News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on March 23, 2017, 09:59:56 AM
Quite the amazing collection you got there a mix of absolutely everything, hmm yet I wonder who made this Kentrosaurus:

Looks quite larget that most Stegosaurid models I seen, love the post actually unless that is not a Kentrosaurus, my bad 8)

That's a Chungkingosaurus from PNSO (China).

At 11:50 min:   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-xR0y6CLw&t=12s

Also here:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157667322973960

Tylosaurus

Ah okay I see :) it's very large even bigger than a Laptop rofl
Dunno where I could buy one of these, ebay doesn't seem to have any references for them.

Thanks for the info though :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Tylosaurus Rev.A2 on March 23, 2017, 11:08:01 AM
Dunno where I could buy one of these, ebay doesn't seem to have any references for them.

PNSO figures were available on Amazon but now PNSO is experiencing some problems with that reseller and figures aren't available yet.
The only way is Taobao China.
A useful link on DTF:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5447.0

Tylosaurus

@ RobinGoodfellow

Ah many thanks, that was helpful  8) I Sent the OP of that topic a PM, I'll just keep looking otherwise.
That PNSO Chungkingosaurus would look great on my dining table :D

@ Halichoeres

I look forward to seeing your collection grow even more, this is possibly one of the most complete collections I seen in any Dino based community, keep up the great work buddy :)
Some glass cabinets might be an idea as well, IKEA has some great simply designs, this will also keep your models dust free, thereby making it easier for keeping them clean  8)

Halichoeres

Thanks, Tylo, for the kind words! And thanks, RobinGoodfellow, for the alacrity of your response. I agree that acro-man is probably the way to go for European collectors, although dejankins.com also sells them, which is another option for people in the United States. It is a huge model--if you measure along the spine and follow its curves, it's about 55 cm.

I also appreciate the glass cabinet suggestion. One day I will almost certainly go that route. However, I expect to move in the next year or so for work, so I would prefer to not buy new furniture until I know where I will be living.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2017, 03:08:16 PM
Thanks, Tylo, for the kind words! And thanks, RobinGoodfellow, for the alacrity of your response. I agree that acro-man is probably the way to go for European collectors, although dejankins.com also sells them, which is another option for people in the United States. It is a huge model--if you measure along the spine and follow its curves, it's about 55 cm.

I also appreciate the glass cabinet suggestion. One day I will almost certainly go that route. However, I expect to move in the next year or so for work, so I would prefer to not buy new furniture until I know where I will be living.
Hey no worries man all the effort you put in on just showing your entire armada of Dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals this topic is in my favorite list of hot topics  xD
You do well that I have seen, keep em coming man and many thanks for helping me out about the Chungkingosaurus Robin, I think I struck Gold!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on March 23, 2017, 05:12:09 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 22, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Captorhinus (Early Permian) by an unknown maker. Darren Naish calls it a rhynchosaur in a blog post about his animal collection, but a thread on the old DTF reports that people have seen it marked Captorhinus on packages. It works equally poorly as either, and I already have a rhynchosaur, so I continue to call this one a Captorhinus. I'd like more figures of both rhynchosaurs and captorhinids, of course. About 1:11.

I've always referred to the two versions that I have as rhynchosaurs as well. I guess if you squished it a little, it could be more captorhinish

"Captorhinish" is my new favorite coinage.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Oryctodromeus from Takara Tomy's Dinosaur Train line. Non-crested neornithischians are rarely made, despite there being, many, many well-studied genera. So I bought this guy on the assumption that a better version will not soon be forthcoming. About 1:20.

Zhejiangopterus from the same line. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of what people thought they knew about azhdarchids was based on this animal, which is more completely known than other members of the group. I'd rather have a good version of this guy than the umpteenth Quetzalcoatlus, although I suppose I could just use one of the smaller Quetz figures as a stand-in. It always feels like cheating when I do that. About 1:25, so a big pterosaur, just not gigantic.

Safari Great Dinos Therizinosaurus. Therizinosaurus is one of those animals that's made often, but every time there's something just slightly wrong with it. As far as I know, the Kaiyodo, this one, and the CollectA standard are the only ones that have four weight-bearing toes. This one has too large a head, and I think its neck is also too long. I got this as a gift from a paleontologist friend of mine, and he could have done much worse. Its being a gift guarantees it a permanent place on my shelf regardless of what may come down the pike in the future. About 1:30.

CollectA Deinocheirus (2017 Deluxe version). This figure has a more natural posture than the 2016 version, and scales better with the rest of my collection. Both versions have footprints in front of their trailing feet, of varying sizes, so maybe CollectA means to portray them as part of a herd, maybe to get us all to buy half a dozen of each. Last year's version does work pretty well as the subadult specimen. As the large adult, this one is about 1:35.

Sometimes I just can't help myself. This Segnosaurus (Christian name "Sid") was part of a line called "Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs" by Mattel. The only other Segnosaurus I've heard of is a remote-controlled version by Disga. Not sure which is worse. The Disga version is a quadruped. On the other hand, this one is wearing glasses, for Chrissake.
EDIT: This is a Scelidosaurus, not a Segnosaurus, as raptor64870 points out below.

CollectA Regaliceratops. Even though this is the weakest of CollectA's 2017 ceratopsians, it's still quite good, and better than last year's Mercuriceratops. And it's an animal known from an entire skull! More like this, CollectA, though I could do without the tail bristles. About 1:35.

Kanna Dinosaur Center Tsintaosaurus, based on the Prieto-Márquez & Wagner reconstruction, which sort of interpolated what they saw as the likeliest curve that would connect two disjunct parts of the crest (the premaxilla was found separately from the well known spike, which was formed largely from the nasal). About 1:40.

Centrosaurus, part of a line called "The Real Dinosaurs" with sculpts by Máximo Salas. There were five dinosaurs, released in 1993, and not too bad for the time. About 1:45.

This line was made by a company called Inyector (which is, as you might guess, Spanish for "injector," suggesting a dedicated plastics company) in suburban Monterrey, Nuevo León. I am normally an incorrigible package-opener, but somebody went to the trouble of keeping this mint on card for 24 friggin' years, so I guess I can control myself, especially since it seems extremely likely that someone will make a good Centrosaurus in the next couple of years (I dearly hope it's Safari).

The Atroxious

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 03, 2017, 01:39:58 AM

Sometimes I just can't help myself. This Segnosaurus (Christian name "Sid") was part of a line called "Harry and his Bucketful of Dinosaurs" by Mattel. The only other Segnosaurus I've heard of is a remote-controlled version by Disga. Not sure which is worse. The Disga version is a quadruped. On the other hand, this one is wearing glasses, for Chrissake.

This one actually made me laugh. I'm not above collecting dopey looking figures of my favorite genera (I bought the ridiculous Lion Guard vulture and have yet to regret it) so I can appreciate this. I mean, at least that Segnosaurus has spines, I guess? Kinda-sorta? It looks more like a hyper-stylised Dimetrodon, but still, it's the first therizinosaur figure I know of that has spines, so I've gotta give it credit.

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

LophoLeeVT

:o wait.... I used to watch the series as a little kid , at its NOT a Segnosaurus....
Its a scelidosaurus. ;) ;)
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Halichoeres

Quote from: The Atroxious on April 03, 2017, 02:19:55 AM
This one actually made me laugh. I'm not above collecting dopey looking figures of my favorite genera (I bought the ridiculous Lion Guard vulture and have yet to regret it) so I can appreciate this. I mean, at least that Segnosaurus has spines, I guess? Kinda-sorta? It looks more like a hyper-stylised Dimetrodon, but still, it's the first therizinosaur figure I know of that has spines, so I've gotta give it credit.

The facial expression is pure gold. It's so obstinate. I looked up that Lion Guard vulture and yeah, similar level of goofiness.

Quote from: raptor64870 on April 03, 2017, 09:20:04 AM
:o wait.... I used to watch the series as a little kid , at its NOT a Segnosaurus....
Its a scelidosaurus. ;) ;)

I'll be damned! You're completely right, as the theme song makes abundantly clear. That explains the spines. I don't remember exactly where I bought these now, but I was sure it was billed as a Segnosaurus. Also, I was misled by the bipedality and the long neck, but it would seem the characters just use whatever number of legs is most convenient for the script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOxyiky9dRM

CrypticPrism

I like how you guys grew up with stuff that probably focused in your interest on dinosaur, when I grew up with this nightmarish creation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ichQOqbewA&ebc=ANyPxKomwUxBzRIDVODF0Zv2kq6iYLK2poQoVZbnxUTP0M-62gDdKQfku2k5Gg0Xi5jeDZeu-KWj

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."

BlueKrono

Scelidosaurus - the most amorphous dinosaur ever, able to fit itself into any family of dinosaur at will.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

Centrosaurus, part of a line called "The Real Dinosaurs" with sculpts by Máximo Salas. There were five dinosaurs, released in 1993, and not too bad for the time. About 1:45.

This line was made by a company called Inyector (which is, as you might guess, Spanish for "injector," suggesting a dedicated plastics company) in suburban Monterrey, Nuevo León. I am normally an incorrigible package-opener, but somebody went to the trouble of keeping this mint on card for 24 friggin' years, so I guess I can control myself, especially since it seems extremely likely that someone will make a good Centrosaurus in the next couple of years (I dearly hope it's Safari).

Very cool find!  And I imagine a good Centrosaurus will be made for the next Beasts of the Mesozoic series.

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 03, 2017, 02:36:04 AM
Why would a therizinosaur have spines?

The only therizinosaur with its integument extensively preserved is Beipiaosaurus.  Beipiaosaurus is covered in simple feathers, but also longer, fairly stiff single-filament feathers that rise out from the other feathers covering its body.  There's a summary of it on the Beipiaosaurus Wikipedia page.

I wonder if these longer spine-like feathers of Beipiaosaurus had a defensive function, and how many therizinosaurs had them.  I don't think there are any therizinosaur figures that have these feathers.  I think a therizinosaur figure with these spine-like feathers would be very interesting and unique.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2017, 10:29:26 PM
Quote from: SBell on March 23, 2017, 05:12:09 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 22, 2017, 10:02:07 PM

Captorhinus (Early Permian) by an unknown maker. Darren Naish calls it a rhynchosaur in a blog post about his animal collection, but a thread on the old DTF reports that people have seen it marked Captorhinus on packages. It works equally poorly as either, and I already have a rhynchosaur, so I continue to call this one a Captorhinus. I'd like more figures of both rhynchosaurs and captorhinids, of course. About 1:11.

I've always referred to the two versions that I have as rhynchosaurs as well. I guess if you squished it a little, it could be more captorhinish

"Captorhinish" is my new favorite coinage.

Sometimes we just need to change the language! It could also be used to describe a person...but wouldn't be very nice.

Zhejiangopterus from the same line. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of what people thought they knew about azhdarchids was based on this animal, which is more completely known than other members of the group. I'd rather have a good version of this guy than the umpteenth Quetzalcoatlus, although I suppose I could just use one of the smaller Quetz figures as a stand-in. It always feels like cheating when I do that. About 1:25, so a big pterosaur, just not gigantic.

I have several DT figures, but was not aware of the Zhejiangoopterus. Is it from a later release? I honestly hadn't heard much from the toys for some time.

Personally, I'm a bit of a sucker for the stylized and overly-colorful dino toys (hence, my frustration that I cannot complete the Series 2 Dinosaur King toys  >:()

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 24, 2017, 05:44:45 PM

Permian & Triassic, 1:18-1:30

May I ask... that dinosaur right hand to the Postosuchus, I'vee seen that before, is it some Kaiyodo Expo figure?

Halichoeres

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 03, 2017, 03:10:47 PM
I like how you guys grew up with stuff that probably focused in your interest on dinosaur, when I grew up with this nightmarish creation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ichQOqbewA&ebc=ANyPxKomwUxBzRIDVODF0Zv2kq6iYLK2poQoVZbnxUTP0M-62gDdKQfku2k5Gg0Xi5jeDZeu-KWj

I was about 6 when Land Before Time came out, and about 11 when Jurassic Park came out. But I also grew up with parents who think a 40-day flood killed all the dinosaurs at once. You win some, you lose some.

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 03, 2017, 05:43:49 PM
Scelidosaurus - the most amorphous dinosaur ever, able to fit itself into any family of dinosaur at will.

Really difficult to believe that this and the Invicta represent the same source material. But maybe you're onto something, and it's just the T-1000 of dinosaurs.

Quote from: Sim on April 03, 2017, 07:05:05 PM

Very cool find!  And I imagine a good Centrosaurus will be made for the next Beasts of the Mesozoic series.

Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 03, 2017, 02:36:04 AM
Why would a therizinosaur have spines?

The only therizinosaur with its integument extensively preserved is Beipiaosaurus.  Beipiaosaurus is covered in simple feathers, but also longer, fairly stiff single-filament feathers that rise out from the other feathers covering its body.  There's a summary of it on the Beipiaosaurus Wikipedia page.

I wonder if these longer spine-like feathers of Beipiaosaurus had a defensive function, and how many therizinosaurs had them.  I don't think there are any therizinosaur figures that have these feathers.  I think a therizinosaur figure with these spine-like feathers would be very interesting and unique.

Thanks! I was stoked to find it, almost as stoked as if I'd found the Kokoro, which I've been looking for for a while. I'm sure the BotM version will be very nice, but if Safari releases one first, that will win based on space considerations.

That's interesting about the spiny feathers of Beipiaosaurus, I remembered reading about the extra long feathers but had forgotten. It's easy to imagine them working like tarantula hairs, maybe they were hollow in part to house some urticating fluid.

Quote from: SBell on April 03, 2017, 09:36:35 PM

I have several DT figures, but was not aware of the Zhejiangoopterus. Is it from a later release? I honestly hadn't heard much from the toys for some time.

Personally, I'm a bit of a sucker for the stylized and overly-colorful dino toys (hence, my frustration that I cannot complete the Series 2 Dinosaur King toys  >:()

They for sure have their charms. This one was part of a multi-pack that included five pterosaurs and five feathered dinosaurs, including a Confuciusornis, called "Take Flight." It's stamped 2010 just like all the other DT figures I have, so I don't think it's a later release, but it might have been more limited. I bought this on eBay, whereas I was able to get almost all my other DT figures on Amazon.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 03, 2017, 10:25:49 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 24, 2017, 05:44:45 PM

Permian & Triassic, 1:18-1:30

May I ask... that dinosaur right hand to the Postosuchus, I'vee seen that before, is it some Kaiyodo Expo figure?

That's the Herrerasaurus from the Dawn of the Dinosaurs exhibit in Tokyo from 2010 (I'm 90% sure on the year). I don't know who made it, though. It's a resin figure about 1:20.

BlueKrono

What is the hominid skeletal between the Scutosaurus and Eryops? Fella looks a little out of place.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CrypticPrism

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: