News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thagirion's dino art

Started by Thagirion, May 03, 2012, 01:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharptooth

A name for the Rex girl... Mmh, that's a tough one!

Erin? Or maybe Kathy (from Kathy Wankel)?
And what about Jane?

Tell me what you think, ok?  ;)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Sharptooth on May 12, 2012, 11:10:59 PM
A name for the Rex girl... Mmh, that's a tough one!

Erin? Or maybe Kathy (from Kathy Wankel)?
And what about Jane?

Tell me what you think, ok?  ;)

She doesn't want to use human names, more like "Indian" names, or something a little creative. She has a few already though. I suggested "Ambush" for the alpha-female.

Sharptooth

"Ambush" is a good one, i guess  :)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Sharptooth on May 13, 2012, 09:42:35 PM
"Ambush" is a good one, i guess  :)

I got the idea from a documentary about Tyrannosaurs hunting as a family unit - the alpha female being the largest, waiting in hiding for the quicker juvies to chase the prey right into the alpha-female, which would ambush it's prey. Speculative, of course, but there ya go.

Thagirion

No, everyone does not stand out.  Then everyone would be the same. There are always better and worse artists. The ones that stand out get noticed. My style is unlike any other and I know that for a fact. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have names for all my characters but one now. I named the last female rex Reina which means Queen in Spanish.  I need a name for an older male Troodon that's goofy but wise. I know it would help to see a pic. I need to draw him up still.  He'll be shades of grey/blue.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Gryphoceratops

Um no lol.  Unless someone is purposefully copying something else everyone has their own uniqueness regardless of how "good" or "bad" other people think that artist is.  Something you may really like I may find terrible for example.  Its in the eye of the beholder really.  (there are factors that can make one artist be considered better I suppose like experience and what not but really its about personal taste mostly).  I know this much for sure, every artist on these threads for sure has his or her own very distinctive style (u are not the only one to do expressive cartoonish dinosaurs btw).  I can look at a piece from any of us and immediately tell who did it without seeing the signature. 

If you are not comfortable doing art that is of more of a realism style that's fine I have no intention to push.  I was just curious.   

Thagirion

The only thing you have right is that art is subective, but artists that are good are the ones that get noticed and get jobs and get their work out in public not just little specialtiy internet sites like here where it's just your friends that saying they like your stuff.  The ones that are good however you define it will get noticed because they stood out and had the right stuff.  Not everyone will make it. End of discussion. I do not want my thread being taken off topic.  Feel free to start a discussion about this else where if you want, but not here.  If you like my stuff then say so or don't. If not then well move along.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Thagirion on May 24, 2012, 11:07:30 PM
The only thing you have right is that art is subective, but artists that are good are the ones that get noticed and get jobs and get their work out in public not just little specialtiy internet sites like here where it's just your friends that saying they like your stuff.  The ones that are good however you define it will get noticed because they stood out and had the right stuff.  Not everyone will make it. End of discussion. I do not want my thread being taken off topic.  Feel free to start a discussion about this else where if you want, but not here.  If you like my stuff then say so or don't. If not then well move along.

The only thing I had right?  lol thats pretty much all I said!

The ones who get jobs don't do so because they are just "good".  Its about who they know, the connections they have, how much they are willing to work for and how aggressive they are about getting that job.  Have you ever done art professionally before?  There are a few of us on here who have and do and any of us will tell you of course you need to be talented and skilled but there are still a LOT of other talented/skilled artists all competing out there as well.  In order to be successful you can't rely just on that.  You won't get anywhere.  Its a field of business like many others.  I know so many skilled, amazing artists who sadly give up on it as a profession simply because its so difficult to get work because its so competitive. 

Sorry it got off topic.  I didn't mean to upset you.  I'm just trying to be real here.   

Thagirion

People that get in because of situations like "daddy owns the company" do not last long if they don't have the skill or sit and waste space and with nothing to show for it. They still have to be good.  There are exceptional individuals out there.  They make it. Yeah, some might have the skill but they may not try hard enough or want it. Yes I have done professional work.  I told you I do not want to hear about this anymore. If you're really sorry or whatever then you'll remove yourself from my thread like I asked.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.