News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I understand that in the case of the Rebor sarcosuchus and deinosuchus (perhaps the best prehistoric crocodiles made so far) they have been canceled for economic reasons and not for fear of industrial piracy. The tragic life and economic problem of the coronavirus pandemic has taken its toll even on brands of unsurpassed prestige and quality such as Rebor, and that may be one of the causes.

What is also true is that many parents find it cheaper to buy imitations of Rebor dinosaurs, that is, contraband figures than the original Rebor figures without realizing that these figures may be made of toxic material (high amounts of lead) that can endanger the health of the people for which reason they buy these figures. In short and summarizing and leaving the subject, buying contraband figures does a disservice to traditional toy dinosaur brands and jeopardizes the jobs and business stability of the best toy and collecting brands (in this Rebor case) that exist in the market.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 10, 2020, 10:39:25 PM
What is also true is that many parents find it cheaper to buy imitations of Rebor dinosaurs

What angers me more is that Rebor's dinosaurs were never meant to be played with in the first place, the same goes for Papo models in my opinion. Still, tons of 6-year-olds feel like playing with them alongside the likes of Mattel and Safari Ltd. The latter two, though, were meant for bashing against one another and Wal-Mart chinasaurs. When the bootleggers remake it, the kids won't know the difference and the parents will be all the more willing to get the knockoffs.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Ceratosaurus

While I definitely don't agree with selling knockoff figures there's the odd time something positive comes out of the situation. Maybe someone with a decent amount of talent gets ahold of the upcoming Papo Giga and turns it into something worth buying. I think my adversity to knockoffs isn't necessarily based on the morality of it but simply because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and wouldn't settle for the lower standard.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Martwad

I don't fully believe that Rebor has cancelled these models because bootleggers have gotten hold of them.  If bootleggers have acquired the 3D model or mold, then Rebor choosing not to produce these figures does not change that.  On this logic, they are just doing the R&D for the bootleggers and allowing them to make all the profit.  There should be much better laws to protect the creative interest of these corporations, but until then, Rebor should at least try to sell their products as collectibles.  At least get something from their work instead of just rolling over for the counterfeiters.

Over9K

Quote from: Martwad on April 11, 2020, 12:34:26 AM
I don't fully believe that Rebor has cancelled these models because bootleggers have gotten hold of them.  If bootleggers have acquired the 3D model or mold, then Rebor choosing not to produce these figures does not change that.  On this logic, they are just doing the R&D for the bootleggers and allowing them to make all the profit.  There should be much better laws to protect the creative interest of these corporations, but until then, Rebor should at least try to sell their products as collectibles.  At least get something from their work instead of just rolling over for the counterfeiters.

Hahaha... "China" and "Laws"... that's funny...

stargatedalek

Quote from: Over9K on April 11, 2020, 03:09:18 PM

The laws don't have to impact China. Amazon sells these things and they should be held accountable too. They aren't a small business ordering things from Alibaba and selling them at a small markup, they have the resources to do better and should be held to higher expectations.

PumperKrickel

Rebor should at least try to sell their products as collectibles.  At least get something from their work instead of just rolling over for the counterfeiters.

Maybe part of the reason why they decided not to do that can be found in the thread about knock-off figures. There´s a considerable amount of people who have no moral qualms about buying bootlegged figures. Usually the original figures are on the market for a while before they are copied, which gives the eager collector little choice but to buy the original. If however the copy is available at the same time for a much lower price, a huge amount of people will buy the copy. Mass-producing figures costs a lot of money and if there is cause for uncertainty on whether or not the money can be earned back, it would be a bad business decision to take that risk.

This isn´t Rebor´s fault for creating movie monsters. This is everyone´s fault who buys bootlegs instead of original figures.

stargatedalek

Quote from: PumperKrickel on April 11, 2020, 04:42:32 PMThis isn´t Rebor´s fault for creating movie monsters. This is everyone´s fault who buys bootlegs instead of original figures.
If every single dinosaur toy/figure collector bought the same bootleg at the prices they charge for them it wouldn't even fund that company for a month.

They price these things as low as they can and release them en-mass as rapidly as possible, quantity over quality. Why take a chance by charging more and get outdone by one another? This means they care about one market and one market only, parents who don't even understand that something besides designer clothes can be a bootleg.

PumperKrickel

Which is why I wrote:
Quote from: PumperKrickel on April 11, 2020, 04:42:32 PM
This is everyone´s fault who buys bootlegs instead of original figures.

I didn´t mean to single out the dedicated collectors, but we are certainly a part of the problem. Possibly even the worst one, because we know the difference and have no excuse.

Martwad

It would be nice if China would create counterfeit laws, but we don't need to wait for that.  Countries should create laws, with harsh penalties, for their own businesses importing in counterfeit products.  This would also likely be what would cause China to make their own anti-piracy laws.  If the lost the market for exporting counterfeit goods, it would force them create a more legitimate trading market.

Martwad

Mass-producing figures costs a lot of money and if there is cause for uncertainty on whether or not the money can be earned back, it would be a bad business decision to take that risk.

It's an even worse business decision to take on all the cost of developing and producing new products, and then not sell said products because of a bootleg market on those products.  That is purely taking on all of the cost and allowing someone else to reap the profits.

Martwad

Quote from: PumperKrickel on April 11, 2020, 07:33:21 PM
Which is why I wrote:
This is everyone´s fault who buys bootlegs instead of original figures.

I didn´t mean to single out the dedicated collectors, but we are certainly a part of the problem. Possibly even the worst one, because we know the difference and have no excuse.

This, I fully agree with.  We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard as well.

Syndicate Bias

Uhhh what? How am I contributing to bootlegs? 

Loon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 11, 2020, 08:01:50 PM
Same way if you buy any product. Supply and demand and all that. Unless you've never bought a bootleg.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Loon on April 11, 2020, 08:37:47 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 11, 2020, 08:01:50 PM
Same way if you buy any product. Supply and demand and all that. Unless you've never bought a bootleg.

Nah, too particular to have waste on my shelves. Only a reposed Papo Giga bootleg would work.

SidB

Quote from: Martwad on April 11, 2020, 07:35:59 PM

It would be nice if China would create counterfeit laws, but we don't need to wait for that.  Countries should create laws, with harsh penalties, for their own businesses importing in counterfeit products.  This would also likely be what would cause China to make their own anti-piracy laws.  If the lost the market for exporting counterfeit goods, it would force them create a more legitimate trading market.
The wild west is alive and well, at least commercially, only this time in the far east.

Paleo & Fish Collector

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 08, 2020, 08:13:30 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 08, 2020, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: Loon on February 07, 2020, 05:00:27 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 07, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
It might sound like I'm trolling, but I'm really not. This is legitimately my favorite Rebor product:

This makes me wonder why nobody has made a Meganeura yet.

Quote from: Faelrin on February 07, 2020, 05:41:14 PM
avatar_Loon @Loon Kaiyodo did but I think that's it. I agree that there should be more figures of it though.

Everybody's been too busy making the same dozen or so dinosaurs.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here.  It's basically a giant dragonfly and you can use any model to stand in for it. If you have a big Dragonfly in your line already then I guess they figure folks will use that.  Safari used to have a really nice one.

I actually love insects and would like someone to produce a really big/1:1 Meganeura.

I'd normally tend to agree concerning other bugs, but the giant dragonflies of yesterday have a noticeably different head/face/eye structure. A modern dragonfly does not have the same "look" in that regard.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Skorpio V. on April 10, 2020, 11:47:27 PM
What is also true is that many parents find it cheaper to buy imitations of Rebor dinosaurs

What angers me more is that Rebor's dinosaurs were never meant to be played with in the first place, the same goes for Papo models in my opinion. Still, tons of 6-year-olds feel like playing with them alongside the likes of Mattel and Safari Ltd. The latter two, though, were meant for bashing against one another and Wal-Mart chinasaurs.

I want to reply to the parts I bolded specifically because I am baffled ;D

Papos are totally "meant for bashing against each other". Otherwise they wouldn't market them as kids toys and they would be made from a less durable material. Why exactly wouldn't you want a child playing with them in your opinion?

Papos are deliberately designed to look like Jurassic Park/World for mass appeal. They are hitting a sweet spot somewhere between kids, JP/W fans and collectors. Papo would never give up that niche they created in favor of some elitist adult dinosaur fans. In fact, this would only create more competition for Rebor as Papo is the bigger company with a bigger reach.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 13, 2020, 12:04:27 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on April 10, 2020, 11:47:27 PM

What angers me more is that Rebor's dinosaurs were never meant to be played with in the first place, the same goes for Papo models in my opinion. Still, tons of 6-year-olds feel like playing with them alongside the likes of Mattel and Safari Ltd. The latter two, though, were meant for bashing against one another and Wal-Mart chinasaurs.

I want to reply to the parts I bolded specifically because I am baffled ;D

Papos are totally "meant for bashing against each other". Otherwise they wouldn't market them as kids toys and they would be made from a less durable material. Why exactly wouldn't you want a child playing with them in your opinion?

Papos are deliberately designed to look like Jurassic Park/World for mass appeal. They are hitting a sweet spot somewhere between kids, JP/W fans and collectors. Papo would never give up that niche they created in favor of some elitist adult dinosaur fans. In fact, this would only create more competition for Rebor as Papo is the bigger company with a bigger reach.

Wow, I wish they carried Safari figures in the bins with the chinasaurs, Mattel creatures, and other cheap junk at my Walmart! 😂
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Same here  Safari dinosaurs in the wild is a complete fantasy. Only Schleich, Mattel, chinasaurs and knock offs here. Including a knock off the Rebor "Yutyrannus" which I saw in one last year. To bring this slightly on topic. That was the first time i felt sorry for Rebor. The cheek of his bootleggers.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: