News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Interview with Papo sculptor (info on upcoming pieces)

Started by Dyscrasia, May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

I think the PAPO feathered velociraptor might look something like this, a 'Nova raptor' from the videogame Primal Carnage.
Maybe with a little less arm feathers, though, you know PAPO...
I would be very happy with something like that!

Monkeysaurus

Interesting interview, and many thanks for the translation. Gomapseumnida! (Thank you very much in Korean). I'm probably in the slim minority here in that I hope Papo doesn't start making scientifically accurate feathered dinosaurs. I prefer the bald "velociraptor" JP clone any day over the real animal, regardless of the fact that it never existed in that form. I wish I could share all of your enthusiasm for accuracy, and am even a little embarrassed for admitting that I don't :/ On that note, I wonder how well an accurate Papo Velociraptor would do in the market vs. the current one. That would be a good indicator, I think, to the general publics priorities in terms of science vs. nostalgia.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

DinoLord

Personally I'd be interested in seeing if they will pull off a truly accurate feathered raptor versus something like one of the feathered abominations that passes off as a feathered dinosaur. The bald Velociraptor lost its allure to me once they went away from the JP paint scheme.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: DinoLord on August 06, 2015, 06:44:31 PM
Personally I'd be interested in seeing if they will pull off a truly accurate feathered raptor versus something like one of the feathered abominations that passes off as a feathered dinosaur.
I would assume the latter. I gather from the way he worded the interview that, while he would prefer to make more scientifically accurate sculpts, there is also pressure from the people who pay his bills to create models that sell. Often times the two are not compatible. When you take a look at the most current and accurate depiction of a Deinonychus it's easy to see why.
It's nearly indistinguishable from a modern bird.

Patrx

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 06, 2015, 09:48:22 PM
I gather from the way he worded the interview that, while he would prefer to make more scientifically accurate sculpts, there is also pressure from the people who pay his bills to create models that sell. Often times the two are not compatible. When you take a look at the most current and accurate depiction of a Deinonychus it's easy to see why.

^ A model like that would absolutely sell. Dinosaur fans have been clamoring for a decent dromaeosaur figure for ages, and everyone else would probably be taken by the novelty of a feathered "raptor" that doesn't look like the unholy offspring of a vulture and a crocodile.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Patrx on August 06, 2015, 10:06:31 PM
^ A model like that would absolutely sell. Dinosaur fans have been clamoring for a decent dromaeosaur figure for ages, and everyone else would probably be taken by the novelty of a feathered "raptor" that doesn't look like the unholy offspring of a vulture and a crocodile.
If the bulk of people who purchased these models consisted of forum members I would agree 100% with that statement. However if we're looking at the big picture and encompassing all of Papo's customers, I have a feeling that it wouldn't fair as well in the market. I don't have any hard evidence to prove that statement, and perhaps I may be projecting a bit my own personal tastes on others, however I do know that Rebor's T-Rex sells out quite often despite the JP influenced, and somewhat innacurate skull. I also notice that the vast majority of people I speak with, who don't know much about dinosaurs, tend to exhibit great dissapointment in many of their accurate depictions.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 06, 2015, 10:32:27 PM
If the bulk of people who purchased these models consisted of forum members I would agree 100% with that statement. However if we're looking at the big picture and encompassing all of Papo's customers, I have a feeling that it wouldn't fair as well in the market. I don't have any hard evidence to prove that statement, and perhaps I may be projecting a bit my own personal tastes on others, however I do know that Rebor's T-Rex sells out quite often despite the JP influenced, and somewhat innacurate skull. I also notice that the vast majority of people I speak with, who don't know much about dinosaurs, tend to exhibit great dissapointment in many of their accurate depictions.

Well there is only one way to see how an accurate feathered dinosaur would sell, and that would be to make one. This might be papo's "experiment". If it does well, we might see more like it, if it completely fails, we may never see a single feather again.

Yutyrannus

I gather from the way he worded the interview that, while he would prefer to make more scientifically accurate sculpts, there is also pressure from the people who pay his bills to create models that sell. Often times the two are not compatible. When you take a look at the most current and accurate depiction of a Deinonychus it's easy to see why.

Exactly, I want to buy dinosaur figures that look like the real animals they were, not some fantasy monsters.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Halichoeres

I would buy a toy that looked like that (the only Velociraptor figures in my collection are the 2015 Carnegie and the Safari feathered dinos toob versions). But I am just one nerd, and while there are plenty of other nerds, there are probably far far more people who think JP raptors look correct, or even if not correct, just plain cool. In that respect I think Monkeysaurus is right: not my style, and maybe not yours, but probably still more likely to catch the eye of casual toy buyers. We'll see, though. I doubt Papo will discontinue the unfeathered version, so it'll be clear pretty quickly which is the better moneymaker.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoLord

Now that I think of it, it wouldn't make much sense for them to come up with something resembling, as Patrick so elegantly put it, "the unholy offspring of a vulture and a crocodile". Such a model wouldn't appeal to accuracy buffs nor those who are after the classic JP raptor look - it would occupy some sort of unfortunate dinosaur toy purgatory.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 06, 2015, 11:21:37 PM
But I am just one nerd, and while there are plenty of other nerds, there are probably far far more people who think JP raptors look correct, or even if not correct, just plain cool.
I happen to be one of those nerds, however one who understands that they're, as Yutrannus puts it - "fantasy monsters." If I could reprogram my brain to find accurate raptors more aesthetically pleasing than those monsters I would do so in a heartbeat, however I can't deny what the heart wants - reptilian raptors that are oversized and too intelligent  :-[
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on August 06, 2015, 10:42:52 PM
Well there is only one way to see how an accurate feathered dinosaur would sell, and that would be to make one. This might be papo's "experiment". If it does well, we might see more like it, if it completely fails, we may never see a single feather again.
You make an excellent point. I've reached this conclusion using biased data - all models thus far have been fairly innacurate, therefore I only have those innacurate models to judge future sale prospects on.

suspsy

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 06, 2015, 10:45:09 PM

Exactly, I want to buy dinosaur figures that look like the real animals they were, not some fantasy monsters.

If Papo put out a toy like this, I'd buy an entire pack.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoLord on August 06, 2015, 11:37:00 PM
Now that I think of it, it wouldn't make much sense for them to come up with something resembling, as Patrick so elegantly put it, "the unholy offspring of a vulture and a crocodile". Such a model wouldn't appeal to accuracy buffs nor those who are after the classic JP raptor look - it would occupy some sort of unfortunate dinosaur toy purgatory.
Maybe you're right, but I daresay their Archaeopteryx is pretty close to that purgatory. Of course I have no idea how its sales look.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 07, 2015, 12:11:36 AM
I happen to be one of those nerds, however one who understands that they're, as Yutrannus puts it - "fantasy monsters." If I could reprogram my brain to find accurate raptors more aesthetically pleasing than those monsters I would do so in a heartbeat, however I can't deny what the heart wants - reptilian raptors that are oversized and too intelligent

The first step in solving a problem, is admitting you have one.

Naw, I'm just kidding. Personally I prefer both variations. The "reptilian" raptors for their nostalgic appeal and the feathered because that's what real dromaeosaurs were like. But I also love birds, and am an avid bird watcher. When I see birds, I see dinosaurs. So to me it is important that the dinosaurs most closely related to birds actually look like birds, because they probably did. And for those who have a hard time equating birds with dinosaurs I think proper feathered dinosaurs reconstructions are important for truly bringing the concept home. Try watching a few bird videos on Youtube, particularly of raptors hunting, I think you'll find yourself easily converted!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dilopho on August 05, 2015, 07:40:27 PM

I think the PAPO feathered velociraptor might look something like this, a 'Nova raptor' from the videogame Primal Carnage.
Maybe with a little less arm feathers, though, you know PAPO...
I would be very happy with something like that!
While I too would be happy about that, I think Papo could do better.  While PC's feathered Novaraptor is pretty good, it does suffer from having its feathers be rather...well, messy.  Smooth them down a bit and you'd probably be on your way.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Patrx

I don't want to give the wrong impression; I'm a big fan of the JP "raptors". I originally joined this forum several years ago trying to find the then-recently retired brown Papo model. But that's just it. The second one looks almost-but-not-quite like the JP3 version, so I didn't really want it. Similarly, anything in between the movie version and a genuine attempt to reconstruct what was basically a group of toothed birds ends up in that "purgatory". Examples include that Novaraptor and Papo's attempt at Archaeopteryx. Totally unappealing, at least to me.
I fully expect Papo's upcoming model will belong in that category as well. If not, I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if so, oh, well. I just won't buy it!  :))
It would, however, be great to see our current understanding of these animals reaching more people.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kid's are pretty accepting so a toy is a good way to start. Parents on the other hand..yeesh.  I had a grandmother and a nephew come to the park last week, we talked about the Dimetrodon and I pointed out the neat fact it's related to us and how. She snapped back " That's not true! Don't you listen to that. I believe God made us from Adam and Eve. I backed off apologizing, saying I was sorry and I believed everyone was entitled to believe what they wished. She agreed. Now last night I hear this one little boy told a friend of ours he can't visit here because " That man says people came from dinosaurs. " Talk about a hair puller. pfff.  Sorry for the rant , this just gave me an opening. No intent to get off on any religious debate. At. All. Just pointing out how kids can think pretty well and will accept new ideas much more readily  from my experience.

suspsy

Ugh. Sorry you had to deal with such silliness, Blade.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 09:46:54 AM
Kid's are pretty accepting so a toy is a good way to start. Parents on the other hand..yeesh.  I had a grandmother and a nephew come to the park last week, we talked about the Dimetrodon and I pointed out the neat fact it's related to us and how. She snapped back " That's not true! Don't you listen to that. I believe God made us from Adam and Eve. I backed off apologizing, saying I was sorry and I believed everyone was entitled to believe what they wished. She agreed. Now last night I hear this one little boy told a friend of ours he can't visit here because " That man says people came from dinosaurs. " Talk about a hair puller. pfff.  Sorry for the rant , this just gave me an opening. No intent to get off on any religious debate. At. All. Just pointing out how kids can think pretty well and will accept new ideas much more readily  from my experience.

I have great sympathy for both you and that kid. My parents are just like that grandmother.

Dilopho

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 07, 2015, 02:29:39 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 07, 2015, 09:46:54 AM

I have great sympathy for both you and that kid. My parents are just like that grandmother.

Once I met a person who thought dinosaurs didn't exist. As in, they didn't believe in dinosaurs.
At least you guys' relatives know that they exist!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: