News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

They didn't simply say "museum class", they also make a lot less subjective claims such as "based on latest research".

"Don't like don't buy" is a cop-out to avoid discussing when anything has issues. Some people thought that REBOR did care about accuracy (as their advertising claims) and that REBOR would make strides to improve their products accuracy if they were made aware. Other people took personal offense to the comments not only by REBOR themselves but of a few select people who's, "support", of REBOR extended into other areas of the forum where they would incorrectly demand that REBOR was accurate and incessantly nag at everyone about such. On a more optimistic note I bet the nagging wish in the back of everyone's mind is that perhaps REBOR can change their ways and become more appreciative of the great animals (not monsters) they are trying to represent, as well as their would be customers and their contemporaries in the market. There are plenty of reasons why people who have no plans on buying REBOR would still check the REBOR threads.

tanystropheus

Here is a piece of a conversation stream from REBOR Facebook. It might give some insight regarding the thought process.

I think I may finally understand the whole "Museum Class" thing. It doesn't necessarily mean 100% accurate reconstructions of dinosaurs. It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared, somewhat like a museum diorama of dinosaurs. Not always totally accurate, but a great piece of art that anyone would admire.
Like · Comment · Share · 1

REBOR You've got the idea, "museum class" doesn't equal to "museum accurate", the word "class" is more like "taste" in this case
View 1 more reply

REBOR those, are the "eyebrows" made of flesh, skins and scales, definitely not parts of the skull, Hercules will look less aggressive without them

Dobber

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 07, 2015, 10:59:08 PM
They didn't simply say "museum class", they also make a lot less subjective claims such as "based on latest research".

"Don't like don't buy" is a cop-out to avoid discussing when anything has issues. Some people thought that REBOR did care about accuracy (as their advertising claims) and that REBOR would make strides to improve their products accuracy if they were made aware. Other people took personal offense to the comments not only by REBOR themselves but of a few select people who's, "support", of REBOR extended into other areas of the forum where they would incorrectly demand that REBOR was accurate and incessantly nag at everyone about such. On a more optimistic note I bet the nagging wish in the back of everyone's mind is that perhaps REBOR can change their ways and become more appreciative of the great animals (not monsters) they are trying to represent, as well as their would be customers and their contemporaries in the market. There are plenty of reasons why people who have no plans on buying REBOR would still check the REBOR threads.

I understand where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree with all that you are saying. Though, as you say there are/were supporters that made comments in other threads and where a bit over the top...totally agree.....however.....the same can be said from the other side of that coin towards the REBOR haters. In a completely unrelated thread for another company someone brought up how they were sick of the unmentionable company and then he and several others went on a tangent making fun of them. I don't disagree with you but it seems a lot of you ignore how REBOR was treated practically from day one...first because of the museum class thing and then so on. I get that we all have things that just bug us and for some of you it seems to be the museum class thing..I personally don't agree with it either....but at what point is enough, enough? Just it seems several users don't care about what was said to REBOR, but only pay attention to what REBOR said in return.

I asked the question why visit the REBOR threads if they aren't your cup of tea....(don't mean you specifically stargate just in general) and of course an individual is allowed to view whatever they want, and comment as many times as they want. What I was getting at is why subject oneself to something you know will just piss you off and then when the person feals the need to complain about the same thing....again. What good will come of it? If you were the artist or company or seller wouldn't that start to get on your nerves too? I know it would mine. Just food for thought as there just seems to be a severe lack of objectivity when it comes to REBOR around here.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Quote from: bruno on April 07, 2015, 10:36:08 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Rebor but am a bit amazed how model dinosaurs can stir so much heated debate, I don't agree with people getting banned when some comments they received seemed pretty rude to, seemed bias going on to me.

Did you actually read what REBOR said about CollectA, Safari, and Doug Watson, none of whom had any participation in this thread, let alone interaction with REBOR?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

bruno

couldn't agree more with Chris it does seem some people seem very quick to slag rebor in this forum, buy it or not is not a cop out, it's a choice.If you don't like what they say or what they make don't buy what they sell, that's probably the biggest protest you can make if it bothers you that much. But there's plenty that have and will continue to do so.
That's not to say I've been 100% happy with them, they have got things wrong but are new so hopefully will see where and put certain things right. Either way I doubt I'll be tossing toys out the pram over it .

bruno

No not read all the comments too many

tyrantqueen

Quote from: bruno on April 08, 2015, 01:03:05 AM
couldn't agree more with Chris it does seem some people seem very quick to slag rebor in this forum, buy it or not is not a cop out, it's a choice.If you don't like what they say or what they make don't buy what they sell, that's probably the biggest protest you can make if it bothers you that much. But there's plenty that have and will continue to do so.
That's not to say I've been 100% happy with them, they have got things wrong but are new so hopefully will see where and put certain things right. Either way I doubt I'll be tossing toys out the pram over it .
I'm getting deja vu here.

DinoToyForum

AT least three members banned in this thread and you're still bickering? Let it go now guys, please. Take heed, for I'm making this request as a moderator and to ignore this warning is to break forum rule 4. Thanks.

Shadowknight1

As am I, tyrantqueen.  Things have been civil for a few pages now, we don't need to keep dragging up the topics.

Something I noticed about the Acro.  Unlike the previous four dinosaurs(not counting Jolly), which were all depicted mid-stride, Hercules seems to be standing, though slightly lowered to the ground.  I think it's meant to be a pose for protecting its dinner.

As for sauropods, I think Armargasaurus would fit their style nicely.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dobber

Quote from: suspsy on April 08, 2015, 01:01:31 AM
Quote from: bruno on April 07, 2015, 10:36:08 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Rebor but am a bit amazed how model dinosaurs can stir so much heated debate, I don't agree with people getting banned when some comments they received seemed pretty rude to, seemed bias going on to me.

Did you actually read what REBOR said about CollectA, Safari, and Doug Watson, none of whom had any participation in this thread, let alone interaction with REBOR?

That is a good point Suspy, however, I don't think REBOR is the one who brings up the other company/person. Other people usually do, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Doesn't mean REBOR should disparage them either, though.

Chris

Sorry mod, several posts happened while I was typing.  Didn't think I was causing problems. Apologies
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: ARUL on April 07, 2015, 02:51:10 AM
sauropod ? amargasaurus  :)
Quote from: sauroid on April 07, 2015, 05:23:46 AM
Rebor being a young company, i'm betting on the three most popular/iconic sauropods, Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus and Diplodocus. (tho they might surprise with an Amargasaurus or Argentinosaurus)

Forgive me for my dinosaur knowledge noobness but Amergasaurus is the one with the spines yes? If so that'd be really cool to see! I also wouldn't mind seeing the heavy titanosaurs made by Rebor or even Papo! :D

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 07, 2015, 09:09:12 AM
I would love to have an ultra-detailed Diplodocus or a Brachio that is complementary to the Papo Brachio. Let's hope they surprise us, instead...those choices are even better.

Which one is Diplodocus again? ^^;
OOOH I was thinking the same thing! :D That'd be really neat, though I imagine it would be a heavy figure, considering how heavy the King-Rex is.

amargasaurus cazaui

Thinking Rebor could really jump into the pool with a splash doing a Brontosaurus....imagine !!! I am sure the other companies will be rushing to get one out the door so, why not
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 08, 2015, 03:27:09 AM
Thinking Rebor could really jump into the pool with a splash doing a Brontosaurus....imagine !!! I am sure the other companies will be rushing to get one out the door so, why not

That would be interesting if REBOR could design the world's first non-retro Brontosaurus model. What a great opportunity! It would be well appreciated by collectors and casuals.

I haven't followed the Bronto coverage extensively--Is there enough skeletal material to make a proper reconstruction in model form?

darth daniel

At some point they mentioned a 1 meter long sauropod figure. If they stick to 1:35, there are not so many species which would even roughly fit this size specification. I guess it´s either an Argentinosaurus or Supersaurus; both would be cool choices.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 08, 2015, 03:42:06 AM

That would be interesting if REBOR could design the world's first non-retro Brontosaurus model. What a great opportunity! It would be well appreciated by collectors and casuals.

I haven't followed the Bronto coverage extensively--Is there enough skeletal material to make a proper reconstruction in model form?

There are two known skeletons of Brontosaurus excelsus. The one mounted at the Peabody Museum would be the best bet for basing a model on. The other is also housed at the Peabody but is not on display. Some mounted skeletons are Brontosaurus, but they're Brontosaurus parvus, also known as Elosaurus, so they're not Brontosaurus classic.

All other mounted skeletons are Apatosaurus or of questionable identity.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shadowknight1

Quote from: darth daniel on April 08, 2015, 07:59:06 AM
At some point they mentioned a 1 meter long sauropod figure. If they stick to 1:35, there are not so many species which would even roughly fit this size specification. I guess it´s either an Argentinosaurus or Supersaurus; both would be cool choices.
They definitely seem to be sticking to 1:35 for their main line.  Makes me think we're unlikely to see some of the other dromaeosaurs like Deinonychus or Velociraptor.  They'd be small figures considering.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 08, 2015, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 08, 2015, 03:42:06 AM

There are two known skeletons of Brontosaurus excelsus. The one mounted at the Peabody Museum would be the best bet for basing a model on. The other is also housed at the Peabody but is not on display. Some mounted skeletons are Brontosaurus, but they're Brontosaurus parvus, also known as Elosaurus, so they're not Brontosaurus classic.

All other mounted skeletons are Apatosaurus or of questionable identity.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.
It seems like quite a few dinosaurs were born out of the controversy, including the previously known Camarasaurus, as well as the new sauropod genus, Galeamopus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 09, 2015, 12:44:56 AM
Quote from: darth daniel on April 08, 2015, 07:59:06 AM
They definitely seem to be sticking to 1:35 for their main line.  Makes me think we're unlikely to see some of the other dromaeosaurs like Deinonychus or Velociraptor.  They'd be small figures considering.

REBOR will probably release them as smaller $19 models or $29-39 diorama family sets. I believe the (hypothetical?) RBR Club Selection 'Awesomebro' features a chimeric dinosaur with Velociraptor or Deinonychus feet. Awesomebro might be a hint of the dinosaurs that are currently in the pipeline.

MechaKnifehead

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 07, 2015, 11:38:17 PM
Here is a piece of a conversation stream from REBOR Facebook. It might give some insight regarding the thought process.

I think I may finally understand the whole "Museum Class" thing. It doesn't necessarily mean 100% accurate reconstructions of dinosaurs. It means artistic interpretations of dinosaurs as they might have appeared, somewhat like a museum diorama of dinosaurs. Not always totally accurate, but a great piece of art that anyone would admire.

REBOR You've got the idea, "museum class" doesn't equal to "museum accurate", the word "class" is more like "taste" in this case
View 1 more reply

REBOR those, are the "eyebrows" made of flesh, skins and scales, definitely not parts of the skull, Hercules will look less aggressive without them

Now this shouldn't have been debated as much as it has been. I swear the nit picking around here is always cranked up to 10.  It's an artist's interpretation of a dinosaur.  They're making no real claim to accuracy.  And if they were, they obviously aren't anymore.  Time...  To let it...  Goooooooo.

Now the last part is the one that I have a real issue with.  Clearly, thanks to the full body impression of full grown adult Acrocanthosaurus that was discovered, we have a 100% accurate picture of what this animal's skin, fat, and other fleshy protrusions looked like.  We can say WITHOUT A DOUBT that it didn't look like THAT.  So why bother, Rebor? 

DinoToyForum

Quote from: MechaKnifehead on April 09, 2015, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 07, 2015, 11:38:17 PM

View 1 more reply

Now this shouldn't have been debated as much as it has been. I swear the nit picking around here is always cranked up to 10.  It's an artist's interpretation of a dinosaur.  They're making no real claim to accuracy.  And if they were, they obviously aren't anymore.  Time...  To let it...  Goooooooo.

Now the last part is the one that I have a real issue with.  Clearly, thanks to the full body impression of full grown adult Acrocanthosaurus that was discovered, we have a 100% accurate picture of what this animal's skin, fat, and other fleshy protrusions looked like.  We can say WITHOUT A DOUBT that it didn't look like THAT.  So why bother, Rebor?

"Time...  To let it...  Goooooooo." This member should have taken his own advice and not posted more unproductive accusations and provocative sarcasm. It was over, we were back on topic, and there was simply no need to dredge it up. A few posts back I warned: "Let it go now guys, please. Take heed, for I'm making this request as a moderator and to ignore this warning is to break forum rule 4." For this reason I'm regretfully banning this member for 30 days.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: