News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Balaur bondoc is a bird

Started by Balaur, June 18, 2015, 05:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Halichoeres

That is cool! Thanks for sharing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Interesting article - this whole dilemma with Balaur really shows how blurry the dromaeosaur/avialan distinction is! Glad to see some research on the matter.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Patrx on June 18, 2015, 06:25:10 PM
Interesting article - this whole dilemma with Balaur really shows how blurry the dromaeosaur/avialan distinction is! Glad to see some research on the matter.
Also, don't forget there is a similar thing happening with troodonts, a few recent studies have placed them within Avialae :).

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 20, 2015, 05:15:11 AM
Also, don't forget there is a similar thing happening with troodonts, a few recent studies have placed them within Avialae :).

Any links to those studies? It'd be a great help with a project I'm working on.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 20, 2015, 05:18:57 AM

Sorry, I don't remember. I think one of them was linked to on the Hell Creek Forum, however it may be rather difficult to find considering how they reorganized it. Also, I think that the first study to suggest Balaur was an avialan may have shown troodontids to be avialans as well, but I'm not certain.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 20, 2015, 05:24:32 AM
Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 20, 2015, 05:18:57 AM

Sorry, I don't remember. I think one of them was linked to on the Hell Creek Forum, however it may be rather difficult to find considering how they reorganized it. Also, I think that the first study to suggest Balaur was an avialan may have shown troodontids to be avialans as well, but I'm not certain.
Thanks! I'll do some database digging and share what I come up with.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 20, 2015, 05:59:19 AM
Thanks! I'll do some database digging and share what I come up with.
You're welcome, sorry again that I could not be more helpful.

Arul

Tyto_Theropod

Frankly we might as well call all maniraptorans birds, as most of the things people use to describe birds apply to them. The line is certainly a very blurry one, because evolution works that way!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Takama

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 18, 2015, 05:55:44 PM
Don't forget this ;):

Do these birds have actual beaks?  I see no teeth in the top ones mouth.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Takama on June 21, 2015, 06:21:44 AM
Don't forget this ;):

He does have teeth in the picture, they aren't very visible though. I've drawn mine with a beak, however :).

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Takama on June 21, 2015, 06:21:44 AM
Don't forget this ;):

We don't have any skulls unfortunately, but if they're like Jeholornis and Sapeornis, their closest known relatives, they may have had small, blunt teeth for crushing seeds. Some Jeholornis species lack teeth in the front of the jaws and might have had beaks, but there's no reason to think any non-ornithuromorph birds had beaks unless we find evidence for it (Ornithuromorpha is the group of birds with true beaks, though beaks or beak-like structures evolved several times independently in birds, like in Confuciusornis* and maybe Jeholornis.)

*Confuciusornis is sometimes called the "earliest beaked bird" but this is extremely misleading as its beak is not homologous with modern birds any more than the beaks of therizinosaurs or turtles are. The earliest animal with a real bird beak is currently Archaeorhynchus (which, appropriately, means "ancient beak").
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Yutyrannus on June 20, 2015, 06:02:38 AM
You're welcome, sorry again that I could not be more helpful.

Absolutely no need to apologize! I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

stargatedalek

If you want to get slightly speculative here, there's honestly no reason to assume dromaeosaurs couldn't have had a sheath over their exposed snout.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 22, 2015, 02:19:03 PM
If you want to get slightly speculative here, there's honestly no reason to assume dromaeosaurs couldn't have had a sheath over their exposed snout.

There kind of is though, because it would be evolutionarily expensive while serving no benefit. What use would a keratin sheath be that is not going to come in contact with food? How would new teeth grow through it without becoming dulled on the way through?

Greg Paul traditionally Drew dromaeosaurids with proto beaks but this seems to have been for no reason other than to make them look more like neornithes. Same with stopping the feathers in front of the eyes.

stargatedalek

That's way I said over the snout, not inside the jaws. ;)

I don't see whats so wrong with that feather placement? It has evidence to back it up and its been pretty much accepted as the norm. When you say "in front of the eyes" you mean like this correct? http://cdn4.sci-news.com/images/enlarge/image_1630_2e-Acheroraptor.jpg

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 23, 2015, 12:18:18 AM
That's way I said over the snout, not inside the jaws. ;)

I don't see whats so wrong with that feather placement? It has evidence to back it up and its been pretty much accepted as the norm. When you say "in front of the eyes" you mean like this correct? http://cdn4.sci-news.com/images/enlarge/image_1630_2e-Acheroraptor.jpg

I mean more like this, which is how nearly everyone drew 100% of all feathered theropods up until a few years ago.

stargatedalek

Aah yes, the good ol' wet pheasant look! I agree wholeheartedly, I simply can't imagine any reasoning behind that appearance.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: