You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Just saw David's response to Sim's great post on finger feathers vs. scales. Looks like most of the remaining figures not yet prototyped will have feathered fingers. Good work!

Though part of his response shows just how prevalent inaccurate memes are and how hard it is to overcome them:
QuoteI have yet to see evidence or any reconstruction of a dromaeosaur hand without individual digits. Even the birds of this time supposedly had exposed fingers as far as I know.

Of course, pretty much all paleoart shows the birds of that time with exposed fingers. But of course that 1000% wrong. In fact David just got done replying to a post about a *mummified Mesozoic bird in amber* proving that the fingers were not exposed, and showing clear as day that the second two fingers were fused to each other with soft tissue (note: they are not fused with bone, JUST skin). And still... "Even the birds of this time supposedly had exposed fingers". Nope. Nope. Nope.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Thanks Dinoguy2.  I've only just seen your post here.  I replied to David about an hour ago: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/comments

If you or anyone else have thoughts on this you'd like to share with David, please do comment on the Kickstarter.  I imagine David would be interested in hearing what you think.  ...And maybe we can convince him to give feathered hands to the others too. ;)  In case some of the figures have scaly hands, is there any reason this could be plausible for the real animals?

Dobber

That was my question that David replied to about when the fingers went from individual digits to to being covered with skin and feathers. Dromeosaur fingers just look so odd to me and we know at some point they get covered up so...

Not saying David is wrong, I was just thinking "out loud" more or less. ???

I'm definitely looking forward to the next update. Can't wait to see Adasaurus all painted up!

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dobber

SQUEEEEEE!!! From Creative beasts Facebook page.

Adasaurus (left), Dromeosaurus (right)

I Love how these 2 are looking, particularly Dromeosaurus! Update tomorrow

Chris

Shadowknight1

After reading that Balaur and Zhenyuanlong are sharing wings, I'm starting to lean away from Balaur a bit as I kind of want my three raptors to be as unique from each other as possible.  Now I'm torn between Adasaurus, Dromeosaurus(fan choice), and Pyroraptor(fan choice).
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Flaffy

I was a little disappointed that zhenyuanlong was sharing primaries with balaur...
BTW here is a new image of zhenyuanlong (top) and Acheroraptor's (bottom) head sculpts.

I would've liked more feathers on the zhenyuanlong's head as shown in david's concept art as shown here:

I hope david will reconsider making the zhenyuanlong fluffier. So far it looks like atrociraptor with more downy feathers, zhenyuanlong was my favourite as it looked distinct from the others, mainly because it was soooo fluffy!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 16, 2016, 05:54:01 AM
I was a little disappointed that zhenyuanlong was sharing primaries with balaur...
BTW here is a new image of zhenyuanlong (top) and Acheroraptor's (bottom) head sculpts.

I would've liked more feathers on the zhenyuanlong's head as shown in david's concept art as shown here:

I hope david will reconsider making the zhenyuanlong fluffier. So far it looks like atrociraptor with more downy feathers, zhenyuanlong was my favourite as it looked distinct from the others, mainly because it was soooo fluffy!

I'm hoping it will look more like the package art, full-feathered but sleek. The concept art looks like some kind of crazy Doctor Seuss character with random tufts of fluff sticking off at odd angles.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Flaffy

Anyways, NEW UPDATE!!!
"Adasaurus and Dromaeosaurus Unpainted Resin Prototypes

The prototype figures for both the Adasaurus and the Dromaeosaurus are done and painting is currently underway! I'm painting the main line Dromaeosaurus (shown here) and Matt is taking on the Adasaurus and Fans Choice Dromaeosaurus. I expect to have all three done by his time next week, but I will likely show the main line Dromaeosaurus a bit sooner on social media, so keep an eye out for that. Also worth noting, I went with the Velociraptor primary wings on the Dromaeosaurus with the Balaur arms/secondaries as this combo looks surprisingly accurate to Jonathan's package art. Also of note are the new feathered feet, wider feathery thighs and new jaw. The Fans Choice or 'summer' version will have the same thighs as Adasaurus and upper arms of Velociraptor for a slightly less fluffy look, but all else will remain the same. Adasaurus features the Actrociraptor primaries combined with the Tsaagan secondaries. And let's not forget about those new feathered hands!

Adasaurus

Dromaeosaurus

'lets dance'

Acheroraptor and Zhenyuanlong Final Sculpted Parts

Molding and casting for these two is currently underway and I'll be building those prototypes next week. But before I handed the pieces off, I made sure to take some pics.

Acheroraptor

Zhenyuanlong

That's all for now- Pyroraptor and Linheraptor head sculpts will be underway very soon. And remember if you don't hear from me right away here or on social, it probably means I'm working on raptors. :)"

Silvanusaurus

I think the apparent subdued fluffiness of the Zhenyuanlong, compared to the concept art, has made it easier for me to decide to stick with Balaur as my add on raptor instead, as the hope of an extra fluffy Zhen was keeping me holding on for it. I definitely prefer the colours on Balaur anyway.

Victoria's Cantina

I prefer the original Zhenyuanlong concept art. The new one is cool but the first is gorgeous.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Victoria B on July 17, 2016, 02:00:32 AM
I prefer the original Zhenyuanlong concept art. The new one is cool but the first is gorgeous.
Honestly, I feel the opposite.  I love Jonathan's package art for Zhenyuanlong.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Flaffy

For me, the extra fluffiness of the Zhenyuanlong looked very distinct from the others, but as Jonathan's package art was released (not saying that it's bad), the fluffiness of the Zhenyuanlong was greatly subdued, I started to have second thoughts about the zhenyuanlong. And now, the head sculpt is released and David decided to make the zhenyuanlong closer to Jonathan's depiction, I can easily switch my priorities to Balaur. Let's just hope that David pulls it off.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on July 17, 2016, 03:27:50 AM
Quote from: Victoria B on July 17, 2016, 02:00:32 AM
Honestly, I feel the opposite.  I love Jonathan's package art for Zhenyuanlong.

That's the one I was referring to. I love Sara Richard's work, but for this particular species, I like what Jonathan did better.

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on July 16, 2016, 12:52:14 AM
SQUEEEEEE!!!

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 16, 2016, 11:24:27 AM
I'm hoping it will look more like the package art, full-feathered but sleek. The concept art looks like some kind of crazy Doctor Seuss character with random tufts of fluff sticking off at odd angles.

You guys are funny! :))  I agree, the Dromaeosaurus looks really good.  I also definitely prefer the look David has gone for for Zhenyuanlong to how it looked in the concept art.

spinosaurus1

i am loving the colors on the dromaeosaurus thus far

empire3569

Just submitted my survey after that painted Dromaeosaurus picture; ended up with Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus, and Balaur. That Dromaeosaurus looks so freaking awesome, seriously so impressed with this whole line

Sim

I think the Zhenyuanlong will be more feathery than in the concept art with it having fully feathered hands, legs and feet, and the new tail, all of which wasn't present in the concept art.  That's in addition to it having the largest wing size, and the maximum amount of additional feathery torso parts.  I think this will make it the most feathery out of the main raptors.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 16, 2016, 05:54:01 AM

Wouldn't that make its head look basically identical to that of Adasaurus?:

Blade-of-the-Moon

been waiting til the last minute to submit mine..

Flaffy

@Sim I think David said that Balaur and Zhenyuanlong will be sharing wings.

Dobber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 19, 2016, 02:49:49 AM
been waiting til the last minute to submit mine..

Why?

You can complete your survey and tweek it as much as you want until David locks them in in Sept. Just because you complete your survey now doesn't mean you are stuck with what you choose at the moment. Nothing is final until early Sept when David locks the survey in. I've already edited my survey twice ;)

As for Dromeosaurus, I think that looks the most like the artwork of any of the figures so far. It's absolutely beautiful!

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: