News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

I'm no paleontology expert, nor an expert on dromaeosaurs, but I'm reasonably certain no known raptors have a crest like that.  To be frank, I think the body is reasonably well done, but with a rather "movie"-ish head.  Which, to me, is part of the charm.  I just hope it's not as small as it seems like it will be.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

We still dont have a good quality picture of feathered velociraptor. So we cant see it from another angle, coloration of the figure, and the detail of it. Hope someone post a better picture asap

tyrantqueen

Quote from: empire3569 on February 03, 2016, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 03, 2016, 09:06:46 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 03, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
I have been to a conference in my Museum of Natural Sciences and a scientific advisor from a recognized university UNED whose name I keep anonymous for respect and who is the creator of dinosaurs in tablets by a professor of paleontology and member of the Royal Academy of Science in my nation that has contributed to the project, said dinosaurs Papo but are very detailed unfortunately his reconstructions as already noted in the forum are not scientific and that they can be considered most of the figures as film .

This is the clarification he has done and I wanted to convey, without wishing to oust the prestige of the company Papo, which am a collector, but I think it necessary to comment without necessarily those opinions are vinculates with mine. I do not stop being a mere collector of dinosaurs.

Most of us already agree with that assessment.

Agreed. The main reason I collect Papo is because of their similarity to JP

I don't think the statement that Papos are JP clones is really accurate any more. That could be said for their earliest figures but they've moved away from that. They're taking influence from Sideshow and popular artist reconstructions.

That being said, I avoid all of Papo's stuff that is an obvious JP or movie homage (Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus) because I have no interest in collecting JP, but I buy mostly everything else. The inaccuracies aren't enough to put me off of the rest of the sculpt. Some of them can be updated with a little customising.

They are still very pop culture influenced but I hope they move more and more away from it as time goes on.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 04, 2016, 12:08:22 AM
I have been to a conference in my Museum of Natural Sciences and a scientific advisor from a recognized university UNED whose name I keep anonymous for respect and who is the creator of dinosaurs in tablets by a professor of paleontology and member of the Royal Academy of Science in my nation that has contributed to the project, said dinosaurs Papo but are very detailed unfortunately his reconstructions as already noted in the forum are not scientific and that they can be considered most of the figures as film .

This is the clarification he has done and I wanted to convey, without wishing to oust the prestige of the company Papo, which am a collector, but I think it necessary to comment without necessarily those opinions are vinculates with mine. I do not stop being a mere collector of dinosaurs.

Absolutely. The fact that the Dilophosaurus and Apatosaurus look nothing like their JP counterparts is evidence of this. I wouldn't even say that the Stegosaurus looks to be very influenced by JP.

I don't think the statement that Papos are JP clones is really accurate any more. That could be said for their earliest figures but they've moved away from that. They're taking influence from Sideshow and popular artist reconstructions.

That being said, I avoid all of Papo's stuff that is an obvious JP or movie homage (Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus) because I have no interest in collecting JP, but I buy mostly everything else. The inaccuracies aren't enough to put me off of the rest of the sculpt. Some of them can be updated with a little customising.

They are still very pop culture influenced but I hope they move more and more away from it as time goes on.

empire3569

Haha I am the exact opposite, I have most of their JP figures but only a couple of the more recent ones (Apatosaurus which is my favorite figure of theirs, Dilophosaurus, and Carnotaurus), and I have those because they are mentioned in JP novels. I refuse to get their Spinosaurus though, I opted for the new CollectA one instead  :P

tanystropheus

EDIT

oscars_dinos

I think papo has slightly been getting better at making more scientifically sound figures over the years.... I know how much every one is complaining about the bary and I know we just discussed the head of the raptor but I mean hey they went from having jp scaly raptors to having a feathered raptor....I have hope that they will get better in the coming years

Viking Spawn

I simply buy Papos because they are artistically detailed and very COOL!  Nuff said. 

sauroid

they look like resin figures, accurate or not. and i love them.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Viking Spawn on February 04, 2016, 04:51:59 AM
I simply buy Papos because they are artistically detailed and very COOL!  Nuff said. 

I think that's why a lot of us buy them. I was one of those who got into Papo because of the JP tie in several years ago. But now, I'm more interested in scientific accuracy and am happy to see them mostly making progress in that direction.

Dyscrasia

I don't know if it's just me, but the feathered velociraptor seems to be heavily inspired by Nicholas Fonseca's deinonychus.

tyrantqueen

JurassicGeek09

Finally, someone else who shares my opinion, lol. I'll say this much. The only reason I own the brown Standing Rex is because it was given to me as an Xmas gift in 2013 and I recently bought the 2015 Rainbow Rex purely because I like the paint scheme. It's the same reason I plan on acquiring the Rainbow Running Rex. Despite their inherent flaws, at least the paint job makes up for it because it's colourful. Not too many dino toy makers have vivid large theropods. Heck, I'd consider buying the Spinosaurus if they repainted it as vividly. Previous to the new Rexes, the colour schemes were bleh.

On that topic, today, after about a year of hemming and hawing, I bought the Allosaurus. I avoided it for the longest time because I didn't care for what I feel is a hyper-stylized head (rage-filled expression it sports) but the more I looked at it, the less it bothered me now to the point where I don't notice it anymore. I just wish it didn't have pronated wrists. Other than that, it's a spectacular figure.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

postsaurischian

Moodyraptor

I'm still dubious on it, waiting to let others buy it and report back... hopefully some of the others will start appearing soon too though.  I'm keen to get my hands on feathery raptor and stripey rex.

oscars_dinos

I usually just wait for amazon to get them in stock

DinoLord

Huh, I wonder if that's actually the supposed retail price...

empire3569

Dan's Dinosaurs has it available for preorder for 40$, I think it's just gonna be an expensive model

JurassicGeek09

When it hits Mastermind Toys shelves in Canada, I imagine it'll retail for $35.99. I can't see it being more than the Spinosaurus.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: