News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2015 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, September 28, 2015, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to ten [10] dioramas

1. Velociraptor rampage
19 (9.7%)
2. The Little Red Riding Hood and Mr. Allosaurus
29 (14.8%)
3. Flight or fancy?
7 (3.6%)
4. Jurassic titans
78 (39.8%)
5. Maternal instincts
7 (3.6%)
6. Family of the forest
54 (27.6%)
7. This Triceratops ain't big enough for the both of us
11 (5.6%)
8. Uninvited guests
70 (35.7%)
9. Rearguard action
18 (9.2%)
10. Uphill battle
5 (2.6%)
11. Born to die
21 (10.7%)
12. Beyond coma and despair (countless days without water)
37 (18.9%)
13. Sushi!
14 (7.1%)
14. Something wicked this way comes
8 (4.1%)
15. Strategizing
17 (8.7%)
16. Last of the evening sun
51 (26%)
17. Eat this leaf son and you'll get stronger
4 (2%)
18. Hunting lesson
12 (6.1%)
19. The day Jimi HendRex couldn't find his guitar...
59 (30.1%)
20. Primeval disagreement
20 (10.2%)
21. The callous reaper
11 (5.6%)
22. Forgotten forest
16 (8.2%)
23. Startled by the vacuum cleaner
44 (22.4%)
24. The triumph of the skies
53 (27%)
25. Ferns for breakfast again
72 (36.7%)
26. Bite me!
0 (0%)
27. Ceratopsian scattering!
26 (13.3%)
28. The endgame
8 (4.1%)
29. Hard to swallow buffet
13 (6.6%)
30. Morning meal
4 (2%)
31. Waterhole trap
8 (4.1%)
32. The reckless Troodon
5 (2.6%)
33. Here comes trouble
49 (25%)
34. A southern meal to go
6 (3.1%)
35. Fight or flight
3 (1.5%)
36. Squabble
16 (8.2%)
37. Eye to eye
4 (2%)
38. Through stormy skies
24 (12.2%)
39. Raptors on the hunt
9 (4.6%)
40. Expedition archive photo #21, Central Africa, 1933
46 (23.5%)
41. T-Rex trouble
19 (9.7%)
42. The wild and the innocents
50 (25.5%)
43. Confronting the raging tyrants
4 (2%)
44. Do you tango? - Argentinian scene
16 (8.2%)
45. Sneaking predator
3 (1.5%)
46. King of the hill
10 (5.1%)
47. Blue lagoon
60 (30.6%)
48. Such a peaceful day
2 (1%)
49. Jurassic chaser
14 (7.1%)
50. Cretaceous clifftop call
31 (15.8%)
51. Nothing to me?
2 (1%)
52. Take me with you
42 (21.4%)
53. Triassica - the feast
11 (5.6%)
54. One for the road
19 (9.7%)
55. When hunger strikes you take risks
15 (7.7%)
56. Euh-ohplocephalus
1 (0.5%)
57. His domain/Triassic sunset
31 (15.8%)
58. Catch
20 (10.2%)
59. Please, Ms. Olorotitan. Do not judge a hadrosaur by the size of his crest
9 (4.6%)
60. Gardeners of the river
50 (25.5%)
61. Chinese chain reaction
30 (15.3%)
62. Let's fight!
3 (1.5%)
63. To go up or to go down? That is the cretacic question
8 (4.1%)
64. Terror stalks lakeside
14 (7.1%)
65. Get out of my tree!
6 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Voting closed: October 28, 2015, 06:50:17 PM

Sim

Quote from: Simon on September 28, 2015, 11:24:47 PM
I have to say that I am surprised that this year's entries do not include a "mass/herd" shot (I am specifically thinking of the pictures that won the past 2 contests).

I'm not so sure about that...

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Sim on October 01, 2015, 01:09:06 AM
Quote from: Simon on September 28, 2015, 11:24:47 PM
I have to say that I am surprised that this year's entries do not include a "mass/herd" shot (I am specifically thinking of the pictures that won the past 2 contests).

I'm not so sure about that...
Yes. There are a few, but not as big as horridus horde winner.

Also, I noticed there are a few diorama pairs that share the same concept, althought execution and ambiance are different.
There is a diorama somehow similar to my las year entry. Any way it is much better in environment and execution.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Sim

Quote from: Megalosaurus on October 01, 2015, 01:21:10 AM
Yes. There are a few, but not as big as horridus horde winner.

Also, I noticed there are a few diorama pairs that share the same concept, althought execution and ambiance are different.
There is a diorama somehow similar to my las year entry. Any way it is much better in environment and execution.

I also noticed some dioramas share the same concept, though their execution is different.  It's interesting seeing how different people show an idea differently!

DinoLord

Personally, scale is very important. I like scenes that are believable not just as toys placed into the modern world but as animals interacting in their natural habitat. That being said, it was difficult to narrow down but I ended up voting for eight choices that really stuck out to me. I look forward to seeing how the voting goes.

Simon

Quote from: DinoLord on October 01, 2015, 02:50:54 AM
Personally, scale is very important. I like scenes that are believable not just as toys placed into the modern world but as animals interacting in their natural habitat. That being said, it was difficult to narrow down but I ended up voting for eight choices that really stuck out to me. I look forward to seeing how the voting goes.

I agree.  Having said that, I re-looked at the pictures and now have found 5 that I think could win.  And one of them I didn't vote for (kicking myself).  Oh well.....if its meant to be, it won't need my vote ...

Tyto_Theropod

I just voted, and I have to say, what a tough choice! Congrats everyone, you really pulled out the stops this year. :D
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Arul

i wish we can have 2 type of category in the future. natural diorama category and handmade diorama category, year after year the contest is getting bigger, this year is 65 entry :D i think the realistic-look is more visible in natural diorama, it might given a slight advantage for natural diorama. except you did a huge effort on the handmade diorama, like the last year winner which i love so much :)

Doug Watson

A lot of great submissions here, congratulations everyone.
I am with you Arul, I would like to see two categories, hand built dioramas and photoshop/location shoots. Of course that means more work for Dr. Admin :-\
Since I built dioramas for a living I am old school and dioramas are hand built not found or built on a computer. As a result in a diorama competition all my votes went to the hand built entries with one clear favourite (I sure hope it was hand built). Bonus points for scratch built dinosaurs or modified commercial dinosaurs.
Don't get me wrong some of the photo shopped ones are truly impressive they just don't meet my definition of a diorama.

stargatedalek

I am also decidedly against copy-pasting photoshop (I'm fine with things like light filtering etc.) being included in the contest, but I myself prefer natural dioramas over hand made ones, especially ones that are like a base for the figure. Don't get me wrong they look good, but I think if you can find the right natural setting a natural setting always has more potential.

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 01, 2015, 03:38:06 PM
I am also decidedly against copy-pasting photoshop (I'm fine with things like light filtering etc.) being included in the contest, but I myself prefer natural dioramas over hand made ones, especially ones that are like a base for the figure. Don't get me wrong they look good, but I think if you can find the right natural setting a natural setting always has more potential.

Problem is photos of models in natural setting aren't dioramas they are better suited for a photography competition. A diorama is a 3D scene with foreground and a background. A well executed diorama should make you think you are looking at a natural setting. The one I am hoping will win does that and again I really hope it isn't photoshopped. The amount of work that is required to pull that off it tenfold compared to taking a photo in nature.

Sim

If dioramas are separated into different categories like hand built and location shoot, I think photoshopped ones should either all be in a third separate category, or left in whatever category they would otherwise be in (hand built/location shoot).  I think building something by hand, creating a scene in an outdoors location, and building/modifying a scene on a computer are all different.

Patrx

Inevitably, we'd end up with ones that don't fit any category specifically. For example, for last year's contest, I used custom figures on a hand-built base, shot in my backyard and modified in Photoshop. :o

stargatedalek

Oh yes it definitely takes a lot more work to create an entire diorama, but it also would heavily limit how many people could enter. Now that you mention it however semantics are very important, and I would be all for changing it to a Dinosaur Toy Photography Contest.

Perhaps there could be three separate categories to begin with, and then the top winners from each go into a main poll.

amargasaurus cazaui

Right and then there are those of us who bought an Island, cloned our own dinosaurs and then photographed them together .....and I think its weird people think thats less work than just building a diorama .......sheesh.  >:( >:( >:( ;D :P
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Doug Watson

From what I read Dr Admin almost didn't run the contest this year because of the amount of work it entails so I wouldn't seriously suggest more categories if it will mean more work for him.

Being the purist I am I just throw my votes at the hand built 3D dioramas and hope the rest of the voters will appreciate the amount of work those require and reward them accordingly. There still enough of them entered to keep this from just being a photography contest. Hopefully that continues.

Megalosaurus

This discussion takes place year after year, and it has never been fructiferous.
So, I surrender. To split this contest will be hard to Dr. Admin, and it will mean either to split the prizes or to duplicate them.

Gwangi

There is a lot to be said about the amount of work and skill that goes into making a handmade diorama. That said, it's not like photographing your dinosaurs in a natural setting is particularly easy work either. It just comes down to the work you're willing to put into it. Anyone can take a picture of a toy sitting on a dirt pile but to find a natural setting that makes your model look in scale with the natural environment is an undertaking in and of itself too. And there is no denying that a natural setting will always look more, well...natural!

Finding that sort of place takes effort, I've had to hike considerable distances and negotiate difficult terrain in order to find the right locations. Even then, you have to make sure the area is clear of natural features that will betray your photograph. Tall grass, leaf litter, rocks and wood can all make your photograph of a toy, look like a toy. It's about creating an illusion. You're trying to make a toy or model look like a large animal out in the wild! Weather, lighting, time of year can all impact your work. You're at the mercy of nature. Some people like myself enjoy that process. They enjoy the excuse to hike in nature, scout out locations, prepare a spot and find that right angle. Other people would rather make the environment from scratch and make a classic style diorama.

Nether process is superior to the other, work is involved either way. What matters is the end product and I would hate to see a serious contender for the win miss out on votes simply because the picture was "taken outside". One could equally make the claim that it's easy to go to a hobby shop, buy fake plants and scatter them around your model. Of course that claim simplifies that process too. And even Photoshop requires a level of skill, a skill that I don't have. It's not my preference either but if the end product is convincing enough then I can at least admire the work that went into it. As long as the entry isn't lazy, it has my respect.

DinoToyForum

The term 'diorama' in this context has a different meaning to its traditional one, but I still think the word is suitable shorthand for what we are doing here - trying to create realistic prehistoric scenes using models. Even if many entries are not dioramas in the traditional sense, they are still trying to achieve the same thing.

The concept of a diorama is making a transition into the digital age and it is exciting! The entries are presented as two-dimensional photographs out of necessity because this is an internet forum. The internet is the only viable way to have such a contest open for the entire world to participate and we have to be as flexible as possible to be as inclusive as possible. Unless we all meet up each year to gather around and judge physical dioramas and appreciate them in all their three-dimensional glory, there's no alternative. Maybe we can reconsider when we all have 3D laser scanners in our homes in a couple of decades (Dinotoyforum Diorama Contest 3D, anyone?).

Honestly, I think the variety of methods adds to the success of the contest. I judge the entries based on the end result and only consider the method by which each was created secondarily, but each of us has our own personal tastes and that's fine.  :)

Megalosaurus

Well said Gwangi.
I traveled 1 hr in car and 2 on foot to find a good place to take my picture.
There were some wasps in the área. My younger friend was scared.
We had fun. It was an adventure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: