News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum glossary

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, April 03, 2015, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

All of me and mine are safe and doing alright, although half the town here is without power still and the work goes on cleaning and repairing the damage. Thanks for your thoughts.....and another word we should add is trolling...a definite internet powerhouse there!!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

1. kangaroo pose
2. glorified-chinasaur
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sumo

Raisinsaur - a model with excessive wrinkles.

I'm searching for a word that describes the kind of model where the sculptor has meticulously shaped each individual scale, completely disregarding the fact that they're so oversized the model looks like a pangolin... any ideas? I feel like that word should exist.
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Sumo on April 04, 2015, 10:04:54 PM

I'm searching for a word that describes the kind of model where the sculptor has meticulously shaped each individual scale, completely disregarding the fact that they're so oversized the model looks like a pangolin... any ideas? I feel like that word should exist.

That's good although I think pruneosaur or pruneosaurus sounds a little better  ;)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Sumo

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on April 04, 2015, 10:43:25 PM
Quote from: Sumo on April 04, 2015, 10:04:54 PM

That's good although I think pruneosaur or pruneosaurus sounds a little better  ;)

Ooh, you're right! Pruneosaur is the new official term!  :D
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

SBell

A common one is Bin Figure. Used to describe assortments of figures that are found in baskets or bins. They aren't always necessarily bad--Play Visions figures would have been Bin Figures.

Also, I prefer to use 'Dollarsaur' or Cheaposaur to describe low-quality models. Removes the cultural/racial tinge of Chinasaur (and I have seen terrible Mexican, Spanish, and Italian figures, so it's not just one country).

tyrantqueen

El cheapo is a term used to describe something of low, inexpensive quality.

I could link to Urbandictionary.com which has an official entry but I shan't since a lot of the content tends to be vulgar.

DinoToyForum

I removed some of the terms from the list because I don't think they are fitting for our forum and I don't want to encourage their use (snarkasm & plasticrack).

I also tweaked the definition some words, including 'toycott'. The bit about doing so with pride is obvious referring to another post and could cause aggregation.

tyrantqueen

How about "bunny hands" and "zombie hands" for when the hands of a theropod are restored incorrectly.

And "elephant feet"- sauropods whose feet have been restored to resemble an elephant. Example:

Shrinkwrapping- when an artist restores a dinosaur with every muscle and sinew visible.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 06, 2015, 09:49:22 PM

And "elephant feet"- sauropods whose feet have been restored to resemble an elephant. Example:

Make that any Herbivorous Dinosaur Sculpted with feet that resemble an Elephants

CityRaptor

Disneysaur - an Ornithopod with lips instead of a beak. ( Like in Disney's Dinosaur. Might also be used for that movie )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 05:55:36 PM
I removed some of the terms from the list because I don't think they are fitting for our forum and I don't want to encourage their use (snarkasm & plasticrack).

I also tweaked the definition some words, including 'toycott'. The bit about doing so with pride is obvious referring to another post and could cause aggregation.

I think this forum could already be described as an 'aggregation'. It's too bad when some of the posts cause aggravation.

Grammar nerd, out! O:-)

sauroid

surprised that the term tripod pose hasnt been mentioned yet (sorry if it has been included already)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SBell on April 07, 2015, 12:35:32 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 05, 2015, 05:55:36 PM

I think this forum could already be described as an 'aggregation'. It's too bad when some of the posts cause aggravation.

Grammar nerd, out! O:-)

hehe, autocorrect strikes again.

BTW, I though of another word,

Dinorama - a dinosaur diorama

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on April 07, 2015, 05:17:17 AM
surprised that the term tripod pose hasnt been mentioned yet (sorry if it has been included already)

'Tripod pose' is pretty descriptive, I'm not sure it needs a definition.  :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on April 05, 2015, 03:24:55 PM
Also, I prefer to use 'Dollarsaur' or Cheaposaur to describe low-quality models. Removes the cultural/racial tinge of Chinasaur (and I have seen terrible Mexican, Spanish, and Italian figures, so it's not just one country).

I am definitely on board with making this less about a country (Kaiyodos, Papos, and Carnegies are all made in China after all), but how about Dime-a-saur so as to retain the assonance?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tyto_Theropod

Kangaroo pose: A subcategory of tripod with pronated hands and a tail bent like a kangaroo's (surely I'm not the only one who uses this term!)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.