News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 11, 2015, 07:07:17 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 05:09:58 PMI feel that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. In other words, I don't think it has the intended effect. It sounds good in theory, though. Also boycotts and protests generally serve to increase public interest in a cause, person or product. It is essentially a form of advertisement.
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 09:21:27 PMI doubt that it is 'scientific' as there is considerable room for bias.
I'm not sure that you're intending to do so, but you're pretty consistently putting words in my mouth or implying that I believe things that I don't. I never said that a forum poll would be scientific and I specifically said that I wasn't an advocate of organized boycotting.

As for voting with one's dollars, I'd say that it very clearly does work. To cite two recent high-profile examples, Apple introduced the larger iPhone and McDonald's has made (nominally) health-conscious menu changes because people expressed changes in their preferences by giving money to competitors. Individual action may not make much of a difference, but the aggregate of many individual actions does. If you want change, then the fatalist sort of "one person can't make a difference" attitude only works when there are other people who don't take that attitude.

Hey, sorry about that. It was not intentional. I like the examples that you've mentioned regarding the concept of 'voting with one's dollars'. Sometimes I wonder if companies like Apple and McDonald's always intended on delivering those products/changes from the very beginning. Nevertheless, consumers can expedite the process.

stargatedalek

Despite the pronated wrists I definitely like those baby raptors. I especially like how they come off the base to be held!
Assuming they are the same material as the main line (rather than the more fragile Jolly) I will probably get these at some point.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 12, 2015, 08:44:29 PM
Despite the pronated wrists I definitely like those baby raptors. I especially like how they come off the base to be held!
Assuming they are the same material as the main line (rather than the more fragile Jolly) I will probably get these at some point.

I've noticed that it was mentioned earlier that Jolly is fragile and I'm really confused about that. My Jolly seemed very sturdy and non-brittle, but then again, I never dropped it or attempted to move it around all that much.

Doug Watson

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
We will not let our fan down, also we've learned that some members on this forum do appreciate our work and want to purchase them but just not happy with our attitude. We agree that the whole argument is pointless except hurting each other, therefore we would like to apologise to artist Doug Watson and those forum members who've felt offended, after all we are here because we all love dinosaurs :)

Because I do not follow this thread amargasaurus cazaui has tipped me off that an apology had been issued. Well that certainly was short and sweet, certainly not as verbose or detailed as their attack. Even managed to leave the fan's negative comment about two of my pieces in it.

Having said that I have read many of their negative responses here so I imagine that was hard for them so I will accept it.

I believe amargasaurus cazaui is the only one who said they would not buy their offerings until an apology was issued and let me make it clear I never asked anyone not to buy their stuff and I wouldn't have considered it a betrayal even if he had. His stance was appreciated however. I feel everyone should be able to buy whatever they want to spend their hard earned money on no matter what I think of it. As long as they don't start making knock offs I couldn't care what they do or who buys it. So as far as I am concerned this is finished for me.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 12, 2015, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
We will not let our fan down, also we've learned that some members on this forum do appreciate our work and want to purchase them but just not happy with our attitude. We agree that the whole argument is pointless except hurting each other, therefore we would like to apologise to artist Doug Watson and those forum members who've felt offended, after all we are here because we all love dinosaurs :)

Because I do not follow this thread amargasaurus cazaui has tipped me off that an apology had been issued. Well that certainly was short and sweet, certainly not as verbose or detailed as their attack. Even managed to leave the fan's negative comment about two of my pieces in it.

Having said that I have read many of their negative responses here so I imagine that was hard for them so I will accept it.

I believe amargasaurus cazaui is the only one who said they would not buy their offerings until an apology was issued and let me make it clear I never asked anyone not to buy their stuff and I wouldn't have considered it a betrayal even if he had. His stance was appreciated however. I feel everyone should be able to buy whatever they want to spend their hard earned money on no matter what I think of it. As long as they don't start making knock offs I couldn't care what they do or who buys it. So as far as I am concerned this is finished for me.
true 'dat...in fact Doug had urged me to buy what I want and forget this. I made my decision because I remember the night I read that whole mess and saw ...I think it was John, that got banned . I came this close to sitting right beside him in the same box too. I stopped myself and decided to instead make my comment with my actions..in declining any purchase until such time as....I did what I felt was right, and honestly I pity the person who thinks they can determine what choices I will make buying for my collection. Mine was a sole decision, and if anyone influenced me aside from my friendship with Doug, it was John, who I admired for speaking up despite the consequences.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

CityRaptor

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 12, 2015, 01:18:33 AM
I'm really looking forward to Hercules now!  We need a hero!

Well, that hero is gonna eat you! Wonder if there will be a smaller Sauropod due to the Paluxy River footsteps.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shadowknight1

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 12, 2015, 11:08:53 PM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 12, 2015, 01:18:33 AM
I'm really looking forward to Hercules now!  We need a hero!

Well, that hero is gonna eat you! Wonder if there will be a smaller Sauropod due to the Paluxy River footsteps.
That's possible!  And nah, he won't eat me!  We're from the same general area, he's like my neighbor! :))
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 12, 2015, 10:41:17 PM

I admire your response Doug.  I agree regarding your observations.  In both the fan's comment, and Rebor's apology, I don't see an apology to you and other members who have been treated badly being recognised as what should be done because it's fair and right.

Tyrannosauron, suspsy, Tallin and Halichoeres have all made very good and inspiring points.  I accept Rebor's apology too, for the same reason as Doug.  I'm moving on.

Rebor, if you make children's toys I hope you try to make them accurate.  It's not necessary to make them inaccurate, and it would be great if toys you make inspire enjoyment, learning and appreciation of real animals that once lived rather than deliberately altered versions of them.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Sim on June 13, 2015, 03:31:04 AM
Rebor, if you make children's toys I hope you try to make them accurate.  It's not necessary to make them inaccurate, and it would be great if toys you make inspire enjoyment, learning and appreciation of real animals that once lived rather than deliberately altered versions of them.
They can't do worse than Hasbro.  It's sad when the best looking dinosaur toys a company puts out aren't even real dinosaurs.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 13, 2015, 05:00:27 AM
Quote from: Sim on June 13, 2015, 03:31:04 AM
They can't do worse than Hasbro.  It's sad when the best looking dinosaur toys a company puts out aren't even real dinosaurs.
I suppose this will start an internet text war, but Hasbro is not trying to make real dinosaurs, it has been established time and again the animals in the Jurassic park franchise are in fact NOT dinosaurs, they are theme park attractions that...well you know. Point being that Hasbro at least in their efforts is not trying to make dinosaur figures, they are trying to Make Jurassic Park style figures....as for Rebor they are attempting to make...what they had stated were museum level accurate representations of these animals. The comparison is apples to oranges and not well chosen. That being said, I myself am not fond of the toys Hasbro is kicking out either...I can get them at lower prices than most of you can and still so far only own the Bag set and one larger figure...the Pachy of all things.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Shonisaurus

I particularly to Acrocanthosaurus see it with many inaccuracies, for how expensive it is, and if not then still stands as the ceratosaurus ... they do not pay me to buy it.

Moreover pups velociraptor not convince me, it seems too expensive, in my humble opinion not match the parameter scientists today.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 13, 2015, 10:33:46 AM
I particularly to Acrocanthosaurus see it with many inaccuracies, for how expensive it is, and if not then still stands as the ceratosaurus ... they do not pay me to buy it.

Moreover pups velociraptor not convince me, it seems too expensive, in my humble opinion not match the parameter scientists today.
The only "inaccuracies" on the Acro are the angry eye crests which are fleshy protrusions just like your nose and ears and the raised bump in between the eyes on the top of the skull.  Rebor's Acro is one of the most accurate I've seen as it gets details right that other figures have omitted, such as the enlarged claw on the hand.  Also, the price for Hercules hasn't been announced yet.  I can't speak to how it'll stand but I'm sure Rebor is more than aware of the issue.

Scientific parameters aren't something that they were going for with the raptor-lings.  they've said that.

tanystropheus

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 13, 2015, 10:33:46 AM

As stated before, it doesn't have many inaccuracies. In fact, the Acrocanthosaurus sports as many inaccuracies as other mass market models that are generally regarded as being 'accurate'. It is also more accurate than the CollectA Acrocanthosaurus, as far as I can tell.

REBOR never intended for the Raptors to be accurate. They are part of the Club Selection line and do not express the 'Museum Class' label. However, it is (incidentally) peculiar that the hatchlets are encased in some scientifically accurate egg shells (perhaps, the best of their kind as far as shape and texture)

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 13, 2015, 06:59:34 PM
Illustration of Acrocanthosaurus and Tenontosaurus prey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrocanthosaurus#/media/File:Acrocanthosaurus_atokensis_by_durbed.jpg

comment: We've never seen this illustration before until now (swear), and the prototype of Hercules the Acrocanthosaurus and Tenontosaurus prey was finished back in February 2015, therefore it got to be pure coincidence: the Acrocanthosaurus look quite different from ours, but we cannot help thinking if 2/3 of Prey's body in the picture was removed leaving only the upper torso and the left front limb, and that's our Tenontosaurus! Of course there some differences, ours month was shut, limb looks stronger and, body size is larger and colour scheme is different, but if you want to know what Hercules' prey looks like and how it's carried, you are looking right at it :)

Shonisaurus

It is true what you say and do not argue at all since I consider myself an amateur poor knowledge of dinosaurs ultimately a mere apprentice since in this website'm learning more than in all the manuals that I have at home and I am quite positive about myself, but for example with regard to the hind legs of the animal by the only photograph we know think that you may be too broad hooves is a mere opinion.

Moreover it is an absolute improvement over acroncanthosaurus of Rebor, I acknowledge that I exceeded. But I'm very hurt by my recent purchase of ceratosaurus of the same brand, which is obviously excellent in all aspects, but it is almost impossible to put up autonomously.

My concern that the same happens to ceratosaurus happens to the Acrocanthosaurus of Collecta. I apologize for my complete ignorance to the forum members. Viewing the Wikipedia is true what comentaís. But the hooves of the hind legs look too wide, it may be due to avoid the fall of the dinosaur as unfortunately happened in previous editions.

Regarding the offspring of a velociraptor is not a figure of museum but I wish they had fuzz considering that this species according to recent studies was feathered.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 13, 2015, 07:34:20 PM
It is true what you say and do not argue at all since I consider myself an amateur poor knowledge of dinosaurs ultimately a mere apprentice since in this website'm learning more than in all the manuals that I have at home and I am quite positive about myself, but for example with regard to the hind legs of the animal by the only photograph we know think that you may be too broad hooves is a mere opinion.

Moreover it is an absolute improvement over acroncanthosaurus of Rebor, I acknowledge that I exceeded. But I'm very hurt by my recent purchase of ceratosaurus of the same brand, which is obviously excellent in all aspects, but it is almost impossible to put up autonomously.

My concern that the same happens to ceratosaurus happens to the Acrocanthosaurus of Collecta. I apologize for my complete ignorance to the forum members. Viewing the Wikipedia is true what comentaís. But the hooves of the hind legs look too wide, it may be due to avoid the fall of the dinosaur as unfortunately happened in previous editions.

Regarding the offspring of a velociraptor is not a figure of museum but I wish they had fuzz considering that this species according to recent studies was feathered.

We have learnt our lesson and there will be a piece of plastic tray goes between Hercules's legs.

As for the velociraptor hatchlings, they are just movie monsters, don't take they too seriously, we know they are absolutely inaccurate, but come on, these old school style little guys will make some collectors happy :)

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 13, 2015, 07:03:42 PM
As stated before, it doesn't have many inaccuracies. In fact, the Acrocanthosaurus sports as many inaccuracies as other mass market models that are generally regarded as being 'accurate'. It is also more accurate than the CollectA Acrocanthosaurus, as far as I can tell.

REBOR never intended for the Raptors to be accurate. They are part of the Club Selection line and do not express the 'Museum Class' label. However, it is (incidentally) peculiar that the hatchlets are encased in some scientifically accurate egg shells (perhaps, the best of their kind as far as shape and texture)
You would be correct on that note.  CollectA shouldn't have used their Carcharodontasaurus as a base to start from.  Its thumb claw isn't enlarged and worse is the inaccurate spine.
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 13, 2015, 07:55:14 PM

We have learnt our lesson and there will be a piece of plastic tray goes between Hercules's legs.

Great to hear!

stargatedalek

Sorry if I missed it but has any price and/or release date/preorder date for the raptors been announced?

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 13, 2015, 09:11:09 PM
Sorry if I missed it but has any price and/or release date/preorder date for the raptors been announced?

estimated price: $79.99  target release: late July (LE 1000)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: