News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Quote from: Sim on February 04, 2019, 08:47:08 PM
Did you fix the broken wing on your Rebor Protolindenia, or did you replace the broken figure with a new one?

I bought a new one. I don't think there's a good way to repair it. And anyway, it's one of Rebor's cheapest items. Of course now I have an extra Rebor Compy to get rid of.

Quote from: Ravonium on February 05, 2019, 05:54:22 PM
In spite of it being one of the only 5 new PNSO minis I own, I agree that the Liaoceratops is certainly one of the standouts of the line.

Yup. The small species in the line are better on average, in my opinion, which suits me just fine.

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 05, 2019, 02:29:11 AM
What is that little Ceratopsian in the photo you've captioned "Mongolia during the Campanian"? Doesn't look familiar to me.

Sorry for the slow reply. As Robin indicated, it's the UHA Collect Club Proto by Kaiyodo, released 2006:

I think it's the nicest Protoceratops out there.

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 04, 2019, 09:18:29 PM
I just  did a review of the Animantarx, and I can understand both your points, the overwrought texturing and the sloppy tail. As for the texturing to me it´s fine, but I think I am going to mention the tail which looks sloppily sculpted, but only from certain angles.
The main thing I like about it is that it's a new species. I find the tail pretty unsightly, but you're right that some angles make it look worse than others. I liked your review!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

"I think it's the nicest Protoceratops out there."

The sitting, yellow Kaiyodo one is great, too!

Roselaar

Excellent new additions, Hali! I love the mystery Pterosaur, it's wonderful. :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 06, 2019, 06:56:47 AM
"I think it's the nicest Protoceratops out there."

The sitting, yellow Kaiyodo one is great, too!

Also a winner! I confess I have both in my collection, even though I generally don't have two versions of the same animal in a similar scale.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 06, 2019, 08:17:19 AM

..for a big fish collector: have you already seen these from Vitor Silva ?

Yes! Wonderful pieces. I visit his web site regularly, and I have an order in production from him. As you probably know, these aren't cast, but sculpted individually to order. I didn't order these particular species (Protosphyraena and Vinctifer), but perhaps I will in the future. My order will hopefully be ready in the next couple of months.

Quote from: Roselaar on February 06, 2019, 09:29:14 PM
Excellent new additions, Hali! I love the mystery Pterosaur, it's wonderful. :)

Thanks very much!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Georassic

I was your ebay competitor for the pterosaur, but I wasn't willing to go very high because it was unbranded and I couldn't find any reference anywhere. Congratulations on winning!!! A great addition to an awesome collection!!!

Derek.McManus

I thought you liked the fish? Congratulations on your win.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Georassic on February 07, 2019, 07:40:14 PM
I was your ebay competitor for the pterosaur, but I wasn't willing to go very high because it was unbranded and I couldn't find any reference anywhere. Congratulations on winning!!! A great addition to an awesome collection!!!

Oh, man, that was you? When I posted it in the identification thread, you must have thought, "damn it...." Always feel a little guilty when I find out I've outbid a friend!

Georassic

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 08, 2019, 07:55:21 PM
Quote from: Georassic on February 07, 2019, 07:40:14 PM

Oh, man, that was you? When I posted it in the identification thread, you must have thought, "damn it...." Always feel a little guilty when I find out I've outbid a friend!
Actually, if I can't have it, I'm glad to lose it to another collector! I figured it was only a matter of time til I saw it in someone's thread here.  :D

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Nice acquisitions  :)
The shot of the CollectA Mapusaurus, Safari Carnotaurus & Eofauna Giganotosaurus together reminds me of my collection as I now have three next to one another (although the Carnegie Saltasaurus is in the middle of them).
That little pterosaur by an unknown brand is a very good find, it's actually a very nice figure. A walking pose too, is a nice surprise.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Bokisaurus

That protoceratops is my favorite I just love mine ^-^
Yeah, South American theropods is getting a lot of love these days ^-^

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 09, 2019, 05:25:37 PM
Nice acquisitions  :)
The shot of the CollectA Mapusaurus, Safari Carnotaurus & Eofauna Giganotosaurus together reminds me of my collection as I now have three next to one another (although the Carnegie Saltasaurus is in the middle of them).
That little pterosaur by an unknown brand is a very good find, it's actually a very nice figure. A walking pose too, is a nice surprise.

My Saltasaurus would be there too, except that most of my collection remains in storage while I figure out where my next job is.

suspsy

I notice you're using a piece of plastic to support your CollectA Mapusaurus. Does yours sag, or are you simply erring on the side of caution? I don't own that toy myself, but I've been pondering about getting it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on February 20, 2019, 02:27:24 PM
I notice you're using a piece of plastic to support your CollectA Mapusaurus. Does yours sag, or are you simply erring on the side of caution? I don't own that toy myself, but I've been pondering about getting it.

Yeah, I've had several of my CollectA theropods with bases sag, which is odd, because the whole time I've been collecting I've lived in cooler climates, with my shelves out of direct sunlight. They've never experienced a temperature greater than 25ºC. Anyway, these days I just leave them in the saddles as a precaution.

suspsy

My Lythronax and Ichthyovenator have been sagging recently as well. So too have my miniature PNSO Allosaurus and Majungasaurus. I fixed the issue using supports made of clear LEGO bricks. They work very well.

ceratopsian

I have always had trouble with the little PNSO Allosaurus.  Thanks for the tip on clear LEGO bricks - what a good idea!

Quote from: suspsy on February 22, 2019, 04:29:46 PM
My Lythronax and Ichthyovenator have been sagging recently as well. So too have my miniature PNSO Allosaurus and Majungasaurus. I fixed the issue using supports made of clear LEGO bricks. They work very well.

suspsy

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 22, 2019, 08:07:06 PM
I have always had trouble with the little PNSO Allosaurus.  Thanks for the tip on clear LEGO bricks - what a good idea!

Yup, there's nothing LEGO can't do! I also made supports for my Battat T. rex and the big one from Dinosaurs in the Wild. Haven't had to worry at all about them tipping off the shelf.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on February 22, 2019, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on February 22, 2019, 08:07:06 PM

Yup, there's nothing LEGO can't do! I also made supports for my Battat T. rex and the big one from Dinosaurs in the Wild. Haven't had to worry at all about them tipping off the shelf.

My poor Saurophaganax is doing the same thing, it's almost on it's side. I might need to prop it as well.

Jose S.M.

I had to find props to my Lythronax, bistahieversor, Ichthyovenator and Xionguanlong. The first two lean to their side and the other to the front.

Halichoeres

Time for the fourth annual collection update! I started collecting in late February, 2015. A pretty good time to get into collecting, as the last couple of years have seen the emergence of some exciting new companies (and I suspect we're not through with the upstarts). Here's my collection as of yesterday!

587 pieces
534 taxa
including 333 stem-birds
from 85 unique brands
made in 16 countries
spanning ~64 years of releases

5 brands represent over 50% of the collection:
Safari Ltd: 96
CollectA: 79
Kaiyodo: 60
Favorite: 36
PNSO: 27 (first appearance in the top 5, overtaking Yowie!)
(more information at my Flickr page)

The shelves in my current apartment and office are mostly 1) aquatic stuff and 2) stuff I've picked up in the last year or so, since I'm still in a temporary job and most of the things I acquired before the move remain in storage.

~1:60

1:50 and smaller

The Cretaceous around 1:40

The Jurassic and Cretaceous around 1:40

The Triassic and Jurassic around 1:40

The Paleozoic and Triassic around 1:40

1:25-1:35

1:25-1:35 on top of my file cabinets.

1:17-1:25

1:17-1:25

1:11-1:17

1:11-1:17

1:7-1:11

1:6-1:10

Mostly around 1:6

~1:6

1:2-1:4

Mostly about 1:2

About life-size

~1:1

Larger than life-size

some skulls

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: