News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Death of Dan LoRusso

Started by Takama, September 17, 2015, 09:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

I didn't know Mr. LoRusso particularly well, but when reading his updates here and on Facebook, I was always impressed by the attitude he took toward his work and his illness. He continued to sculpt even though his treatments made the process difficult, and whenever he spoke about the future it was with such positivity that one could scarcely entertain the notion that he would not recover.

When I tested my (fairly shaky) skills at painting the new Terra figures, I was pretty unsure about the result until he took the time to express his approval and share my pictures online. It may have been a small gesture, but really bolstered my confidence. I'm sure he did the same for many artists; and encouragement like that means a lot.

Doug Watson

I just checked Dan's Facebook page and this appears to be true. This is horrible, horrible news. I didn't know Dan well, I started out as a collector of his original series Battat dinosaurs and as a fan and then when I started sculpting for Safari Ltd I felt a kinship with him and when he joined the DTF we became friends here. From a distance I was blown away by the courage he showed fighting this terrible disease. The fact that he continued to work despite the pain it caused him speaks volumes of his strength. My deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

Mamasaurus

No words I say can do justice, since I have only recently had the pleasure of being introduced to his work and his strength of character here on the forum. 

My most sincere condolenses to his friends, and most especially his family.  I know it doesn't sound like much and may be little comfort, but I hope my small prayers will reach out to you in a hug or kind word wherever you may be.

Rest in peace and joy, Mr. LoRusso, you are in my prayers.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

EmperorDinobot

Jetoar

This is a terrible news. RIP  :'(. Battat dinasty is his present for us  :'(. Thanks Dan.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Sim

This is very sad and shocking!  Like Patrx said, whenever Dan spoke about the future it was with such positivity that it was hard to imagine him passing away so soon and unexpectedly.  My condolences to his family and friends.

Well then, dear Dan, you'll be warmly remembered and missed sorrowfully.  You've touched the lives of people on this forum and the many other kids and adults who've enjoyed the Battat dinosaurs.  Thanks for your friendliness and the other things you've shared, like your wonderful dinosaur models and your sensible opinions.  You've inspired me through your words and your art.  I've been really impressed at how you kept doing what you wanted to do despite health problems.  I'm lucky to have gotten to talk to you a few times on this forum.

I've been reading and commenting on the Dinosaur Toy Blog since at least 2009, but I only became a member of the Dinosaur Toy Forum last year after the Battat Terra line came out.  If it wasn't for Dan I wouldn't be a member of this forum right now!  I've learnt a lot from others on this forum, about extinct and extant animals but also about other parts of life.  Thanks for this Dan, and everyone else.

Maybe now Dan knows what every dinosaur really looked like.  I'll miss you Dan.  :'(  I wish the best for you!

Daspletodave

I am shocked, stunned and saddened.
Dan LoRusso will be greatly missed.
His work will live on.

Arul

This is very sad, God bless you Dan rest in peace...  :'(

Tyrannosauron

Oh, wow. Shocking and obviously terrible news. Condolences to his friends and family--hopefully our support of his work can provide them with some comfort, either material or emotional.

Carnosaur

I Regret to inform you all that Legendary Battat Dinosaur Sculptor (and Dinosaur Studio Owner) Dan LoRusso has past away today.
What this means for the Rebooted Battat line Remains to be seen.

He has for a long time now been struggling with his fight against cancer.
But throughout his illness he continued to be friendly and involved in the paleo community.

This was His T-Rex from the original Battat line.
I repainted it a couple years ago and he loved it.

You'll be missed Dan.

tyrantqueen

It can't be true. Nooooo :(

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 18, 2015, 01:41:27 AM
It can't be true. Nooooo :(
'

There are condolence notes all over his timeline on Facebook. I was in denial, until Raptoress pointed me there. Its no Joke. :'(

suspsy

I never met Dan in person, but based on all my online interactions with him, he was a truly awesome individual, one who is all too rare nowadays. And his talent was amazing. I am deeply saddened by his passing. Farewell, good sir. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

amargasaurus cazaui

I knew Dan fairly well and spoke with him frequently on Facebook in particular. I am not going to really respond much here, except to say my sympathies are with his wife and wonderful family and I am pretty well just numbed by the loss of someone I considered a good friend. We have lost a truly iconic artist today and I am saddened. My only consolation is that I know his suffering and pain have ended finally.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

What?!? How did you find this out?
I don't even care about the figures at this point: Terra's invested in what they have and they will release the rest no problem. I was just really rooting for Dan and will be seriously distraught if we won't see him around the community any longer.

Bokisaurus

Oh no! This is a devastating news! Condolences to his family. He was such a great guy,always positive.
You will be missed Dan, RIP.

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 18, 2015, 02:37:49 AM
What?!? How did you find this out?
I don't even care about the figures at this point: Terra's invested in what they have and they will release the rest no problem. I was just really rooting for Dan and will be seriously distraught if we won't see him around the community any longer.

"if" is not the correct word here. We won't see him here anymore. :'(

The production of a toy line seems les...important...right now.

Tapejara1122

This is terrible news :'(  he will be missed. His works of art will remind us of his greatness.

"You know, at times like this one feels, well, perhaps extinct animals should be left extinct". - Ian Malcolm

John

My condolences go out to Dan's family and friends.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Blade-of-the-Moon

What can I say Dan? I grew up seeing your amazing work in the pages of Prehistoric Times, I only wished one day to own one of your amazing dinosaurs. They were so inspiring to me. When I started my dinosaur park here, you stepped right up and offered your help, because of you our T-Rex which so many kids adore has eyes and teeth and correct proportions. I couldn't have done it without you my friend. I'll miss our discussions here and not being able to meet you finally and introduce you to Stan. If there is any fairness in the after life I hope your seeing some real dinosaurs finally.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: