You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

I wasn't sure about Acheroraptor from the artwork but I am pleasantly surprised with how the figure looks. I like it!

I am very curious and excited to see how Linheraptor and Roadrunner Sauronitholestes Langstoni turn out. They are my most anticipated now.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dobber

This was posted in the accuracy thread, but wanted to post it here also as this is the main thread.

Liking it quite a bit so far.  :D

Chris

Sim

I really like how the Linheraptor is looking in that photo!

Silvanusaurus

Derek.McManus

Nanuqsaurus

I was afraid the bright colors wouldn't look very good on a raptor.

I was wrong. :P

Flaffy

Old and new zhenyuanlong head sculpts side by side, please reply asap if there is anything that needs change, before David finalises the sculpt.  ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

Wasn't one of the main issues the head was too big? Looks about the same size to me?

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 12, 2016, 04:47:56 PM
Wasn't one of the main issues the head was too big? Looks about the same size to me?
IKR, but it's probably because of the extra feathers, I hope the zhen won't be as inaccurate as last time. Still have high hopes for the new sculpt!

Dobber

Yeah, the shape looks better to me but it still looks oversized. His detailing and sculpt are awesome.....but it really doesn't look much smaller....oh well.  :(

Chris

Blade-of-the-Moon

There may be a limit as to how small he can go with the system the toys are based around . I have seen some really small Japanese figures that used smaller ones but I think David is trying to use one for all of them. 

Dinoguy2

Yeah, there was no problem with the shape of the head, it was the size that was the problem. Same size, same problem. Honestly not sure what the point of resculpting it was if it doesn't fix the only problem it had.

In fact he might have made it less accurate, if he was listening to the people saying it should be triangular based on the crushed top of the skull in the fossil photos? The old version matched the uncrushed portion of the skull perfectly when I overlayed them in Photoshop.

It really shouldn't be neccesssry to crowd source accuracy like this either. I'm sure David is a lot more crunched for time with these last few sculpts compared to the level of research he put into the first few, but the paper is open access and anybody can check the models against the skeleton. If accuracy is not possible because of the limits of the articulation system just say so. We'd be forgiving I think considering the overall quality (though I still would personally just buy the accurate ones). The idea that you could make perfectly accurate dinosaurs using stock bodies and swapping out heads and feet was never gonna work anyway - too many proportion differences in the leg segments and head sizes as well. You can't make a Zhenyuanlong by changing the face and arms of a Velociraptor any more than you can change the head and arms of a T. rex to make an Allosaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Silvanusaurus

Plenty of the other raptors have heads that don't look as big as Zhen's, so it can't be down to restrictions caused by the articulation, as it's the same on all of them, surely?

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 12, 2016, 10:32:18 PM
The idea that you could make perfectly accurate dinosaurs using stock bodies and swapping out heads and feet was never gonna work anyway - too many proportion differences in the leg segments and head sizes as well. You can't make a Zhenyuanlong by changing the face and arms of a Velociraptor any more than you can change the head and arms of a T. rex to make an Allosaurus.

As far as I know, the only parts shared by all of the figures are the tongue, base of the neck, upper torso, lower torso, and tail base, although some of these parts look different in some figures due to other parts that connect to them.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 12, 2016, 10:32:18 PM
Yeah, there was no problem with the shape of the head, it was the size that was the problem. Same size, same problem. Honestly not sure what the point of resculpting it was if it doesn't fix the only problem it had.

In fact he might have made it less accurate, if he was listening to the people saying it should be triangular based on the crushed top of the skull in the fossil photos? The old version matched the uncrushed portion of the skull perfectly when I overlayed them in Photoshop.

It really shouldn't be neccesssry to crowd source accuracy like this either. I'm sure David is a lot more crunched for time with these last few sculpts compared to the level of research he put into the first few, but the paper is open access and anybody can check the models against the skeleton. If accuracy is not possible because of the limits of the articulation system just say so. We'd be forgiving I think considering the overall quality (though I still would personally just buy the accurate ones). The idea that you could make perfectly accurate dinosaurs using stock bodies and swapping out heads and feet was never gonna work anyway - too many proportion differences in the leg segments and head sizes as well. You can't make a Zhenyuanlong by changing the face and arms of a Velociraptor any more than you can change the head and arms of a T. rex to make an Allosaurus.

You have a ruler right there in the image.  Tell him how big the head should be or ask one of us that frequents his Facebook or Kickstarter page.  Frankly, I feel that if it gets too small, it'll look strange proportionally to the rest of the body.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dobber

I'd say loose maybe a quarter inch. If it scaled done too make it 1/4 inch shorter I think it would look better, but that's just me. What I think doesn't make it right for everyone else.  ???

Chris

Flaffy

Time to drop the bomb... Again...  :-[
There is still hope, the zhenyuanlong head might not be fully ready yet and changes can still be made. But the size problem is definitely still here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

well David did ask for opinions and if it was right now.  It looks like he removed a little more than a quarter of an inch, but it was all feathers.

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Dobber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 13, 2016, 07:13:12 AM
well David did ask for opinions and if it was right now.  It looks like he removed a little more than a quarter of an inch, but it was all feathers.

Yeah, he needs to scale it down, not just make it "shorter". Like I said, maybe scale down so that the new length would be another 1/4 inch smaller but everything else would also be smaller too, not just the length.

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: