News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

WANTED: Papo Tyrannosaurus & Velociraptor Box Set

Started by Viking Spawn, September 27, 2015, 10:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking Spawn

WANTED: Papo Tyrannosaurus & Velociraptor Box Set

I've seen this a couple of times on Facebook now and I'm told its some sort of an exclusive.  Does anyone know where I can locate one or know of anyone with one for sale?  I've been searching for over a month now for it to be listed on sale somewhere and so far NO LUCK!   :(

Any information and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance.   ;)

Roselaar

Good question! I kinda forgot about this one. Anyone know what's the deal with this set? How exclusive is it and limited to what territories/sites?

Ikessauro

Roselaar

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 27, 2015, 05:14:26 PM
Wasn't it supposed to hit the stores in October?

But which stores? All of them, or just some of them?

Ikessauro

Quote from: Roselaar on September 27, 2015, 07:54:20 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on September 27, 2015, 05:14:26 PM
Wasn't it supposed to hit the stores in October?

But which stores? All of them, or just some of them?

That's still a mistery for me. Someone here had translated the original Korean?? blog post about these if I'm not mistaken.

Ikessauro

I heard from a friend on Facebook that the T.rex and Raptor repaints are already selling in Europe. Unfortunatelly he couldn't provide any more detailed information.

Takama

I think there Toys R Us Exclusives.

I hope they sell them seperatly because im only interested in the Raptor.

Viking Spawn

I checked a couple of Toys R Us's and so far, nothing.  Hopefully October is the correct release month.   :-\

Roselaar

I'll be sure to check out my local Papo store tomorrow, maybe they can provide an answer.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Roselaar on September 29, 2015, 11:01:04 PM
I'll be sure to check out my local Papo store tomorrow, maybe they can provide an answer.

Thank you Roselaar!  That would be great!   :)

RobinGoodfellow

While I was seeing this new Papo's variation, I was thinking about the whole Papo prehistoric collection.
This is the new and complete (?) Papo's list of models:

Tyrannosaurus - standing - ( green, brown and grey )
Tyrannosaurus - running - ( green and brown )
Allosaurus
Carnotaurus
Velociraptor  ( brown, grey and grey/brown )
Spinosaurus  ( grey and brownish )
Oviraptor
Dimetrodon
Dilophosaurus
Triceratops
Styracosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Parasaurolophus
Brachiosaurus
Stegosaurus ( with many little color variations )
Apatosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Archaeopteryx
Baby Triceratops
Tupuxuara
Baby Tyrannosaurus ( green and brown )
Pteranodon
Plesiosaurus
Tylosaurus
Smilodon
Steppe Mammoth
Mammoth
Baby Mammoth ( 2 different kind )
Woolly Rhino
Prehistoric Men  ( 2 different kind )
Campfire Set
Dodo

Am I right?  Is it complete or I forgot something ?  ???

Roselaar

Checked with the store. They hadn't heard of this set yet, which means that for now it's definitely not a regular world wide release. They were gonna check things out with the distributor, and they'll let me know what they can find out. They were adamant they wouldn't let this turn out a disappointment as was the result with their hunt for the Brown Running Rex. :)

Viking Spawn

Thank you again Roselaar.  I hope your connection can at least give us some more details on this release and/or distribution.

@RobinGoodfellows - Thank you for that list!  I will use it as a reference/checklist. 

:)

Ikessauro

Your check list seems ok, but I would not consider a model a variant when there is no standard color to compare it to. I'll explain. We now know that the T.rex (2005 mold) has variants, the brown color and now this new exclusive limited gray variant are quite diferent from the original one.

The Stegosaurus I could also accept as a new variant, the new paint application is very distinct from the original, even the green tones and washes or dry brushes look different, the plates lack the original white spots. And every model you buy is like that now.

The problem for me is with some other Papo models. I.e. Allosaurus, Spinosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus. They all got updates in their paint application, but most seem very subtle to consider a variant. Spino got a few brighter stripes on the sale and "black lipstick" is seems to me. Pachycephalosaurus new colors are more faint and at the same time brighter yellow than before. Allosaurus has a lot less washes and dry brushes. Instead of variants, they look like models with poor painting.  Also, since they are all hand painted, the new colors vary a lot, the new models remind me of chinasaurs that don't have consistency in their paint job.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Ikessauro on September 30, 2015, 06:43:14 PM
Your check list seems ok, but I would not consider a model a variant when there is no standard color to compare it to. I'll explain. We now know that the T.rex (2005 mold) has variants, the brown color and now this new exclusive limited gray variant are quite diferent from the original one.

The Stegosaurus I could also accept as a new variant, the new paint application is very distinct from the original, even the green tones and washes or dry brushes look different, the plates lack the original white spots. And every model you buy is like that now.

The problem for me is with some other Papo models. I.e. Allosaurus, Spinosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus. They all got updates in their paint application, but most seem very subtle to consider a variant. Spino got a few brighter stripes on the sale and "black lipstick" is seems to me. Pachycephalosaurus new colors are more faint and at the same time brighter yellow than before. Allosaurus has a lot less washes and dry brushes. Instead of variants, they look like models with poor painting.  Also, since they are all hand painted, the new colors vary a lot, the new models remind me of chinasaurs that don't have consistency in their paint job.

It's a solid point of view.
I bought all my Papo collection online ( and I've never seen the most recent Papos in a real shop with my own eyes ).
Very useful considerations, thanks.

@ Viking Spawn:  I have all the Papo models in my collection (with the exception of the color variants and Dodo). For reference: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157659261637412

Ikessauro

Quote from: RobinGoodfellows on September 30, 2015, 07:09:45 PM
I bought all my Papo collection online ( and I've never seen the most recent Papos in a real shop with my own eyes ).

I'm in the same situation, here in Brazil you never see Papos in stores. But I am aware of these paint differences because I buy some Papos and resell them here.

CityRaptor

Similar here. There is a store near that sells them, but all the Dinosaurs ( Papo, Schleich, Bullyland, some Chinasaurs ) there are squashed together on a tiny space which they have to share with Dragons, causing them to get damage to their paint. Them putting a display with farm animals in front of it does not make it better.  Meanwhile horses have a shelf all for themselves...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Viking Spawn

Ikessauro

New, PLEASE, tell me were can I get this one, my Papo collection cannot be incomplete.

Kayakasaurus

Wow! So beautiful. I really like them. Hopefully papo will do more of these repaints.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: