News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beautiful Nodosaurid Fossil

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2015, 12:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Balaur

Yutyrannus

That is amazing! I hope it will be published soon :)).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

amargasaurus cazaui

Lol at being preserved in granite, obvious typo there....gorgeous specimen though....imagine working on something like that everyday for seven years
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Tyto_Theropod

UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

MLMjp

Wow ...just wow!
The preservation is unbeliable :o :o

Doug Watson

Wow, I'd love to take a shot at that! Did anyone else notice the little white model in the photo?. It looks like Sauropelta but I don't recognize it.

Here is an article from Suncor, the mining company that found it, there are some other shots of the fossil.
http://www.searchanddiscovery.com/documents/2012/70121hill/ndx_hill.pdf

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 24, 2015, 02:16:12 PM
Wow, I'd love to take a shot at that! Did anyone else notice the little white model in the photo?. It looks like Sauropelta but I don't recognize it.

Please do take a shot at it!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2015, 02:26:59 PM

My fear is it may end up looking too much like Sauropelta.
Here is another shot from the Royal Tyrrell Museum Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/RoyalTyrrell

Doug Watson

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 24, 2015, 02:18:03 AM
Lol at being preserved in granite, obvious typo there....gorgeous specimen though....imagine working on something like that everyday for seven years

Probably ironstone I remember Clayton Kennedy at CMN preparing a specimen from Alberta that was the same, a very soft fossil in "hard as granite" ironstone. It took forever. I am amazed at the minuscule detail that Mark Mitchell is preserving.

Gwangi

Beautiful preservation, it's difficult to believe it's millions of years old. Really give you a sense of what these animals looked like.

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 24, 2015, 02:34:03 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2015, 02:26:59 PM

My fear is it may end up looking too much like Sauropelta.
Here is another shot from the Royal Tyrrell Museum Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/RoyalTyrrell

Is this the model you speak of ?    To be honest, It looks diffrent enough from Sauropelta

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on September 25, 2015, 12:44:51 AM
Is this the model you speak of ?    To be honest, It looks diffrent enough from Sauropelta

No I was talking about white model to the right of the fossil in the image from the first link that suspsy provided.

Takama

This one?

Well is does have a similar look. But wouldn't the length of the spikes be different enough?

Zelan

I got the chance to see that specimen up close when I visited the Royal Tyrrell Museum this summer, it is pretty amazing ^-^

Here are some of the shots I took of it.

Mamasaurus

Wow, that specimen is truly beautiful. I am always amazed how an animal that walked this earth millions of years ago can leave something of itself behind like this.   :)

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on September 25, 2015, 01:27:44 AM
This one?
Well is does have a similar look. But wouldn't the length of the spikes be different enough?

Yes and I think the model is of Sauropelta not a restoration of this specimen. The new dinosaur has more pointed dorsal spikes on top of its neck. Those aren't shown on the model, I think they were just using the model to illustrate what the overall dinosaur might look like. As far as it not being different enough from what I am seeing in shape of head, arrangement of scutes etc it would have to be more significantly different from the neck back for me to recommend.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Zelan on September 25, 2015, 02:11:07 AM
I got the chance to see that specimen up close when I visited the Royal Tyrrell Museum this summer, it is pretty amazing ^-^

Here are some of the shots I took of it.

Remarkable, thank you for sharing.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

amargasaurus cazaui

I do not know for sure if it is a new species but it is not Sauropelta . Much of the problem is the closest relatives to Sauropelta we have are not known from much for remains. (Silvisaurus,Pawpawsaurus) This could possibly be one or the other rather than Sauropelta, and as such not a new species entirely, but one that is not well known from decent remains.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: