News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

But I will..because I value aesthetics  >:D
The funny thing about REBOR is that they have the potential to dominate the market. If REBOR wanted they could easily make an accurate Pelecanimimus donned in glorious plumage. Collectors would go berserk!
Also, wait till you see the updated Yutyrannus  ;)

REBOR_STUDIO

Here is a message to people who consider scientific accuracy is everything: next time when you watch Starwars, be sure to mute the sound whenever there is a space scene, because there is no air molecule in space hence sound wave cannot be conducted, to be able to hear anything would be screamingly, brutally wrong, completely unacceptable and will shake the very foundation of science, people who enjoy the sound effects of laser shooting and explosion should be considered as ignorant and backward, and it is necessary to educate these people to ensure that they can catch up with the modern age.

Pretentioustan is a wonderful place :)

Tallin

Rebor, I find your products beautifully made and some of them, especially the Ceratosaurus, are most certainly on my to buy list when the leg warping issue is resolved. I think you certainly have the potential to dominate the market for these models.

However, I also think it is understandable for people to be disappointed at a lack of accuracy in these animals. After all, this is what they were; living breathing animals, and to many, the investment in these models and artworks is to pay homage to the incredible creatures that roamed our planet so long ago. I can understand why many may be unhappy with reconstructions that purposefully askew what we know to be very probable if not certain about these animals in favour of mass media attention and spectacle cinema appeal, which draws away from what these animals were really like. And just because other films or media pander to spectacle (cough star wars cough) doesn't mean some of us cannot strive to achieve something different.

At the same time, a company has every right to make their own intellectual property how they see fit, so harping on about previously discussed issues will probably make no difference. I also think your models are beautifully designed, and can see the care and enthusiasm that has gone into them, even with the warping problems here and there. I'm just trying to speak from both sides of the fence, as it were. I very much look forward to seeing how your products 'evolve'. :)

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 09, 2015, 11:50:44 PM
Here is a message to people who consider scientific accuracy is everything: next time when you watch Starwars, be sure to mute the sound whenever there is a space scene, because there is no air molecule in space hence sound wave cannot be conducted, to be able to hear anything would be screamingly, brutally wrong, completely unacceptable and will shake the very foundation of science, people who enjoy the sound effects of laser shooting and explosion should be considered as ignorant and backward, and it is necessary to educate these people to ensure that they can catch up with the modern age.

Except Star Wars has never remotely claimed to depict space travel realistically. Your company, however, has made a deliberate, active point of advertising its products as being of "museum quality" when in fact they are not. Your comparison is therefore invalid.

Also, as Tallin correctly pointed out, just because "A" isn't making any effort to achieve something doesn't mean that it's perfectly fine for "B" not to try either.

I have to say, I find it puzzling and saddening how REBOR seemingly looks upon scientific accuracy with a measure of disdain, as though it would somehow harm sales to depict a fully feathered Yutyrannus or a T. rex that didn't look just like the one from Jurassic Park. On the contrary, a greater attention to accuracy would most likely increase sales.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Tyrannosauron

Here we have the perfect example of why I won't buy any of Rebor's products even though I really, really like their models.

I don't particularly care about accuracy in dinosaur toys. All dinosaur reconstructions are inaccurate; this is the inescapable consequence of non-avian dinosaurs having gone extinct 65 million years before we could observe any of them. I do care about being treated with respect and about seeing others in my position treated with respect. The message that I consistently get while reading the statements made by Rebor's representatives is that they respect their customers less than they do themselves.

Sometimes the flak thrown in Rebor's direction is unfair and disrespectfully presented. Sometime it isn't. Rebor's representative's response in every case is a variation on the same theme: "it's your problem and we don't need you if you can't fix it yourself." Responsibility always falls to the customer and never to the company.

There isn't even an attempt at the sort of PR-friendly lip service that you might get out of, say, Hasbro. I haven't contacted Hasbro about their Jurassic World line, which I seriously dislike, but if I did I can imagine what their representative's respone would be: "We'll look into that," or "We'll take that into consideration," or "We're working on it." I imagine that because those are the responses that their representatives have always given to rabid, accuracy-obsessed Star Wars collectors. The responses are ultimately meaningless, but at least they aren't openly derisive and antagonistic. Successful companies may not respect their customers as anything more than potential sources of revenue, but it's also for that reason that they won't be openly disrespectful towards those customers. This is one reason those companies become successful.

I get it: my principles are my problem and Rebor doesn't need my support. But if their tales of behind-the-scenes woe are true, then maybe they need me and others like me more than they think.

Appalachiosaurus

Welp, say goodbye to any chance of getting my money.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrannosauron on June 10, 2015, 12:29:41 AM
Here we have the perfect example of why I won't buy any of Rebor's products even though I really, really like their models.

I get it: my principles are my problem and Rebor doesn't need my support. But if their tales of behind-the-scenes woe are true, then maybe they need me and others like me more than they think.

You seem like you've already made up your mind. I find it exceptionally weird to be overly principled when it comes to issues pertaining to toys, model, statues, video games, electronics, movies and entertainment. Imagine someone stating, "I only buy Frosted Ultra Detail in 1/72 scale"...I think we limit ourselves on purpose to save shelf space or ...money, I suppose.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 10, 2015, 12:48:46 AM

And, what if REBOR introduces an accurate/aesthetic representation of Appalachiosaurus in 2016...? :D

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on June 10, 2015, 12:18:58 AM

I have to say, I find it puzzling and saddening how REBOR seemingly looks upon scientific accuracy with a measure of disdain, as though it would somehow harm sales to depict a fully feathered Yutyrannus or a T. rex that didn't look just like the one from Jurassic Park. On the contrary, a greater attention to accuracy would most likely increase sales.

You raise some interesting points. I wonder what would happen to REBOR's perspective regarding marketing dinosaurs if their updated Y-rex model (let's assume it is accurate and handsomely feathered) sells out at triple the rate as their original Y-rex...?

Since REBOR is marketing their products at the high-end market, I would imagine that accurately depicted dinosaurs might actually sell more than their movie-influenced counterparts...or at least on par. It certainly hasn't hurt Sideshow, as far as I could tell.

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:52:05 AM

And, what if REBOR introduces an accurate/aesthetic representation of Appalachiosaurus in 2016...? :D

Highly unlikely. I don't see this company who panders to the Publics perception of dinosaurs insted of trying to fix it, releasing any dinosaurs the public has no idea exsits.   I would like to see them do a Concavenator, but will they do it?  I doubt it.  Hell there's a Ton of Smaller species i want like a Adasaurus, Psittacosaurus, and a Kulindadromeous, What are the odds of them making those?  I just don't see it.
happening.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 10, 2015, 02:00:31 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:52:05 AM

Highly unlikely.

Yeah, you're right. It seems like something CollectA would do.  :)

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:49:12 AM
You seem like you've already made up your mind. I find it exceptionally weird to be overly principled when it comes to issues pertaining to toys, model, statues, video games, electronics, movies and entertainment. Imagine someone stating, "I only buy Frosted Ultra Detail in 1/72 scale"...I think we limit ourselves on purpose to save shelf space or ...money, I suppose.

I find it exceptionally weird not to be principled. Every decision you make is made on the basis of some principle or another. It's only when the principles are consistent that you can communicate a message. Why is "please don't be rude to your customers" any less valid a message to send than "please make things that fit on my shelf" or "please make things that I can afford"? Maybe you don't think it's a message worth sending, but that doesn't make it the wrong message to send.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrannosauron on June 10, 2015, 02:28:54 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:49:12 AM

I find it exceptionally weird not to be principled. Every decision you make is made on the basis of some principle or another. It's only when the principles are consistent that you can communicate a message. Why is "please don't be rude to your customers" any less valid a message to send than "please make things that fit on my shelf" or "please make things that I can afford"? Maybe you don't think it's a message worth sending, but that doesn't make it the wrong message to send.

If you truly psychoanalyze all the decisions we make on a given day, on a case-by-case basis, you would come to the conclusion that we are an inherently, paradoxical species. We have an ideal (exemplified) image of ourselves that we built in our head, then we proceed to live according to said guidelines. However, in actuality, we always fall short of our ideals because it is a (ongoing) process. Principles are great in the grand scheme of things (with respect to community values, politics, metaphysics, professional outlook etc.) but they seem to fall apart when we apply the grander rules upon minor/trivial social transactions. The reason these principles fall apart (at the micro level) is due to our innate nature to cherry pick without being halfway conscious about it.

Shadowknight1

All I know is that I buy dinosaurs based on the following: 1) Do I like the species?  2) Do they look cool?  Scientific accuracy is really good, but to me, it isn't the most important thing.  And so, I preordered these adorable baby raptors.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Halichoeres

I think Tyrannosauron's point is well-taken. There is no requirement that Rebor be in the business of museum model making, and they can take creative license to whatever preposterous (in a neutral, non-pejorative sense) extremes they like. But the responses I have seen, like calling critics denizens of "Pretentioustan" or whingeing about their flailing business or downplaying the shipping problems and resultant leg-warping, have been petulant and unprofessional. Some of their models are undeniably lovely, but even without invoking principles, I have to say that I don't really want them to have my money.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I should have said this earlier, I meant to say it earlier, but that "Pretentioustan" jab is precisely the sort of poor form that caused REBOR to get banned from these forums in the first place.

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:56:56 AM
Quote from: suspsy on June 10, 2015, 12:18:58 AM

You raise some interesting points. I wonder what would happen to REBOR's perspective regarding marketing dinosaurs if their updated Y-rex model (let's assume it is accurate and handsomely feathered) sells out at triple the rate as their original Y-rex...?

Since REBOR is marketing their products at the high-end market, I would imagine that accurately depicted dinosaurs might actually sell more than their movie-influenced counterparts...or at least on par. It certainly hasn't hurt Sideshow, as far as I could tell.

Here's how I see it. Lay fans of dinosaurs or parents of dinosaur fans are highly unlikely to be willing to shell out large sums of cash for a REBOR model. Your average mom or dad would much sooner buy a cheaper Papo or Schleich toy to satisfy little James' dino craving. The people who ARE most likely to purchase a REBOR product are adult dinosaur enthusiasts, like the ones right here on the DTF, who actively follow paleontology and are fully aware and accepting of feathered theropods. It's the same as how the people most likely to buy high end Star Wars or Transformers statues are longtime adult fans, not parents and children. I've brought up this point in the past and I've yet to see REBOR or anyone one else give a satisfactory answer. But I have to say, even if REBOR's upcoming "Winter" Yutyrannus were to put the Safari Yutyrannus to shame, I'd still be reluctant to give them my business on account of their poor behaviour towards their bread and butter.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

REBOR_STUDIO

Before things heat up again, here are a few simple facts:

1. You can call us "unprofessional", we are totally agree with this  because we are amateurs who love dinosaurs and just want to share our products with the world, we are using our own money to make these products, all we ever want is people say "OK that's cool", we really don't care about the business side as long as we are not losing money, because we are not that rich and we all have families.

2. We do accept criticisms, we exchange emails with fans everyday, people point out what could be improved all the time and we do appreciate their ideas, what we don't like is some people think they know more than others, so they can educate others with condescending tone. Seriously, would anyone consider "they're just screamingly, brutally wrong" is a friendly comment? If you wish to make a point simply "they're just wrong" will do! Those inappropriate comments are like straight slap to the face, and we can't talk back? We have to be nice to everyone? Seriously what kind of logic is that?

3. Stop trying to speak for everyone, "Oh REBOR don't respect customers! REBOR are rude to everyone! " No, wake up, it's just you.

4. "There isn't even an attempt at the sort of PR-friendly lip service that you might get out of, say, Hasbro. I haven't contacted Hasbro about their Jurassic World line, which I seriously dislike, but if I did I can imagine what their representative's respone would be: "We'll look into that," or "We'll take that into consideration," or "We're working on it." " Don't imagine things, please give it a go to find out. 

5. The good news is now since we've set up our prestige in the market, we can move on and focus on making more scientific accurate dinosaur replicas :)

OK enough said, chill out everyone and thanks to those who speak for us. For those who don't like the way we make our products, just don't buy them and don't visit topics that relate to us, please treat us like we never exist, there is no point to get angry with us. 

Arul

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 08:46:38 AM
OK enough said, chill out everyone and thanks to those who speak for us. For those who don't like the way we make our products, just don't buy them and don't visit topics that relate to us, please treat us like we never exist, there is no point to get angry with us.

They cant, because the true lovers is the haters trust me lol

Mauro "Raptor86"

IMHO

If I want a cool looking inaccurate dino model I will surely buy Papo, not REBOR because:

1) They are a lot cheaper
2) The coolness of their look is at par or superior to the REBOR models
3) REBOR models suffer of warping issue, too. And if I pay 80 euros I demand not to have those issue at all.

I  have to admit that I have never had the pleasure of reviewing any REBOR model to date, but just looking at the pictures and the youtube videos, to me, they are just overpriced PAPO-like dinosaur toys.
Of course, everything would change if REBOR started to try to follow scientifical accuracy. Not beacuse it is everything, but we are still talking about animals models, not monsters, aren't we?

But anyway the market's laws are everything these days, so if these are selling well, who are we to suggest REBOR what to do?

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on June 10, 2015, 11:29:29 AM

And if I pay 80 euros I demand not to have those issue at all.

Hi, could you please let us know which shop list our product for 80 Euros? REBOR King T-rex is the most expensive one by far, We know our sellers in Germany list it for 50 Euros, which is nothing even close to 80 Euros, and this price includes 19% VAT, that's 9.5 Euros to the government, and if the shipping fee is expensive, that's just because the post office charges that much, do you think that we all sit behind the desk and counting money with evil laugh? Again our products are more expensive than Papo simply because:

1. One piece injection moulding method is expensive

2. Polystone bases cost a lot

3. Packaging materials, those are not cheap foam, actually even better than average dish washing foam in the market

4. The boxes are large, which increase the shipping cost significantly, to ship one unit REBOR King T-rex to seller could cost around 6 Pounds or 10 Dollars or 8 Euros

But thank you for pointing out the problems, we appreciate it and we are also looking for a way to lower the cost. Also we are planning to release smaller dinosaur replicas for children with lower price, and no matter what products we make, you can be sure that we will spend the same amount of efforts on them, the quality and production value of REBOR products will never drop :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: