News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Horridus Collection [New Favorite soft models]

Started by Horridus, March 13, 2012, 07:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Wow, i can barly tell that was a Safari T-rex. great job Niroot

Tylosaurus

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 21, 2012, 09:07:18 PM
...Thus is my foolishness confirmed and magnified.  :-[  :-[ Thank you for the kind words and my apologies.

*Crawls away to hide*
Hey man you did great really, don't feel sad  :-\
Really that is some good work you did for your friend Horridus it really is!
Nothing to be sad about bro ;)

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Takama on March 21, 2012, 09:52:48 PM

Exactly what I was thinking! :o

Himmapaan

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 22, 2012, 02:42:30 AM
Quote from: Takama on March 21, 2012, 09:52:48 PM

Exactly what I was thinking! :o
I didn't paint the Sue T. rex, Takama and Zopteryx. I only sent it along with the Krentz T. rex, which I did paint. :) Marc had also pointed this out. ;)

The Sue was painted by a former member. I recently acquired a set of them, so decided to send a few to friends. :)

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: Horridus on March 20, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: Brachiosaurus on March 20, 2012, 09:32:16 PM
What scales are the trceratops carcass and the therizinosaurus?

They're in the 1:50 - 1:40 range.

Quote from: brontodocus on March 20, 2012, 09:23:41 PM
I remember someone often saying things like "ah, the feet, it's always the feet with me" (if only I could remember who said that ;D )...

I have no idea who you mean.

Yeah, I do like the feet on that one, but I also really like the feet on the original JP rex, believe it or not. I think they're nicely done...

By the way, this pic turned out well but...ouch, the dust!

YES!!!!!! thanks

Horridus

A new tyrannosaur. Sadly, not furry.

At least now I don't have to decide whether to have the mouth open or closed!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gwangi

So now with the discovery of Yutyrannus I assume you won't be buying non-feathered Tyrannosaurus made post 2012?  ;)

Horridus

Quote from: Gwangi on April 04, 2012, 11:51:05 PM
So now with the discovery of Yutyrannus I assume you won't be buying non-feathered Tyrannosaurus made post 2012?  ;)
Yutyrannus was a tyrannosauroid*, not a tyrannosaurid - for the really big Late Cretaceous guys it could still turn out either way. We just need the bloody fossils...

*Although Darren Naish thinks it shows many similarities to Concavenator!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Tylosaurus

You can always mod one of those T-Rex's with feathers to get a similar effect ;) I'd take Down feathers  from a pillow and apply them to the T-Rex with glue, just an idea that popped into my mind :)

Gwangi

Quote from: Horridus on April 05, 2012, 06:03:25 PM
Yutyrannus was a tyrannosauroid*, not a tyrannosaurid - for the really big Late Cretaceous guys it could still turn out either way. We just need the bloody fossils...

Sounds like an excuse to me. There is no known feather evidence for Utahraptor or Deinonychus is there? If coelurosaurs have feathers and tyrannosauroids have feathers and if other teropods that are not even coelurosaurs have feathers than a naked Tyrannosaurus should be out of the question no?

Edit: Besides, you're the one who mentioned that your new Tyrannosaur wasn't fuzzy, you brought this on yourself.

stoneage

Quote from: Horridus on April 05, 2012, 06:03:25 PM

Darren Naish also thought that Samrukia nessovi was a giant bird.  He was totally convinced in fact that it was a bird.  He said "It was evident from the start that it was specifically (a jaw bone) from a bird".  He also suggested that it was close to Ichthyornis.  Here is another quote," While I agree with the majority of my colleagues that naming new taxa for very scrappy remains should be avoided where possible, I'm also of the opinion that you should give names to things when you can clearly distinguish them from other things. If, in a fossil animal, you find autapomorphies – that is, unique, previously unreported anatomical features – you're obliged to name what you have. Based on incomplete mandibular rami or not, our giant Kazakh bird jaw therefore needs a name, and hence Samrukia nessovi was born. The generic name is a nod to the Samruk, a mythological, phoenix-like Kazakh bird, while the specific name honours the contribution to Central Asian vertebrate palaeontology of the late Lev Nessov (1947-1995)."

However it turns out that Samrukia is a large Pterosaur, and not a bird.  Eric Buffetant criticized the Naish et al. analysis for not including pterosaurs, only birds and dinosaurs.

Samrukia nessovi, from the Late Cretaceous of Kazakhstan: A large
pterosaur, not a giant bird
Eric Buffetaut,

Abstract
Samrukia nessovi was described as a giant bird on the basis of a pair
of mandibular rami from the Late Cretaceous of Kazakhstan. Anatomical
comparison shows that the specimen bears no distinctive avian
characters, and that its purported autapomorphies, as well as all its
other characters, are in fact well-known pterosaurian features. The
published phylogenetic analysis placing Samrukia within Aves is flawed
because it did not include pterosaurs. Samrukia nessovi is clearly a
large pterosaur, not a giant bird.

tyrantqueen

QuoteA new tyrannosaur. Sadly, not furry.

Did I miss something....? Tyrannosaurus Rex was furry? Since when? :o

BTW Horridus, that's a great collection of the world's most famous dinosaur  8) I like the SEGA, brown Papo and JP Rexes in the background.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 06, 2012, 03:45:53 AM

BTW Horridus, that's a great collection of the world's most famous dinosaur  8) I like the SEGA, brown Papo and JP Rexes in the background.

There's a thread on it in the "In the News" section. 8)  How'd all this stuff from that thread get here anyway?

Cool new brown Papo Rex Horridus, but what's with the tip of its snout?  It looks like it's turning into a robot! :o

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Zopteryx on April 06, 2012, 05:52:23 AM

There's a thread on it in the "In the News" section. 8)  How'd all this stuff from that thread get here anyway?

Cool new brown Papo Rex Horridus, but what's with the tip of its snout?  It looks like it's turning into a robot! :o
I saw that, but I thought it was talking about Chinese fuzzy tyrannosaurs...not Tyrannosaurus Rex....

Also, you're right...it does look like it's turning into a robot. LOL XD Did the paint rub off?

Dyscrasia

Yes, that is a very impressive collection of' T. rexes'.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 06, 2012, 06:51:56 AM

I saw that, but I thought it was talking about Chinese fuzzy tyrannosaurs...not Tyrannosaurus Rex....

Also, you're right...it does look like it's turning into a robot. LOL XD Did the paint rub off?

It was but if there were large fuzzy tyrannosaurs in China than it stands to reason that Tyrannosaurus was also fuzzy. We don't really know that, but these fuzzy Chinese animals make a good case for it.

Horridus

Quote from: Gwangi on April 05, 2012, 09:35:25 PM
Sounds like an excuse to me. There is no known feather evidence for Utahraptor or Deinonychus is there? If coelurosaurs have feathers and tyrannosauroids have feathers and if other teropods that are not even coelurosaurs have feathers than a naked Tyrannosaurus should be out of the question no?

Edit: Besides, you're the one who mentioned that your new Tyrannosaur wasn't fuzzy, you brought this on yourself.
I did, which is why it isn't 'an excuse'. :P I'd love for there to be more feathered Tyrannosaurus figures. However, it's not the same as with Utahraptor or Deinonychus. Those are dromaeosaurids, and there is direct evidence for fully feathered dromaeosaurids - not just simple 'protofeathers' either, but 'advanced' feathers, like birds. The same does not exist for tyrannosaurids, but it does look increasingly likely based, as you say, on phylogenetic inference. The fact is, it can go either way right now, and I'd love to see more furry tyrannosaurid toys. (This is putting it rather clumsily of course; the mere fact that Deinonychus and Utahraptor are maniraptors would guarantee their featheriness. But you get the idea, I hope.)

Besides, what about everything else that's wrong with this T. rex, like the anatomically impossible position of the forearms and tail, or the incorrect proportions...? ;)

Stoneage: yes, I'm aware that Darren Naish is not infallible.
@Mhorridus

Gwangi

Quote from: Horridus on April 07, 2012, 10:47:33 PM
I did, which is why it isn't 'an excuse'. :P I'd love for there to be more feathered Tyrannosaurus figures. However, it's not the same as with Utahraptor or Deinonychus. Those are dromaeosaurids, and there is direct evidence for fully feathered dromaeosaurids - not just simple 'protofeathers' either, but 'advanced' feathers, like birds. The same does not exist for tyrannosaurids, but it does look increasingly likely based, as you say, on phylogenetic inference. The fact is, it can go either way right now, and I'd love to see more furry tyrannosaurid toys. (This is putting it rather clumsily of course; the mere fact that Deinonychus and Utahraptor are maniraptors would guarantee their featheriness. But you get the idea, I hope.)

Besides, what about everything else that's wrong with this T. rex, like the anatomically impossible position of the forearms and tail, or the incorrect proportions...? ;)

Stoneage: yes, I'm aware that Darren Naish is not infallible.

Sometimes it's just too easy.  ;)

Horridus

Quote from: Gwangi on April 07, 2012, 11:06:02 PM
What do you mean...?
@Mhorridus

Gwangi

Quote from: Horridus on April 07, 2012, 11:08:39 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on April 07, 2012, 11:06:02 PM
What do you mean...?

To get people agitated. I realize the flaws in my argument and I already know everything you've told me. My original comment was made in jest but it seems you took it pretty seriously. I apologize for any "ruffled feathers", proto or otherwise. I guess I'm guilty of trolling.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: