News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Cassowary, ground horn-bills, king and emperor penguins, flamingos, the list goes on of large birds with bright and intricate patterns. Aside from the pachyderms the vast majority of those examples you posted are far more vibrant than anything Papo has produced, even the rainbow rex. Anaconda, bustards, monitor lizards, and emperor penguins are all actually particularly vibrant, you just didn't choose the best photos.

JurassicGeek09

Anybody looking for vibrant dinosaur colour-schemes should turn to Julius Csotonyi's work as a matter of habit. Aside from his polka-dot Trike, his dinosaurs always look amazing.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

suspsy

Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on March 10, 2016, 10:13:00 PM
Anybody looking for vibrant dinosaur colour-schemes should turn to Julius Csotonyi's work as a matter of habit. Aside from his polka-dot Trike, his dinosaurs always look amazing.

Csotonyi is probably the best paleoartist in the business right now. Also a really awesome, highly likable dude. :)

John Conway and Mark Witton also do some very colourful dinosaurs. And then there's Luis V. Rey, whose art people either adore or abhor.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

terrorchicken

Quote from: suspsy on March 10, 2016, 11:21:38 PM
Quote from: JurassicGeek09 on March 10, 2016, 10:13:00 PM

Csotonyi is probably the best paleoartist in the business right now. Also a really awesome, highly likable dude. :)

John Conway and Mark Witton also do some very colourful dinosaurs. And then there's Luis V. Rey, whose art people either adore or abhor.

googled these guys up. Very nice, wow!  Conway's has a very eerie feel. I see he's also responsible for the "skullcat".  ;D

I was already familiar with Luis Rey and I do love his art, very dynamic...  8)

Kovu

Quote from: suspsy on March 10, 2016, 11:23:45 AM
You're like so many other human beings, Kovu, allowing your imagination to be limited by the organisms surrounding you today. Our present day world is not the world of dinosaurs. They're under no obligation to adhere by the natural colour restrictions on mammals or select birds.

Personally, I'd love it if Papo ditched its old colour schemes entirely.

I agree with you that Papo needs to drop some of the super dull early colors. But I disagree that we shouldn't use our natural modern world in reconstructions. Using the known color pallets, I feel we can make more educated guesses that incorporate both the science and our imaginations.
Reconstructing prehistoric animals and environments is part art and part science, and neither can overpower the other. They need to work together like a marriage. I think it would be safe to say that using modern animals from similar ecological niches as a jumping off point in reconstructing dinosaur colors is a good place to be. Look at the known colors of dinosaurs. Sinornithosaurus was reddish brown, black, grey and yellow, Sinosauropteryx was reddish brown with white stripes on its tail. These weren't vibrantly colored animals, but they were vibrantly and intricately patterned.

I think part of this might also be different definitions of the words dull and vibrant. When I think vibrant, I think the CameoXtreme or Chaos Effect lines and those just don't look natural. They are very visually appealing, don't get me wrong, very bright colors. But they're hard to imagine on a large living animal. The animals I posted all borrow from more-or-less the same color palette, the patterns are what makes them stand out though.

Quote from: Viking Spawn on March 10, 2016, 02:21:12 PM
I understand the point he is trying to make.  Everyone wants accuracy here and he's going by the blue print of the animal kingdom that works today which may or may not have started in prehistory. 

The fact of the matter is, we will never know what they really looked like in the flesh.  Hence, that's where the imagination comes into play.

This! Its safe to assume that the biological processes alive today are continuations of what was happening in the past.

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 10, 2016, 05:11:03 PM
Cassowary, ground horn-bills, king and emperor penguins, flamingos, the list goes on of large birds with bright and intricate patterns. Aside from the pachyderms the vast majority of those examples you posted are far more vibrant than anything Papo has produced, even the rainbow rex. Anaconda, bustards, monitor lizards, and emperor penguins are all actually particularly vibrant, you just didn't choose the best photos.

I 100% agree and my apologies if that didn't come across in my original post. I was going more for the colors, which are generally the same base colors of shades of browns, blacks, grays, reds, yellows and tans with splashes of bright colors, like the penguins and the cassowary.
I think the main point I was trying to make is that the natural world uses a lot of the same base colors, regardless of being mammals, reptiles or birds, but the patterns and "accent" colors are what makes them pop. I 100% agree that Papo uses dull pachyderm-ish colors on their animals. I just think there's a happy medium between the dull Paposaur colors and the CameoXtreme/Chaos Line colors and that's where modern animals are, and, it isn't unrealistic to assume thats where dinosaurs fell as well.

Also, this all goes towards large-bodied dinosaurs. I definitely believe that smaller dinosaurs could be brightly colored like modern songbirds, parrots, etc.

suspsy

Kovu, you're still trying to apply the rules of today's natural world to one that vanished 65,000,000 years ago. There's simply no solid evidence or good reason to think that dinosaurs inherently followed the same colour rules as modern mammals. Granted, some of them probably were relatively bland in colour, but it's perfectly acceptable to surmise that a ceratopsian, a sauropod, or a tyrannosaur could well have been decked out in bright, vivid, elaborate patterns. Indeed, part of the fun about recreating dinosaurs is that paleoartists and toy companies have that leeway to come up with new and exciting schemes for their subjects.

Shoot, Jack Horner urged the use of bright colours for the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, but Spielberg insisted that dark, dull colours were scarier. Sigh.

Kovu

I don't disagree that they could've been decked out in bright, vivid patterns. I 100% agree with that, but patterns and colors are separate. I love the Mark Witton Tyrannosaurus you posted, that looks natural. I just think that, without evidence to the contrary, using the modern world as a base is a safe method of reconstructing past environments. I could be wrong. We both could both be wrong. That's the thing, we'll never really know. Right now, its just two different approaches, both of which are valid.

suspsy

Those are all still way more colourful than most Papo figures and most modern mammals. :)

Kovu

Idk, I'd say some of them are pretty comparable to modern mammals, particularly the Medusaceratops and Apatosaurus, and definitely to modern reptiles and birds. But I don't see them as vibrantly colored, rather, vibrantly patterned.

But, to bring this all back to Papo. Yes, I think they are very dull and not that believably colored or patterned. The more I hang around this forum, the more I'm seeing them as monster-esque creatures and less naturalistic.

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, Microraptor had the same colors as modern Ravens, and Anchiornis had the same colors as most Woodpeckers, so theres nothing wrong with basing dinosaur colors off of modern dinosaurs. However I, love bright colors and intricate patterns on dinosaurs. I think that with such a wide range of species, there are many different color combinations possible. Which is why I love CollectA's color choices for their dinosaurs, although this years colors are kinda dull. And I like how Papo is moving toward more color on their originally dull dinosaurs.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Saurox

I'm glad papo haven't taken to doing a feathers T. rex yet. With the biggest tyrannosaur with feathers being Yutyrannus currently. Of course it's a high probability that bigger members of the group may have had them, but I'd like any changes to be off the back of recently discovered evidence and not presumption.

stargatedalek

Quote from: masakira on March 15, 2016, 12:30:15 PM
I'm glad papo haven't taken to doing a feathers T. rex yet. With the biggest tyrannosaur with feathers being Yutyrannus currently. Of course it's a high probability that bigger members of the group may have had them, but I'd like any changes to be off the back of recently discovered evidence and not presumption.
They wouldn't be accurate anyway unless they were entirely new sculpts.

suspsy

Quote from: masakira on March 15, 2016, 12:30:15 PM

Phylogenetics isn't presumption. And as stargate already noted, Papo has plenty of corrections to make to their T. rex design before they even consider feathers.

CityRaptor

Way too many changes to just be a remold.

Quote from: Kovu on March 11, 2016, 02:50:36 AM
Idk, I'd say some of them are pretty comparable to modern mammals, particularly the Medusaceratops and Apatosaurus, and definitely to modern reptiles and birds. But I don't see them as vibrantly colored, rather, vibrantly patterned.

If you look at the "Rainbow Rex", that one is also not too brightly colored. Yes, it is colorful, but not too bright, nothing like the Chaos Effect colors Charlie P. compared them to. But thinking about it, Charlie P. seemed to be more against the scheme because they were not in Jurassic Park Movie colors.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Everything_Dinosaur

The quirky Papo Baryonyx is now in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Papo Baryonyx

MLMjp

Speaking about T.rex and feathers........What happened to the feathered raptor and rainbow running Tyrannosaurus??!!!!!

ChubbyTaco

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 16, 2016, 05:38:50 PM
The quirky Papo Baryonyx is now in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Papo Baryonyx

The papo baryonyx is costlier than papo spinosaurus. But we can see more details than the spinosaurus. Nice. :)

Saurox

Quote from: MLMjp on March 16, 2016, 06:48:14 PM
Speaking about T.rex and feathers........What happened to the feathered raptor and rainbow running Tyrannosaurus??!!!!!

It's all gone quite on that front hasn't it  :(

I've contacted a few online outlets and all I get is the same old 'it'll be in stock 'soon' spiel, which pretty much equates to 'they haven't the foggiest.  8)

Shonisaurus

I pass the following video velociraptor Feathered Papo 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H29zo93tlp0

The figure looks magnificent and beautiful

Arul

Thank you Shonisaurus :) the video show the figure from all angle unfortunately the lighting is too bright and sometimes the camera cant focus, but this video is increasing my excitement for papo feathered vraptor, cant wait until they finally available in indonesia :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: