News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Toob Dreams (Pipe Dreams?)

Started by Halichoeres, May 06, 2015, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

The original Dinosaur toob, the Carnivorous Dino Toob and Sue & her Friends have figures in common, with the last of these three being released in 2005. Since then all toobs had completely original figures.
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/safariToob.html
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2015, 12:17:14 PM
That and Henodus was already in the marine reptiles toob. Does Safari usually put the same figure in two toobs?

They only seem to have done it in the older toobs (older dinos toobs, sea life toobs, etc). With the more recent premium toobs, I have yet to see repetition. Possibly because the time and expense for the sculpts is much higher than the original ones.

DC

I think this is a great idea.  How about a small theropod toob and a small ornithiscians toob? 
I always liked the Tamiya Mesozoic creatures model that had a selection of the smaller common animals.

For small theropods
Velociraptor
Deinonychus
Eodromeus
coelophysis
Dromesaurus
Ornitholestes
Archaeopteryx
Stokesaurus
Plus so repaints for the other toobs.

For small ornithiscians
Hypsillophodon
Dryosaurus
Psittacosaurus
Thescolosaurus
Micropachycephalsosaurus
Scuttelosaurus
Eoraptor as a small sauropodomorph

Small enough to scale with the Wild Safari.

You can never have too many dinosaurs

SBell

Quote from: DC on May 15, 2015, 07:44:04 PM
I think this is a great idea.  How about a small theropod toob and a small ornithiscians toob? 
I always liked the Tamiya Mesozoic creatures model that had a selection of the smaller common animals.

For small theropods
Velociraptor
Deinonychus
Eodromeus
coelophysis
Dromesaurus
Ornitholestes
Archaeopteryx
Stokesaurus
Plus so repaints for the other toobs.

For small ornithiscians
Hypsillophodon
Dryosaurus
Psittacosaurus
Thescolosaurus
Micropachycephalsosaurus
Scuttelosaurus
Eoraptor as a small sauropodomorph

Small enough to scale with the Wild Safari.

I like the idea, but I would like it as more of a general-fauna small figures set--some mammals, small reptiles, fishes, small dinos/birds, inverts. Maybe base it on specific sites/faunas/localities. Even cooler--some smaller plants to round it out as well.

Halichoeres

I also like that idea. Different lägerstatten, for example. One for the Messel Pits, one for the Jehol, one for Santana, one for Gogo reef...

Small plants like ferns and horsetails, small animals like mammals, lizards, stem tuataras, birds (Confuciusornis?). I'm into it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 17, 2015, 08:39:59 PM
I also like that idea. Different lägerstatten, for example. One for the Messel Pits, one for the Jehol, one for Santana, one for Gogo reef...

Small plants like ferns and horsetails, small animals like mammals, lizards, stem tuataras, birds (Confuciusornis?). I'm into it.

Oh, and Green River! And Ceara, Ariape (Brazil). And Ashfall! And Agate Springs! And lots of others that I can't remember. Really, there are tons. I remember throwing that out to Randy (DC) to pass on to Safari many years back--about 7-8 years ago, maybe longer. I still think it's a good idea!

Brachiosaurus

Anything with a 1:40 scale Tiktaalik

terrorchicken

recently extinct species toob:

quagga
thylacine
moa
great auk
dodo
stellars sea cow
javan tiger
yangtze river dolphin

SBell

Quote from: Brachiosaurus on June 01, 2015, 03:25:37 AM
Anything with a 1:40 scale Tiktaalik

^This.

Because my Shapeways one is not quite perfect, and is certainly not a toy.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 06, 2015, 07:46:23 PM
Unfortunately they already used the name Dawn of the Dinosaurs, so I would like to solicit a name for the following set (some of these predate dinosaurs anyway):
Eoraptor
Saltopus
Lagosuchus
Proganochelys
Cynognathus
Scaphonyx
Estemmenosuchus
Lycaenops
Kannemeyeria
Cotylorhynchus

Additions and revisions welcome!

Might I suggest "Triassic Life (or Creatures)" as an alternative title?

Quote from: terrorchicken on June 26, 2015, 06:16:23 PM
recently extinct species toob:

quagga
thylacine
moa
great auk
dodo
stellars sea cow
javan tiger
yangtze river dolphin

YES

I agree with those who say a pterosaur toob would be logistically difficult. They managed to fit a Pteronodon in some of their toobs, but it's relatively non-descript, and once you start adding long-necked azhdarchids, long-tailed rhamphorynchids, and anything with crazy crests, the toob gets real crowded real quick.

As far as suggestions of my own, I would LOVE to see a Permian Life Toob and a Prehistoric Whales Toob.
Permian:
- Dimetrodon
- Edaphosaurus
- Sphenacodon
- Eryops
- Inostrancevia
- Thrinaxodon (survived the End-Permian extinction!!!!)
- Scutosaurus (though the pre-existing Safari model is already nice enough)
- They can reuse the Xenacanthus from the Prehistoric Sharks Toob if they're feeling cheap (it's been suggested as an occasional prey item for Dimetrodon

Prehistoric Whales Toob
- Indohyus
- Pakicetus
- Ambulocetus
- Kutchicetus
- Maiacetus
- Dorudon
- Livyatan melvillei
- They could re-use the Basilosaurus from the Prehistoric Sea Creatures Toob if they need another species to pad this one out

Halichoeres

I like the Triassic Life name, although a few are Permian and would fit more readily in the toob you suggest.

I agree pterosaurs would be difficult for a standard toob, but I think you could market a pterosaur mega-toob!

I think the whale toob you mention is one of several "Evolution of X" possibilities that would be really cool, showing transitional forms that gave rise to important groups like tetrapods, turtles, mammals, primates, etc.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

stargatedalek

If you made a toob of walking pterosaurs that could solve the issue.

terrorchicken

QuoteI think the whale toob you mention is one of several "Evolution of X" possibilities that would be really cool, showing transitional forms that gave rise to important groups like tetrapods, turtles, mammals, primates, etc

omg I would love to see one of these for horses!

Plasticbeast95

Note, I have not kept up with Toob news, so if any of the species listed are in existing Toobs, I apologize.

Proto-mammal Paradise:

Lystrosaurus
Inostrancevia
Moschops
Pristerognathus
Raranimus
Estemmenosuchus
Cynognathus

Proboscidean Parade:

Elephas recki (aka Palaeoloxodon recki)
Mammuthus columbi
Mammut americanum
Deinotherium giganteum
Amebelodon  fricki
Moeritherium  trigodon

123hellobgbg

Remember, safari ltd is not just making it for you guys, but also for children as well ;)

terrorchicken

I wonder why they didnt include opabinia in the Cambrian life toob...

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: 123hellobgbg on July 16, 2015, 05:16:45 PM
Remember, safari ltd is not just making it for you guys, but also for children as well ;)

but mostly us ;)

DTRobers

I agree with CityRaptor that retro toobs would be great.  Might be licensing issues with Knight or Zellinger figures but a Crystal Palace menagerie should be possible.

And while we are dreaming - how about a toob devoted to the fauna of Conan Doyle's "The Lost World"?  Iguanadons, Pleisiosaurs, Pterodactyls, and the hopping horror that pursues Malone through the forest at night.  Heck, throw in an apeman or two!

Halichoeres

Those are cool ideas, but I'm not sure Safari is the outfit to produce them--aren't they at least trying to maintain a veneer of educational value? Not to say I would mind seeing a line of Crystal Palace miniatures, just not sure I'd expect them from Safari.

Fluffysaurus

The extinct by mankind toob, could be lots of creatures like dodo and tasmanian devil.
Ancient crawlers a prehistoric bug toob.
Pterosaurus toob
Brawling dinosaur toob.
Baby dinosaur toob.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: