News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

The only way i would boycott this arrogant company is if i were super duper rich.

I would then buy up all of the Rebore models i could get, and then burn them in a Bon fire

They said that they dont make any money on the models anyways, it all goes to who sells them, and they pay to just keep the brand going

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on April 01, 2015, 12:31:10 AM
The only way i would boycott this arrogant company is if i were super duper rich.

I would then buy up all of the Rebore models i could get, and then burn them in a Bon fire

The problem is that your hypothetical action potentially rewards the company. When you purchase said models (for the purpose of 'confiscating' them), you are still feeding the supply chain. And, when you burn and/or censor the items, you are also rewarding the company by generating free publicity for their future products.

Shadowknight1

Honestly, if I boycotted every company that ever did something I wasn't fond of, I wouldn't be a fan of much of anything.

That being said, considering that I would only buy a few models from REBOR in the first place means I wouldn't do much if I DID boycott them.  Honestly, the only model out so far that would be a "maybe" for me is the King T. rex due to being very JP inspired.  However, I don't have the money or space to buy every single thing they put out, so I'm getting models of my favorite dinosaurs.

EDIT: Also, after examining the Acro pic and looking back at the other greyscale previews, either this guy's patterns are so subtle that they can't be seen or we're seeing a 100% prototype, as in completely unpainted.  Hoping for the latter, myself.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gwangi

I'm not really boycotting the company, I just flat out don't want their models anymore due to this situation. This is not me denying myself of what I want. If I buy their product and put it on my shelf, this ordeal is what it would remind me of and I don't need that bad juju in my life. But they can fix it, remedy the situation here and fix their public image. This is a small community of die hard dinosaur collectors and they've come in here with nothing but disrespect. I don't see how anyone could want these models anymore! But for those who do want to boycott this or any company, I agree with the notion that we vote with our money. I don't want to pay the guy coming into this forum, my hangout spot, and insulting the members I've come to know and regard as friends. It's analogous to letting a door to door salesman into my home who then insults my wife and my home and then I still end up buying what he's peddling because "well, it is a nice product". I don't think so. Whoever types with the REBOR brand name is the voice of the company, and that company chose poorly.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 03:25:43 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 31, 2015, 03:12:26 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 02:48:29 AM
What is wrong with the Papo Apato, Tupax, Carnotaurus, and Styraco? They are modeled after Sideshow. If they are inaccurate, logic would dictate that the Sideshow after which they were modeled after would also have to be grossly inaccurate.
Papo apatosaurus has misplaced nostrils and misproportioned limbs, Sideshow doesn't, Papo tupuxuara lacks pycnofibres, the Sideshow one has pitifully few pycnofibres, but thats still better than none, both carnotaurus appear accurate to me, and I've never seen more than a glimpse of the Sideshow styracosaurus, so I don't know how they compare. You asked for an answer,  I gave an honest one, that doesn't mean I dislike Papo.

Thank you for pointing it out.  However, according to Everything Dinosaur, the Apatosaurus' nostrils reflect paleontological research and they are best
viewed when using a magnifying glass, check 2:34 of the video:
My understanding is sauropod nostrils were near the start of the snout, and not near their eyes.  I don't know of any paleontological research that supports the Papo Apatosaurus's nostril placement being correct.  Adding to what stargatedalek said about the Papo Apato and Tupux, the Papo Carnotaurus's snout is too wide, just compare it to the 2011 Carnegie Carnotaurus's snout or a Carnotaurus's skull to see the difference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnotaurus#/media/File:Carnotaurus_Skull.jpg  Actually, a great comparison is to Sideshow's which doesn't have a too wide snout:

It's especially noticeable when you look at the teeth.

The Papo Styracosaurus's neck is too long (this really bothers me about this figure), and its tail is too short.  The Sideshow Styracosaurus doesn't have these inaccuracies.  I confirmed these inaccuracies by checking what is known of these animals, but these inaccuracies were pointed out on the Papo Carnotaurus and Papo Styracosaurus Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews already.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 03:25:43 AM
Most models, regardless of company, have at least one inaccuracy. It is not fair to regard Papo dinosaurs as a whole as inaccurate. Yes, Papo are good at making movie monsters (e.g. V-rex and JP Rex), but they do make relatively accurate models when they feel like it (e.g. Styraco, Carnotaurus)
To clarify, I don't mind small unintentional inaccuracies in reconstructions when it's clear adequate research and knowledge was put in to try to make a realistic and accurate reconstruction.  If a reconstruction like this becomes outdated, I can still appreciate it too.  What I have no interest in is reconstructions which show a lack of care for it being accurate and/or deliberate alteration of the animal's physical appearance to try to make it more appealing.

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 31, 2015, 12:54:45 PM
One could argue about the accurateness. Their Yutyrannus comes to mind. One of the most expensive but also the least accurate models.

And reading some posts, it was probably them who downvoted the WS Yutyrannus and Carnegie Velociraptor, too.
What are you referring to regarding downvoting?

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 31, 2015, 01:11:42 PM
No point arguing over accurateness, unless they have at least a handful of models released in the market. Sample size is too small. Let's wait till the Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, winter variant Y-rex are released before passing judgement on a company that is still in its infancy stage. If we were this harsh on Carnegie and Battat when they released their first 3 models, they would never see the light of day....
Battat's first models were 6: Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Diplodocus, Stegosaurus, Dilophosaurus and Gallimimus.  Carnegie's first models were 7 I think: Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Apatosaurus, baby Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus and Allosaurus.  They were all good enough for their time, the Battats were even ahead of their time.  Some of the original 6 Battats are still good enough even now!  For what its worth, Rebor has said themselves they altered the appearance of their Yutyrannus, Tyrannosaurus and Utahraptor from what is known of the animals as they thought it would make them appeal to more people.

Quote from: Gwangi on March 31, 2015, 08:39:47 PM
Some food for thought. When I started up the Top 10 T. rex toy poll, Rebor was originally included. In looking at the votes, the only model Rebor voted for was their own. In a list assembled by the members here, Rebor couldn't even acknowledge the other great models on that list. They're petty enough and arrogant enough that they only wanted to boost the votes for their product, for a top 10 YouTube video of all things! Classy Rebor, real classy. They say they're passionate just like us, they're not. It's complete BS.
I also noticed Rebor only voted for their Tyrannosaurus in that poll.  The representative for Rebor has been showing a condescending attitude, even being disrespectful to a number of members of this forum, most blatantly in their absurd comments about Doug and his work.  John was frank in what he said to Rebor, I appreciate him highlighting the faults in what Rebor did.  I'm sad he was banned as he brought knowledge, friendliness and fun to this forum.  I look forward to seeing him back on here after his ban is lifted.  I hope Rebor understands life is better when one isn't condescending and disrespectful.

amargasaurus cazaui

I vote with my wallet. For me its alot like Gwangi said....they came in my percieved home and insulted someone I place value on (Doug Watson) I choose not to reward them for this action. I would not enjoy seeing their products or models on my shelf knowing this went unsolved. I am not depriving myself of anything...I was not buying their products before due to lack of interest. Now I have to say I am not considering their products because of their crude method of dealing with my friends. I am not trying to bankrupt them, and I could care less if they sell a busload of figures and become a massive force in the market. For me it is the principle...the proud factor in owning things. I realize my choice may have nill effect on them, I am not doing it for them...it is selfish and doing it for me...and because i feel it is right. At the end of the day I would rather have a group of Safari models their sculptor cared enough to hand sign for me, than a shelf full of their supposed high end museum level figures, sorry. Dr Admin said it pretty well, for me its a choice of conscience .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shadowknight1

All I ask is not to be condemned for continuing to purchase their products even after this.  I already preordered the Utahraptor.  And since it's a fellow Oklahoma native and one of my favorite theropods, I can't possibly pass up the only Acrocanthosaurus model we're getting this year.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 01, 2015, 03:20:15 AM
All I ask is not to be condemned for continuing to purchase their products even after this.  I already preordered the Utahraptor.  And since it's a fellow Oklahoma native and one of my favorite theropods, I can't possibly pass up the only Acrocanthosaurus model we're getting this year.

This is a difficult choice, considering how limited the 'lifelike' dinosaur market already is (Papo released 2 models this year). For all practical purposes, we only have Papo and REBOR. Sideshow is way outside my budget. I'm a fan of (affordable) photorealistic toys and have always gravitated towards companies like NECA, Mcfarlane, Play Arts Kai etc. When I was younger, I was drawn to Tyco's Dino Riders because of the attention to detail and taxidermy eyes. I have a decent size collection of Safaris, Carnegies, CollectAs and Schleichs, but it is the 'lifelike' models that I admire the most (e.g. Postosuchus, Tylosaurus, Dunkleosteus).

laticauda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 01, 2015, 02:36:59 AM
I vote with my wallet. For me its alot like Gwangi said....they came in my percieved home and insulted someone I place value on (Doug Watson) I choose not to reward them for this action. I would not enjoy seeing their products or models on my shelf knowing this went unsolved. I am not depriving myself of anything...I was not buying their products before due to lack of interest. Now I have to say I am not considering their products because of their crude method of dealing with my friends. I am not trying to bankrupt them, and I could care less if they sell a busload of figures and become a massive force in the market. For me it is the principle...the proud factor in owning things. I realize my choice may have nill effect on them, I am not doing it for them...it is selfish and doing it for me...and because i feel it is right. At the end of the day I would rather have a group of Safari models their sculptor cared enough to hand sign for me, than a shelf full of their supposed high end museum level figures, sorry. Dr Admin said it pretty well, for me its a choice of conscience .

If a spokesman from Rebor came onto the forum and apologised, would it change anything?  Has the damaged been done, or can forgivness prevail.  Is it possible, that the Rebor Rep who made those comments can learn from their mistake and make a truly heart felt apology, or would the rep be the same person they were before, but just say it to make the company look better and win back some good will?

I only ask this because, I am sure we have all delt with*Ahem* difficult people, to put it nicely.  I get the feeling that the Rebor guy had no idea what they were talking about outside their little corner of the toy and paleontolgical world. The person had no idea how passionately we look after each other in this community.  I know this, and I am a realtive newbe here.  I know there are many people every day who make the same ignorant descisions in the world. In some cases, depending upon the response, you forgive, or sometimes you continue to hold a grudge.  I would like to take, what some people say is the high road, but I completly understand the principle and conscience decesions that have been stated. 

I know I am rambling, but I truly would like to forgive and forget, there is enough anger in the world. I think there products have looked nice photographed, and would love nothing more than to discuss the poses and color.  Its just a shame that the incident has ruined what is usually fun conversation!

laticauda

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 01, 2015, 03:32:38 AM

This is a difficult choice, considering how limited the 'lifelike' dinosaur market already is (Papo released 2 models this year). For all practical purposes, we only have Papo and REBOR. Sideshow is way outside my budget. I'm a fan of (affordable) photorealistic toys and have always gravitated towards companies like NECA, Mcfarlane, Play Arts Kai etc. When I was younger, I was drawn to Tyco's Dino Riders because of the attention to detail and taxidermy eyes. I have a decent size collection of Safari, Carnegies, CollectAs and Schleichs, but it is the 'lifelike' models that I admire the most (e.g. Postosuchus, Tylosaurus, Dunkleosteus).
Wouldn't Mcfarlane dinosaurus be awesome!!  My wife and I have quite a collection of toys, and she has quite the walking dead collection.  A freind of mine also has one of the old Mcfarlane Dragons.  They make some good toys. 

Arul

what best for now is apologizing each other, please stop talking the negative side trust me it will never over

tanystropheus

Quote from: laticauda on April 01, 2015, 03:42:26 AM

This is a difficult choice, considering how limited the 'lifelike' dinosaur market already is (Papo released 2 models this year). For all practical purposes, we only have Papo and REBOR. Sideshow is way outside my budget. I'm a fan of (affordable) photorealistic toys and have always gravitated towards companies like NECA, Mcfarlane, Play Arts Kai etc. When I was younger, I was drawn to Tyco's Dino Riders because of the attention to detail and taxidermy eyes. I have a decent size collection of Safari, Carnegies, CollectAs and Schleichs, but it is the 'lifelike' models that I admire the most (e.g. Postosuchus, Tylosaurus, Dunkleosteus).
Wouldn't Mcfarlane dinosaurus be awesome!!  My wife and I have quite a collection of toys, and she has quite the walking dead collection.  A freind of mine also has one of the old Mcfarlane Dragons.  They make some good toys.

They've done a spectacular job on the Walking Dead toys! I checked out a review of the Governor's room building set and found it impressive, especially the attention to subtle details. Their long-running Dragons series gives the impression that they could possibly handle dinosaurs - I'm not sure if the thought ever crossed their minds. I have some of the toys from the Movie Maniacs line.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 01, 2015, 03:56:48 AM
They've done a spectacular job on the Walking Dead toys! I checked out a review of the Governor's room building set and found it impressive, especially the attention to subtle details. Their long-running Dragons series gives the impression that they could possibly handle dinosaurs - I'm not sure if the thought ever crossed their minds. I have some of the toys from the Movie Maniacs line.
You'd think that being able to do one of those well would mean both could be done well, but look at Papo.  Wonderful dinosaurs that look very realistic, if inaccurate, but their dragons are...well...not to put too fine a point on it, cartoonish.  At least the few I've seen.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 01, 2015, 04:21:53 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 01, 2015, 03:56:48 AM
You'd think that being able to do one of those well would mean both could be done well, but look at Papo.  Wonderful dinosaurs that look very realistic, if inaccurate, but their dragons are...well...not to put too fine a point on it, cartoonish.  At least the few I've seen.

:)) You make a solid point. Sometimes companies really do surprise me. I never expected Papo to make gorgeous feathers on their Archaeo, especially after the naked Oviraptor...I would imagine that NECA would be better qualified than Mcfarlane at tackling dinosaurs -NECA's portfolio seems a bit more diverse than Mcfarlane...but we will never truly know for sure unless these companies venture into dinosaur territory.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: laticauda on April 01, 2015, 03:42:26 AM

Just to toss in some info I have on this as I was around on the Spawn.com forums way back when.  Todd did mention the possibility of doing dinosaurs after the Dragons line took off ( I had em' all at one point), said his son loved them and asked him if he could do any. So it was on the table. Then the market started changing and in house lines weren't selling enough to keep them going. So Todd basically had to stop making anything that wasn't a proven license.  David Silva actually made several of the Dragon figures and I imagine if a dinosaur line had ended up being a reality would have been in on it. Fortunately he has continued to produce both dragon and dinosaur model kits so we have some idea what a Mcfarlane dinosaur line would have been like.

TJ_Terrorsaur

Same here.  I've stopped buying Schleich because they look to cartoony, they just stand out like a sore thumb against my collection now. Maybe I will buy the kentrosaurus maybe, but because I've never come across another since I started collecting again. Papo was my favorite for the way they designed 'their' dinosaurs, until Rebor came along....sure they're not 100% accurate but who is? Dinosaurs are ever changing and always will be. Who knows 10 years from now we could find out T-Rex had a frill or something like a Cockatoo, or had a venomous bite. I will still buy from Rebor until they say they're anti-LGBT then that's when they'll use my loyalty. Otherwise just because they pushed back and bared their teeth when they had enough doesn't mean I shouldn't buy their products nor should they lose my loyalty.   
"They pushed me and they pushed me, but when I pushed back they cry evil"-????

Now with that said....I love that they've finished the puzzle for their Acro, I won't keep his name Hercules though. ;) I will probably look up information on the Acro and name him accordingly, or just call him Herc. Though I will admit "Zero to Hero" is stuck in my head now. The Acrocathosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs, I learned about it from and old Dinosaur PC game, and in a dinosaur coloring/drawing book it was the one I asked my mom to make prints of so I could keep coloring and drawing it. I'm eagerly awaiting for May to see this guy in color and see the base they've been talking so much about. :D

Arul

TJ_Terrorsaur

Not really my friend, just 30 days. ;) Just 1 month. We can do it and for our patience we will get to see that gorgeous Acro in all of his roaring glory!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ARUL on April 01, 2015, 06:33:29 AM
May ? What a long time  :(

lol...sorry May just seems like tomorrow to me. never enough time it seems.   :)

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on April 01, 2015, 05:51:46 AM

Same here.  I've stopped buying Schleich because they look to cartoony, they just stand out like a sore thumb against my collection now. Maybe I will buy the kentrosaurus maybe, but because I've never come across another since I started collecting again. Papo was my favorite for the way they designed 'their' dinosaurs, until Rebor came along....sure they're not 100% accurate but who is? Dinosaurs are ever changing and always will be. Who knows 10 years from now we could find out T-Rex had a frill or something like a Cockatoo, or had a venomous bite. I will still buy from Rebor until they say they're anti-LGBT then that's when they'll use my loyalty. Otherwise just because they pushed back and bared their teeth when they had enough doesn't mean I shouldn't buy their products nor should they lose my loyalty.   
"They pushed me and they pushed me, but when I pushed back they cry evil"-????

Now with that said....I love that they've finished the puzzle for their Acro, I won't keep his name Hercules though. ;) I will probably look up information on the Acro and name him accordingly, or just call him Herc. Though I will admit "Zero to Hero" is stuck in my head now. The Acrocathosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs, I learned about it from and old Dinosaur PC game, and in a dinosaur coloring/drawing book it was the one I asked my mom to make prints of so I could keep coloring and drawing it. I'm eagerly awaiting for May to see this guy in color and see the base they've been talking so much about. :D

you had to go there..now i hear it! lol

also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ruotaD4EPU

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 01, 2015, 07:13:59 AM
you had to go there..now i hear it! lol

also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ruotaD4EPU

Hahahaha you bet I did. ;) I might just use it if I do a video review.

Now I 'call' your theme and add this an an upper. I wonder if Rebor will "go the distance" and add another Acro for this one. ;) I shall call her Meg!
All playfulness aside though it'd be really cool if they made Acro's competing carnivore 'friend' and dubbed him Hades. Y'know just sayin'.
OH or what if in the future we got two battling carnivores! ;D That would be epic!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: