You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Silvanusaurus' Customs - New Megalosaurus Photos

Started by Silvanusaurus, August 23, 2015, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcroSauroTaurus

Ok, that makes sense. Well, whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll look good.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Megalosaurus

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!
A MEgalosaurus!

Well, that little figure is based in the paleo art in my signature. I've seen that figure in several colors, let me see... I like this:

Do you already have a base figure in mind?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 27, 2016, 07:02:55 PM

Do you already have a base figure in mind?

No, that's what I'm trying to decide at the minute. I suppose a fairly generic theropod would work... any suggestions?

AcroSauroTaurus

An Allosaurus would probably work the best, with the similar body plan and all, so you wouldn't have to do much work.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Silvanusaurus

I have a new idea for the next project... I think I'll customise an updated 'modern' Megalosaurus, but I also want to make a figure based on the Crystal Palace Megalosaurus:

which is of course very out of date, but I love the design of it, and really want a version to display on my shelf, as a tribute to the history of dinosaur reconstruction. It will be cool to have both that vintage one and a modern one next to it.

stargatedalek

The Favorite S2 Allosaurus would be my recommendation, it needs a lot of fleshing out but if anything I think that sounds convenient for your plans ;)

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 28, 2016, 07:15:34 PM
The Favorite S2 Allosaurus would be my recommendation, it needs a lot of fleshing out but if anything I think that sounds convenient for your plans ;)
What size is it?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 28, 2016, 07:26:20 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on January 28, 2016, 07:15:34 PM
What size is it?
It's about 1:50 scale, maybe a shade smaller. I'd say it's comparable in size to the Papo Velociraptor, if that's a useful reference point.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

Hmmm... it's a good suggestion but I think I might need to use something a bit larger, and with less pre-existing detail. I'm thinking about using the Megasaur 'Saurophaganax', it's cheap, easily available, and easy to cut up for repositioning. And the pose is quite dynamic already. They are quite well detailed for what they are, but I wouldn't feel like I was sacrificing a nice figure if I covered a lot of it up.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Someone, safari/carnigie or especially papo needs to make a line of outdated dinosaurs that comes with a little card that explains why it is wrong and how. Like a crystal palace set would be amazing! especially with the details of Papo! Great job on the baryonyx! I cannot wait to see your next projects!
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: PainterRex on February 07, 2016, 10:56:30 PM
Someone, safari/carnigie or especially papo needs to make a line of outdated dinosaurs that comes with a little card that explains why it is wrong and how. Like a crystal palace set would be amazing! especially with the details of Papo! Great job on the baryonyx! I cannot wait to see your next projects!

That's a great idea! It would amazing to be able to get all the different crystal palace creatures, and others based on early outdated paleoart... 

Silvanusaurus

I'm finally making a Megalosaurus, but I'm trying to decide whether it should be scaley or feathered. I'm leaning towards proto-feathers at the minute, as it offers more interesting possibilities for what could otherwise be the very definition of a generic theropod. As far as I can tell from a brief bit of research, there is no direct evidence either way for Megalosauridae. Does anybody have any thoughts on the liklihood or not of Megalosaurus being feathered? Also, if it were feathered, what is the most likely placement of proto-feathers on the hands of non-winged theropods?

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 06, 2016, 12:24:59 PM
I'm finally making a Megalosaurus, but I'm trying to decide whether it should be scaley or feathered. I'm leaning towards proto-feathers at the minute, as it offers more interesting possibilities for what could otherwise be the very definition of a generic theropod. As far as I can tell from a brief bit of research, there is no direct evidence either way for Megalosauridae. Does anybody have any thoughts on the liklihood or not of Megalosaurus being feathered? Also, if it were feathered, what is the most likely placement of proto-feathers on the hands of non-winged theropods?

No evidence/citations from my side, but personally I'd lean to a scaley, non feathery or only minorly feathered reconstruction due to the mass of the animal and the environement it lived in. If we suggest endothermy/gigantothermy, a tropical hot environemnt and a mass of  ton or so, any feathers that go furhter than just for plain sexual display on some specific body parts but for insulation, the feature may become more harmfull than usefull due to the danger of overheating.

Silvanusaurus

Wouldn't that also rule out the liklihood of extensive feathering on a T rex, which is much bigger?

spinosaurus1

imo, megalosauridae could of had feathers. but at this point, we have little no no evidence of any form of integument for this group, ergo it is open to interpretation. i honestly have no problem with either interpretation but i do agree that with you adding them would bring more distinction to your figure compared to the mass production of what is usually seen with megalosauridae. i really like your style of sculpting an i cant wait to see what distinguishing features you would add to your sculpt. :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on July 07, 2016, 02:44:50 AM
imo, megalosauridae could of had feathers. but at this point, we have little no no evidence of any form of integument for this group, ergo it is open to interpretation. i honestly have no problem with either interpretation but i do agree that with you adding them would bring more distinction to your figure compared to the mass production of what is usually seen with megalosauridae. i really like your style of sculpting an i cant wait to see what distinguishing features you would add to your sculpt. :)

The only evidence of feathers on megalosaurids is Sciurumimus, but its a juvenile, so we don't know if they lost their feathers as they aged.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

It has been Argued that Sciurumimus was not a Megalosaur anymore and instead, it was a Coelurosaur of some kind

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Takama on July 07, 2016, 06:31:13 AM
It has been Argued that Sciurumimus was not a Megalosaur anymore and instead, it was a Coelurosaur of some kind

Yeah, this is what I gathered.
I'm now thinking of abandoning feathers for this piece, and just trying to create the most dynamic scaled version i can. I'm feeling too uncomfortable about feathering this species just for the sake of it, and i don't want to be half-hearted about applying them, I don't think only partial feathering works very well for me.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on July 06, 2016, 10:16:30 PM
Wouldn't that also rule out the liklihood of extensive feathering on a T rex, which is much bigger?

Indeed, but as far as my knowledge goes there's not yet evidence for (extensive) featheres on large tyrannosaur species. While it's proofed for small species it may still be possible that large species had none or only during specific stages of their youth (much as several mammal species only have fur as babies, like sea elephants or such, or the feathers on chicks of ostriches that are more extensive than on adults). However, as Tyrannosaurus lived in a slightly different climate than Megalosaurus, the problem of overheating may have not been as present for this species. After all, feathers or not (or to put it "scales or not") is something you can only make an educated guess about for most species, so it depends on which arguments you'd like to follow.

Silvanusaurus

I've started work on the Megalosaurus; funnily enough I've combined parts from the Papo Allosaurus (which I got cheap as part of a larger lot, so I thought I might as well take advantage of it) and the 'knock-off' of it; the 'Saurophaganax' made by Megasaurs. As seen in this photo, I've butchered the heads and mangled them together to give it a longer snout, giving it a closer resemblance to fellow megalosaurid Torvosaurus. I've tried to base this on the proportions of a Megalosaurus skeletal by Scott Hartman. Obviously the remains of Megalosaurus are very limited, but from what I gather it's suggested to have had a large head, and robust arms and body. The Allosaurus' body is too lithe and the arms too long, so I'm shortening the arms and am going to add a lot of 'robustness' to the overall body, while maintaining the dynaism of the sculpt and following it's musculature.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: