News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carnegie Collection by Safari Ltd

Started by Takama, May 08, 2012, 04:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 10, 2015, 02:45:09 AM
The ones I like best I get two of...one remains stock as is, and the other gets a redo and base. Best of both worlds....
You have only 2 Carnegie Psittacosaurus? ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

uh no....but it is an exception to several rules. It is a species of dinosaur for which the Carnegie was arguably the only really even semi realistic depiction for. Aside from , I have multiple repaints, signed versions, and what not.

If you were considering the Carnegie Amargasaurus for instance, there are a group of other choices out there to work with....that all look fairly decent. With the Carnegie psittacosaurus, you can go that route or get the squirrel-like collecta version...or what?So that dynamic somewhat alters the choices I make.
   I also feel the figure itself is starting to dry up and get rarer, which makes hoarding a possible strategy...
   I do concede there are some carnegies I have a stock version, a signed version and a repaint making for three of.....so your question does make a point

lol that was not fair Sim!!!! ??? ??? ???
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Tyto_Theropod

I only tend to paint things which are readily available at the time. Painting rare, discontinued models always feels like you're 'defacing' something valuable to me.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on April 10, 2015, 10:33:32 PM
I only tend to paint things which are readily available at the time. Painting rare, discontinued models always feels like you're 'defacing' something valuable to me.
I used to think like that too...but then I realized a very simple ideal . I will never willingly part with my psittacosaurus collection or sell it.....so what does it matter wether it is rare, limited or valuable? My psittacosaurus collection is priceless to me, and yet worthless, because I do not see myself ever cashing in on it. So, I do what I want with it and consequences be hanged.

I do concede your point has merit however, I purchased some rarer dinotales from a friend maybe a year ago, and they came still sealed and mint and I have refused to even open them for fear of............so I am guilty as you are.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 10, 2015, 07:18:10 PM
uh no....but it is an exception to several rules. It is a species of dinosaur for which the Carnegie was arguably the only really even semi realistic depiction for. Aside from , I have multiple repaints, signed versions, and what not.

If you were considering the Carnegie Amargasaurus for instance, there are a group of other choices out there to work with....that all look fairly decent. With the Carnegie psittacosaurus, you can go that route or get the squirrel-like collecta version...or what?So that dynamic somewhat alters the choices I make.
   I also feel the figure itself is starting to dry up and get rarer, which makes hoarding a possible strategy...
   I do concede there are some carnegies I have a stock version, a signed version and a repaint making for three of.....so your question does make a point

lol that was not fair Sim!!!! ??? ??? ???
Oh.  I had been thinking the reason you had a number of repaints of the Carnegie Psittacosaurus was basically because you really liked that figure.  I just had another look at your repainted Carnegie figures and I have to say a lot are very nice!

As this is a thread for the Carnegie Collection, I thought it would be an appropriate place to share a really cool picture I came across, of the Carnegie Collection marine reptiles.  You'll notice some of the animals in the picture are more accurate than the figures...  Here's the link to the picture: http://stygimolochspinifer.deviantart.com/art/Carnegie-Collection-Marine-Reptiles-345128599  It took me a few seconds to realise who the green one was!

tyrantqueen

Sorry for the thread necro, but I still think this line is very much worth seeking out. True that there were some bad ones near the end of its run but there are some real gems here too.

Didn't Dan hint at some kind of collaboration between Forest Rogers and Safari in the future? I wonder how that turned out.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 01:43:51 PM
Sorry for the thread necro, but I still think this line is very much worth seeking out. True that there were some bad ones near the end of its run but there are some real gems here too.

Didn't Dan hint at some kind of collaboration between Forest Rogers and Safari in the future? I wonder how that turned out.
Forest left me a facebook message the other day to one of my postings stating to expect some very nice dinosaur related things from her coming within the year. She was purposely vague and did not mention any specifics whatsoever, so I know little for hard fact except that she is still stating there is something in the works.

Sim

Something that ended up bothering me about the Carnegie Collection dinosaurs was their too small caudofemoralis muscles.  They never did overcome that mistake.  If Forest Rogers sculpts more prehistoric animals, I hope the caudofemoralis get done correctly.

Halichoeres

Dean Walker, at his blog, speculated that Safari would launch a new museum line with some other institution, which would be amazing. Of course, I would be equally happy to see Ms. Rogers recruited to the Wild Safari line.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Simon

Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2015, 02:39:31 PM
Something that ended up bothering me about the Carnegie Collection dinosaurs was their too small caudofemoralis muscles.  They never did overcome that mistake.  If Forest Rogers sculpts more prehistoric animals, I hope the caudofemoralis get done correctly.

You forgot to add the too-small ankles and feet to your list.  (Plus of course the horrendous tripod stance).

Forest Rogers is a lost cause in that regard.  I for one hope she never sculpts another theropod for the rest of her life.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Simon on September 03, 2015, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2015, 02:39:31 PM

You forgot to add the too-small ankles and feet to your list.  (Plus of course the horrendous tripod stance).

Forest Rogers is a lost cause in that regard.  I for one hope she never sculpts another theropod for the rest of her life.

Goddamn, dude. Don't pull your punches or anything...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Simon

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 03, 2015, 05:08:05 PM

Goddamn, dude. Don't pull your punches or anything...

I never have.  As the old timers around here will tell you, I've never had a particularly high opinion of her theropods.  If you go to my website you will find several of her pieces that I had to heavily kitbash in order to "save" back in the days when I dabbled in hobby modeling. 

Now the four-legged dinosaurs that she has done are much better...

terrorchicken

the only thng that bugged me about this line is too many theropods with the same open mouth/tripod stance...allosaurus, spinosaurus, giganoto, concavenator, cryolopho, the new velociraptor...

They all look like this:

:)) please excuse the crappy ms paint drawing.

Paleona

Haha, terrorchicken, that's very true. xD

I personally think Miss Rogers' sculpts are quite beautiful- theropods included.  Sure, the tripod stance isn't ideal, but I much prefer it over having a figure I can't even display properly.  That's all just a matter of preference, though.  There are several Carnegie's I still want to get- the only one I own right now is the anniversary rex.  :)             

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 03, 2015, 02:05:52 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 01:43:51 PM

Forest left me a facebook message the other day to one of my postings stating to expect some very nice dinosaur related things from her coming within the year. She was purposely vague and did not mention any specifics whatsoever, so I know little for hard fact except that she is still stating there is something in the works.
This is good to know!I would love to see more sculpts from her.I'd love to see her take on hadrosaurs like Lambeosaurus lambei or maybe ceratopsians like Chasmosaurus belli.And no matter how many theropods came out toward the end of the Carnegie Collection's run,I still want to see her take on Ceratosaurus nasicornis.While I never did mind the pose of most of the bipeds in the Carnegie line,imagine one on a rock base in a stalking pose with it's mouth shut. ;D
All this of course in addition to whatever shows up in the Wild Safari line too.I'm greedy that way.. :))
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Paleona on September 03, 2015, 07:22:45 PM
Haha, terrorchicken, that's very true. xD

I personally think Miss Rogers' sculpts are quite beautiful- theropods included.  Sure, the tripod stance isn't ideal, but I much prefer it over having a figure I can't even display properly.  That's all just a matter of preference, though.  There are several Carnegie's I still want to get- the only one I own right now is the anniversary rex.  :)           
Which anniversary rex? There's like...three >:D And yes, her theropods are amazing. She is one of my sculpting idols.

Paleona

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 08:27:12 PM
Which anniversary rex? There's like...three >:D And yes, her theropods are amazing. She is one of my sculpting idols.

Ha, oops, you're right.  I have the "red rex", but with the paint job without the red stripe:

Stands perfectly without the help of her tail!  I'm always surprised at how heavy and solid it is.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Paleona on September 03, 2015, 08:46:46 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 08:27:12 PM

Ha, oops, you're right.  I have the "red rex", but with the paint job without the red stripe:
*snip*
That one is my favourite. Here's mine painted up to look like a CM Studios Tyrannosaurus (thanks copper)

Does yours have googly eyes?

Paleona

Yours looks great, TQ!  The color scheme lends itself well to the sculpt.  :)  It's definitely my favorite of the Carnegie rexes, too.
The eyes on mine are very even, but unfortunately the pupils were painted in different directions. >_<

The scuff on the nose isn't from falling over, but from shipping damage.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: