You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dreadmanes prehistoric photography

Started by dreadmane, May 29, 2015, 05:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoarCrossovers

What camera do you use for your shoots?

dreadmane

Quote from: MoarCrossovers on May 28, 2018, 03:23:37 PM
What camera do you use for your shoots?
I use a Canon 5D mkII with various lenses and a Olympus Tough for underwater shots.
Check out my prehistoric toy/model photography on the Dinosaur Toy Forum here or Instagram here

ceratopsian

I've just been catching up with your latest shots (been on holiday!).  I really enjoyed them.  I love the bright light off to the right and the long shadow in the foreground on "Strider".  The water splash effect in "River Crossing" is superb and the Pentaceratops' expression is perfect for the scene.  I love the lighting and the sense of deep distance off to the left in "Evening Snack", which is partly created by the way the angle of the log draws the eye to the distance.  Perfect positioning of the Dimorphodon too - having some of him "out of shot" makes it look so much more a real shot of a living beast.  The sense of heat in "Strider 2" is palpable.  Great sand effect too in "Showdown".  Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Simon

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Man, I am almost intimidated into not doing the contest this year after seeing those pictures!!!  ;D

The first one - The Theri vs TRex - if that had been submitted for this year's contest, it would have gotten my #1 vote.  Its simple, it has motion, tension, impact and - most of all LIFELIKE realism!!!!!! AMAZING work!  I won't ask how many takes of throwing sand it took to get THAT photo - BUT - I AM asking how exactly you did that effect?  I'm assuming its not digital - or is it???

Simon

No way can my own outdoor photography match up to work like yours ...  ;) ... I might have to try a different concept approach altogether ... lets see if I can get the time to actually do it this year ...  O:-)

dreadmane

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 28, 2018, 04:52:57 PM
I've just been catching up with your latest shots (been on holiday!).  I really enjoyed them.  I love the bright light off to the right and the long shadow in the foreground on "Strider".  The water splash effect in "River Crossing" is superb and the Pentaceratops' expression is perfect for the scene.  I love the lighting and the sense of deep distance off to the left in "Evening Snack", which is partly created by the way the angle of the log draws the eye to the distance.  Perfect positioning of the Dimorphodon too - having some of him "out of shot" makes it look so much more a real shot of a living beast.  The sense of heat in "Strider 2" is palpable.  Great sand effect too in "Showdown".  Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Thank you ceratopsian! Iam flattered :).

Quote from: Simon on May 28, 2018, 11:53:37 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Man, I am almost intimidated into not doing the contest this year after seeing those pictures!!!  ;D

The first one - The Theri vs TRex - if that had been submitted for this year's contest, it would have gotten my #1 vote.  Its simple, it has motion, tension, impact and - most of all LIFELIKE realism!!!!!! AMAZING work!  I won't ask how many takes of throwing sand it took to get THAT photo - BUT - I AM asking how exactly you did that effect?  I'm assuming its not digital - or is it???

Many thanks Simon, Iam glad you like it :)! The sand effect is just what it looks like, sand. It took some time to get the timing, shutter speed and throw angle just right :).

Some more recent shots:

Browsing

Conqueror

Check out my prehistoric toy/model photography on the Dinosaur Toy Forum here or Instagram here

Simon

You've actually managed to get that TRex-like ... THING ... (put out by the "company-whose-name-I-shall-not-speak") to look GOOD!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

I am STUNNED.  You really ARE a great photographer!!!!   ;) ;) ;)

ZoPteryx

Beautiful imagery!  Those sand effects in the earlier post are insanely cool!  :o

dreadmane

Quote from: Simon on May 30, 2018, 02:05:59 AM
You've actually managed to get that TRex-like ... THING ... (put out by the "company-whose-name-I-shall-not-speak") to look GOOD!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

I am STUNNED.  You really ARE a great photographer!!!!   ;) ;) ;)
Thank you Simon, Iam flattered! :).

Quote from: ZoPteryx on May 30, 2018, 02:08:39 AM
Beautiful imagery!  Those sand effects in the earlier post are insanely cool!  :o
Many thanks ZoPteryx! :)

dreadmane

Some Dimorphodon shots:

Climber

Climber #2

IrritatorRaji

Beautiful shots, as always :) I love CollectA's Dimorphodon

Lanthanotus

Nice Dimorphodon shots, best figure of 2017 imo. I got the Rebor Sentry set also just for the purpose of the Protolindenia being prey company to the pterosaur :D

Bokisaurus

Great photos, I love that Dimorphodon a lot ^-^

PhilSauria

Bypassing the rex - which Triceratops is it that you have used in the 'Conqueror' photo?, I don't recognize it off hand.

dreadmane

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on May 30, 2018, 05:36:18 PM
Beautiful shots, as always :) I love CollectA's Dimorphodon
Thank you IrriatorRaji! :)

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 30, 2018, 06:29:52 PM
Nice Dimorphodon shots, best figure of 2017 imo. I got the Rebor Sentry set also just for the purpose of the Protolindenia being prey company to the pterosaur :D
Many thanks Lanthanotus! I totally agree, the Collecta Dimorphodon is Awsome!

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 30, 2018, 07:07:31 PM
Great photos, I love that Dimorphodon a lot ^-^
Thanks Bokisaurus!

Quote from: PhilSauria on May 31, 2018, 06:28:55 AM
Bypassing the rex - which Triceratops is it that you have used in the 'Conqueror' photo?, I don't recognize it off hand.
It is the Rebor Fallen Queen Triceratops replica

dreadmane

I think its time for some prehistoric mammal action photos :).

Overpowered #1-3

PhilSauria

There are a few photographers taking their collection out into the 'real' world, beyond the controlled environment of the room or rooms that the figures may otherwise be displayed in - but I must say the feeling of action that you are achieving really sets these apart! The flying dirt and rocks really sells the conflict here. Nice work!

Andreioli

Beautiful work Dreadmane !
Those are some really cinematic shots.

Now THAT's a movie I want to see  :))

sepp

absolutely gorgeous photography, and awesome composition on all of them :)

dreadmane

Quote from: PhilSauria on May 31, 2018, 10:58:19 AM
There are a few photographers taking their collection out into the 'real' world, beyond the controlled environment of the room or rooms that the figures may otherwise be displayed in - but I must say the feeling of action that you are achieving really sets these apart! The flying dirt and rocks really sells the conflict here. Nice work!
Thank you PhilSauria! :)

Quote from: Andreioli on May 31, 2018, 11:02:54 AM
Beautiful work Dreadmane !
Those are some really cinematic shots.

Now THAT's a movie I want to see  :))
Indeed, would´nt that be something :). Thank you Andreioli!

Quote from: sepp on May 31, 2018, 11:35:07 AM
absolutely gorgeous photography, and awesome composition on all of them :)
Thanks for your compliments sepp! :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: