News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Interview with Papo sculptor (info on upcoming pieces)

Started by Dyscrasia, May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

I tend to shy away from religion vs. science debate.  Some people just don't want to learn with an open mind.  That being said, I'd love to visit your park some day.  ;)

As for the Papo debate, I hope one day we seen them make both an accurate line and a fantasy/film line.  This way everyone is happy.  If one or the other doesn't sell well, then that's business I suppose.

I love the current Papo figures, but that doesn't mean the current line up can't expand.  Their sculptor is one of the best in the business. 

Viking Spawn

Does anyone have a pic of the new Papo limited edition T-Rex/Raptor TRU exclusive?  I remember seeing an image of the box set somewhere, I just don't remember where?    :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on August 07, 2015, 12:56:34 PM
Ugh. Sorry you had to deal with such silliness, Blade.
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 07, 2015, 02:29:39 PM

I have great sympathy for both you and that kid. My parents are just like that grandmother.

Quote from: Dilopho on August 07, 2015, 04:45:49 PM

Once I met a person who thought dinosaurs didn't exist. As in, they didn't believe in dinosaurs.
At least you guys' relatives know that they exist!

Quote from: Viking Spawn on August 07, 2015, 05:37:56 PM
I tend to shy away from religion vs. science debate.  Some people just don't want to learn with an open mind.  That being said, I'd love to visit your park some day.  ;)

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the sympathetic ear.  You guys certainly have mine as well when it's needed. It's rough thinking one thing and having  to say another or being PC all the time.  Thanks.

I have used many Carnegie pieces to show the feather/reptile hide differences in talks. If Papo makes a really accurate Raptor that along with the JP one will make a great contrast/comparison teaching tool too.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 09:46:54 AM
I had a grandmother and a nephew come to the park last week, we talked about the Dimetrodon and I pointed out the neat fact it's related to us and how. She snapped back " That's not true! Don't you listen to that. I believe God made us from Adam and Eve. I backed off apologizing, saying I was sorry and I believed everyone was entitled to believe what they wished. She agreed.
I would have asked her how Noah managed all that Argentinasaurus poop on the ark? lol. In all seriousness it's funny you mention that story because it was creationists I had in mind when I mentioned my embarrassment over admitting that I hoped Papo didn't go for accurate raptors - letting my emotional needs dictate what I would like to see a raptor look like rather than just looking at it for what it was. I do have my limits though - I have no desire to see Jurassic World because of how absurdly far fetched the "dinosaurs" are becoming.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2015, 01:59:02 AM
But I also love birds, and am an avid bird watcher. When I see birds, I see dinosaurs. So to me it is important that the dinosaurs most closely related to birds actually look like birds, because they probably did. And for those who have a hard time equating birds with dinosaurs I think proper feathered dinosaurs reconstructions are important for truly bringing the concept home. Try watching a few bird videos on Youtube, particularly of raptors hunting, I think you'll find yourself easily converted!

That's my problem. My favorite group of animals has always been reptiles and amphibians - I'm looking at my spotted Python as we speak  ;) next favorite would be arachnids, then fish, then crustaceans, then mammals and so on and so on until we reached birds at the very bottom of the list. As a matter of fact, my love of herpetology led me to the dinosaurs, which are becoming more and more "birdy" the older I get  :-\ Perhaps you're right about watching bird videos on YouTube - I am strangely fascinated with the Moa bird of New Zealand, so maybe I'll start there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gwangi

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 07, 2015, 07:37:30 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2015, 01:59:02 AM
But I also love birds, and am an avid bird watcher. When I see birds, I see dinosaurs. So to me it is important that the dinosaurs most closely related to birds actually look like birds, because they probably did. And for those who have a hard time equating birds with dinosaurs I think proper feathered dinosaurs reconstructions are important for truly bringing the concept home. Try watching a few bird videos on Youtube, particularly of raptors hunting, I think you'll find yourself easily converted!

That's my problem. My favorite group of animals has always been reptiles and amphibians - I'm looking at my spotted Python as we speak  ;) next favorite would be arachnids, then fish, then crustaceans, then mammals and so on and so on until we reached birds at the very bottom of the list. As a matter of fact, my love of herpetology led me to the dinosaurs, which are becoming more and more "birdy" the older I get  :-\ Perhaps you're right about watching bird videos on YouTube - I am strangely fascinated with the Moa bird of New Zealand, so maybe I'll start there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm also a reptile enthusiast. In fact, I have 7 pet snakes, 8 lizards (plus offspring) and three turtles among some amphibians as well. Birds? I have two parakeets, they technically belong to my wife! So clearly at least as far as pets are concerned, I prefer reptiles over avian-dinosaurs. But I can't pick favorites among animals anyway, they're all fascinating and birds are especially fascinating. I get that the reptilian nature of dinosaurs is appealing to people, especially those with a love for reptiles. But really, what are birds but reptiles? Quite distinct reptiles I'll grant you that but still reptiles, with a host of unique behaviors and attributes. I really think anyone interested in dinosaurs owes it to themselves to learn about their living forms. Moas are a great place to start! As are raptors, cassowaries and other predatory and/or large birds that are a bit more "dinosaur-like" in nature.

Dobber

Quote from: Viking Spawn on August 07, 2015, 06:33:32 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the new Papo limited edition T-Rex/Raptor TRU exclusive?  I remember seeing an image of the box set somewhere, I just don't remember where?    :-\

Is this what you are looking for? From the Papo- new for 2015 thread
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on July 30, 2015, 08:59:27 AM
Facebook photo album of the repainted T. rex and Raptor!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1615324032079624.1073741831.1565285753750119&type=3&uploaded=20

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2015, 07:45:56 PM
But really, what are birds but reptiles? Quite distinct reptiles I'll grant you that but still reptiles, with a host of unique behaviors and attributes.

This is true. Our need to categorize animals into certain groups doesn't allow us to fully appreciate the nature of evolution, and how all animals are related to each other in some way, and are in a constant state of change.

Monkeysaurus

Nice find Dobber. Who's Facebook page is that, and would you happen to know where they got those? Thanks

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Dobber on August 07, 2015, 09:08:58 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on August 07, 2015, 06:33:32 PM

Is this what you are looking for? From the Papo- new for 2015 thread
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on July 30, 2015, 08:59:27 AM
Facebook photo album of the repainted T. rex and Raptor!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1615324032079624.1073741831.1565285753750119&type=3&uploaded=20

Chris

That's it!  Thank you Chris!   :)

Dobber

You're very welcome...though Mauro "Raptor86" found it in the first place.

@ Monkeysaurous, not sure.....I think it is from Korea though.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Jetoar

Scheme color of new T-rex is really similar to TLW Parasaurolophus  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Dilopho

The new T. rex repaint bugs me. Why not do that to the running rex as well?
Why can't we have a green sitting rex? Or a brown running rex? You gave us both babies, why not both parents, so we can have an all-matching colour family?
I know there would be sexual dimorphism in the colours (probably) but I doubt they would change colour entirely!

I hope the new raptor will have colours that at least somewhat match the current raptor if it turns out with a JP-type body. F)

Uroplatus

Quote from: Dilopho on August 09, 2015, 02:24:08 PM
The new T. rex repaint bugs me. Why not do that to the running rex as well?
Why can't we have a green sitting rex? Or a brown running rex? You gave us both babies, why not both parents, so we can have an all-matching colour family?
I know there would be sexual dimorphism in the colours (probably) but I doubt they would change colour entirely!

I hope the new raptor will have colours that at least somewhat match the current raptor if it turns out with a JP-type body. F)

They did a green sitting rex and a brown running rex, though the first is long retired and the second was a store exclusive if i'm not mistaken.

Dilopho

Anyway, getting back on topic, Papo has a lot to do if they want to do a good feathered raptor. Even Chap Mei, which produces the most monstrous dinosaurs you'll ever see, pumped out this beautiful raptor:

So Papo really needs to show what they can really do. They made that great Archeopteryx (let's not dwell on the bald head), and we know how amazing those feathers were done, so I hope they can produce something like Chap Mei but more detailed.
(Side note: I think Chap Mei must listen to collectors. They have also started releasing lesser-known dinosaurs like Suchomimids and Therizinosaurs, and more beautiful feathered raptors. Sure, they're no collector's piece, but you know something isn't right when Chap Mei out-does Carnegie and Bullyland with feather placement. Well, almost.)

Appalachiosaurus

I really hope they don't do the "wings, but with hands!" like Chap mei...

Patrx

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on August 10, 2015, 11:00:48 AM
I really hope they don't do the "wings, but with hands!" like Chap mei...

REBOR made the same error. I'm afraid it's pretty common. However, Papo's Archaeopteryx does have properly formed wings, so perhaps there's hope?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dilopho on August 10, 2015, 10:06:48 AM
Anyway, getting back on topic, Papo has a lot to do if they want to do a good feathered raptor. Even Chap Mei, which produces the most monstrous dinosaurs you'll ever see, pumped out this beautiful raptor:

I'd never seen that Chap Mei! It's sort of adorable.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

me neither! I used to have several chap meis but now only have the parasaurolophus and oviraptor. I just cant stand how every dinosaur of theirs has to have cartoony teeth. But I like how theyll do some unconventional species like the little gastornis and the ichthyosaur...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: