News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Beautiful day at the park.

Totoro

Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Halichoeres

Are those bananas out front or am I crazy?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 09, 2024, 05:39:40 PMAre those bananas out front or am I crazy?

They are. We have them in several areas of the park. Species is Musa Basjoo, the cold hardy Japanese Banana. It's more decorative in nature though you can use the leaves for cooking and it smells like bananas. The actual fruit is not good to eat, tiny and green and pretty unpalatable.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quetz ready for placing and then paint finishing.  Peanut for scale.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Created by Art by Anz for Backyard Terrors Dinosaur Park  Installed by me.

Scene depicts hypothetical behavior of a male on lookout while the female guards the burrow entrance.  I think this brings us to 97 species for the park?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Been working on park maintenance and trying to figure out how to get the dinosaurs I have completed out into the park. My lawn mower and trailer won't cut it. lol 

I did finally resolve to figure out this project that has been heavily requested by kids visiting the park. You all know I'm a huge JP/JW fan so it shouldn't come as any surprise I finally agreed to add an Indominus Rex to the park. That said it's just a bust like our Trex is so no full body thank goodness.  I mulled it over a lot and I just couldn't figure out how to get it done myself, the Rex bust was hard enough and I'm down to just me doing any work here. On top of that I'm pretty close to being out of the vinyl material I use for skin. The company hasn't made any for around 6 months..  :(  So I talked to a friend online and we figured out how to get it done in Asia. We are aiming for life size and fiberglass to last outdoors for many years.  I will construct a fence it's breaking through right across from the Rex to give that JW feel.  Here is a progress image, I provided a lot of references but I'm open to critiques I can pass along to the sculptor.

references:

edu

Wow, that seems like a tough endeavor! Isn't it difficult working with an overseas company? How are communications going?
Many years ago, I was involved in history reenactment (the period is not important), and I designed a helmet with an Indian company, following the archeological record. The process was insane  ;D  But the helmet finally reached the market.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: edu on August 04, 2024, 08:08:46 PMWow, that seems like a tough endeavor! Isn't it difficult working with an overseas company? How are communications going?
Many years ago, I was involved in history reenactment (the period is not important), and I designed a helmet with an Indian company, following the archeological record. The process was insane  ;D  But the helmet finally reached the market.

I have a middle man who is familiar with the company that is assisting thank goodness. Today was my first time sending them feedback on where the sculpt is going.

I think I noticed a simple design flaw, they elongated the mouth too much like a spinosaur. This makes the whole piece the correct length but throws off the height. So the mouth needs to be shortened and then the whole thing scaled up.  That said I'm impressed with the speed and how much they have done in only a week.

Saarlooswolfhound

Missed a few updates but everything looks great! Peanut looks like a great supervisor for your work.  ;D

The Indo is an exciting and enterprising project. Hope it all goes smoothly and I can't wait to see it done!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 05, 2024, 05:55:54 AMMissed a few updates but everything looks great! Peanut looks like a great supervisor for your work.  ;D

The Indo is an exciting and enterprising project. Hope it all goes smoothly and I can't wait to see it done!

He is that, no other help though lol  I did adopt a new puppy, well a 4 year old rescue too. I'm working with her but she still gets scared pretty easily.

It's the first time I've tried something like this, I hope it goes well too. Any ideas are welcome. I almost fear I may have given them conflicting references?

edu

I agree with you that they've made the head too long, but if they have been working on it for just a week, they've done a fantastic job so far.
I suppose you have some indominous replicas at home. Why don't you send them some pictures made by you, side view, front and back, craniocaudal and caudocranial views?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: edu on August 05, 2024, 03:31:22 PMI agree with you that they've made the head too long, but if they have been working on it for just a week, they've done a fantastic job so far.
I suppose you have some indominous replicas at home. Why don't you send them some pictures made by you, side view, front and back, craniocaudal and caudocranial views?

I do. I'm just not sure they are more accurate than what I've provided. Nanmu isn't very detailed being one of the first, any Mattel piece is close but not 100%.  The best I have probably is WDragon and Prime1? I looked for a lot of references but kept finding problems. See the best is in a pic I posted above.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Finally added the Juv. Brachiosaurus Altihorax and the Quetzalcoatlus to the park, took way too long to get help together to move these guys, but at least it's done.

DinoToyForum

Looks good! I presume the Quetalcoatlus has gone back to position 61? Where did you fit the Brachiosaurus in the end - with the Saurophaganax in position 50?

irimali

I love the camouflage pattern on the Quetzalcoatlus.  It really blends in with the forest! I've been startled by small animals I got close to without realizing, this would be terrifying.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 11, 2024, 11:22:22 AMLooks good! I presume the Quetalcoatlus has gone back to position 61? Where did you fit the Brachiosaurus in the end - with the Saurophaganax in position 50?

Yes, the new Quetz is in the position of the old one. The Saurophaganax and dead Brachio is at position 51. The new Brachiosaurus is just up from 73 the Dracovenator, not quite across from the Tanystropheus but in the middle on the side of the path the Draco is on.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: irimali on August 11, 2024, 04:06:59 PMI love the camouflage pattern on the Quetzalcoatlus.  It really blends in with the forest! I've been startled by small animals I got close to without realizing, this would be terrifying.

Thanks! I took some inspiration for the head then just did what I thought looked good on the body and wings. I like it turned it so well. There is some orange in there and the darker striations that are hard to capture on camera and in this light.  I think this one is about 9.5' tall, he just cleared the Tupuxuara hanging over the trail.  A full size adult of the larger species would be something I would certainly want to steer clear of!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 11, 2024, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on August 11, 2024, 11:22:22 AMLooks good! I presume the Quetalcoatlus has gone back to position 61? Where did you fit the Brachiosaurus in the end - with the Saurophaganax in position 50?

Yes, the new Quetz is in the position of the old one. The Saurophaganax and dead Brachio is at position 51. The new Brachiosaurus is just up from 73 the Dracovenator, not quite across from the Tanystropheus but in the middle on the side of the path the Draco is on.

Okay, I'll update the map. :)

Isn't 51 the Spinosaurus? So maybe you mean a little up from that on that side of the path?

The two positions like so?:
dinopark_layout16_b&w_circled.jpg

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: