34/Kg. Also those bootleggers use lead based industrial paints which are very toxic so I'd stay far away from those knockoff figures if I were you, no joking. It's OK if you don't like us and we total deserve everything but please don't risk it for your own heath and safety.

QuoteAs for the Titanoboa, that's both a shame as it's their only model I was really looking forward to that had any chance of releasing this decade, and a bit hard to believe. I can walk to the nearest dollar store and buy some cheap bendable plastic whatever, and it's not going to be spectacular, but it's sure not going to crack in mild heat. And lets not forget every line from Jurassic Park to Safari ltd. has done some bendy figure at one point or another, surely it can't be that hard to find what material they're made from?

It's not that easy I'm afraid, The body of Titanoboa and the bendy tail of REBOR Ankylosaurus are two completely different stories, we hope our Titanoboa can wrap around other figures so the material being used must be extremely flexible however it cannot be too soft because we also need to worry about paint applications(paints won't stay if it's too soft, just rub paints on those stretchy rubber snake toys with your fingers and you'll see how easily they come off). Each type of material must go through durability test however so far all materials we tired will eventually crack when the temperature reaches 40℃.

Please stargatedalek, we are truly sorry for all bad things we said years ago, we admit that we were arrogant and stupid back then and we beg your forgiveness, but we never lied about anything even from the very beginning, we've always been very open and more than happy to share everything we know, we just couldn't understand why you think everything came out of our months are straight lies? This is very hurtful and unfair to be honest.

Syndicate Bias

Dang I forgot to ask them if their post regarding making something bigger than Allosaurus meant anything at all

ImADinosaurRARR

Darn, "we beg your forgiveness"? Makes me feel powerful. But yeah, I think the Dino-fan can be pretty arrogant to. It comes from love and frustration from people not being able to understand why we love "the real thing" so much, but I feel that we should be more understanding to "awesomeBros" and their style. I definitely have regrets when talking to them.

But whats with the apology? It's always great when people set their differences aside to love each other, but what changed?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on February 28, 2019, 07:27:39 PM
Darn, "we beg your forgiveness"? Makes me feel powerful. But yeah, I think the Dino-fan can be pretty arrogant to. It comes from love and frustration from people not being able to understand why we love "the real thing" so much, but I feel that we should be more understanding to "awesomeBros" and their style. I definitely have regrets when talking to them.

But whats with the apology? It's always great when people set their differences aside to love each other, but what changed?

we are truly sorry for all bad things we said years ago, we admit that we were arrogant and stupid back then     

They summed it up

Minmiminime

Onwards and upwards to every success, avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO ^-^ 🎉🦖🦕 You've achieved so much already and I have no doubt you will continue to do so! Mistakes are a force of nature, adaptation is equally as inevitable. I watch with interest and look forward to your future releases. Best of luck!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: