You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Robin - Goodfellow's Collection ( Collection "Tour" from page 113 )

Started by RobinGoodfellow, March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Yeah, well, I do not doubt those scientific findings and there's a lot people around the globe that know such things better than me...

What I do not understand in this regard however is, how those people can miss the obvious problems with those reconstructions, as it's physically impossible to have it bipedal with a bulk of bones and organs and jaws in front, but a skinny tail like that in the back.

However, I don't want to spoil this thread with off topics :)

ZoPteryx

Really great model!  I love the facial expression it has, looks almost gentle.

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 25, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 25, 2017, 07:44:44 PM
If it truly was a full biped, the skeletal reconstruct aswell as the model needs a lot more bulk in the tail....

... that being said it is nevertheless an impressive model :)
As Robin said there is a very good consensus that Postosuchus was a true biped, but you're right in that the tail is not nearly bulky enough, same for those skeletals.

Well, those skeletals are by Peters, so a skinny tail is probably the least of their issues.  ::)

RobinGoodfellow

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I apologize to all the viewers of my online picture galleries: I didn't remove any old photos from my albums.
It's just Flickr that's experiencing some technical problem so a lot of my pictures seem to be "No Longer Available".
But they don't.
I hope Flickr will be ready again soon..  ::)
Sorry  :-\
_____________________________________________________________________________________

RobinGoodfellow

..some vintage paleo-art in my collection: The Panini stickers album (directly from my childhood  ^-^ ).
                                                               (the original italian edition, of course..)

Front Cover

The large "tables"

The rear cover (...really far from "mint" state...  ;) )

Good old times....  O:-)

If you are interested in the full album, here it is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157651984553802/with/16548054543/

:)

Lanthanotus

I loved this book as a child and just bought it again few months ago. The German edition however was no sticker book, but rather a dinosaur book with lots of great - and very retro - paleo-art, but I see it missed a lot of the great pictures shown here. I've seen them before on your album, Robin, but thanks for posting them once more :)

RobinGoodfellow

The Panini stickers album was taken from a book (in my collection):

Could it be the book you're talking about?

Lanthanotus

Yes indeed, though published as two editions, "Saurier - Tiere der Urzeit" just included the "dinosaurs", dinosaurs and pre-dinosaur prehistoric creatures, another edition - I don't recall the title - included the post-dinosaurian era. I don't have that in my possesion, but seeing it now I definetly remember the Smilodon pictures :)

postsaurischian

Lanthanotus, you delude yourself. Both (The Panini stickers album & the hardcover book) are exactly the same in the German editions.
I had completed the whole sticker album as a child, but sold it many years ago. The book ("Bunter Kinder Kosmos") I still have.

tyrantqueen

I love the artwork in that Panini sticker album. It's glorious. I need it.

postsaurischian

>:( I should have kept the sticker album. I gave it away in my "non-Dinosaurs teenage break" (only music and girls in my head).
After I had gotten back to Dinosaurs in my mid-twenties I regretted having given away a lot of things :'(.
So my advice to the DTF youngsters is: If you seem to loose interest in our hobby one day, you still better keep the collectibles for a while! The obsession might come back. I know of a few people who did experience the same.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 26, 2017, 08:40:37 PM
Lanthanotus, you delude yourself. Both (The Panini stickers album & the hardcover book) are exactly the same in the German editions.

I didn't know there was a sticker book, I just know the hard cover books and they do not include these "Wimmelbilder" (is there a proper translation for this term?) shown in post #1129 :)

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 26, 2017, 09:41:18 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on September 26, 2017, 08:40:37 PM

I didn't know there was a sticker book, I just know the hard cover books and they do not include these "Wimmelbilder" (is there a proper translation for this term?) shown in post #1129 :)

Yes, the "Wimmelbilder" ??? ;D are only in the sticker book, but the hardcover includes both - Dinosaurs and prehistoric Megafauna. Maybe they split it into two in later editions.

Patrx

That art may be out-of-date, but it is absurdly lovely and detailed. Check out the tangled plants on the stegosaur's tail, for example.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

I had that book when I was a child. Talking of misconceptions, it states like a fact that Stegosaurus had two brains. And yes, lovely retro paleoart in it.

RobinGoodfellow

Apparently other DTF members like vintage paleo-art like me...  ;)
So I decided to entirely scan my oldest book "Guarda e Scopri gli Animali della Preistoria" FMZ - 1971  ( or " Bunter Kinder Kosmos " in Germany ).
You can fully view the complete book on Flickr.

Some small preview:

Full book illustrations (61 pages) here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157686640668410/with/23503670088/

I hope you like...

Reptilia

Yes, I clearly remember this book. The illustrations are outdated now, but still beautiful, and by the way had a huge impact on my mind as a child, as I think on everyone's ever exposed to such type of books at a very young age. I was particularly fascinated by the Cynognathus, because it was described as a "dog-reptile", and that sounded so weird and interesting to me. Thanks for uploading, and bringing up the memories.

P.S. I just realized that the Smilodon is basically identical to the Papo one, the first version, maybe they took inspiration from these illustrations. I wonder who is the paleoartist here, possibly Zdenek Burian?

Shonisaurus

What good memories I have of this book! It was one of my earliest books of prehistory in my childhood and for me perhaps the favorite.

Thanks to books like that I became fond of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals. By the way the rhamphorhynchus of Safari is clearly influenced in the illustrations of this book. In fact its colors with identical.  ^-^

RobinGoodfellow

(for info about figures, please follow the link at the end, clicking on picture you're interested)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157686031711803/with/35136001506/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: