You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Robin - Goodfellow's Collection ( Collection "Tour" from page 113 )

Started by RobinGoodfellow, March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

postsaurischian

Phew! I didn't want to comment on the Dimorphodon first because I was a bit shocked by what Martin had done to the eyes.
Now your new pictures show much better that I saw something completely wrong. Sometimes this happens to me.
The Dimorphodon is absolutely stunning!  :D Congrats! I'd like to hang it with that wall mount in my living room.

Lanthanotus

Glass eyes, hadn't guessed that those were exchanged from the photos in the other thread. So you gonna put it on the wall as supposed?

Also nice pics of the 7 Littel Dinosaurs... ordered that set some time ago and am awaiting it now. Really great figures.

PhilSauria

Those eyes! Really brings it to life. That settles it - eyes are changing one way or another on mine as well. As always - great photos.

ceratopsian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 06, 2018, 08:16:36 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 06, 2018, 07:49:37 PM
What an excellent idea to have the wall mount!

...it's not me... it's by Martin...  :P
That is what I thought. Sorry I was not clear enough!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 06, 2018, 08:53:41 PM
So you gonna put it on the wall as supposed?

No, it's too dangerous.
Probably I'll create a wooden L-shaped support for the trunk and the figure will stay in a cabinet beside others flying reptiles.
:)

RobinGoodfellow

Mr. Martin Garratt liked so much the Collecta Dimorphodon that he customized one for himself..

That's the figure from Garratt's private collection:

It's quite similar to the one I bought (wall-mount included).

Roselaar

Wow, that Dimorphodon looks nigh photorealistic (as far as we know)! It wasn't a bad figure in any way to begin with, but now it looks better than ever. :)

Shonisaurus

By the way, Martin's dimorphodon has glass eyes attached, but I'm wrong.

What I would like to know is the technique you used to remove the eyes to the original dimorphodon and put those crystal eyes so precious.  :D

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 07, 2018, 04:31:03 PM
By the way, Martin's dimorphodon has glass eyes attached, but I'm wrong.

What I would like to know is the technique you used to remove the eyes to the original dimorphodon and put those crystal eyes so precious.  :D

I suppose Martin used a cutter or a sharp knife and removed old eyeballs.
Then he inserted glass eyes and used some epoxy clay to re-model the area around eyes.
I'm not a sculptor so it's only what I'm supposing Martin did..

Dimorphodon is not the only figure in my collection with glass eyes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157661032161935/page1

tanystropheus

Taxidermy eyes make a huge difference in impression. I wish there were more companies other than Tyco and Tsukada that would employ such a technique.

The Dimorphodon looks really good but I think it is an odd decision for Garratt to shrink-wrap the skull of his version even more.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 08, 2018, 08:38:08 AM
I think it is an odd decision for Garratt to shrink-wrap the skull of his version even more.

...the "shrink-wrap" thing is quite complicated for extinct creatures..
There are extant flying animals with a shrink-wrap head ( like bats) so, probably, it's difficult to judge.
I don't know..

Shonisaurus

The truth is that the glass eyes give a more realistic look to dinosaur figures or prehistoric toy animals and on the other hand I do not know if it fits the figure of the prehistoric animal in question as members of the forum point out but sincerely makes the figure was alive.  :D

For other thanks Robin for your explanation of how you suppose that Martin incrusted the glass eyes of dimorphodon, without a doubt it is another work of art of that great artist.  8)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 08, 2018, 04:00:56 PM
The truth is that the glass eyes give a more realistic look to dinosaur figures or prehistoric toy animals and on the other hand I do not know if it fits the figure of the prehistoric animal in question as members of the forum point out but sincerely makes the figure was alive.  :D

For other thanks Robin for your explanation of how you suppose that Martin incrusted the glass eyes of dimorphodon, without a doubt it is another work of art of that great artist.  8)

OK, unpopular opinion here....I actually dislike glass eyes on model and toy dinosaurs. I have never liked them, I remember seeing them on Dino Riders toys when I was younger, and hated how they looked like cheap teddy bear eyes. I'm not even that keen on taxidermy eyes. I think they look jarring against the painted surface of the rest of the model.

Call me a philistine or whatever, but that's the way I feel. I would take a well painted modelled eye over a glass one any day. Just my preference.

RobinGoodfellow

..they've been traveling to my home right now..
In my collection thread soon.

Thanks to JPSelection that helped me to buy directly from japanese official stores.

Shonisaurus

Robin celebrated that you have this group of figures on your shelves soon, and among them the set of marine animals of the Paleozoic age of Colorata are very beautiful.  :)

Every day I am tempted much more by the set of marine prehistoric animals of the Paloeozoic.  8) In fact I have already bought my first figure Colorata which is the quetzalcoatlus in scale 1:40 limited version.

Although it is second-hand and without support I do not regret having bought it at least it is much cheaper than the new version that other members of the forum have bought.  ^-^

RobinGoodfellow

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on March 11, 2018, 03:40:18 PM

The Colorata Expo Quetzalcoatlus is an awesome figure..  8)

Totally agree with you Robin. Thanks to you and other members of the forum who have shown this figure I was encouraged yesterday to buy it from a Canadian eBay seller, although it is second hand and with scratches and without the base, I do not regret having bought it, it saved me a lot of money in a very expensive figure and most importantly, I have the figure that is part of the set of interesting Colorata.

Summing up the quetzalcoatlus of Colorata is a great figure as you say awesome.  8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: