News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2016, 04:19:52 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on January 29, 2016, 07:17:42 AM
Please post more pics of the feathered Velociraptor.Having seen it now,it looks better than the catalog.More gracile.It looks absolutely stunning,and thanks god it's not awesomebro.I don't like the Baryonyx because it's very inaccurate and is awesomebro.That said,the Kaprosuchus looks alive!
My favorite,I have to say,is the Velociraptor.

I agree about the Baryonyx.  I would have agreed the Velociraptor isn't "awesomebro" if it's head wasn't.
"awesomebro"?

Sim

Hehe!  There was a period when "awesomebro" was quite used on this forum and other places on the internet that dealt with prehistoric animals.  I haven't seen it used for a while now. I haven't missed seeing it used.  It basically means a prehistoric animal restoration, usually of a dinosaur, prioritises it looking dangerous and/or cool at the cost of accuracy and/or looking natural.  I really liked Patrx's definition of it! :)):
Quote from: Patrx on April 03, 2015, 07:02:37 PM
Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.

How's that? I don't want to make it sound like a bad thing or a good thing specifically*, just to describe it.

*...Even though I personally think it's a bad thing.

Dilopho

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2016, 04:51:10 PM
Hehe!  There was a period when "awesomebro" was quite used on this forum and other places on the internet that dealt with prehistoric animals.  I haven't seen it used for a while now. I haven't missed seeing it used.  It basically means a prehistoric animal restoration, usually of a dinosaur, prioritises it looking dangerous and/or cool at the cost of accuracy and/or looking natural.  I really liked Patrx's definition of it! :)):
Awesomebro: An aesthetic paradigm which exaggerates or invents strange, dramatic and/or dangerous aspects of prehistoric life, sometimes ignoring research or referring to outdated ideas.

How's that? I don't want to make it sound like a bad thing or a good thing specifically*, just to describe it.

Like this?
I think it' funny. We should start a thread like this, like the palaeofail thread but just for awesome dinobros  ;D ;)

Sim

That thing is just hideous and awful, there's nothing awesome about it!  I hope it's been destroyed.

Patrx

^ Mostly, that thing just looks like a bigger version of the REBOR Utahraptor! But, I digress. John Conway coined the term "awesomebro" a few years back, and it quickly became popular with dinosaur nerds.

From the looks of it, Papo's new dromaeosaur veers in that direction a bit, particularly around the face. It's shrink-wrapped and has reticulae all over it  :o Also, I'm pretty sure I can see the outline of its hip bones in that photo from above. Still, dromaeosaur toys are usually so bad that one takes what one can get.

Silvanusaurus

Purely based on these new photographs (which are not too clear), my biggest issue with the new feathered raptor is that the feathers themselves look shrink-wrapped onto it. They don't appear to actually have any volume or add any extra shape to the underlying body, which doesn't really make sense. They looked a lot better based on the original catalogue image, so maybe it's just the angle.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on January 29, 2016, 04:56:11 PM

Like this?
I think it' funny. We should start a thread like this, like the palaeofail thread but just for awesome dinobros  ;D ;)

No need to destroy it. the base model looks fine.  i'd strip those feathers and rework it.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Like this?

We already have one, http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3850.0
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Halichoeres

Quote from: PainterRex on January 29, 2016, 06:23:55 PM

Like this?

We already have one, http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3850.0
I really thought that was going to link to the Rebor general discussion thread.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

I think it will take a long time until we get a feathered raptor that has everything a dromeosaur needs to have.

• Feathered covering on the head
  • Complete wings attached to the second finger
  • Those feathers on the tail(I don't know what they are called)
  • Only the snout and feet are naked
  • Volume of the feathers

I think the last one is probably going to be the thing that we probably would not get in a long time. Maybe some day someone will make a feathered raptor that gets everything correct. But I think that the volume of the feathers is going to be hardest thing to get, because it will "change" the silhouette of the raptor making it "too bird like". Companies are getting into more accurate and feathered dinos, but I think they are still somewhat afraid, which results into the "mistakes" that feathered dinosaur figures have. But at least we are progressing

Papo´s feathered raptor is the first dromaeosaur toy with complete wings that attach the the second finger (If you don't count the Safari toob mini one).Which, for me it automatically makes it one of the best dromeosaur figures. It suffers of naked head and lack of volume in feathers, so the carnegie one does. Fortunately we are getting closer. But It will take some time, especially with the lack of volume of the feathers. I am pretty sure that the REBOR Deinonychus, despite the fact that they said it will be fully feathered, will suffer from it . But that the way it is.

For now I think we should buy what we have despite their flaws, hoping that companies will see that feathered dinosaurs are worth it.

Patrx

Man, MLMjp, I think you might be right about how long it will take before someone gets it right but I certainly hope not! I've gone and pre-ordered the Papo dromaeosaur despite its glaring flaws, because, as you say, the more money we collectors are willing to spend on these things, the less fearful companies will be about feathery "raptors". Someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, one of the major toy manufacturers will represent Velociraptor as the fluffy little stem-bird it really was!

terrorchicken

QuoteHehe!  There was a period when "awesomebro" was quite used on this forum and other places on the internet that dealt with prehistoric animals.  I haven't seen it used for a while now. I haven't missed seeing it used.  It basically means a prehistoric animal restoration, usually of a dinosaur, prioritises it looking dangerous and/or cool at the cost of accuracy and/or looking natural.  I really liked Patrx's definition of it! :)):

I thought it was one of those forum swear filters lol.  ;D

Bfler

I like the new Velociraptor. When is release?

And I could swear the Baryonyx is a copy of an alien/monster from a videogame or movie.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Bfler on January 31, 2016, 10:29:27 AM

The feathered one or the repaint???

Dan

And I could swear the Baryonyx is a copy of an alien/monster from a videogame or movie.

The head of the Papo "Baryonyx" is clearly based on a popular Spinosaurus reconstruction by paleoartist Todd Marshall. The original artwork can be seen here:

A limited supply of the 2015 special edition Papo models are now in stock from DansDinosaurs.com

Viking Spawn

That artwork is awesome!  Nice choice to model off of!

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Dan on February 01, 2016, 01:18:47 AM

The head of the Papo "Baryonyx" is clearly based on a popular Spinosaurus reconstruction by paleoartist Todd Marshall. The original artwork can be seen here:

I have to say that personally I think Papo seriously improved upon this design, their Baryonyx's head far outshines that one, it's much more refined and coherent. Bravo, Papo.

Bfler

Quote from: imnewhere on January 31, 2016, 05:21:40 PM

The feathered one or the repaint???

The feathered one. He looks much better than my old Bullyland Velociraptor

POP of FAN

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 01, 2016, 07:51:05 AM

I have to say that personally I think Papo seriously improved upon this design, their Baryonyx's head far outshines that one, it's much more refined and coherent. Bravo, Papo.

I was told that Mr.Seo spent nearly a month for that head sculpt alone. ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 01, 2016, 07:51:05 AM

That image is a Spinosaurus actually, not a super accurate one either, but it is old.

I think it's more similar to Felipe Elias work, his Bary :

His Spino:

the head is a very nice Spinosaurus one , only problem i see is it's on a Baryonyx..but maybe younger/older than the ones we know of.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: