News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beautiful Nodosaurid Fossil

Started by suspsy, September 24, 2015, 12:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 25, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
I do not know for sure if it is a new species but it is not Sauropelta . Much of the problem is the closest relatives to Sauropelta we have are not known from much for remains. (Silvisaurus,Pawpawsaurus) This could possibly be one or the other rather than Sauropelta, and as such not a new species entirely, but one that is not well known from decent remains.
Doug had alluded earlier to the fact that the scutes on the neck directly behind the skull were sharp edged or pointed. An interesting aspect of the Sauropelta remains Carpenter published, was the fact much of the armor was found in-situ or intact within the matrix as it would have existed when alive. In particular the neck area where those scutes Doug referenced were recovered. In Sauropelta they are a set of three domed scutes paired down the neck from front to back, wheres this animal has pointed scutes down its neck.
If you wish to directly view the work and see what I am talking about , here is a link to the Sauropelta paper with photographic references that demonstrate these domed scutes. I am referencing Diagram B. It is a feature Carpenter also speaks about within the paper, and Doug captured in his sculpt quite clearly.
It would seem likely this is not Saurpelta based on that information, although where that leaves us..........

http://web.ncf.ca/ee555/LWR/Sauropelta/sauropelta.pdf
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

laticauda

I know its already been said, but it looks amazing!

Takama

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 25, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
I do not know for sure if it is a new species but it is not Sauropelta . Much of the problem is the closest relatives to Sauropelta we have are not known from much for remains. (Silvisaurus,Pawpawsaurus) This could possibly be one or the other rather than Sauropelta, and as such not a new species entirely, but one that is not well known from decent remains.

I hope this turns out to be Silvisaurus. I been wanting to do a model of that species because i thought the name was cool

antorbitalfenestrae

I actually said "Oh!" out loud when I clicked on that first link... that is an incredible fossil, I can't imagine what it must be like in person.

Simon

Doug - Any idea if they found any more of the animal?  Or is this it (ie the rest of it was not preserved)?

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

I don't know why but it reminds me of Desmatosuchus (which is pictured in the photo above.)
It's probably because of the armor. It's so exciting when a dinosaur like this is discovered!
We haven't had many armored dinosaurs recently, huh? It's been mostly sauropods and "raptors".

Doug Watson

Quote from: Simon on December 08, 2015, 03:49:32 AM
Doug - Any idea if they found any more of the animal?  Or is this it (ie the rest of it was not preserved)?

Sorry Simon I wasn't following this thread after the initial posting so didn't see your question. According to the article suspsy just posted it is complete except for the tail which was excavated by Suncor and dumped into the mine pits before they realized what they had. Real shame there.

suspsy

Yeah, that part made me sad. At least Suncor didn't do it on purpose.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr