News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleofails

Started by E.D.G.E. (PainterRex), September 18, 2015, 07:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexeratops

Quote from: HD-man on September 21, 2015, 06:50:47 PM
Quote from: alexeratops on September 21, 2015, 04:30:38 AM
Quote from: RolandEden on September 20, 2015, 11:14:45 PM
I dont think we should post ark survival evolved creatures in paleofails due alien origins are out of paleoaccuracy. And yes, the developers said never wanted to be accurate.
They did make the Spinosaurus on 4 legs though...

Which is evidence of what RolandEden said. ;)
I dont understand how you think this could possibly support itself with those tiny legs; it couldn't balance!
like a bantha!

Balaur

Not to get too off topic, but Spinosaurus could have easily balanced on its two legs, maybe rearing high up like a pangolin or penguin, dragging its tail, if the tail was really heavy. It could also probably slide on its belly, pushing itself along using its legs, also like a penguin. It's not a black or white issue of "it either walked on 4 or 2 legs".

HD-man

The negative reviews in "HD-man's Serious Dino Books/Dino-Related Reviews!" ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.0 ) are for paleofails. As of this post, there's Feduccia's Riddle of the Feathered Dragons: Hidden Birds of China, Barnes-Svarney/Svarney's The Handy Dinosaur Answer Book, Lessem's The Ultimate Dinopedia: The Most Complete Dinosaur Reference Ever, The Magic School Bus, Brusatte/Benton's Dinosaurs, Mash's How to Keep Dinosaurs, Benton's Walking With Dinosaurs: Fascinating Facts, & Johnson's Dino Wars: Discover the Deadliest Dinosaurs, Bloodiest Battles, and Super Survival Strategies of the Prehistoric World. I'll add to "Paleofails" as I add to "HD-man's Serious Dino Books/Dino-Related Reviews!".
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Sim

Quote from: alexeratops on September 22, 2015, 12:50:11 AM
Quote from: HD-man on September 21, 2015, 06:50:47 PM
Quote from: alexeratops on September 21, 2015, 04:30:38 AM
Quote from: RolandEden on September 20, 2015, 11:14:45 PM
I dont think we should post ark survival evolved creatures in paleofails due alien origins are out of paleoaccuracy. And yes, the developers said never wanted to be accurate.
They did make the Spinosaurus on 4 legs though...

Which is evidence of what RolandEden said. ;)
I dont understand how you think this could possibly support itself with those tiny legs; it couldn't balance!

In the picture you posted its forelimbs aren't touching the ground...  If Spinosaurus's tail is as muscular as expected I can see it being able to stand on just its two feet without its tail touching the ground, even with very short legs.  Although more of Spinosaurus seems to have been found in recent years, the very short legged reconstruction is based on combining different specimens of different ages which may not even all be the same species.  The colour coded Spinosaurus skeleton here shows where the various bones in the reconstruction come from.

Animals of the same species can have different proportions due to age, gender, and to a lesser extent individual variation.  So combining bones from different specimens can result in a reconstruction that has a combination of features from different individuals which wouldn't have all been found on a single individual.

Also, as Scott Hartman and other palaeontologists have pointed out, the new Spinosaurus reconstruction could be an inaccurate chimera which combines different valid species, namely Spinosaurus aegyptiacus, Spinosaurus B, and Sigilmassasaurus.

It could be that the new Spinosaurus reconstruction is actually accurate to the real animal.  But there's no way to know this until specimens that aren't so incomplete are found.  As it is, the suggestion that Spinosaurus is quadrupedal is speculation proposing something extraordinary without precedent for a theropod, based on combining parts from different individuals of different ages and maybe even different species.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

(22/Sept/15)

Quoted Response: Irony
Explanation: This is a carnotaurus from a ken ham book. It is eating bananas.....
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

CityRaptor

It should be eating ham...well, what do you expect from a Ken Ham book?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

I wonder if Ken Ham thinks bananas were perfectly designed for Carnotaurus hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igui2YoHXs8
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 23, 2015, 01:59:10 AM
I wonder if Ken Ham thinks bananas were perfectly designed for Carnotaurus hands: *snip*
Sorry for sounding like a backseat mod and/or a jerk, but I will report to a moderator if this continues. Religious topics are not allowed.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

(23 SEPT 2015)

Quoted Response: Nice theory.

Quoted Response:A Pteranodon palaeofail from Life: The Science of Biology, edition 10. This book is really accurate, mostly, but this...not so much.

From a 2013 textbook.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

(26/Sept/2015)

Quoted Response:Because sharks and beavers are dinosaurs.

Quoted Response: Supposedly Tyrannosaurus

Quoted Response: Allegedly Deinonychus

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

(2/October/2015)

Quoted Response: It looks more like a limp noodle than a Deinonychus

Quoted Response: This titanoboa is surprisingly chill for drowning

stargatedalek

Snakes are generally very proficient swimmers and Titanoboa was from a coastal environment so I don't see the issue.

Mamasaurus

That is actually quite interesting speculation for a titanoboa.  There are several extant snakes with a coastal lifetstyle that can hold their breath for an incredibly long time. Even anacondas, which are not even coastal animals, are amazing aquatic hunters as well. It's unlikely that the illustrated scenario would occur, but it does pose some food for thought 😊

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

HD-man

Quote from: HD-man on September 22, 2015, 05:07:18 AMThe negative reviews in "HD-man's Serious Dino Books/Dino-Related Reviews!" ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2210.0 ) are for paleofails. As of this post, there's Feduccia's Riddle of the Feathered Dragons: Hidden Birds of China, Barnes-Svarney/Svarney's The Handy Dinosaur Answer Book, Lessem's The Ultimate Dinopedia: The Most Complete Dinosaur Reference Ever, The Magic School Bus, Brusatte/Benton's Dinosaurs, Mash's How to Keep Dinosaurs, Benton's Walking With Dinosaurs: Fascinating Facts, & Johnson's Dino Wars: Discover the Deadliest Dinosaurs, Bloodiest Battles, and Super Survival Strategies of the Prehistoric World. I'll add to "Paleofails" as I add to "HD-man's Serious Dino Books/Dino-Related Reviews!".

I've since added Burnie's The Kingfisher Illustrated Dinosaur Encyclopedia (See page 2).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Rain

Quote from: insecticon678 on September 27, 2015, 02:22:37 AM
(26/Sept/2015)

Well, at least it isn't a JP T rex   ;)

Dilopho

Quote from: Rain on October 05, 2015, 12:31:47 AM
(26/Sept/2015)

JP Rex is much, much better than this! Apart from problems such as the head the JP Rex is one of the most accurate reconstructions in Film/TV.

Rain

Quote from: Dilopho on October 11, 2015, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: Rain on October 05, 2015, 12:31:47 AM
(26/Sept/2015)

JP Rex is much, much better than this! Apart from problems such as the head the JP Rex is one of the most accurate reconstructions in Film/TV.

I actually like the JP rex. I only said what I said as members on this forum seem to be very negative towards the JP rex

Plasticbeast95

I don't nitpick about paleoart, but some of those fails are remarkably bad! Bald raptors in the JW toyline, fine, continuity beats accuracy in a fiction film and whatnot. But how do you forget the TOE CLAW?!?! That's like a Dromeosaurs defining trait!

Also, some of those paleoart "dinosaurs" are just downright trippy.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Rain on October 11, 2015, 03:30:30 PM
I actually like the JP rex. I only said what I said as members on this forum seem to be very negative towards the JP rex

Well, this is ripped out of context. It was about a certain company producing what is clearly a JP Rex and then claiming it to be accurate. You know, the one with the worst ( and probably most expensive ) Yutyrannus on the market.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Rain

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 12, 2015, 12:12:20 AM
Quote from: Rain on October 11, 2015, 03:30:30 PM

Well, this is ripped out of context. It was about a certain company producing what is clearly a JP Rex and then claiming it to be accurate. You know, the one with the worst ( and probably most expensive ) Yutyrannus on the market.

Not just Rebor, in fact it makes sense to not like a Rex that's marketed as "Museum quality" and costs 90 bucks when its just a Stan Winston sculpt. I meant in general . A lot of forum members don't like the JP rex for whatever reason. I guess people just don't like inaccurate angry eyebrow-ed dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: