News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleofails

Started by E.D.G.E. (PainterRex), September 18, 2015, 07:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Well, there is a desire for accurateness, not companies just ripping off movies.  I mean, look at horse collectors. Those want accurate horses, not My little Ponies. Or Wild Life collectors wanting realistic lions as opposed to those in The Lion King.

That is, of course, unless they are fans of those franchises, as well.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Rain

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 12, 2015, 12:39:09 AM
Well, there is a desire for accurateness, not companies just ripping off movies.  I mean, look at horse collectors. Those want accurate horses, not My little Ponies. Or Wild Life collectors wanting realistic lions as opposed to those in The Lion King.

That is, of course, unless they are fans of those franchises, as well.

Once again, you're misunderstanding me. I don't mean JP T rex figures, I mean the actual JP rex. The CGI/animatronic Tyrant doesn't receive much love on this forum.

Not liking unofficial JP rex figures completely makes sense though

EDIT: Nevermind. I clearly don't know what I'm saying as I originally talked about people not liking unofficial JP rexes.  My apologies

tyrantqueen

Meh, the JP Tyrannosaurus was great for its time but I'm sick of seeing it everywhere. A lot of companies just copy the design because it's popular or they think it is accurate. It's gotten very stagnant over the years.

I don't hate the JP Tyrannosaurus (I have it in my avatar after all) but I don't want non JP toys to copy the design.

irimali

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 12, 2015, 02:07:17 AM
Meh, the JP Tyrannosaurus was great for its time but I'm sick of seeing it everywhere. A lot of companies just copy the design because it's popular or they think it is accurate. It's gotten very stagnant over the years.

I don't hate the JP Tyrannosaurus (I have it in my avatar after all) but I don't want non JP toys to copy the design.

Amen.  And I'm going to say the same for the Jurassic Park raptor. Except that one hasn't aged as well as JPT-Rex.

Rain

I agree with the both of you, but I'm a bit more forgiving when it comes to the JP rex if it's done right. I can't stand seeing the JP raptors though...(unless it's papo of course)

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Wow, this thread has grown!
Anyway, here are some more fails!

(12/October/2015)

Quoted Response: Hurr! Imma shurk!

Quoted Response: A tail dragging stegosaurus.....seems about right

Quoted Response: Wait a minute...sickle claws on its HANDS!!?
Also this is straight from the JW website....ugh

I'd say, "kill me", but it seems to be already dead.

High detailed Velociraptor

Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

stargatedalek

Aside from for some reason having giant eye cavities I see nothing wrong with that megalodon. It's somewhat flattened on the top but I actually like that, I mean this was after all a large yet coastal animal, so it works. Not everyone is an expert 3D modeller, look at the Orcas, they aren't half bad but they aren't perfect, so you shouldn't expect the megalodon to be perfect either.

Yah I've seen that JW quote torn apart time and time again, but think about it for a moment. Do they ever say "sickle"? No, they don't. The claws on Velociraptors wings/hands were about six inches long and they were curved (as are the claws/nails of frankly most animals).

That Mononykus is under-feathered but aside from that I don't see any accuracy problems with it. Yah it looks ugly, but ugly doesn't mean inaccurate.

suspsy

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 12, 2015, 02:07:17 AM

Amen!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ceresiosaurus

The mononykus' proportions are quite bad, IMO

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ceresiosaurus on October 12, 2015, 06:34:20 PM
With that pose it's really not possible to tell how large the head and limbs are, but those feathers on it's tail are rather huge.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2015, 02:25:41 PM
Aside from for some reason having giant eye cavities I see nothing wrong with that megalodon. It's somewhat flattened on the top but I actually like that, I mean this was after all a large yet coastal animal, so it works. Not everyone is an expert 3D modeller, look at the Orcas, they aren't half bad but they aren't perfect, so you shouldn't expect the megalodon to be perfect either.

Yah I've seen that JW quote torn apart time and time again, but think about it for a moment. Do they ever say "sickle"? No, they don't. The claws on Velociraptors wings/hands were about six inches long and they were curved (as are the claws/nails of frankly most animals).

That Mononykus is under-feathered but aside from that I don't see any accuracy problems with it. Yah it looks ugly, but ugly doesn't mean inaccurate.

Gotta admit though, that megalodon does look kinda derpy
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

stargatedalek

Quote from: insecticon678 on October 12, 2015, 07:15:56 PM
Oh yes it's incredibly derpy :P

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2015, 07:08:40 PM
Quote from: Ceresiosaurus on October 12, 2015, 06:34:20 PM
With that pose it's really not possible to tell how large the head and limbs are, but those feathers on it's tail are rather huge.

See the following links for more accurate reconstructions in similar poses. Put another way, the "Card 69" Mononykus is to real Mononykus what Prehistoric Kitteh is to real cats.

http://orig11.deviantart.net/ee0c/f/2007/195/5/c/mononykus__environment_by_calisius.jpg

https://softdinosaurs.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/mononykus-final-copywtmk.jpg?w=1200

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6a/df/d7/6adfd74a27de57353e6cb73efd2635a7.jpg

stargatedalek

I never said it was accurate, if you look just a few posts up I said it was heavily under feathered. The general proportions don't seem off to me though.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 13, 2015, 05:27:28 PMI never said it was accurate,

No offense, but you kinda did ("That Mononykus is under-feathered but aside from that I don't see any accuracy problems with it. Yah it looks ugly, but ugly doesn't mean inaccurate"). Besides, it's not just the proportions.

stargatedalek

Under feathered = inaccurate :P

And I still don't see anything wrong with it besides that honestly.

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 13, 2015, 09:36:40 PMUnder feathered = inaccurate :P

Hence why I said "kinda" (Again, "aside from [being under feathered] I don't see any accuracy problems with it. Yah it looks ugly, but ugly doesn't mean inaccurate"). :P Seriously though, it's not a big deal if you say something wrong. Just learn from it & move on.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 13, 2015, 09:36:40 PMAnd I still don't see anything wrong with it besides that honestly.

That's what the more accurate reconstructions in my "Prehistoric Kitteh" post are for. You don't see the completely wrong head or really weird skin (Even Oscar's skin doesn't look THAT bad: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1234393/Whos-pretty--er--Oscar-bald-cockatoo-shows-birds-feather-quite-tweet.html )?

stargatedalek

Honestly that's what it's head would probably look like bald, it has those huge eyes and that reconstruction basically looks like a bald owl.

Oh yah it's skin looks like a dead chicken, even the underside of its feet have skin for some reason.

Plasticbeast95

Quote from: insecticon678 on October 12, 2015, 07:15:56 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 12, 2015, 02:25:41 PM

the orca is worse, its back half is all sorts of wrong.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: