News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T. Rex Autopsy Preview

Started by suspsy, May 26, 2015, 08:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Derek.McManus

I have already got this show saved in my planner and am looking forward to seeing it!

suspsy

Yutyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on June 08, 2015, 02:02:26 AM
I'm watching it now!  :D
As am I :). Also, did anyone else watch Ultimate Dino Survivor? It was on just before T-rex Autopsy started, and it was talking about how Tyrannosaurus individuals seem to have frequently survived very serious injuries (as I recall it talked about Wyrex having half of its tail bitten off).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Takama

I just stated watching it now while it was in progress.  I'm hooked now

suspsy

This is certainly is a gory program. I'm enjoying every minute, but I doubt I could get away with showing it in a classroom.

Takama

I wonder how they made a full sized trex. With organs and blood and how long it took to make it.  I assume that trex cost a lot to create

EmperorDinobot

This is the silliest thing I have ever watched.

At least it's better than Phil Robertson, Honey Boo Boo Child and the rabbits that are currently embroiled in some sort of scandal.

Nat-Geo still has some level of self-respect, and the show that came before the autopsy about T.rex survival was pretty good with nice reconstructions as well.

"Look at all that blood!" - Tim

Takama

I thought it was good.   I hope they release it on DVD so i can Watch it whenever i need to reference something.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe it will appear online..I don't have cable anymore but perhaps it will end up on netflix.

suspsy

I didn't find anything silly about it. I found it very informative. Nothing particularly revolutionary in terms of what we know about T. rex, but it was very cool to see the dimensions of all those organs. One thing is certain: NG has put Discovery to shame.

I wonder if NG is planning on making this into a series. We could get Triceratops Autopsy next year. Or Brontosaurus Autopsy.

Arul

Quote from: Takama on June 08, 2015, 06:29:32 AM
I thought it was good.   I hope they release it on DVD so i can Watch it whenever i need to reference something.

Yes i hope so, with indonesian subtitle

stargatedalek

They may have put Discovery to shame, but I wouldn't argue that that's a difficult thing to do, considering channels like The Fishing Network and OLN frequently manage to show programs with more environmental knowledge than Discovery Channel or Animal Planet. I have to agree with EmperorDinobot in that I found it felt forced and it definitely felt very fake overall.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 08, 2015, 08:27:40 PM
They may have put Discovery to shame, but I wouldn't argue that that's a difficult thing to do, considering channels like The Fishing Network and OLN frequently manage to show programs with more environmental knowledge than Discovery Channel or Animal Planet. I have to agree with EmperorDinobot in that I found it felt forced and it definitely felt very fake overall.

I said it was the silliest thing I have ever watched. Nothing more.

I felt the reconstruction of the T.rex was amazing and the sculpture was tremendously ingenious and realistic.

Discovery, TLC and Animal Planet focus on "Redneck Culture Worship" shows nowdays, or things like "Naked and Afraid" which is THE WORST THING EVER.

Meso-Cenozoic

Well, I watched it too.

The good.... I agree that the overall sculpt was amazing! Although, I did think the brow bones over the eyes were ridiculously huge. They put JP's to shame! Hehe!

The bad...... I thought the CGI T. rex was not as good. His head was so puny, and the back of his jaws so narrow. Also, were these guys actors? I think so, right? And not very good either. The paleo guy really started to bug me!

Even though I found it fascinating to watch, I'm not quite sure of the point of all of it. All of their "findings" are still in reality just scientific speculations on most counts. It could be very misleading for young new dino lovers to see this program and take it for scientific facts! Not good.

On the other hand, it repeats again on Thursday on NatGeo Wild. I'll probably watch it again. LOL!

I did see the other special about T. rex injuries and how they could sometimes heal and survive them. I found that very fascinating!

stargatedalek

I was talking about the acting/writing. I thought the effects themselves were really well done.

suspsy

If you take scientific speculation out of the equation, then there really isn't any point to a dinosaur documentary. For that matter, there really isn't any point to paleontology. Were the T. Rex's internal organs 100% supported by physical evidence? Of course not. Is it reasonable to surmise that they were similar to a bird's? Absolutely it is.

Honestly, and I'm not singling out anyone in particular here, I feel dinosaur fans who are nitpicking over this program are being overly harsh. The fact is, T. Rex Autopsy was head, shoulders, and butt above most of the recent dinosaur programs I've seen. This is the kind of program there needs to be more of in order to attract attention to paleontology, both from kids and adults. Darren Naish phrased it a lot better than me in a Facebook thread today:

QuoteWell, I was way more impressed that I expected to be. I don't care too much about the little things we can all point out -- again, the lesson here is that we need more TV like this... can you imagine how happy we'd be if stuff like this was a regular thing? That it replaced 'ice road fisher-diggers' and all that 'panaromal' s*** on the 'documentary' networks? Hell, if enough of these things happened many, many of us involved in the work of research and science might even get to talk about, or share our enthusiasm for, the stuff we love. So DON'T complain -- tell your non-scientifically-inclined friends/family, and help MORE of this stuff get made! I always hoped that Inside Nature's Giants - which was brilliant, award-winning, and critically well received - would make TV execs realise that >>this stuff works if done right<<.... and I totally think that T. rex Autopsy helped carry things forwards...

Amen!

suspsy

Oh, and none of those people were actors, Meso-Cenozoic. Look it up on NatGeo's website. Three legitimate paleontologists and a veterinarian.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: suspsy on June 09, 2015, 02:42:53 AM
Oh, and none of those people were actors, Meso-Cenozoic. Look it up on NatGeo's website. Three legitimate paleontologists and a veterinarian.

That explains why they couldn't act! :)
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: